Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Governmental Communication and Int'l Diplomacy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2020 :  20:03:04  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Good afternoon everyone,

Reading all of the many scrolls going on in this tome and others, had me taking stock of the significant reference to 'x' group doing 'y' things in 'z' nation/city-state/region. The amount of seemingly cross border actions taken is truly astounding. Whether it be done by official government agents, adventuring groups, etc., there is a lot of activity always going on across national boundaries. That got me thinking about how governments control such movement. The consequences of beings moving from one locale to another, where there are different laws, customs, religions, etc. is significant. It seems unbelievably silly to have people moving about on horse, etc., when powerful government officials would be utilizing wizards to have teleconferences with divination pools, gating from one secure compound to a neutral site to have negotiations in a neutral space, etc. It never really seems like that kind of stuff goes on. With the science/technology of magic, one would think that communication, almost like the internet, would be much more robust, i.e. instant, efficacious.

What do you all think keeps governmental communication and international diplomacy seemingly stifled, as I see no evidence that it is handled in a way that makes sense for the level of magic available in the Realms?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2020 :  22:11:18  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magic is not cheap. It "appears" that these things are done by a snap-of-the-finger, but in D&D 'reality' these realllllly convenient communication spells cost a lot in terms of spell components.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2020 :  22:15:13  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe ElfBane,

Sure, but we'd be looking at sovereign nations and their Treasury costing out these expenses and coming to international trade agreements with other nations to make these costs affordable. Analogy would be putting satellites into orbit, or the bridge that is currently under review to be built between Scotland and Ireland. The GDP/GNP (depending on nations manner of calculating economic output) 100% can easily afford such expenses as if they were pennies. We're talking about towns budgeting for such expenses. That's why the wealthiest nations such as Durpar, Halruaa, Corymyr, and Calimport would likely start this out as such expenses to them are a pittance. Probably not even a pittance.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

Magic is not cheap. It "appears" that these things are done by a snap-of-the-finger, but in D&D 'reality' these realllllly convenient communication spells cost a lot in terms of spell components.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2020 :  22:26:18  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CN indeed. In a lawful community, you need a CN influencer to keep the community from the salem witch trials, lol. In a Lawful evil society you need the CN to ensure you that pure evil is not the only way to get what you want. lol.

(Imagine a Tom Bombadil laugh there)
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2020 :  00:49:04  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Copper Elven Vampire,

The Tom Bombadil laugh sealed the deal for me there. hahaha

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

CN indeed. In a lawful community, you need a CN influencer to keep the community from the salem witch trials, lol. In a Lawful evil society you need the CN to ensure you that pure evil is not the only way to get what you want. lol.

(Imagine a Tom Bombadil laugh there)

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2020 :  21:59:19  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How strongly would a transcontinental communication and transportation system tac the Weave? The Netherese mythallara of old evidently drained magical sustenance from the phaerimm. Look how the phaerimm drained Netheril's land. I suspect the same desertification would happen to all Faerun. That, and Mystra may resent sentients treating the Weave as a commercial tool, not as a wonder for its own sake. The other factor is spellcasters do not play nice with each other in general.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2020 :  00:00:12  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Delnyn,

Wow, great question! I hadn't thought of it like that, but I love the thought!

Perhaps it would be something along the lines of subspace communications in Star Trek, or perhaps, powerful compression of audio files?

How do you feel that the communications relates to your example of the Netherese and the Phaerimm? It sounds like a conflation of two disparate topics. No offense intended mind you.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2020 :  00:35:22  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Learned Scribe Delnyn,

Wow, great question! I hadn't thought of it like that, but I love the thought!

Perhaps it would be something along the lines of subspace communications in Star Trek, or perhaps, powerful compression of audio files?

How do you feel that the communications relates to your example of the Netherese and the Phaerimm? It sounds like a conflation of two disparate topics. No offense intended mind you.

Best regards,

Master cpthero2,
No offense taken at all. The relation has to do with transcontinental communications (and transportation for that matter) "hogging" the Weave, much like the Netherese mythallars. By straining the Weave and pulling it toward certain zones and away from other zones, certain life forms that depend upon magic suffer in their daily life. As far as the phaerimms are concerned, they were defending themselves against what they considered Netherese starving them. Transcontinental magical systems - be they communication, transportation - sound much like a similar invitation for a hostile reprisal.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2020 :  03:07:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Weave unravels and frays where magic draws heavily enough to strain it. Although it is also like a living thing which (eventually) heals itself. Or maybe like a forest or ocean in which life (eventually) grows or flows to fill empty spaces. Holes in the Weave are dead-magic zones. Tangles in the Weave are wild-magic zones.

