Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Queer Culture in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2020 :  23:50:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: Mord's elves; yeah, I think the discussion about Corellon's chosen came up earlier in this very thread. There are a lot of things that just don't work. In addition to stifling curiosity, this past lives thing would make every elf, no matter how young, hyper-experienced/skilled/knowledgeable. They would all be super-individuals, which cleaerly isn't the case in any D&D world that I know of. So we have lore that contradicts not only previous lore, but also how the world is portrayed.

Also, IIRC, they seem to imply that no new elven soul is created, which would make every elf actually, what? 30-40k+ years old? It would also mean that the number of elves at a given time can't exceed a certain number, which would be quite weird.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 09 Feb 2020 23:52:14
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  01:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed responded to me about how bodily gender transitioning is done in the Realms, and he confirms that it is often done at temples for the faithful: https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1226676374125056002?s=20

Yes! I have wanted this information for YEARS.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  01:34:20  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Ed responded to me about how bodily gender transitioning is done in the Realms, and he confirms that it is often done at temples for the faithful: https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1226676374125056002?s=20

Fantastic! I asked him if any particular deities stand out for this sort of practice.

EDIT: He said ultimately your dedication to a given god matters more than anything else (so someone devoted to a particular deity would have better odds of requesting such a thing), but that Sune and Liira are among the most popular.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.

Edited by - keftiu on 10 Feb 2020 02:01:02
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  15:34:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for sharing!

Go to Top of Page

Grumpy Hamatula
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  15:41:55  Show Profile Send Grumpy Hamatula a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is wonderful information. I'll be sharing it with my group today, actually, as it's a question that has come up recently.

I'd also like to point out that I'm grateful for this thread on the whole. As a genderqueer individual, I appreciate seeing matters related to LGBTQIA+ folks treated so openly and positively.

This is one of the many reasons I have loved the Realms for a long time.
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  21:29:31  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tangential thought branching off of Ed’s replies there: I kinda love the idea of a devout champion of some god whose domains have nothing to do with selfhood, bodies, change, love, or the like getting that blessing. Nothing quite like a glorious, bloody champion of Tempus, Helm, or Bane demanding their proper body after all the fighting they’ve done.

Is there a god of athleticism in the Realms? I had a transmasc athlete/priest of Dol Dorn in my Eberron supplement, and doing something similar would be a lot of fun.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  22:01:57  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're looking for Lathander.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  22:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Tangential thought branching off of Ed’s replies there: I kinda love the idea of a devout champion of some god whose domains have nothing to do with selfhood, bodies, change, love, or the like getting that blessing. Nothing quite like a glorious, bloody champion of Tempus, Helm, or Bane demanding their proper body after all the fighting they’ve done.

Is there a god of athleticism in the Realms? I had a transmasc athlete/priest of Dol Dorn in my Eberron supplement, and doing something similar would be a lot of fun.

Hell yes! I love that idea!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2020 :  10:46:00  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slightly off topic but not totally, outside of one character I don't right off recall Polygamy being mentioned in the Realms.

Apparently Turmish culture regarding marriage is somewhat similar to pre-modern Islamic culture in that a man may have multiple wives (up to 4?) - based on Akabar Bel Akash in the Finder's Stone trilogy anyway. However the only other novel I know of set in Turmish has no characters in common with Akabar.

I know Ed's spoken of polyamorous relationships as very common place in the Realms; are there other characters or heartland areas in Faerun that practice polygamy? Was Akabar just a fluke?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2020 :  14:27:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed has mentioned a former emperor of Chondath who had multiple wives and there are numerous references to that being the normal state of affairs in Calimshan.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2020 :  20:43:49  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’d assume that much like openly gay or trans characters, previous content standards meant not many made it into canon.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2020 :  21:38:44  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh makes sense. I guess I don't recall characters in the novels from Calimsham having multiple spouses...but that Calimsham/Calimport setting book from 2nd edition is quite thick!
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2020 :  00:33:42  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’d also like to caution too much against conflating a historical notion of a harem or a dominant man with many wives with the modern notion of polyamory. They’re pretty different!

