Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ao, Realmspace, Interplanar Travel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  00:14:50  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Good day.

I was unsure of exactly what forum to post this in. Forgive me. Please direct me to a more advanced area of the forum as a whole if I am lacking in my placement.
A few questions I have, as yet, not had answered in my studies of the cosmology of the Realms:

Ao’s power is contained by the crystal sphere separating the phlogiston from the Realms. He is able to create gods and goddesses at will. I don’t know if Ao himself resides within the outer planes, but the gods and goddesses under his control certainly do. If Ao’s power is limited to the crystal sphere but he is not IN the crystal sphere, and neither are his gods and goddesses, and his gods and goddesses interact with other gods and goddesses in the outer planes from different crystal spheres that reside under other “overlord Gods”, so to speak, and the crystal spheres(Realmspace, Krynnspace, etc...) reside solely within the Prime Material Plane(although interfaced with the interior and outer planes via the Etherial and Astral planes) how is his power limited so concretely? More over, if the outer planes and inner planes touch every point in the crystal spheres simultaneously, why must the gods and goddesses of realms communicate via subjects spell jamming to different crystal spheres, why is it so hard for even extremely powerful gods and goddesses that enjoy worship on several different planets to provide power to their subjects when the subjects are in different crystal spheres? Why can not these beings simply communicate and transfer power from the outer planes and to A POINT WITHIN THE CRYSTAL SPHERE the subject is in? Is it because it interferes with the gods and goddesses and “Ao” of that crystal sphere and that kind of interference is naturally prohibited by “the system”? Because they have the same portfolio? I understand the phlogiston is completely disconnected from all planes and no communication can be done WITHIN it to other planes or crystal spheres, but why should that matter when inside of a crystal sphere and all important planes connect to points within EVERY CRYSTAL SPHERE?

Tl;dr- if Ao and his subservient created gods and goddesses of each different portfolio are within the outer planes and not just within the crystal sphere that contains Realmspace within the Prime Material Plane, why is his power limited so concretely, and why can they not communicate to gods and goddesses and their subjects of different crystal spheres through the planes instead of “vibing” through the phlogiston?

Next question:
Dragon lance, Forgotten Realms, Krynn, and others are all canonically located within THE Prime Material Plane. Should I read books of these fictional universes in order to have a full experience of the Prime Material Plane? I originally fell in love with Forgotten Realms but am in love with the entire cosmology.
Are there any examples of pantheons from one crystal sphere interacting with those of another? Are we given a glimpse of any “Ao”s from other crystal spheres?
(By the way, I am aware of the passage where Ao is seen with a being of a higher order than he is)
Are any characters from the Forgotten Realms seen ever interacting with characters from other crystal spheres whether it be in the Prime Material or another plane? Do the souls under one god or goddess ever interact with the souls of another with the same portfolio and alignment?
What books are there from ANY CRYSTAL SPHERE dealing heavily with the other planes, especially the Far Realm(s?)?

Can I read the spelljammer books? They are connected to the same Prime Material, right?

Are there any resources for information besides Candlekeep and the Forgotten Realms Fandom wikia? I haven’t even thought about exploring the lore of the other crystal spheres- I’m going to have to do that immediately if not sooner.

Are there any other cosmology freaks out there like me exploring the multiverse and obsessed with knowing everything?

Also, DIMENSIONS=DEMIPLANES if you didn’t know: found that out recently. Just a little tidbit for you there.

Edited by - Shawn Daniels on 05 Apr 2020 01:32:10

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  02:15:52  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lathander and the Vedic deity Ushas share the same realm of Morning Glory. Auril and Loki share Winter's Hall. Velsharoon and Mellifkeur share Death's Embrace. Tyche is the Greek deity of the same name. Tyr is an interloper deity; he hails from the Norse pantheon. Waukeen shares the Marketplace Eternal with the Krynnish Shinare, the Oeridian Zilchus and the Cerilian Sera. Wee Jas and Mystra 1 were BFFs.

Novelwise, Iyachtu Xvim impersonated Shinare and Paladine and Finder put a stop to it.

Edited by - LordofBones on 05 Apr 2020 02:17:03
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  02:22:28  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Lathander and the Vedic deity Ushas share the same realm of Morning Glory. Auril and Loki share Winter's Hall. Velsharoon and Mellifkeur share Death's Embrace. Tyche is the Greek deity of the same name. Tyr is an interloper deity; he hails from the Norse pantheon. Waukeen shares the Marketplace Eternal with the Krynnish Shinare, the Oeridian Zilchus and the Cerilian Sera. Wee Jas and Mystra 1 were BFFs.