But I liken Netheril's damage to the Weave being more like pollution. Their mythallars generated quasi-magic but also disrupted real magic - demihumans (especially elves) would feel unease and lose access to their intrisic magical abilities while near or under an active mythallar. Maybe mythallars (themselves real magic items more powerful than wishes) are analogous to boat propellers chopping and churning water with enough percussive force to drive whales mad from many miles away. Phaerimm are even more sensitive to magical perturbations than elves, and their species survival threatened by it, no wonder they responded with a weapon like Life Drain.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2020 :  16:18:52  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Delnyn,

I love that. That is so cool. That seriously puts mega thoughts into my head for a campaign. Even one that could be cool for time travel. What if a time mythal were created that could connect a less Weave used time to a more Weave used time, in an effort to get more magic? That just popped in my head. Maybe a bad idea. haha

See, I could see that transcontinental system definitely leading to many epic adventures. I literally mean epic too! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2020 :  00:08:46  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magic isn't a lazy answer to everything, it's an arms race. Especially in the Realms.
Teleportations can be blocked and redirected(!).
Scrying devices can be made to explode, and who knows, maybe intercepted.

quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Transcontinental magical systems - be they communication, transportation - sound much like a similar invitation for a hostile reprisal.

There doesn't seem to be any difference, intercontinental or next town.
As to raw power, a hundred of scrying mirrors, or even teleport circles (Aurora again), used intermittently, are gnat's sneeze, compared to even a single magical power source slurping up enough of magic to power the spell holding half a mountain in air plus unspecified number of quasimagical devices (probably including the same hundred of scrying devices and a handful of cargo portals just in a single enclave, plus fire and water micro-gates in every well-off kitchen, security measures, decorative permanent illusions, and so on).
And they'd be distributed over half a continent to begin with.

Gates/Portals are used and "hoarded", but while they ostensibly function at-will they got a few "little" problems.
And IIRC there was something about Mystra's servants not allowing any group to control too many portals at the same time (not for long, that is)?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2020 :  00:50:22  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Magic isn't a lazy answer to everything, it's an arms race. Especially in the Realms.
Teleportations can be blocked and redirected(!).
Scrying devices can be made to explode, and who knows, maybe intercepted.

quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Transcontinental magical systems - be they communication, transportation - sound much like a similar invitation for a hostile reprisal.

There doesn't seem to be any difference, intercontinental or next town.
As to raw power, a hundred of scrying mirrors, or even teleport circles (Aurora again), used intermittently, are gnat's sneeze, compared to even a single magical power source slurping up enough of magic to power the spell holding half a mountain in air plus unspecified number of quasimagical devices (probably including the same hundred of scrying devices and a handful of cargo portals just in a single enclave, plus fire and water micro-gates in every well-off kitchen, security measures, decorative permanent illusions, and so on).
And they'd be distributed over half a continent to begin with.

Gates/Portals are used and "hoarded", but while they ostensibly function at-will they got a few "little" problems.
And IIRC there was something about Mystra's servants not allowing any group to control too many portals at the same time (not for long, that is)?

No problem agreeing with your points. And yes, you remembered correctly about Mystra's servants not being too fond of any one group controlling too many portals. I would add that any power group would presumably prevent any other power group from controlling too many portals.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11693 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2020 :  00:55:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

The Weave unravels and frays where magic draws heavily enough to strain it. Although it is also like a living thing which (eventually) heals itself. Or maybe like a forest or ocean in which life (eventually) grows or flows to fill empty spaces. Holes in the Weave are dead-magic zones. Tangles in the Weave are wild-magic zones.

But I liken Netheril's damage to the Weave being more like pollution. Their mythallars generated quasi-magic but also disrupted real magic - demihumans (especially elves) would feel unease and lose access to their intrisic magical abilities while near or under an active mythallar. Maybe mythallars (themselves real magic items more powerful than wishes) are analogous to boat propellers chopping and churning water with enough percussive force to drive whales mad from many miles away. Phaerimm are even more sensitive to magical perturbations than elves, and their species survival threatened by it, no wonder they responded with a weapon like Life Drain.

That is sweet, sweet topic there.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2020 :  21:52:49  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader TBeholder,

Great point on the arm's race. I was just thinking about that. You would think Thay would be all over trying to find a way to make that work already. Who know's though: perhaps all of that work that Szass Tam was doing within the lower layers of Thaymount at the Citadel is on that very thing?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2020 :  21:54:52  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Delnyn,

This really brings up a great point about spy-rings and international diplomacy (since that is part of the topic!): I wonder how extensive the spy rings are and if nations really try to hold other nations or powers that be to account for their actions? You'd think such a thing would be a huge issue and one that nations would want to disincentivize.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000