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2020 :  10:53:09  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely agree with you Keftiiu; I did mention it was off topic in that I don't equate the two! Just that the many wives thing was something that TSR seemed to have dropped about Turmish culture when they went back to the area later, and it never made sense to me. I do think Ed's version of Polyamory in the Realms seems more like a modern interpretation of it, rather than the harem thing, if thats any comfort.
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2020 :  05:51:48  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If we take 'very close friends' to be a stand-in for a gay relationship in the old days, then Raella Hiess and Vhondryl of Skullport are good candidates for a lesbian couple. Described as friends, companions, and partners (in business, at least), they're "quite fond of each other" and live together at the Deepfires inn. What's more, Vhondryl is a follower of Loviatar and they let outsiders believe that Raella works for Vhondryl as a barmaid, when Raella actually owns the inn, so they could well have a consensual, non-villainous bondage relationship too.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Vhondryl
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Raella_Hiess

The following female-living-as-a-man characters (obviously more common and acceptable in the past) could be read as trans, though other readings are possible:
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Talessyr_Tranth (female living as a man)
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Landswith_Meilin (goes out of her way to hide gender)
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Coril (female disguised as a man while in hiding)
There are more of them in the old lore. These two seem to have been made trans due to error (there's probably more out there):
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Raulauvin_Oregh (male sex, feminine pronoun)
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Arash_bint_Sanjar (masculine pronoun, feminine patronymic, but might be a woman ruling as a man)

For polyamory, the romantic relationships between Beliot Sevenecho, innkeeper of the Worried Wyvern, and his four friendly chambermaids could be polyamorous, possibly with a bit of bondage (but defined in terms of an adventuring band rather than their employment at the inn).
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Beliot_Sevenecho

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

Telprydain
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2020 :  05:39:20  Show Profile Send Telprydain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not much to contribute here, but it is interesting looking at how attitudes have evolved over time - particularly in terms of what can be formally integrated into the published setting.
For example, in the 5e Dragon Heist module there are a handful of LGBTQ+ characters, including a married gay couple (a fire genasi named Embric and a water genasi named Avi) and a non-binary druid (Fala Lefaliir is an outgoing wood elf, and the module states that "like elven god Corellon Larethian, Fala is neither male nor female", and specifically states that, "if referred to as “he” or “she,” Fala gently requests to be addressed by name or as “they.”")

Obviously there's still a long way to go, but that representation is starting to be seen in an explicit form.

Edited by - Telprydain on 20 Feb 2020 05:39:51
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  19:19:16  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I can certainly appreciate that the debate must have become quite robust over such topics when they occurred over inclusion of material into accessories, novels, etc.

Are there topics of discussion that are forbidden on this site so I can know what to steer clear of? After having read the Code of Conduct, it seemed that practically anything was fair game, but I didn't want to assume.

It seems with your decree that debate regarding being "straight and cis, they can be LGBTQ" is not ok, but perhaps other formats of discussing such topics are acceptable?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's not really been addressed that much, save for a passing reference here and there.

TSR was scared of running afoul of the many self-proclaimed moral watchdogs of the age, and went out of their way to avoid anything other than straight, cis characters (actually, TSR barely even touched on anything related to sex).

When WotC came along, there was less concern over the potential blowback on such topics, but they still more or less didn't really go into it. It's only been in the last few years that they've become more inclusive; there was I believe I 5E book where they finally, point blank said "hey, your character doesn't have to be straight and cis, they can be LGBTQ." Oddly, there was a lot of debate over that one (debate that we WILL NOT be having again!).

Ed has more than once addressed the topic; what he has said is that for the most part, as long as everyone involved is of age and consenting, no one really cares.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  20:34:15  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Seravin,

You make an interesting point about the dropping of "many wives" from Turmish culture. TSR/WotC have cleansed, or seemingly chosen to avoid, material of questionable interpretations at different times in their existence. In one way, it makes sense as they are looking at the bottom line and if people are not purchasing their materials because it is offensive, then they won't.