Novelwise, Iyachtu Xvim impersonated Shinare and Paladine and Finder put a stop to it.

Invaluable information. Thank you for sharing, and thank you for your time.

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  03:05:56  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Helm bears a striking resemblance to Heimdahl the guardian of the Bifrost bridge. Mielikki and Loviatar come from the Finnish pantheon. Oghma is from Celtic mythology.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  03:14:17  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How silly of me to forget. The Mulhorandi and Untheric pantheons explicitly came from another crystal sphere. The ancient Imaskari wizards blocked the deities from coming to Realmspace. Ao contacted their spokesgod Ptah, who in trun relayed Ao's message to both pantheons. Although the gods could not go in their true form, they could build avatars called manifestations that could breach the Imaskari barrier.

In 2nd edition, Waukeen cut a deal with Celestian of the Greyhawk pantheon to discreetly get her out of Realmsspace. She took a detour through the Abyss, where Graz'zt double-crossed her.

Talona had a run-in with Kipputytto, also from the Finnish pantheon, as to who could spread disease the fastest. Talona outcompeted her rival and drove her off.
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  03:57:10  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ao does have power across the multiverse. During the Time of Troubles Ao grabbed every deity with a presence in the Realms and tossed them down into Realmspace. It would seem part of the agreement for a deity to enter Realmspace is that they give Ao power over them.

The inner and outer planes don't touch every place in any Crystal Sphere. Not even close.

A deity can only have power in a crystal sphere that they have worshipers...generally a LOT of them.

Interference in the system is prohibited...lightly. The much bigger risk/control/stop measure is the fact that if a God extends themselves into a new Crystal Sphere they are vulnerable. Other gods, even more so the powerful gods in that sphere, can over power them, hurt them, hummulate them and such.

You can read all the books, sure. Most are self contained to each setting. There are the Spelljammer Cloakmaster books that go to the Big Three Spheres. The Lost God books also crossover the Big Three Spheres (AND has gods of different spheres meeting and working for/against each other.

The only other known Ao like being is the High God from Dragonlance.

Lots of Realms characters interact across the crystal spheres and planes. It's a huge list.

For the most part souls..aka Petitioners..stay in the Realm of their deity. That being said, lots of deities do share spots and locations...so mixing does happen.
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  03:59:00  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

How silly of me to forget. The Mulhorandi and Untheric pantheons explicitly came from another crystal sphere. The ancient Imaskari wizards blocked the deities from coming to Realmspace. Ao contacted their spokesgod Ptah, who in trun relayed Ao's message to both pantheons. Although the gods could not go in their true form, they could build avatars called manifestations that could breach the Imaskari barrier.

In 2nd edition, Waukeen cut a deal with Celestian of the Greyhawk pantheon to discreetly get her out of Realmsspace. She took a detour through the Abyss, where Graz'zt double-crossed her.

Talona had a run-in with Kipputytto, also from the Finnish pantheon, as to who could spread disease the fastest. Talona outcompeted her rival and drove her off.

While I appreciate the other information I’ve been provided so far, this is the juiciest and most helpful and exquisite by a landslide.

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  04:02:26  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_red

Ao does have power across the multiverse. During the Time of Troubles Ao grabbed every deity with a presence in the Realms and tossed them down into Realmspace. It would seem part of the agreement for a deity to enter Realmspace is that they give Ao power over them.

The inner and outer planes don't touch every place in any Crystal Sphere. Not even close.

A deity can only have power in a crystal sphere that they have worshipers...generally a LOT of them.

Interference in the system is prohibited...lightly. The much bigger risk/control/stop measure is the fact that if a God extends themselves into a new Crystal Sphere they are vulnerable. Other gods, even more so the powerful gods in that sphere, can over power them, hurt them, hummulate them and such.

You can read all the books, sure. Most are self contained to each setting. There are the Spelljammer Cloakmaster books that go to the Big Three Spheres. The Lost God books also crossover the Big Three Spheres (AND has gods of different spheres meeting and working for/against each other.

The only other known Ao like being is the High God from Dragonlance.

Lots of Realms characters interact across the crystal spheres and planes. It's a huge list.

