Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Why no more Spelljammer for Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1968 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2020 :  04:33:43  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I'd have to check, but spelljammers may be able to outrun a dragon. I know outside of atmosphere they go amazingly fast.

Usually yes. Assuming they see it coming and won't run straight into the next dragon.
Outside atmosphere only few dragons are a problem.
In the air, it's not clear how it's different from extreme wind. The ship carries the bubble with it, but this doesn't prevent mixing air, invading spores, etc. It's one of ill-defined things in Spelljammer.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2020 :  04:46:59  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I'd have to check, but spelljammers may be able to outrun a dragon. I know outside of atmosphere they go amazingly fast.

Usually yes. Assuming they see it coming and won't run straight into the next dragon.
Outside atmosphere only few dragons are a problem.
In the air, it's not clear how it's different from extreme wind. The ship carries the bubble with it, but this doesn't prevent mixing air, invading spores, etc. It's one of ill-defined things in Spelljammer.

Things like wind should definitely be an issue; nothing except other spells would protect a ship from weather and air flow. Note also that almost every dragon is more maneuverable than almost any Spelljamming vessel (Maneuverability classes for creatures and ships are different scales). Dragons would definitely be dangerous from that point of view, even if a Spelljamming ship can outrun them.

That also doesn't take into account merchants (especially less ethical ones like the Zhents) who would want to get their hands on a helm, and would definitely track and ambush a vessel known to have a helm (and quickly showing up in port a port with gods known to take longer would be very suspicious). There are also lots of wizards around who might want to get their hands on such magic, and many of them have teleport spells, which could easily get them on board ship.

Since none of the FR material indicates that spelljammers disrupt commerce, I think it is more important to identify how that is the case, than think up reasons why SJ traffic would disrupt commerce.

As to the period of the Spellplague, it is definitely possible the natural portals were disabled for the duration, as they were during the Avatar Crisis. The Netherese had a spell that could completely seal a sphere, although there is no evidence it was used (and those powerful spells are no longer available), but it is possible that some element of them were rediscovered and used, if you want a reason to seal or partially seal Realmspace.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000