Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Netheril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WaveyDL
Acolyte

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2020 :  17:16:19  Show Profile Send WaveyDL a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
First off I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong area.

I'm a 2nd edition GM returning to learn 5e and the changes wrought on the lands. Yes that's one hell of a gap and somehow most of my old players are with me again.

After discovering that Anauroch has up and gone I'm now looking to run a game in area of Netheril. Now I've caught up on most of what's happened but after the fall of Shade Enclave onto Myth Drannor I can't find much information on who rules these lands now.

Are there cities/governments and Netheril (regular humans) who still govern here or has it fallen into chaos and barbarism?

I'd love a blank slate but would also like to try and stay cannon as I have done in the past. I'm having a blast running The Lost Mines of Phandelver ATM but wanted to move them to this area at some point. I'm planning to read "The Sundering" books ASAP but any more information would be great.

Any links or lore that you kind folks know of would be greatly appreciated. That or news that I have a blank slate to make a mess with. I'm slowly catching up....

TIA
WaveyDL

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2020 :  03:19:01  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most Netheril lore was published in 2E (with pseudo-1E rules).

Shade arrived in 3E. Shade was destroyed in 3.5E.

Some of the Shades and Larloch have received a little attention since then. But Netheril remnants were basically ignored throughout 4E and have (thus far) been ignored in 5E. You really haven't missed much. I don't know WotC's official position on Netheril but it seems tovbe a legacy thing (like Al-Qadim, Spelljammer, Planescape, etc) which has basically been abandoned aside from some tacitly handwaved brief background fluff.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  05:47:26  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte WaveDL,

First off: I congratulate you sir! You are a FR warlord for coming back after that long, let alone all the madness that has ensued!

Great Reader Ayrik has set you straight in his perfectly accurate lay way of speaking. I truly mean that as a compliment by the way! :)

There is a lot to catch up on. I'll give you my best summary:

3.0/3.5 moderate change, but good stuff overall.

4e = trainwreck.

5e = mea culpa, we'll try to fix it.

My recommendation is just start with bibliographies back in 3.0/3.5, go from there, and just....try to take anti-rage pills when you hit 4e.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by WaveyDL

First off I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong area.

I'm a 2nd edition GM returning to learn 5e and the changes wrought on the lands. Yes that's one hell of a gap and somehow most of my old players are with me again.

After discovering that Anauroch has up and gone I'm now looking to run a game in area of Netheril. Now I've caught up on most of what's happened but after the fall of Shade Enclave onto Myth Drannor I can't find much information on who rules these lands now.

Are there cities/governments and Netheril (regular humans) who still govern here or has it fallen into chaos and barbarism?

I'd love a blank slate but would also like to try and stay cannon as I have done in the past. I'm having a blast running The Lost Mines of Phandelver ATM but wanted to move them to this area at some point. I'm planning to read "The Sundering" books ASAP but any more information would be great.

Any links or lore that you kind folks know of would be greatly appreciated. That or news that I have a blank slate to make a mess with. I'm slowly catching up....

TIA
WaveyDL

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

WaveyDL
Acolyte

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  09:10:23  Show Profile Send WaveyDL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the information and warnings ;)

I think I've got enough for me to get working on. Now to see if this party can stop the return (yet again) of the Shadovar!!!!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2020 :  16:04:21  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte WaveyDL,

Nice. Updates or it didn't happen!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by WaveyDL

Thank you for the information and warnings ;)

I think I've got enough for me to get working on. Now to see if this party can stop the return (yet again) of the Shadovar!!!!

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000