For the most part souls..aka Petitioners..stay in the Realm of their deity. That being said, lots of deities do share spots and locations...so mixing does happen.

Sweet mother of Oghma, THANK YOU! Would you be willing to expound upon that list, or provide a link to any relevant resource?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  04:38:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other entities have been suggested as "overgods", at least within their domains. In addition to Ao (of the Realms) and the High God (of Krynn), I might include the Lady of Pain (in Sigil), Anubis (across the Astral), the Ouroboros World Serpent (Jazirian and Asmodeus), Primus (the First Modron), Ptah (because he can functionally exist "everywhere" simultaneously), and perhaps the "racial" archetype gods (like Corellon, Moradin, Gruumsh, Bahamut, Tiamat, maybe Lloth/Lolth). And 4E's Spellplague also implies Mystra has (or had) cosmos-spanning overgod stature.

But Candlekeep's scribes have presented compelling arguments which sometimes exclude these entities or sometimes include others.

Deities have no power where there is no mortal belief to sustain them. Spelljammer offered rules about priests travelling the Phlogiston and the Flow and Wildspace and the Spheres, what "foreign" power they might or might not have away from their gods, what they might need to do to establish or expand a divine influence.

I think the short explanation is the simplest:
Crystal spheres are barriers which mortals find difficult to traverse. But no mortal believers to carry the gods to new spheres means no gods can manifest in those spheres.
Crystal spheres do little to impede the movements of gods. But without their mortals they cannot observe or influence or manifest (much), at least not without attracting the cooperation (or ire) of "local" counterpart gods on whom their powers trespass.
Crystal spheres do nothing to impede an overgod. They're basically just property markers. Your neighbour's little white picket fence can't seriously stop you from trespassing on his land, but you still wouldn't cross it uninvited for many other reasons.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  04:44:00  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Other entities have been suggested as "overgods", at least within their domains. In addition to Ao (of the Realms) and the High God (of Krynn), I might include the Lady of Pain (in Sigil), Anubis (across the Astral), the Ouroboros World Serpent (Jazirian and Asmodeus), Primus (the First Modron), Ptah (because he can functionally exist "everywhere" simultaneously), and perhaps the "racial" archetype gods (like Corellon, Moradin, Gruumsh, Bahamut, Tiamat, maybe Lloth/Lolth). And 4E's Spellplague also implies Mystra has (or had) cosmos-spanning overgod stature.

But Candlekeep's scribes have presented compelling arguments which sometimes exclude these entities or sometimes include others.

Deities have no power where there is no mortal belief to sustain them. Spelljammer offered rules about priests travelling the Phlogiston and the Flow and Wildspace and the Spheres, what "foreign" power they might or might not have away from their gods, what they might need to do to establish or expand a divine influence.

I think the short explanation is the simplest:
Crystal spheres are barriers which mortals find difficult to traverse. But no mortal believers to carry the gods to new spheres means no gods can manifest in those spheres.
Crystal spheres do little to impede the movements of gods. But without their mortals they cannot observe or influence or manifest (much), at least not without attracting the cooperation (or ire) of "local" counterpart gods on whom their powers trespass.
Crystal spheres do nothing to impede an overgod. They're basically just property markers. Your neighbour's little white picket fence can't seriously stop you from trespassing on his land, but you still wouldn't cross it uninvited for many other reasons.

On that last point, are you certain? Ao is unable to affect the sphere, and is powerless while within the phlogiston just as everyone else. What would allow him to hop the fence?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  05:08:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We don't know much about Ao.

In 2E we only saw Ao act in the Avatar trilogy. Everything else was speculation (conjecture by mortals in the Realms, vague and generic suggestions for DMs in the game) based on those actions, Ao never bothered to communicate or demonstrate anything to confirm/deny these speculations.

The gods of the Realms could not contact or summon (or univite) Ao. Ao simply appeared before them when Ao desired, Ao simply vanished from their presence when Ao desired, Ao already knew about all their activities (and hidden-activities) during his absence. So evidently wherever Ao came and went was a place beyond the reach or knowledge of gods/goddesses in his Realms.

Some passages in the novels described Ao's communications with his "peer" or "peers" or "boss". The context seemed to imply a group (perhaps even a very large group), and the terse "reports" given by Ao (along with the "instructions" or "orders" given to him) seemed to imply that Ao was subordinate to some higher entity/entities.
The text was deliberately nondescriptive, but it seems like these meetings occurred somewhere "beyond" the established worlds and planes of D&D. (Spelljammer products and crystal spheres weren't around yet.)