On the other hand, they've produced materials like the Book of Vile Darkness, but then don't develop Loviatar, Shar, Sharress, Garagos, etc. in the way and with the material that you know would be needed. When a subject gets hot due to what is an ethics/values argument in the end, they appear to just try to scrub it all away with their products so as to avoid scandal. Upon scrutiny, it just sort of makes it awkward as hell! I mean, ethics, values, principles, etc., are a difficult subject matter. It is constantly front and center in the Realms, but you never really see take it on directly as there is too much risk likely with having a choice being seen as for one side and against another.

Here is an example:

quote:
Men are forbidden to marry before the age of 20 and cannot live with their wives until age 30. Akanax scorns the arts of Cimbar but admires its fighting spirit. The city is organized like a military camp. Women exist to serve the men, who eat at a common mess and train together constantly."(FR10 Old Empires, pg54)

That was for the city of Akanax in that 1990 accessory. Here is a listing of the same city, in the 3rd FRCS:

quote:
Akanax (Large City, 24,632): This town functions like a military camp. Male citizens are conscripted into the army or slain for desertion. Strangers are only barely tolerated here and viewed with suspicion. No mercenary companies are allowed within its borders. Akanax has been warring with Luthcheq for several years, and has allied with Cimbar against Soorenar. King Hippartes (LN male
human Ftr19) is a tyrant but considered the finest soldier in the nation. Akanax's city population figure doesn't include the army camped outside the city, some fifty thousand soldiers.(Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 3rd Edition, p.184)

In the 2010, Dungeon #178, pp68-77, there is only a passing mention of Akanaxian warriors, but not even a mention of ruins, or that even existed. It is believed that the Akanaxian's built Pandrick and then rebuilt their lives from there. What I find interesting is the quote from that article:

quote:
Pandrick: The fortress city of Pandrick (population 6,500) is the cultural antithesis of Erebos. Like the fabled Akanaxian warriors of old, citizens of Pandrick (both male and female) are bonded into
military service at a young age and trained in martial combat. King Zeareus of Pandrick entered into an
uneasy truce with Luthcheq several years ago, but with the Karanok’s attentions focused on Threskel,
some predict that Pandrick will soon break the agreement and march on the Chessentan capital

Obviously Akanax had something happen to it that leveled it. Something also changed their society such that no longer was the sexist discrimination against women in existence. Akanax was obviously very tyrannical under King Hippartes, as seen in FR10.

I wonder why now men and women appear to be on par with one another, socially, but when Akanax existed it was quite the opposite?

Additionally, if you look at the city of Cimbar in FR10, on p.54, you can see that only land owning males are allowed to vote...

quote:
He rules with absolute authority, though a senate elected from the land-holding males of Cimbar meets frequently to make proposals; the king usually at least listens to their advice.(FR10 Old Empires, p.54)

The reality appears to be that they've removed the sexist elements from that area. Now, on one hand, that's great. Most people these days hate discrimination. However, culturally, what did Chessenta go through with their rather, old fashioned past, to change so drastically? I didn't hear of a Susan B. Anthony like person rolling in with social reform.

It would be interesting to hear about how these and other related things come about! :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Definitely agree with you Keftiiu; I did mention it was off topic in that I don't equate the two! Just that the many wives thing was something that TSR seemed to have dropped about Turmish culture when they went back to the area later, and it never made sense to me. I do think Ed's version of Polyamory in the Realms seems more like a modern interpretation of it, rather than the harem thing, if thats any comfort.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  21:27:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

I can certainly appreciate that the debate must have become quite robust over such topics when they occurred over inclusion of material into accessories, novels, etc.

Are there topics of discussion that are forbidden on this site so I can know what to steer clear of? After having read the Code of Conduct, it seemed that practically anything was fair game, but I didn't want to assume.

It seems with your decree that debate regarding being "straight and cis, they can be LGBTQ" is not ok, but perhaps other formats of discussing such topics are acceptable?

The debate was people complaining about the inclusion of non-cis and non-binary types in the game. People were throwing out all sorts of bigoted BS, calling it pandering and such nonsense.

