Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Laeral Silverhand's Explorer'sKit
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2020 :  11:17:00  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
D&D Forgotten Realms Laeral Silverhand's Explorer's Kit is a book that is coming out in March and a set of accessories as well (dice ect...).

It's clear this will FINALLY be 5e's FRCG, but in the style of Eberron: Rising From the Last War.

I am so excited.discuss.

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2020 :  12:33:55  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Link?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2020 :  15:23:13  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786966998

Laeral Silverhand's Explorer's Kit now has a listing on Amazon.

It's not a book; rather, it's another "dice and miscellany" (like the one they recently put out for Descent into Avernus). The "miscellany" part could be maps, monster cards, etc.

It is, however, almost certainly thematically connected to https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Release-announced-January/dp/0786966912/ the new book coming in March, which is set to be announced this Thursday. We'll know more then.

For now, to me it seems likely that the book is either a rest-of-Faerun follow-up to the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (meaning those two books put together would be our 5e FRCS); or else a rest-of-Toril campaign guide (perhaps some combination of Zakhara, Kara-Tur, and Maztica, presented Marco Polo-style); or (my least favorite possibility, but I think equally likely, especially since the last release was *also* a campaign setting book) a loosely themed adventure anthology in the Realms.

Note that the dice and miscellany is "Forgotten Realms" themed, which we haven't seen before in 5e (the font an placement is identical to what we've seen now for "Waterdeep," "Baldur's Gate," and "Eberron" in previous supplements).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2020 :  15:35:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those dice do not impress me. I'm not saying anything negative about them; I'm just too big a fan of Q-Workshop to be impressed by much else.

I need to know what the "miscellany" is before I commit.

I am interested to know what that other book is, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2020 :  17:04:31  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whatever the book turns out to contain, I would wager good money it will be titled "Laeral Silverhand's something something," with "Forgotten Realms" above the title.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2020 :  17:14:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
not sure why one would think its a campaign guide. I wouldn't be surprised if its new game options for explorers (i.e. crunch) like the Xanathar's guide, etc... It might include new spells, items both mundane and magical, etc... That being said, if they chose to expand knowledge of the realms in other areas since the sundering, it would be of interest, but in my view this could be pretty much anything.

On the dice pack... $30 for a set of dice to me means there better be a lot of miscellany in that.... especially since I don't need any new dice. They look to be plastic as well, so not even something that I might be impressed with like metal dice or stone dice, etc...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2020 :  17:42:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With
quote:
Product Dimensions: 5 x 5 x 1 inches
I would not expect much. Certainly not campaign guide.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 06 Jan 2020 17:44:53
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2020 :  18:27:29  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saw an image of the Miscellany that seemed to be a map of the Sword Coast and a set of flashcards of people and places.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2020 :  18:51:16  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

With
quote:

Those are the dimensions for the "Dice and Miscellany"; it's the hardcover book that procuct will be paired with that we're speculating might be a campaign guide.

Edit: AND...now that the full details on the Dice and Miscellany have been revealed, and it turns out to be entirely confined to the Sword Coast, I'm revising my speculation: it now seems quite unlikely the book will venture outside the same territory they've already explored in other 5e books. Sigh...

Edited by - John Daker on 06 Jan 2020 18:58:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2020 :  22:02:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Saw an image of the Miscellany that seemed to be a map of the Sword Coast and a set of flashcards of people and places.

Got a link?

A map, some meh dice, and flash cards with what I expect to be underwhelming and/or recycled art -- that does not strike me as being worth $30. If the map was good, I might go $15, but that's it.

Go to Top of Page

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2020 :  22:41:41  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Got a link?

dnd.wizards.com
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2020 :  23:14:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another trip to Old Owlbear Well. Let's dip away!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2020 :  03:38:01  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-In my experience, Forgotten Realms-related stuff and "Miscellany" have never been a good combination.

-I'd like the concept if it was like a Volo's Guide or Aurora's kind of thing, like Laeral talking about adventuring and what you encounter and what you need and so on, but this? Eh, not exactly seeming like that.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2020 :  03:56:02  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of the art that you can see in the promo is quite beautiful. I love that rendition of Neverwinter. Still not worth $30, but better.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2020 :  04:38:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Some of the art that you can see in the promo is quite beautiful. I love that rendition of Neverwinter. Still not worth $30, but better.

Agreed.

Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2020 :  06:47:40  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No matter what the quality or actual worth of it, you can bet that it will sell. There are enough folks out there that will buy just about anything.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)

Edited by - Nilus Reynard on 07 Jan 2020 06:48:13
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  02:16:29  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Daker

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

With
quote:

Those are the dimensions for the "Dice and Miscellany"; it's the hardcover book that procuct will be paired with that we're speculating might be a campaign guide.

