Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Were-Unicorns
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2020 :  04:09:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there any were-unicorns that exist?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2020 :  04:47:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm personally not aware of any... Nor even werehorses (oh gods, the jokes that present themselves here...)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2020 :  05:20:38  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Darden,

I've never heard of anything like that, then again: it makes me wonder if Selune and Mielikki would work something out to make that a thing.

Sounds like a template being needed... ;)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Are there any were-unicorns that exist?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2020 :  05:22:52  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

That is actually awesome: werehorses. lol

If one of the players in my current campaign saw that, he'd be punning it up for years off of that alone! haha

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm personally not aware of any... Nor even werehorses (oh gods, the jokes that present themselves here...)

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

lookatroopa
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2020 :  08:30:55  Show Profile Send lookatroopa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Closest I can find are the druid unicorn members of the Fangshields, an organization primarily based in the Silver Marches, the Shining Plains, and Aglarond, detailed in Champions of Valor. They're not really lycanthropes, but as they advance up the ranks they gain the ability to turn their hooves into human hands, and later they can even attain a hybrid unicorn/human or unicorn/demihuman form.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2020 :  12:52:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, not werehorses, but there are werepegasi. Its a creation of Ed's. I wouldn't be surprised to find were-unicorns OR even were-Pegacorns. That being said, I don't see it as being lycanthropy (i.e. its not passed on via bite, but rather they are a kind of shapechanger similar to Lythari who were also referred to as lyncanthropes).

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Werepegasus

AJA actually created a few werepegasi amongst his Five NPC's in Waterdeep thread, and we had a little fun creating a tie in to the Skypony tribe and having them generationally bound. We were also talking about them having ties to the starmounts. If I were to have were-unicorns anywhere, it would probably be from the same place. Perhaps a tribe of humans, elves, or half-elves was blessed by Lurue or somesuch.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2020 :  15:38:41  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

What if perhaps they were lycanthropes, that passed along the infection by way of a prick/slash of their horn? That could be cool!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Actually, not werehorses, but there are werepegasi. Its a creation of Ed's. I wouldn't be surprised to find were-unicorns OR even were-Pegacorns. That being said, I don't see it as being lycanthropy (i.e. its not passed on via bite, but rather they are a kind of shapechanger similar to Lythari who were also referred to as lyncanthropes).

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Werepegasus

AJA actually created a few werepegasi amongst his Five NPC's in Waterdeep thread, and we had a little fun creating a tie in to the Skypony tribe and having them generationally bound. We were also talking about them having ties to the starmounts. If I were to have were-unicorns anywhere, it would probably be from the same place. Perhaps a tribe of humans, elves, or half-elves was blessed by Lurue or somesuch.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2020 :  16:56:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great Reader sleyvas,

What if perhaps they were lycanthropes, that passed along the infection by way of a prick/slash of their horn? That could be cool!

Considering that unicorns are usually paragons of good, I can't see them inflicting involuntary shapechanging on others, nor having any attack that could accidentally create evil unicorns. There's also the fact that horns are not the best method for passing on something like that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2020 :  19:43:03  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

quote:
Considering that unicorns are usually paragons of good

I was thinking the same thing until I remembered that the Realms have Black Unicorns! :)

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Black_unicorn

I completely get that canon-wise, adding the lycanthropic infliction wouldn't be, well...canon, but the inflict wounds function of the black unicorn sort of opens the door to it. That's where I go back to the idea of Selune and Mielikki having worked something out. I mean, if you look at the FR Wiki, you even get to see an image of a black unicorn in there [which is pretty dang cool! :)]

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Mielikki

Again, I totally admit there would have to be some cool fudge stuff a bit there, but I think it's kind of a cool idea. :)

Best regards,

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great Reader sleyvas,

Considering that unicorns are usually paragons of good, I can't see them inflicting involuntary shapechanging on others, nor having any attack that could accidentally create evil unicorns. There's also the fact that horns are not the best method for passing on something like that.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000