That's what we're not debating -- whether or not we should welcome LGBT players into the game and allow LGBT characters.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  21:28:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Master Rupert,

The debate was people complaining about the inclusion of non-cis and non-binary types in the game. People were throwing out all sorts of bigoted BS, calling it pandering and such nonsense.

That's what we're not debating -- whether or not we should welcome LGBT players into the game and allow LGBT characters.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2020 :  23:58:47  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Ahhh...well, that makes a great degree of sense then! Yeah, bigoted nonsense is certainly not ok. Glad you got a handle on that and put it down as it should have been!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Master Rupert,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  07:47:04  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got linked a useful order thread with some terms from Ed's own table: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3684&whichpage=14

Not copying them all here because quite a few are supposed to be slurs (or at the very least impolite), and also I absolutely loath seeing "simpering man-lover" ever again. But it's worth noting that this gives us polite terms for gay men (liyan), lesbians (thruss), bi men (tasmar), and bi women (shaeda). I've reached out to Ed on Twitter to ask about "saece," presented as a non-derogatory term for a crossdresser, as I wonder if he'd stand by that use or have it refer to trans individuals.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  00:33:01  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe keftiu,

Curious since you made this scroll not too long ago: what, if any, effects do you feel exist with the slang that was provided via that link you shared, for how issues were viewed back in 2005 and now in 2020 for gamers? I mean, things have changed massively in 15 years.

Best regards,

quote:

Got linked a useful order thread with some terms from Ed's own table: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3684&whichpage=14

Not copying them all here because quite a few are supposed to be slurs (or at the very least impolite), and also I absolutely loath seeing "simpering man-lover" ever again. But it's worth noting that this gives us polite terms for gay men (liyan), lesbians (thruss), bi men (tasmar), and bi women (shaeda). I've reached out to Ed on Twitter to ask about "saece," presented as a non-derogatory term for a crossdresser, as I wonder if he'd stand by that use or have it refer to trans individuals.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  01:56:33  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Learned Scribe keftiu,

Curious since you made this scroll not too long ago: what, if any, effects do you feel exist with the slang that was provided via that link you shared, for how issues were viewed back in 2005 and now in 2020 for gamers? I mean, things have changed massively in 15 years.

Best regards,

quote:

Ed has always run his Realms as more progressive (and a lot more sexual) than canon could really allow up until incredibly recently. Give his statement (linked upthread) that the most common orientation in the Realms is bisexual/pansexual, I think it would be interesting to see that explored more, and I think the need for specific, gendered terms for people of that orientation might not be necessary anymore if it truly is the default. I think it’s certainly telling of the time that there’s a term for crossdresser, but not one for a transgender and/or non-binary individual, and likewise telling that so many of those terms are listed as derogatory.

Very little in Realms canon points to any solid source of cultural homophobia in a broad sense, and between that and the aforementioned “default bisexuality” I’m not sure how necessary or plausible those slurs are.

(As an aside, how many of those terms are rooted in kink is hysterical to me. Ed runs different games than most, I assume.)

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  05:03:48  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe keftiu,

Yeah, I agree regarding homophobia for example, in that it isn't really a think I can point too. That is nice.

I play with enormous amounts of divisive intolerance in my campaign, largely because I play the campaign as a somewhat "regular" medieval world with levels of education, and thus, the crap that comes with it. I like that it provides people an opportunity to decide based on their characters personality if they are going to push back, move one, or do something else from an RP perspective on that kind of stuff.

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

Learned Scribe keftiu,

Best regards,

quote:

Ed has always run his Realms as more progressive (and a lot more sexual) than canon could really allow up until incredibly recently. Give his statement (linked upthread) that the most common orientation in the Realms is bisexual/pansexual, I think it would be interesting to see that explored more, and I think the need for specific, gendered terms for people of that orientation might not be necessary anymore if it truly is the default. I think it’s certainly telling of the time that there’s a term for crossdresser, but not one for a transgender and/or non-binary individual, and likewise telling that so many of those terms are listed as derogatory.