Edit: AND...now that the full details on the Dice and Miscellany have been revealed, and it turns out to be entirely confined to the Sword Coast, I'm revising my speculation: it now seems quite unlikely the book will venture outside the same territory they've already explored in other 5e books. Sigh...

The title of the dice set is Forgotten Realms: Laeral Silverhand's Explorer's Kit and the book being revealed will undoubtedly have a similar name. So the name this book is most like would be Eberron: Rising from the Last War. No other 5e book had FR in the title. So logically it will be a 5e style Campaign Setting book for FR. 5e style meaning it will also likely have Player and DM stuff beyond the usual FRCG type books.

The cards in the Dice set are "From across the realms" not from across the Swordcoast suggests more then just the Swordcoast. Yes the map is very... Limited and disappointing, but perhaps they decided to have a city of Sharn like chapter in the book dedicated to Waterdeep.

And I've heard suggestions that these two won't be the only products revealed at the announcement. Perhaps there will be a seperate Map Pack item like Eberron got when E: RftLW was released. That would explain why only a Swordcoast/Waterdeep map in released with the dice.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  02:19:10  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Those dice do not impress me. I'm not saying anything negative about them; I'm just too big a fan of Q-Workshop to be impressed by much else.

I need to know what the "miscellany" is before I commit.

I am interested to know what that other book is, though.

The announcement has been pushed back to Monday the 13th, WotC ran into somekind of snag.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  07:25:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking they were trying to work out the best way to let you down easy, Gyor.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Stonwulfe
Seeker

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  18:52:11  Show Profile  Visit Stonwulfe's Homepage Send Stonwulfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my mind the only way they could make this better is if the map was fabric.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2020 :  02:40:40  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'm thinking they were trying to work out the best way to let you down easy, Gyor.

-- George Krashos

Hehehe you could be right, given that according to Greg Tito the dice are meant to be Evergreen and not tied to a campaign. Man was I pissed when I realized it wasn't going to be a FRCG style book.

But there is a new Ampersands out on Wizards Facebook page, which looks like a cog on a great wheel and so I'm going back to my predice guess that it's going to be a Planescape/Planeshift style book from the perspective of that Planeswalking Gnome Artificer from Eberron mentioned in E: RftLW. It's will be a mix of setting guide and XGTE style book.

That is my guess now. But I could be wrong.

Edited by - Gyor on 11 Jan 2020 02:41:46
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2020 :  16:28:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a 300 pages Critical Role Campaign Setting, basically: https://dnd.wizards.com/products/wildemount

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 13 Jan 2020 16:29:28
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2020 :  20:27:47  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's the 2nd or 3rd new campaign book? I wonder why they won't put one out for the Realms. :(
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2020 :  20:33:16  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because they want to have free room to alter most things as they see fit to write their adventures.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2020 :  21:19:18  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, but they could just exclude the Sword Coast. Ah well, I can dream for a campaign guide and a dozen more Volo's guides at any rate. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2020 :  22:19:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as we see from ToA, they can sometimes go outside of the Sword Coast/The North, so I guess they just want to have free reign on every area. Ironically, they did make a CS for the Sword Coast...

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2020 :  23:34:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don’t get these campaign books...all that and they could be making setting material

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2020 :  23:55:53  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I don’t get these campaign books...all that and they could be making setting material

I mean, this is setting material. It’s pretty rules-light: three subclasses, some magic items, and some monsters. The Ravnica book was also primarily fluff.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2020 :  01:25:02  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just meant Forgotten Realms material lol

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2020 :  02:43:36  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

It's a 300 pages Critical Role Campaign Setting, basically: https://dnd.wizards.com/products/wildemount

Well at least I got it right about it being a Campaign Setting book, even if the location is off.

And when it was leaked yesterday it rose to #15 on Amazon's best seller list and #1 after the official announcement, so clearly it was a good business move.

So the good news for FR fans is this did not take a setting slot for this year because Critical Role community did most of the work including half the art, and it's huge success (along with Eberron: Rising From The Last War and Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica) will encourage WotC to publish more Campaign Setting Guides,they will be hooked on the bigger profits they appear to generate compared to APs. Which means more Setting books.

Ravnica (most popular MtG setting), Exandia, and Eberron were all popular enough to be low risk settings compared to most of the rest, now that those were successful, WotC is more likely to explore risker settings (although honestly FR isn't a risky bet at all, so its likely coning out later this year or next IMHO).

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2020 :  02:46:25  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Well, as we see from ToA, they can sometimes go outside of the Sword Coast/The North, so I guess they just want to have free reign on every area. Ironically, they did make a CS for the Sword Coast...

And then they did ones for Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate as chapters in APs on top of that.

But I still have faith that WotC will some day smarten up, in some universe.

Edited by - Gyor on 14 Jan 2020 02:49:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000