Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Rain deity?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  11:02:16  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there one? Looking for something less harsh than full-blown Storm, more positive.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  11:23:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think weather is covered, in general... Storms are, obviously, but not weather in general.

For rain, I'm leaning towards either Chauntea or Eldath. Eldath covers waters, such as streams and such, so there's a bit of a connection there... Chauntea is the better fit, though; people concerned about rain are most often those who have to grow things, and that's firmly in Chauntea's sphere of influence.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  13:59:06  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aside from Eldath and Chauntea, one example, is from the Seldarine - it's stated Aerdie Fenya is specifically the goddess of rain among things, and is benevolent, and visible more positive (she is also a storm goddess though.)

Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  14:08:55  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isis of the Mulhorandi pantheon - Weather, rivers, agriculture, love, marriage, good magic

Chauntea of the Faerūnian pantheon - Agriculture, plants cultivated by humans, farmers, gardeners, Summer

Eldath of the Faerūnian pantheon - Quiet places, springs, pools, peace, waterfalls

Istishia of the Faerūnian pantheon and Zakharan pantheon - Elemental water, purification through water

Lathander of the Faerūnian pantheon - Athletics, birth, creativity, dawn, renewal, self-perfection, Spring, vitality, youth

Silvanus of the Faerūnian pantheon - Wild nature, druids

Pag of the Zakharan pantheon - Nature, trees, flowers

Ao Ch’in, Ao Jun, Ao Kuang, and Ao Shun of the Celestial Bureaucracy - seasons, weather

Lao Tzu of the Celestial Bureaucracy - Mystic insight, enlightenment, philosophy, nature

Nung Chiang of the Celestial Bureaucracy - Agriculture, fertility

Inari of the Eight Million Gods pantheon - Harvest, rice agriculture, water flows, plants, insects

Azul of the Maztican pantheon - Rain, water, bodies of water

Maztica of the Maztican pantheon - Life, fertility, nature

Watil of the Maztican pantheon - Plants, nature, agriculture

Indra of the Vedic pantheon - Weather, battle, storms, atmosphere

Aerdrie Fenya of the Seldarine pantheon - Air, weather, avians, rain, fertility, avariels

Angharradh of the Seldarine pantheon - Spring, fertility, planting, birth, defense, wisdom

Elebrin Liothiel of the Seldarine pantheon - Nature, gardens, orchards, harvest

Rillifane Rallathil of the Seldarine pantheon - Woodlands, nature, wild elves, druids

Sarula Ilien of the Seldarine pantheon - Lakes, streams, nixies, water magic

Lliendil of the Raptoran pantheon - Weather, rain, storms, the Sun, wind, change, trickery

Ventila of the Raptoran pantheon - Spring, fertility, growth, love

Hiatea of the Giant pantheon - Nature, agriculture, hunting, childbirth

Stronmaus of the Giant pantheon - The Sun, the Sky, weather, joy, cloud giants

Sheela Peryroyl of the Halfling pantheon - Nature, agriculture, weather, song, dance, beauty, romantic love

Oberon of the Seelie Court pantheon - Nature, wild places, animals

Poseidon (scattered cults on Toril) - Water, earthquakes, creation

Water Lion (possibly unknown on Toril but planar presence known) - a water-based primordial with a divine spark, allowing them to produce avatars

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Edited by - Storyteller Hero on 12 Feb 2020 02:59:16
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  14:28:35  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Set from the egyptian pantheon were an raingod in his original rl Egypt's pantheon. An hint on his function is looking at how often it do rain there, and rain's function in Egypt.
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  01:30:45  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khass, a little-known Shaaran god of clouds and rain.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Khass

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  16:46:07  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Azul has yet to be mentioned who is literally a rain god, with servitors charged with bringing the rains known as tlalocoatl (rain dragons) and chac (Fey jaguar spirits of rain)

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  19:32:03  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought about mentioning Azul, but in canon, the detail of him getting sacrifice of children and Lawful Evil alignment, I thought didn't fir exactly keftiu's request about a "less harsh and more positive" god.

Still, despite the above, he does seems less harsh and distant than some other rain and storm gods, like the above mentioned Khass for example. (Who I'm not sure, if at least by current times, isn't an aspect of Talos).

Edited by - Baltas on 11 Feb 2020 19:37:03
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  20:00:18  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

I thought about mentioning Azul, but in canon, the detail of him getting sacrifice of children and Lawful Evil alignment, I thought didn't fir exactly keftiu's request about a "less harsh and more positive" god.

Still, despite the above, he does seems less harsh and distant than some other rain and storm gods, like the above mentioned Khass for example. (Who I'm not sure, if at least by current times, isn't an aspect of Talos).

Yeah he’s done some dark stuff. I’ve got to be honest though, in my home game, each of the Maztican gods are far more “unaligned” than good or evil or even neutral - very much like the actual Aztec deities were (Azul being Tlaloc of course). Sure they were given clear cut behaviors and alignments in the boxed set, but I feel like with the exception of Zaltec, they were depicted as far more “necessary” in the actual novels than evil.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2020 :  00:01:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Granted Isis supposedly subsumed Ishtar, but Ishtar was also a weather goddess. Ramman was also a rain god, though he was supposedly killed by Assuran of the Three Thunders and his portfolios given to Anhur. With the return of Enlil, he might also be considered somewhat of a storm deity concerned with rain, but it would be more of a storm deity and less of a rain one.

From Old Empires
The worship of Ramman complements that of Ishtar; Ishtar is the deity of fertile soils, while Ramman is the deity of the skies whose rains help crops flourish.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
952 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2020 :  01:39:58  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's simply a more benign aspect of the Gods of Fury. Not everything the evil gods do is unnecessary and "evil," even if it is what they are most feared for.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000