Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bronze Age?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2020 :  23:19:25  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Did Faerun have any less developed age for any of the races? So often history in fantasy (and the Realms especially) is about great heights they’ve fallen from, but I’d be very keen to hear about the early days of the various peoples of Faerun.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2020 :  00:52:51  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe keftiu,

As in, when all races were on par with one another at that commensurate level of technology?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Did Faerun have any less developed age for any of the races? So often history in fantasy (and the Realms especially) is about great heights they’ve fallen from, but I’d be very keen to hear about the early days of the various peoples of Faerun.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2020 :  01:06:07  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sarrukh started as tribal lizardfolk in what is now Durpar. They learned ironwork and domesticated livestock during their first few centuries before settling into Okoth, which became their first empire. Okoth can be found in Azulduth the Lake of Salt which is in Mulhorand, or High Imaskar as of 4e.
I have no idea about sapient lifeforms during the Blue Age except they lived underwater. Probably extremely hard to forge metal.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2020 :  17:46:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Yeah, Old Empires notes that the Mulan people that came from Imaskar were using bronze age metals. They weren't using iron. I want to say that SOMEWHERE it also notes that the Narfell/Raumathar folk that learn to use iron got the info from the dwarves of the great rift (so while the humans were in a bronze age, the dwarves/elves were not). It also makes me wonder if the Orcgate Wars didn't spill south into the Shaar and possibly the Untheric "gods" and possibly even other "gods" of the Mulan folk may have died out. The idea that Ramman and Ishtar are relatively "new gods" in Unther makes me wonder if the sheer number of gods that "died" in that conflict (and the actual power level of those beings) hasn't been lost to history. After all, the gods themselves might try to cover up just how vulnerable they are/were.

From Old Empires

The lands lost by the southern empires were quickly retaken, but not by them. Instead, two new powers rose to prominence after the Orcgate Wars, the powers of Narfell and Raumathar. These were warlike nations that coalesced out of the migrating northern tribes that were paid to fight as mercenaries in the Orcgate Wars. They had weapons of iron (as opposed to the bronze weapons that Mulhorand and Unther used at the time) and soon developed powerful magic of their own. They quickly subdued large tracts of land, replacing Mulhorandi culture with their own.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2020 :  18:55:07  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe keftiu,

I am guessing there were as mentioned above, but with how the continents were jammed together in the beginning, it makes you wonder why there would not have been a more concomitant increase in technology across the board through those periods.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000