If overgods can come and go as they please, can interact in some "common" place (here, there, wherever, all beyond the scope of mere gods and goddesses), they surely aren't impeded by a little phlog on their boots.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 05 Apr 2020 05:13:55
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  05:26:04  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We don't know much about Ao.

In 2E we only saw Ao act in the Avatar trilogy. Everything else was speculation (conjecture by mortals in the Realms, vague and generic suggestions for DMs in the game) based on those actions, Ao never bothered to communicate or demonstrate anything to confirm/deny these speculations.

The gods of the Realms could not contact or summon (or univite) Ao. Ao simply appeared before them when Ao desired, Ao simply vanished from their presence when Ao desired, Ao already knew about all their activities (and hidden-activities) during his absence. So evidently wherever Ao came and went was a place beyond the reach or knowledge of gods/goddesses in his Realms.

Some passages in the novels described Ao's communications with his "peer" or "peers" or "boss". The context seemed to imply a group (perhaps even a very large group), and the terse "reports" given by Ao (along with the "instructions" or "orders" given to him) seemed to imply that Ao was subordinate to some higher entity/entities.
The text was deliberately nondescriptive, but it seems like these meetings occurred somewhere "beyond" the established worlds and planes of D&D. (Spelljammer products and crystal spheres weren't around yet.)

If overgods can come and go as they please, can interact in some "common" place (here, there, wherever, all beyond the scope of mere gods and goddesses), they surely aren't impeded by a little phlog on their boots.

Well shiet. You’ve single-handedly dismantled my logic about that. Have I mentioned I love Candlekeep? Because I LOVE Candlekeep.
Thank you for your help. The more my understanding of the cosmology is furthered, the more I delight in the details.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  07:52:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly is sure to ramble on over here eventually. He just can't resist the scent of Spelljammer-flavoured inks in these scrolls. And he can explain Spelljammer in great detail.

I'm actually a Planescape fellow, I don't really belong in the Realms, I was on my way to Acheron one day when I decided to just stop in the keep to peruse some scrolls.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  16:49:21  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn DanielsSweet mother of Oghma, THANK YOU! Would you be willing to expound upon that list, or provide a link to any relevant resource?

For sources most of this is covered in the 2E Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer and Planescape materials. You'd want the boxed set for each.

After that the FR god books: Faiths and Avatars, Powers and Pantheons and Demihuman Deities; plus the 2E FR Dramicionian and Old Empires books have the bulk of the information.

Planescape: Each of the Plane books: The Inner Planes, The Guide Ethereal Plane, The Guide Astral Plane, Planes of Law, Planes of Conflict, Planes of Chaos and the Planewalker handbook.

The two Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk and Dragonlance cross over lines of novles: The Cloakmaster Cycle(Spelljammer) and the Lost Gods(Planescape).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  18:15:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_red

The two Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk and Dragonlance cross over lines of novles: The Cloakmaster Cycle(Spelljammer) and the Lost Gods(Planescape).

I don't recall anything Greyhawk-related in the Lost Gods books (which were branded as FR and DL). I could be mistaken, though; I'm re-reading them now for the first time in years.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  18:29:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... As I see it, the Prime Material Plane, like many other planes, has multiple layers. Each layer is its own crystal sphere.

This, to me, is the easiest way to explain how things can function differently from one campaign world to another, even though they're both on the Prime.

All the other planes don't just touch one layer of this multi-layer Prime, they touch all of them. Thus, each Prime has the same planar structure.

Ao rules the layer of the Prime that is Realmspace. He has total control over it. Any deity wants access to Realmspace, they have to go through him. And part of that access is what allows him to have some control over them in their planar realms.

Nothing limits Ao to being able to reach out further... But as an overdeity, he's something beyond regular deities. He doesn't see a need to be active beyond Realmspace, because he's omnipotent, there. It may even be a required aspect of overgodhood: supreme influence over their section of the Prime and none elsewhere.

In fact, I think that overdeities are former regular deities that got promoted. Maybe each overdeity was once limited to just being part of a pantheon, one among many, and over time, became much more powerful than their peers. At that point, they're tapped by whoever is over the overdeities (omnideities? uberdeities?) and given a new, proto-layer of the Prime as their own. They then shape it as they will, and either create their own powers, or allow some outside powers in, or both.

