Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What tech level is your Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  02:18:48  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know how divisive things like firearms in fantasy or anything resembling steampunk can be, and I know a linear model of “progress” is garbage, but I’d love to know: what’s the average level of technology and sophistication in your take on the setting? What’s the upper limits of it? I’m curious to see if anyone’s games go Renaissance or further, or dabble in a more magitech direction like Eberron does.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  02:56:44  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Renaissance Magetech is the level of technology for most of my Realms. Magic is just starting to become a bit more common place, but it's not common yet. So most places have eversharp knives and everburing candles. Some places like Cromyr and Tethyr like to keep magic more ''mysterious" then practical. Neverwinter, Baldur's Gate, Amn and Lantan go for the Tech like approach.

Some places like the North and Dalelands have very little magic.
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  03:29:55  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No guns.

No steampunk.

'Trinket magic' is a lot easier/flexible to get. It's easy enough to have a real broom that sweeps itself. Might be the only thing in the household that is magical, though. Grandma's passed down jewelry box actually has an illusionary fairy dancing to the tune. The family estate may have a doorlock that is magical to try and bar all ordinary entry at night; all family members are taught the glyphs and command word.

Definitely not Harry Potter level of everything has to run with magic, but probably at least all common folk see some form of a helpful magic once in a week.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  03:39:52  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

No guns.

No steampunk.

'Trinket magic' is a lot easier/flexible to get. It's easy enough to have a real broom that sweeps itself. Might be the only thing in the household that is magical, though. Grandma's passed down jewelry box actually has an illusionary fairy dancing to the tune. The family estate may have a doorlock that is magical to try and bar all ordinary entry at night; all family members are taught the glyphs and command word.

Definitely not Harry Potter level of everything has to run with magic, but probably at least all common folk see some form of a helpful magic once in a week.

What you describe is basically how Eberron treats things, though with a few larger-scale conveniences as well.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  03:40:20  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No firearms or smoke powder in mine. The rich in large cities probably have a Nchaser's glowing globe or two. A recent discovery are spells that can heat and cool a home (the magic is based on Leomund's tiny hut) and one that can preserve food (neither of those have gotten any kind of market penetration). Otherwise, there are certain locations with things like movable type printing presses. Windmills, lightning rods, waterwheels, dams, and Archimedes screws are fairly common. I am still trying to wrap my head around how water is supplied in the larger cities. Maybe there was a couple wizard brothers that went around from city to city setting up the water supply for the city (the M'ari'o brothers, maybe).

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  03:40:23  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Realms are closer to canon, save for Laerakond, that I don't know why I believed it had an Eberronian level of technology. So, in Laerakond you have wide-magic stuff. At least in my version of Laerakond.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

lookatroopa
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  04:25:47  Show Profile Send lookatroopa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to go with whatever's canon for the most part. If there are blanks to fill in for contemporary Faerûn I kinda mix-and-match, from all the way back to the Late Period and classical antiquity up to the end of the Age of Sail (with exceptions reaching as far as contemporary history and even going into the realm of sci-fi).
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  05:01:04  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I run with smoke-powder guns, though they have been in the Realms Canon for a few decades now. In my Realms, Lantan didn't "vanish" but went underwater. Basically Realms-Bioshock hybrid. So when things sort of cleared after the initial disaster of the Spellplague, it resurfaced with odd tech via the priests of Gond and artificers.

Still, firearms are largely outlawed in most major cities and if found carrying one is a significant charge. Still, it's possible to obtain them and even get people to enchant them further.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  06:26:30  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

My Realms are closer to canon, save for Laerakond, that I don't know why I believed it had an Eberronian level of technology. So, in Laerakond you have wide-magic stuff. At least in my version of Laerakond.

As an aside, I have a friend who has a half-sincere conspiracy theory that Eberron (with its lack of traditional gods) is the distant future of Abeir, which she calls Abeirron with no small degree of joking smugness.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  08:18:14  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are no firearms or the like, except in Lantan. Yes, I know Lantan officially disappeared in 4e. That said, gunpowder was already well known in Faerun as an alchemical reagent. My Take Only: Gunpowder was imported from Shou Lung, where it was used for fireworks celebrations and augmented with wu jen magic for extra special visual effects.
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  18:21:29  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

quote:
Originally posted by Renin

No guns.

No steampunk.

What you describe is basically how Eberron treats things, though with a few larger-scale conveniences as well.

Hunh. Never knew to be honest. All I know of Eberron is 'war-forged' golem things or something. I actually didn't think magic was the prevalent.

The more you know...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000