Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 I Seek Full Comprehension of All. Help?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  21:57:01  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Didn’t want to say “Help?” but ran out of room.

I know quite a bit about the Realms and beyond them. However, “quite a bit” does not full comprehension make. For example, Mr. Rhexx, a YouTuber, recently made a video on Couatls and entities I had not even heard of involved with the formation of the gods-forsaken Planes. You would think I’d have run into that at some point.

I wish to know and understand all.
What’s the beat place to start reading here in Candlekeep? Is all information canon? Or is debatable as with most things, where the beginning of the multiverse and origins of certain deities and beings are disputed?
Where do I start?

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  22:40:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is hard to say where to start and reading all would take much time.
Not everything found among the scrolls are canon. As dome scribes offer ideas to extend unanswered or sometimes offer ideas of how it could be changed.
In some scrolls home rules are discussed. There are scrolls to ask questions and sometimes Ed or other very knowledgeable scribe provides an answer.

Explore a little bit the shelves to see where answers might be or best place to ask for more information.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  23:18:51  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

It is hard to say where to start and reading all would take much time.
Not everything found among the scrolls are canon. As dome scribes offer ideas to extend unanswered or sometimes offer ideas of how it could be changed.
In some scrolls home rules are discussed. There are scrolls to ask questions and sometimes Ed or other very knowledgeable scribe provides an answer.

Explore a little bit the shelves to see where answers might be or best place to ask for more information.

Hmmm... so wisdom is caring for what happens after you do the thing? Being aware of the consequences of what you do?

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  00:42:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The other scroll involving Ao/overgods/Spelljammer/Planescape/etc has already demonstrated that "canon" lore only goes to a certain point, beyond which "fanon" interpretations continue.

When in comes to the Realms, specifically, there is Ed's (largely unpublished and disjointed) canon, there is TSR's "old grey box" canon, there are WotC canons for every minor reprint and major edition and game sourcebook and Realms novel they've ever published. They are not all mutually intercompatible, contradictions and conflicts and "new trumps old" retcons are everywhere.

And then there's OGL stuff, d20 stuff, Dungeon/Dragon articles and WotC web content, fan wikis and fanbooks galore. Not too mention numerous FR CRPGs. And FR novels. Some stuff written by current or previous Realms/D&D/TSR/WotC game designers/authors without "official" recognition from WotC, or written by games designers/authors from other companies, or written by "amateurs". Stuff ranging from excellent to okay to awful.

And all the defunct Living Realms stuff (now distributed across internet wayback archives). And "lost" content from WotC's oen sites. And Alaundo's Library here at Candlekeep! Mountains of Realmslore. Impossible to fully know everything, there's too much and it's too scattered, it's realistically only possible to achieve mastery of niches.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  01:05:47  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

The other scroll involving Ao/overgods/Spelljammer/Planescape/etc has already demonstrated that "canon" lore only goes to a certain point, beyond which "fanon" interpretations continue.

When in comes to the Realms, specifically, there is Ed's (largely unpublished and disjointed) canon, there is TSR's "old grey box" canon, there are WotC canons for every minor reprint and major edition and game sourcebook and Realms novel they've ever published. They are not all mutually intercompatible, contradictions and conflicts and "new trumps old" retcons are everywhere.

And then there's OGL stuff, d20 stuff, Dungeon/Dragon articles and WotC web content, fan wikis and fanbooks galore. Not too mention numerous FR CRPGs. And FR novels. Some stuff written by current or previous Realms/D&D/TSR/WotC game designers/authors without "official" recognition from WotC, or written by games designers/authors from other companies, or written by "amateurs". Stuff ranging from excellent to okay to awful.

And all the defunct Living Realms stuff (now distributed across internet wayback archives). And "lost" content from WotC's oen sites. And Alaundo's Library here at Candlekeep! Mountains of Realmslore. Impossible to fully know everything, there's too much and it's too scattered, it's realistically only possible to achieve mastery of niches.

Well I’m not here for realism, AM I.
You’ll see. You’ll ALL see. I’ll know everything there is to know about the Realms! I’ll defeat you ALL! BUAHAHAHA

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  04:46:41  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Planes are independent of the Realms, to the extent that On Hallowed Ground pretty much pointed out that the Faerunian pantheon were the new kids on the block. Up till 3.5e, planar lore was pretty much consistent, if a bit wonky (3e's MotP refrains from mentioning Loki, Sung Chiang and Mellifleur despite describing their realms and aliases) at times, then 4e took a torch to it, then 5e reset it.

For example, the elemental gods up till 3.5e were distant deities and technically the most powerful denizens of their respective planes; in 4e they're analogous to the Greek titans. Io up till 3.5e was a god (and still alive), in 4e he's suddenly dead and a primordial. Asmodeus up till 3.5e had a multiple choice past, in 4e he's basically Satan and killed God. Nerull is dead in 4e despite being alive and well up in 3.5 (and 5e). The 'loths are turned into demons despite being one of the original fiendish races alongside the obyriths and ancient baatorians (and they still got a kick to the arse in 5e, because the devs hate NE or something).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  05:25:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Daniels

I can help you with the information you seek. The answer is 42.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  05:28:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm... so wisdom is caring for what happens after you do the thing? Being aware of the consequences of what you do?

Basically what it means to me is consider what the results of a choice will cause. Selecting a choice that does less harm tends to be wiser. Not always of course one can know the results of a choice, caring about what result will likely be before acting is better than just doing something.

Maybe another way to say think before you do.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  08:08:17  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Wooly did not mention you would have to subsequently build a computer that discovers to the question to the answer "42". You also have to keep that computer from getting demolished seconds before it comes up with the question. Such a computer would be known to all posterity as "Mostly Harmless."

All that said, be prepared to face all sorts of inter-version inconsistencies and lacunae across various sources. Ed Greenwood had a credo along the lines of when you answer one question, create three more questions. My paraphrase.

The short version: The Realms should be regarded as an open, evolving system. There is never a point where you truly know and understand all. This is the safeguard that keeps all us scribes here at Candlekeep from getting complacent and stagnant.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  16:42:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Didn’t want to say “Help?” but ran out of room.

I know quite a bit about the Realms and beyond them. However, “quite a bit” does not full comprehension make. For example, Mr. Rhexx, a YouTuber, recently made a video on Couatls and entities I had not even heard of involved with the formation of the gods-forsaken Planes. You would think I’d have run into that at some point.

What’s the beat place to start reading here in Candlekeep? Is all information canon? Or is debatable as with most things, where the beginning of the multiverse and origins of certain deities and beings are disputed?
Where do I start?

If you want to understand all, start from the beginning. Get every 1E product. Read them. Do the same for all the editions. And all the game worlds. Don't forget the novels. All of them. Then you will "known and understand all". See you in a couple of years. Enjoy.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  17:07:42  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Lol, I understood that reference!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000