As for the phlogiston, it's like hyperspace: it's that null area that exists between layers of the Prime. It may even be between all layers of all planes, but it's only the Primes that can be perceived from there -- or the magic to reach the other layers is unknown.

Keep in mind that none of this is canon. It's just the best way I see to explain everything. The fact that different settings have different rules is really problematic, unless you go with the different layers, thinks I. Otherwise, you've got to explain how smoke powder (for example) follows one set of rules on one section of the Prime but a different set of rules on another...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Apr 2020 18:32:34
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  19:10:55  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So... As I see it, the Prime Material Plane, like many other planes, has multiple layers. Each layer is its own crystal sphere.

This, to me, is the easiest way to explain how things can function differently from one campaign world to another, even though they're both on the Prime.

All the other planes don't just touch one layer of this multi-layer Prime, they touch all of them. Thus, each Prime has the same planar structure.

Ao rules the layer of the Prime that is Realmspace. He has total control over it. Any deity wants access to Realmspace, they have to go through him. And part of that access is what allows him to have some control over them in their planar realms.

Nothing limits Ao to being able to reach out further... But as an overdeity, he's something beyond regular deities. He doesn't see a need to be active beyond Realmspace, because he's omnipotent, there. It may even be a required aspect of overgodhood: supreme influence over their section of the Prime and none elsewhere.

In fact, I think that overdeities are former regular deities that got promoted. Maybe each overdeity was once limited to just being part of a pantheon, one among many, and over time, became much more powerful than their peers. At that point, they're tapped by whoever is over the overdeities (omnideities? uberdeities?) and given a new, proto-layer of the Prime as their own. They then shape it as they will, and either create their own powers, or allow some outside powers in, or both.

As for the phlogiston, it's like hyperspace: it's that null area that exists between layers of the Prime. It may even be between all layers of all planes, but it's only the Primes that can be perceived from there -- or the magic to reach the other layers is unknown.

Keep in mind that none of this is canon. It's just the best way I see to explain everything. The fact that different settings have different rules is really problematic, unless you go with the different layers, thinks I. Otherwise, you've got to explain how smoke powder (for example) follows one set of rules on one section of the Prime but a different set of rules on another...

You GOT-DANG, MOTHERFRACKING GENIUS! Why didn’t I think of that?! Of COURSE it makes sense the Prime would have layers! I could KISS YOU right now. It’s so simple, why was I so blind?!
Be thou not Ulraunt, mighty Keeper of the Tomes?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  20:21:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Phlogiston shares some properties with the Astral. Spelljammer's Gith Pirates are able to "planeshift" their entite vessels into and through the Astral. So I think they're linked, or maybe Phlog "surrounds" the interface between Prime and Astral much like Ethereal surrounds each Prime.

Spelljammer put much effort into distinguishing itself as something separate from planar travels, while Planescape (and all subsequent D&D) basically pretended Spelljammer didn't exist. So precise canon about the finer mechanisms was never given (and likely never will be), all we have is fanon (many fanons) with varying balances of consistency vs creativity.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 05 Apr 2020 20:23:19
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  21:07:38  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Phlogiston shares some properties with the Astral. Spelljammer's Gith Pirates are able to "planeshift" their entite vessels into and through the Astral. So I think they're linked, or maybe Phlog "surrounds" the interface between Prime and Astral much like Ethereal surrounds each Prime.

Spelljammer put much effort into distinguishing itself as something separate from planar travels, while Planescape (and all subsequent D&D) basically pretended Spelljammer didn't exist. So precise canon about the finer mechanisms was never given (and likely never will be), all we have is fanon (many fanons) with varying balances of consistency vs creativity.

Yes. This honestly makes me a bit disappointed. I was sincerely hoping we had a very concrete cosmology that canonically glued all the campaign settings together.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  21:10:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They can only do that with elven vessels, though, and even then, they still have to be in a sphere to do it.

quote:

Yeah, the most grievous offender was the 3E book that included neogi. They basically said "Neogi are usually on flying ships, but we're just going to focus on the seafaring ones." When I saw that I utterly incredulous -- nothing in Spelljammer implied neogi were anything but spaceborne, and mentioning but then brushing aside flying ships is just bad writing. Flying ships are always going to be more interesting than some sort of pirate, so why even mention them if you're ignoring them?

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2020 :  22:49:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Giths can only planeshift in Wildspace, not Phlog? That suggests Phlog roughly resembles Asttal but is otherwise unrelated.
(Yes, elven-organic ships and other conditions. But if it's possible then it's not impossible.)

