Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Monetary Policy in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SaMoCon
Learned Scribe

USA
291 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2020 :  23:29:54  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I wouldn't go as far as having non-Waterdhavian money-changers giving full Waterdeep value for the Waterdeep-specific coins, but I can see them giving something more than the default spending value for them. Maybe 1.5 ep, instead of the Waterdhavian value or the local value. Even if the money-changer in question does a lot of business with Waterdhavians, he's going to still be looking to make a profit...

That was what I was getting at - again, that was me being inarticulate with the point I was making. My apologies.

The fiat coins would be treated the same as full specie coins for exchanging everywhere that Waterdeep's economic influence is felt. If the moneychangers would knock off 25% of the value of the generic Waterdhavian gold coin then they would do the same for the Harbor Moon and the Taol. Only in regions that have little or no connection to Waterdeep would the specie of those coins be the sole reason for devaluing the currency.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  07:36:53  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

quote:
"Value" fluctuates uncontrollably when affluent adventurers start throwing coin around, a dragon's hoard is captured, a rival nation's treasury has been taken.

That is so true; however, I think the source of some great adventure is how other sovereign entities end up reacting to that. That market destabilization for a while could be the reason why a landed noble hires the adventurers to go and sell anything and everything he can sell in that marketplace in the hopes of getting marked up specie for its weightier differential for fungibility, or perhaps, mercenaries are hired to attack the town to just straight up take all of that money that was just flooded into the town. After those adventurers leave, what would stop it?

My only point here in my reply is that it could facilitate some seriously great gaming sessions! :)

quote:
But these disruptions usually don't last for long. The adventurers run out of money, wander somewhere else, or get robbed, maybe get killed. The dragon's hoard gets spent. The rival nation's treasury gets melted down and re-minted.

I feel these issues as well raise a great many adventuring opportunities. The 'wolve's' as it were would come knocking to get a piece of that tasty pie, for sure!

quote:
Those Harbour Moon coins (worth 2ep each within Waterdeep, 1ep each outside Waterdeep)

Just a quick aside to correct the value of a Waterdeep Harbor Moon. They are worth 50gp in and 30gp out (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Harbor_moon).

quote:
...they're worth more in Waterdeep because it allows Waterdeep's mint to double the value of its money and to keep almost all of that money circulating under its control.

I really feel this is worth a deeper dig here. When it is written that, "...because it allows...", what I feel is being referred to here (correct me if I am wrong please) is the government controlling monetary policy to influence market prices in the market service area. Though this may seem like niggling, I think it is important to the idea of monetary policy to begin with. It isn't the mint setting the price, it is the market's reaction to its value based on a variety of variable inputs. For example, Sierra Leone's 'Leone' is 1/10000th of a U.S. Dollar. They print '1' on that 'Leone' and we print '1' on our U.S. Dollar. That differential of the currency is purchase price parity (PPP), and that is not predicated on the mint facilitating that, but rather the market strength of the nation pushing that specie to market. The U.S. market has the viability, consistency, strength, security, and backing of a military to cause individuals to value the specie here more than let's say Sierra Leone. The same thing would happen in Waterdeep.

Also, in canon places where any assertion that "outside" of Waterdeep the value reduces, depends on the trade circumstances. My dollar reduces in value upon taking my lovely English wife to England for a vacation due to the pound being more valuable than my dollar. That isn't the mint, but rather the strength of what the U.K. brings to its currency via its intrinsic market value overall.

The final point in that statement made that, "...and to keep almost all of that money circulating under its control." is the big deal. That is what directly relates to the points made about about the U.S. and of course the UK market being viable, consistent, strong, etc. The Waterdeep Harbor Moon is maintained under the control of Waterdeep because they have price setting mechanisms (fiscal policy) in place that ensures its specie maintains its value further abroad. That isn't to say that Calimport for example would perhaps value that as they may have more foreign trade influence in PPP than let's say Longsaddle, which means it is more valuable to utilize that specie from Waterdeep to not lose out in exchanges.

quote:
Foreign merchants would prefer other electrum coinages (which retains full value everywhere) but are probably forced to pay taxes and conversion rates which discourage using those coins (makes trading them around more costly, less profitable) within Waterdeep.

That assumes that trade distributions are even. Waterdeep is a premium trading partner that has every incentive to want to lock people into using its specie, so that it has more power in purchasing goods and services from Waterdeep as opposed to some other location. This has a downstream effect if others see the value in the products and services offered

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000