Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Monks of Candlekeep - Revisit
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  17:30:08  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Good morning,

I am revisiting the topic from August of 2004 that was locked, and I didn't see a continuation of the scroll on this matter I am to bring up.

I am curious to see if people feel that any relevancy exists anymore regarding the notion of monks having any sort of celibacy requirements or note? There were three instances in "So Sayeth Ed" where he addressed issues surrounding celibacy in the Realms. In those, Ed states that they are for purposes of reflection, to avoid distraction, or in the case of Loviatar for example, to further pain for religious reasons.

The trope of monks being celibate really does seem to continue on in a less pronounced way as societies appear to become more secular in the 'real' world.

Does anyone know of any other sources that really dig into the notion of celibacy for religious reasons, beyond what was discussed in "So Sayeth Ed."

Do people feel any relevancy exists anymore regarding the notion that monks (or other religious members) must abide by some sort of rule of celibacy in order to be of good faith?

Do any of you utilize it in your active campaigns? If so, why? If not, why?

Thanks in advance!

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

Edited by - cpthero2 on 21 Feb 2020 18:54:08

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  20:38:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a third-party 3E book that likely addresses celibacy, The Book of Erotic Fantasy.

I can't confirm that at the moment, however... I'm at work, without my printed sourcebooks, and I make a point of not having that file on the external hard drive full of pdfs that's attached to my work computer.

Aside from the reasons Ed gives, I see no point to celibacy -- in the real world or in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  00:06:42  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

That is very cool. Do you know if that book would effectively allow for the possibility of really playing a priest of Sharress for example in a way that you would expect with PrC's, etc. that develop the character along the ethos of that deity? That would be exceptionally cool!

haha...probably a good idea not to have that file accessible to the network. :)

I will have to agree with you 100% on there being no point in celibacy in the real or Realms worlds, apart from what Ed said, of course.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There was a third-party 3E book that likely addresses celibacy, The Book of Erotic Fantasy.

I can't confirm that at the moment, however... I'm at work, without my printed sourcebooks, and I make a point of not having that file on the external hard drive full of pdfs that's attached to my work computer.

Aside from the reasons Ed gives, I see no point to celibacy -- in the real world or in the Realms.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  00:14:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

That is very cool. Do you know if that book would effectively allow for the possibility of really playing a priest of Sharress for example in a way that you would expect with PrC's, etc. that develop the character along the ethos of that deity? That would be exceptionally cool!

I will have to agree with you 100% on there being no point in celibacy in the real or Realms worlds, apart from what Ed said, of course.

Most likely. I've only flipped through the book a couple of times. I've got way, way more gaming material than I have time to read!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2020 :  01:20:26  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Ehhh...I hear that. You just want to plow through it all and you realize: that is a lost cause. haha

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

Most likely. I've only flipped through the book a couple of times. I've got way, way more gaming material than I have time to read!

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000