The Astral is described as a plane which shouldn't really exist. Something like a "backstage" or "backdoor" or "under the hood" place which was needed to support the rest of the great planar construct but was never itself meant to be seen. Essentially the substrate of the D&D cosmos, an ad hoc scaffolding which was embedded in (under, above, around) reality, never removed, improperly sealed and improperly hidden.

Various planar conduits and shortcuts - like the Infinite Staircase, branches of the Ygdrasil Tree, parts of Mount Olympus - seemingly pass through or overlap with parts of the Astral.

If the Astral is an "unfinished" part of the cosmos then perhaps the Phlogiston is something similar. Raw, stark, naked, needed to join things together but never meant to actually be visited.

The Phlogiston has heen compared a great river in which crystal spheres float and drift. Spelljammers usually navigate "The Flow" which connects the Triad (Realmspace, Greyspace, Krynnspace) but countless "currents" and "eddies" can sometimes lead to other spheres. Spelljammer lore actually asserts (in a circumlocutive way) that the sphere which contains Athas (the world of Darksun and the apparent origin of all kreen species in Spelljammer and elsewhere) was accessible in past ages but has drifted away into lost isolation.

Maybe worth noting that Darksun seems to lack any deities or overdeities. It has some powerful entities but they are a lesser order than the proper deities of other D&D settings. It has only the most tenuous connections with the rest of the planes. Giths arrived on Athas long ago, but have been stranded so long that they've devolved into a degenerate race. A few individuals from Athas were captured by the malign drifting demiplane(s) of Ravenloft. There is an artifact on Athas which can access the planes, but it is unknown to most and strictly controlled by an epic adversary. I can't recall any references to Athas in planeslore, no Darksun natives who've somehow found their way to Sigil or beyond.

All the creation myths of D&D have a few things in common:
- There's the world (or worlds) populated by mortals and there's all the higher/lower "worlds"/planes/places meant to be inhabited by the higher/lower beings (deities and powers) these mortals worship.
- Mortals were invariably ignorant and unable to use magic until somebody they worshipped (illegally) taught them the first secrets of how it works.
So perhaps mortals were never meant to have enough access to the cosmos to learn about things like Astral and Phlogiston? The whole thing could have been "designed" in such a way that mortals would only see the "finished" areas, but instead the mortals were given hacks and cheat codes which they exploited to break the normal sequence of things in the game universe.

Kinda worrisome when all of creation admits to being a sloppy or unfinished thing full of unintended holes. No wonder overgods hardly bother to interact with it.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 06 Apr 2020 04:48:02
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  05:49:56  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, even easier is that each Crystal Sphere is a Realm/Site/Location. After all the Planes are full of them.

Or even each Crystal Sphere is a Prime Plane, an ''Alternative Prime Plane''. And you get the nice "all the Prime Spheres are separate and they are All One" type idea.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  06:44:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Layers" on other planes are defined by boundaries which separate shifts in philosophy, natural (or supernatural) laws, physical properties, and metaphorical terrain.

Sometimes the transition between layers is blurred and subtle, a traveller is unaware (and unable) of making the crossing without a successful Wisdom check or somesuch, one part of the forest looks much like any other part of the forest. Other times the transition is obvious and symbolic, walking through a wall of flames, crossing a river, climbing a cliff, etc.

Each plane, each layer, and each domain has unique boundaries.

Crystal spheres seem too uniform to represent unique layers in the Planescape sense.

Moreover, spells like Teleport, Gate, Worldwalk - along with all sorts of portals - can instantly move a traveller from any world to any world on the Prime(s). The Ethereal and Astral and Inner Planes can be directly accessed from any world on any Prime. These properties contradict with how layers work on all other planes.

I think it's safe to say that spheres and layers are fundamentally different things. And they each involve modes of travel which sidestep the other. The Prime has (or the Primes have) only one interconnected "layer". Shared with only one "layer" of the Ethereal and Astral.

Transitive planes - Shadowfell, Feywild, Temporal Prime, etc - might be "layers" of the Prime(s). But the different worlds/spheres of the Prime(s) are more akin (and parallel) to the different "Realms" and "Domains" of deities/powers in the outer planes.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  07:18:27  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Giths can only planeshift in Wildspace, not Phlog? That suggests Phlog roughly resembles Asttal but is otherwise unrelated.
(Yes, elven-organic ships and other conditions. But if it's possible then it's not impossible.)