Very little in Realms canon points to any solid source of cultural homophobia in a broad sense, and between that and the aforementioned “default bisexuality” I’m not sure how necessary or plausible those slurs are.

(As an aside, how many of those terms are rooted in kink is hysterical to me. Ed runs different games than most, I assume.)

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  05:22:43  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Learned Scribe keftiu,

Yeah, I agree regarding homophobia for example, in that it isn't really a think I can point too. That is nice.

I play with enormous amounts of divisive intolerance in my campaign, largely because I play the campaign as a somewhat "regular" medieval world with levels of education, and thus, the crap that comes with it. I like that it provides people an opportunity to decide based on their characters personality if they are going to push back, move one, or do something else from an RP perspective on that kind of stuff.

Best regards,

And as a queer woman who faces plenty of that in the real world (as do the other queer folks I game with), I see no reason to bring that into a fictional setting whose creator has explicitly said there isn't such a thing.

Edited by - keftiu on 04 Mar 2020 07:27:45
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2020 :  05:35:37  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe keftiu,

Sounds like you've got it worked out for your campaign then! :)

I appreciate the discourse as always.

Best regards,

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by cpthero2

Learned Scribe keftiu,

Best regards,

[quote]Originally posted by cpthero2

And as a queer woman who faces plenty of that in the real world (as do the other queer folks I game with), I see no reason to bring that into a fictional setting whose creator has explicitly said there isn't such a thing.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2020 :  01:05:34  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Word from Ed! I reached out to him about the queer terminology linked in that thread from 2005, and asked what terms (if any) there were for trans people. Very pleased at his reply: https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1235719809054236683?s=20

In brief:

-Those who are in the process of transitioning are known as "poised" across the Sword Coast and Heartlands, through trade routes into Sembia and Chessenta, but the term is regional and largely unknown beyond those areas.
-Those who have settled into an identity sometimes call themselves silder, from Elven, for "at rest after changing," originally used for animals and plants with a transformative life cycle.
-No slurs other than ul-faced, which is more commonly used for those who are erratic, two-faced, or shifting in loyalties, but is sometimes used disparagingly for those whose appearance suddenly and drastically changes - which could be used for someone who transitioned, but usually has other uses (like those who want to look like a famous individual.)

Super neat stuff!

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2020 :  02:18:45  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe keftiu,

I love it when Ed goes and does something like that. Gets back to some goodness from 15 years ago and makes it happen. So awesome!

So, do you feel there is more that Ed is going to distribute terminology-wise, or did that sort of hit the gamut on what people have been looking for Realms-wise?

Best regards,

quote:

Word from Ed! I reached out to him about the queer terminology linked in that thread from 2005, and asked what terms (if any) there were for trans people. Very pleased at his reply: https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/1235719809054236683?s=20

In brief:

-Those who are in the process of transitioning are known as "poised" across the Sword Coast and Heartlands, through trade routes into Sembia and Chessenta, but the term is regional and largely unknown beyond those areas.
-Those who have settled into an identity sometimes call themselves silder, from Elven, for "at rest after changing," originally used for animals and plants with a transformative life cycle.
-No slurs other than ul-faced, which is more commonly used for those who are erratic, two-faced, or shifting in loyalties, but is sometimes used disparagingly for those whose appearance suddenly and drastically changes - which could be used for someone who transitioned, but usually has other uses (like those who want to look like a famous individual.)

Super neat stuff!

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2020 :  02:49:14  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Learned Scribe keftiu,

I love it when Ed goes and does something like that. Gets back to some goodness from 15 years ago and makes it happen. So awesome!

So, do you feel there is more that Ed is going to distribute terminology-wise, or did that sort of hit the gamut on what people have been looking for Realms-wise?

Best regards,

quote:

In brief:

Super neat stuff!

The only real hole I see is for non-binary individuals, though I do think the old "goodfaer" as a formal term of address forms a good starting point - and gives me a handy excuse to treat fae/faer as a common neopronoun set across Faerun.

Now, if only we could actually see canon reflect this "the majority of people are bisexual, polyamory is incredibly common, and everyone knows someone who has transitioned" version of the Realms that Ed presents...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000