Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Bawa dates in Dale Reckoning
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2020 :  13:01:15  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
From Kara Tur Box Set :

- Bawa is one of "The young nations of the south"

- "Burur was founded in 122 as a frontier post after the Kabuayan Wars ended."

- "the Tjipto Royal Palace (constructed during the reign of Tjipto, 244-253)"

- "Of all the Bawani tribes, the Kabuaya have the best relationship with the Bavanese, though but a couple of centuries ago they were the most deadly of enemies."

The Kabuayan Wars ended two or three centuries ago. So around 1100 DR.
Burur was founded as a border post after the end of the Kabuayan Wars in 122.

The year of the bloody fields, 1110 DR, seems appropriate fot the end of the Kabuayan Wars.

This gives :
988 : foundation of the Kingdom of Bawa
1110 : end of the Kabuayan Wars and foundation of Burur.
1232 - 1241 : reign of Tjipto and construction of the palace

What do you think?

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2020 :  23:24:39  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Asharak,

Great post to try to get to the bottom of one the largest, yet worst represented parts of Toril!

I think you are close, but just polarly opposite on the timeline.

There is nothing I could find that says Bawa as an island with the three kingdoms used their own timeline. So, I looked around and found a good collection, in one spot, of the calendars. That url is below as a reference point:

http://oaproject.tripod.com/kt-tl.html

As an example, you'll note that the sample dates are given: Sample Date: 1177 (1/1) (345 Wa) {-73 DR}

The first number, 1177, is in Shou time. The second parenthetical number (1/1) is added to the Shou to be written as (1/1) 11711 in Kozakuran time. The first number in the parentheses is how many sixty year cycles have occurred since year zero, and how many years into the current cycle you are. The third number is Wanese, which is always a number in parentheses with Wa next to it. Finally is Dale Reckoning. The valuable thing here is that that set of numbers are equal to one another, so we have a zero. With that being the case, we can take a look at Bawa.

Knowing there is no known timeline/calendar for Bawa, I looked at their proximity to southern Kara-Tur. The three significant countries closest to them are Malatra, T'ulung, and Shou Lung. They all use the Shou calendar. The Shou calendar is 1,250 years ahead of DR, so we take 122 - 1250, to get us to -1128 DR for when Burur is founded.

I'm aware that you quoted Bawa as being one of the youngest nations of the south, but I took note on page 12 of the Kara-Tur boxed set, it says "Much of the Imperial City is constructed on the ruins of an earlier capital burned down in 2050." The idea here is that it listed that city burning in 2050, with no parentheses, etc. There is nothing in the boxed set that seems to adjust these dates relative to DR. If that is the case, then the year city burned down that I just quoted would be adjusted downward by 1,250 years, or in other words the year 800 Dale Reckoning. This assertion of mine is corroborated as fact upon examining page 103 of the GHotR where it is stated:

quote:
The last ruler of the Kao Dynasty and his family perish in a fire that sweeps the old Imperial City in Shou Lung. His third cousin Ton Bor becomes the first emperor of the La (Wax) Dynasty, a period of widespread corruption and mismanagement.

So, it looks like your timeline given as follows:

quote:

• -1250 DR: foundation of the Kingdom of Bawa
  • -1128 DR: foundation of the Kingdom of Burur
  • -1006 DR: reign of Tjipto and construction of the palace

What are your thoughts on that analysis?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

From Kara Tur Box Set :

- Bawa is one of "The young nations of the south"

- "Burur was founded in 122 as a frontier post after the Kabuayan Wars ended."

- "the Tjipto Royal Palace (constructed during the reign of Tjipto, 244-253)"

- "Of all the Bawani tribes, the Kabuaya have the best relationship with the Bavanese, though but a couple of centuries ago they were the most deadly of enemies."

The Kabuayan Wars ended two or three centuries ago. So around 1100 DR.
Burur was founded as a border post after the end of the Kabuayan Wars in 122.

The year of the bloody fields, 1110 DR, seems appropriate fot the end of the Kabuayan Wars.

This gives :

What do you think?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000