The Astral is described as a plane which shouldn't really exist. Something like a "backstage" or "backdoor" or "under the hood" place which was needed to support the rest of the great planar construct but was never itself meant to be seen. Essentially the substrate of the D&D cosmos, an ad hoc scaffolding which was embedded in (under, above, around) reality, never removed, improperly sealed and improperly hidden.

Various planar conduits and shortcuts - like the Infinite Staircase, branches of the Ygdrasil Tree, parts of Mount Olympus - seemingly pass through or overlap with parts of the Astral.

If the Astral is an "unfinished" part of the cosmos then perhaps the Phlogiston is something similar. Raw, stark, naked, needed to join things together but never meant to actually be visited.

The Phlogiston has heen compared a great river in which crystal spheres float and drift. Spelljammers usually navigate "The Flow" which connects the Triad (Realmspace, Greyspace, Krynnspace) but countless "currents" and "eddies" can sometimes lead to other spheres. Spelljammer lore actually asserts (in a circumlocutive way) that the sphere which contains Athas (the world of Darksun and the apparent origin of all kreen species in Spelljammer and elsewhere) was accessible in past ages but has drifted away into lost isolation.

Maybe worth noting that Darksun seems to lack any deities or overdeities. It has some powerful entities but they are a lesser order than the proper deities of other D&D settings. It has only the most tenuous connections with the rest of the planes. Giths arrived on Athas long ago, but have been stranded so long that they've devolved into a degenerate race. A few individuals from Athas were captured by the malign drifting demiplane(s) of Ravenloft. There is an artifact on Athas which can access the planes, but it is unknown to most and strictly controlled by an epic adversary. I can't recall any references to Athas in planeslore, no Darksun natives who've somehow found their way to Sigil or beyond.

All the creation myths of D&D have a few things in common:
- There's the world (or worlds) populated by mortals and there's all the higher/lower "worlds"/planes/places meant to be inhabited by the higher/lower beings (deities and powers) these mortals worship.
- Mortals were invariably ignorant and unable to use magic until somebody they worshipped (illegally) taught them the first secrets of how it works.
So perhaps mortals were never meant to have enough access to the cosmos to learn about things like Astral and Phlogiston? The whole thing could have been "designed" in such a way that mortals would only see the "finished" areas, but instead the mortals were given hacks and cheat codes which they exploited to break the normal sequence of things in the game universe.

Kinda worrisome when all of creation admits to being a sloppy or unfinished thing full of unintended holes. No wonder overgods hardly bother to interact with it.

Lol, so the Overgods are all just lazy programmers on who’s list efficient and clean backend programming is a low priority.

Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  16:31:42  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Layers" on other planes are defined by boundaries which separate shifts in philosophy, natural (or supernatural) laws, physical properties, and metaphorical terrain.

In Planescape, much like the Forgotten Realms large areas can have magical reality changing effects. Some are natural, and some are created by powerful beings. It does not need to be the whole layer, just a city or a forest.

But even if you want to say Realmsspace ''must'' be a layer: it would still be Ao's layer. So it would have whatever he wanted: and his view point is beyond mere mortal ideas like philosophy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  19:34:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Layers within other planes don't necessarily have different philosophies -- sometimes, just different expressions of the same philosophy.

I would say the overall philosophy of the Prime is a neutral plane where all the other planes mix.

The sections of the Prime do have boundaries -- the spheres.

Different spheres do have different physical properties and natural and supernatural laws. High-tech stuff works on Greyhawk but not in the Realms, for example, and smoke powder doesn't always function the same from sphere to sphere.

And Spelljammer canon is very explicit: you cannot teleport between spheres. You can teleport within a sphere, but not between them.

So: boundaries; different properties/laws; and some form of planar transit, either spelljamming or moving through other planes required to move between them.

Layers.

Go to Top of Page

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  20:44:50  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Immortals Handbook-Ascension- Not canon, Not even FR.. Still has excellent info on this topic.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  21:16:28  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Layers within other planes don't necessarily have different philosophies -- sometimes, just different expressions of the same philosophy.

I would say the overall philosophy of the Prime is a neutral plane where all the other planes mix.

The sections of the Prime do have boundaries -- the spheres.

Different spheres do have different physical properties and natural and supernatural laws. High-tech stuff works on Greyhawk but not in the Realms, for example, and smoke powder doesn't always function the same from sphere to sphere.

