Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Roper Genus
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2020 :  15:49:01  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings,

Has anyone stumbled across a "fancy" word for ropers? (Kind of like "illithid" came along to be to racial name of mind flayers.)

I know of the roper, the storoper, the prismatic roper, and the urophion. (The last one might hint towards what that racial name might be.)

Anyone ever stumble across one in canon D&D products?

Thanks,

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2020 :  17:26:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea (not as helpful as you would like, I'm sure), but I will set my d&d search engine to Roper and try and find something for you

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2020 :  18:48:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ropers are an older creation than I realized -- all the way back to The Strategic Review.

I wasn't able to find any alternate names for them... There was a good write-up of them for Pathfinder, in Dungeon Denizens Revisited, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Jan 2020 19:11:00
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2020 :  20:42:42  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ecology of the Roper in Dragon 232 might have something. I’ll hunt down my copy if you don’t have one available.

Update: Not joking, I reached into my old boxes of dragon mags and this was the first one I grabbed - weird.

Anyway, nothing in there on naming conventions, but if you are looking to do something with ropers it’s a wonderful resource.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 07 Jan 2020 21:10:04
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  04:08:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ropers started off as just another weird dangerous party-killing monster in the Gygaxian freak show, not unlike owlbears and jelly cubes and displacer beasts.

Variants are found in all climates and terrains, underground, underwater, across many worlds, even on the astral and other planes. And they're "compatible" with illithids. To me this suggests ropers are some sort of aberration or native/manifestation of the Far Realms.

"Roper" is a descriptive but very dull name. But no other taxonomy has been published, except to distinguish roper variants from each other.

"insidior vinculum" ("binding ambusher/trapper") and "bestia fenum interfectorem" ("killer rope beast") just don't seem very catchy to me but they might appeal to sagely academic sorts.

I like the term "tangler" even though it's admittedly not better than "roper".

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  05:03:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could always go with Ropey McRopeface.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  05:21:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, found this

quote:
The Illithiad (1998)[7] introduced the illithid-roper crossbreed, the urophion
from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roper_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

The article does add
quote:
The urophion appeared again in the book Lords of Madness (2005)

Maybe something could be derived from urophion to indicate a full blood roper instead of a half blood.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  07:18:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Their gizzard that contains gems is called a "horlobb" in the Realms.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  08:00:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Search engine is starting up.

Given that illithid becomes ulitharid, I would be tempted to turn urophion into Rophion or Rophian. I found an ephemeral strangler which is said to have originated from the shadow self of a proper so perhaps you could call it an Erophion, but that might cause too much confusion with Urophion.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  11:47:41  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of good hints. I think the most promising is to look at illithid -> ulatharid, think about urophion, and point to the horlobb as the key determinant.

How about "rophor" (pronounced ROE-four) which has become "roper" in the common vernacular? It's close enough to explain its lack of use, but you could see how both "urophion" and "horlobb" are related.

That also allows us to use "strophor" for storoper and "prophor" for prismatic roper.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  12:08:54  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i've checked every pdf i own with anything D&D related in. I get nothing other than what you have found.

Rophor works for me, i do like it when you can see the evolution of a name.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  13:16:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So where would this "official" name for the species come from?

Do they name themselves? Because everyone else calls them ropers.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  13:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Lots of good hints. I think the most promising is to look at illithid -> ulatharid, think about urophion, and point to the horlobb as the key determinant.

How about "rophor" (pronounced ROE-four) which has become "roper" in the common vernacular? It's close enough to explain its lack of use, but you could see how both "urophion" and "horlobb" are related.

That also allows us to use "strophor" for storoper and "prophor" for prismatic roper.

--Eric

I think storoper came from “stone roper” so rophor might do better with storophor. This way, you could see how the common man who has heard about the creature bastardized the names of both from the original rophor.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  15:13:18  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds good.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

--Eric

I think storoper came from “stone roper” so rophor might do better with storophor. This way, you could see how the common man who has heard about the creature bastardized the names of both from the original rophor.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  15:44:47  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

So where would this "official" name for the species come from?

Do they name themselves? Because everyone else calls them ropers.

They speak Undercommon and Terran, so presumably they could name themselves.

However, I think in general there's a "real name" instead of the "common name. For example, Ed named displacer beasts "dirlagraun" in "The Sword Never Sleeps."

--
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  22:44:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They do indeed talk. One can utter a command word to activate a wand of wonder in the "Ruins of Undermountain" boxed set.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2020 :  03:11:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do ropers have any deity, religion, or even a patron fiend? A world or place of origin? If so, they might take their name from it.

I'd think that if ropers only speak Common and Undercommon then they'd use the same Common/Undercommon names for their species that everyone else uses. But they'd likely prefer names from their own (or their "deity's") native language, if they have one.

Do words like "orc", "ogre", "goblin", "kobold" have any clear etymology? Are they meaningful words in the old languages spoken by Gruumsh, creator races, dragons, etc? It seems like names are just names, arbitrary designations, and "roper" is as good a name as any other.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  19:11:02  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't it be just an Elven or Dwarven word?
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Hmm, found this
quote:
The Illithiad (1998)[7] introduced the illithid-roper crossbreed, the urophion

Maybe something could be derived from urophion to indicate a full blood roper instead of a half blood.

With illithids, it's not a crossbreed. It's a ceremorph - a creature taken over and converted by an illithid tadpole.
Other than that, even if it's derived (which is not certain, it may be something unrelated, like "mindlinked sentry"... or "terse mind-speaker" ) and can be reverse-derived, this would be... just an Illitid word for ropers.
There's no particular reason to even assume they meet ropers first.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 20 Feb 2020 19:18:23
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  23:37:53  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Do ropers have any deity, religion, or even a patron fiend? A world or place of origin? If so, they might take their name from it.

Given their nature, I would expect Ghaunadar (and Juiblex outside the Realms).

Lolth also has the Yochlol, which are tanar'ri that have an elven and a roper form; could have come from magical experimentation or an old deal between her and Ghaunadar or Juiblex.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

lookatroopa
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  04:32:55  Show Profile Send lookatroopa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Wouldn't it be just an Elven or Dwarven word?

Considering their habitat, I'd lean Dwarvish. Using terms from Dwarves Deep one could go literal and call them "yauthlinnorogh" (literally "rope monster"). The drow probably have a name of their own, considering their "healthy respect" for ropers noted in the Ecology, but I can't find a particularly workable set of Drowic terms.

Edited by - lookatroopa on 21 Feb 2020 04:51:43
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000