Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Backgrounder 004: Dragonkin
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  19:07:02  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
https://pocgamer.com/2020/01/29/backgrounder-004-dragonkin/

I've enjoyed the concept since I read about it back in the transition to 3e, but they got sidelined hard.

Do you agree with the comments or is he horribly wrong?

I generally like his opinion.

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  20:14:51  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did talked to him in Twitter about this, and he has great ideas but he seems strongly biased for its hatred towards 4e. So, I guess I agree with his comments here to a degree.

In my campaign, if I ever use dragonkin, I would re-skin dragonborn, using the draconian subraces for the mechanics stuff.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 02 Mar 2020 20:15:33
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  22:00:09  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

I did talked to him in Twitter about this, and he has great ideas but he seems strongly biased for its hatred towards 4e. So, I guess I agree with his comments here to a degree.

In my campaign, if I ever use dragonkin, I would re-skin dragonborn, using the draconian subraces for the mechanics stuff.

He has a more valid reason to dislike it than most; that all the black cultures of Faerun got hit especially hard by the Spellplague, with Chult becoming an especially racist mess of “savage cannibals.” Unlike most complaints, I can’t defend that one.

He’s a cool guy, and runs a good blog.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  22:56:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked dragonkin, but they've definitely been overshadowed by the 2.0 dragonborn. I've long had an issue with the latter; giving them the same damn name as the transformed disciples of Bahamut was clumsy, and saying "this *second* race named for dragons hates dragons but oddly, likes the Cult of the Dragon" was just a huge collection of fail.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  22:58:03  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

He has a more valid reason to dislike it than most; that all the black cultures of Faerun got hit especially hard by the Spellplague, with Chult becoming an especially racist mess of “savage cannibals.” Unlike most complaints, I can’t defend that one.

He’s a cool guy, and runs a good blog.

And I think he is right with that point. But with the dragonkin, he is not. He blames the dragonborn for getting all the spotlight and sidelining the dragonkin. And the dragonkin became irrelevant even before the 3e dragonborn were a thing.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 02 Mar 2020 22:59:27
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  23:01:48  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I liked dragonkin, but they've definitely been overshadowed by the 2.0 dragonborn. I've long had an issue with the latter; giving them the same damn name as the transformed disciples of Bahamut was clumsy, and saying "this *second* race named for dragons hates dragons but oddly, likes the Cult of the Dragon" was just a huge collection of fail.

I agree with you in the second point. I guess they wanted to differentiate them from the 4e core dragonborn (that have a very polite relationship with dragons), but the idea backfired horribly when the FR became the "main" setting.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000