And Spelljammer canon is very explicit: you cannot teleport between spheres. You can teleport within a sphere, but not between them.

So: boundaries; different properties/laws; and some form of planar transit, either spelljamming or moving through other planes required to move between them.

Layers.

*obligatory shrek.gif, because onions*

So, this would mean someone like Acererak and also the Mercane/Arcane would incapable of directly teleporting to another sphere. That being said, are they allowed to teleport to another plane and then reroute through to another sphere that way?

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  21:22:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is starting to sound an awful lot like how i organised the D&D cosmos.

I got the idea from the Immortals Handbook and a smattering of other sourcebooks that basically hinted that there was an older material plane before ours that was destroyed by the raging vortex of chaos which you spend the Immortal handbook campaigns trying to fight against. Aboleth origins hint that they came from this other prime material plane.

Then we have the Multiverse which is a mess of different spheres with different rules that are connected by a seeming nothingness, and i thought "which idiot would design something like that".

So what if the Multiverse was an accident. What if the Universe is what Chaos destroyed, and in the aftermath two smaller versions arose in it place. What if one or more was destroyed or almost destroyed (see the Tearfall for what happens if its almost destroyed) and two more arise, and two more, and two more. Lets face it there are no shortages of world ending catastrophes in D&D.

Thus we have the multiverse, a series of disconnected "spheres" of varying size, with different laws of reality.

The bit between them, the phlogiston sounded an awful lot like the Ethereal Plane to me, which has been described as the gap between the planes in at least one sourcebook, so why not have the ethereal plane and the phlogiston as the same thing, but the phlogiston is the very edge of the ethereal where some matter bleeds through and the rest of the ethereal is where it connects to the outer planes and where belief can manifest anything.

In theory you could travel from the material to the outer planes through the phlogiston but it would be a bloody long way (the universe is massive in reality so why can't the phlogiston be equally massive).

Thats how i dealt with it anyway, the layers thing works equally well but i went with a continually rebooting universe where each time it evolves along slightly different lines and so has the potential for different laws of reality.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  21:27:33  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

This is starting to sound an awful lot like how i organised the D&D cosmos.

I got the idea from the Immortals Handbook and a smattering of other sourcebooks that basically hinted that there was an older material plane before ours that was destroyed by the raging vortex of chaos which you spend the Immortal handbook campaigns trying to fight against. Aboleth origins hint that they came from this other prime material plane.

Then we have the Multiverse which is a mess of different spheres with different rules that are connected by a seeming nothingness, and i thought "which idiot would design something like that".

So what if the Multiverse was an accident. What if the Universe is what Chaos destroyed, and in the aftermath two smaller versions arose in it place. What if one or more was destroyed or almost destroyed (see the Tearfall for what happens if its almost destroyed) and two more arise, and two more, and two more. Lets face it there are no shortages of world ending catastrophes in D&D.

Thus we have the multiverse, a series of disconnected "spheres" of varying size, with different laws of reality.

The bit between them, the phlogiston sounded an awful lot like the Ethereal Plane to me, which has been described as the gap between the planes in at least one sourcebook, so why not have the ethereal plane and the phlogiston as the same thing, but the phlogiston is the very edge of the ethereal where some matter bleeds through and the rest of the ethereal is where it connects to the outer planes and where belief can manifest anything.

In theory you could travel from the material to the outer planes through the phlogiston but it would be a bloody long way (the universe is massive in reality so why can't the phlogiston be equally massive).

Thats how i dealt with it anyway, the layers thing works equally well but i went with a continually rebooting universe where each time it evolves along slightly different lines and so has the potential for different laws of reality.

I do like that. Putting it on the list.
But it wouldn’t take quite so long to travel through other planes and get to another sphere that way because the reason you can even do that is because of wormholes/portals, right?

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  21:55:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To another sphere i imagined the time varying depending upon how different the worlds are.

Well the distances for the known worlds in spelljammer i would of course keep. I imagine the distance being dependant upon the similarity of the world in question. Toril, Dragonlance, and Greyhawk are all fairly similar in rules of reality so probably form a core group of planets near the centre (never read spelljammer so i've no idea how far apart they actually are). While Darksun is very different and so is on the outskirts.

The further out you travel the smaller the spheres get and the further apart they get until you travel on and on into nothingness until you actually reach the outer planes.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page