Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Additional Backgrounds for NCS
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  02:39:08  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The Neverwinter Campaign Setting is one of my favorite supplements ever published, and a major part of my love for it comes from its evocative, focused Themes, that act as prepackaged backstories for player characters. While I don't have the energy (or admittedly, interest) in writing up a full Theme's worth of powers for each, I though I'd try my hand at tossing together a few additional ones for the city, especially hanging on some obscure bits of supporting material* from 4e.

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12qbIyiJjQoxSSYFmInMNoZ1P1nID1HEmWMRGWH3oqh0/edit?usp=sharing

*How weird is it that the first two Lair Assault releases were Neverwinter stuff? The first is a strike against one of the two feuding Asmodean cultists in the city, who is trying to use the Primordial beneath Mount Hotenow to forge a powerful unholy scepter; the latter is a very cool two-stage encounter about regional pirates (who hang out in a base made of lashed-together shipwrecks) and sahuagin with a kraken as backup, and it implicates Lord Neverember in the black market purchase of a sacred object of Umberlee's faith. Very neat stuff!

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  02:53:32  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stolen. Thanks a lot for this.

Do you have any suggestions for associated powers? (From other themes, or something).

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 06 Apr 2020 02:57:21
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  02:57:30  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Stolen. Thanks a lot for this.

Of course! You're sort of the entire audience for this

I do think that maybe "touched by an aboleth" and "somehow related to the Cult of the Dragon" additions might be necessary to completely round out the possible antagonist spread, and I'm fighting the urge to detail options for Selune and Kelemvor's clergy, both of whom are prominent in the city.

EDIT: For the powers, I'm not sure; I haven't run 4e in close to 8 years, so my knowledge of those specifics is a little rusty.

Edited by - keftiu on 06 Apr 2020 02:59:55
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  03:21:56  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kelemvor, specially, plays a huge role in the MMO, but it's not mentioned in the book or Dragon mag articles.

I'm going to check other themes to search for fitting powers for the backgrounds.

I'm specially glad you've included the Laerakond theme :)

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  03:46:25  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Kelemvor, specially, plays a huge role in the MMO, but it's not mentioned in the book or Dragon mag articles.

I'm going to check other themes to search for fitting powers for the backgrounds.

I'm specially glad you've included the Laerakond theme :)

Wow, I double-checked and you're right, it's wild that Kelemvor isn't in the text at all! Still, I'm always glad to have them; their church is one of my favorites, and doomguides make a fun heroic option for beating the snot out of those terrible necromantic Thayans.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  18:14:03  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are really awesome, great job! If you want, I can probably cook up some Theme powers or repurpose ones that currently exist for your use?
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  20:00:18  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

These are really awesome, great job! If you want, I can probably cook up some Theme powers or repurpose ones that currently exist for your use?

Shoot!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000