Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Shadar-Kai (Shadow Elves)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2019 :  15:45:56  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I like the concept and lore behind the 5ED shadow elves. I was just wondering if anyone has converted the 5ED Shadar-Kai into a 3.5ED stat block for the race? If not I may undertake the task myself. Any and all help is very welcomed.

CEV.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2019 :  16:17:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

I like the concept and lore behind the 5ED shadow elves. I was just wondering if anyone has converted the 5ED Shadar-Kai into a 3.5ED stat block for the race? If not I may undertake the task myself. Any and all help is very welcomed.

CEV.

Didn't the shadar-kai come from 3.x to begin with?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2019 :  19:15:43  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Didn't the shadar-kai come from 3.x to begin with?

Just a brief search says that Wooly is correct as seen at FR Wiki, RealmsHelps, 1d4Chan, and even someone else doing a "homebrew" 3.5 write-up at D&D Wiki with a few more stabs taken by others at Paizo.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2019 :  20:08:06  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, seen them all. But in 3ED they're not as they are in 5ED. Just wondering if we can take the 5ED stats and convert them?

Has anyone done it? If not I will.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2019 :  20:15:53  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Point being that none of those other stats seem good and agreeable. I mean, has anyone thrown down a 3.5 ed version? Besides the current one that is not so good.
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2019 :  01:38:57  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, so you are uninterested in what they were during the 3.xE Forgotten Realms. So I'm going to set aside my opinion and ask what needs to be changed for the 5E writeup to mash it into the 3E system? As a follow-up, which era of FR is this for (mid 14th century, late 14th century, late 15th century)? Keep in mind that their changes between the editions & retcons of lore have been controversial.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2019 :  02:19:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadar-Kai already have stats/etc for 3.5E. And 4E and 5E.
And they've changed a lot each time, effectively becoming new species for each new ruleset. I don't think there's any writeups (yet) of the 5E variants in 3.5E formats.

The WotC download site used to have a "schattenelfen" document (for ancient AD&D) which was apparently an inspiration for both shades and for drow.
I recall these dark shadow elves being a militant psionic cthulhu-worshipping species of half-unliving fey shades, their chainmail and weapons were made of a special alloy which would somehow absorb the blood of worthy kills until it eventually become a dark almost-black reddish metal with powerful echantments. I don't recall what the file was named and I can't find any copy of it archived online, I think it was a rough rtf drafts written by Gygax or Moore back in the formative D&D era, meant for some kind of "Hollow World" setting which became Blackmoor.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2019 :  03:12:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Shadar-Kai already have stats/etc for 3.5E. And 4E and 5E.
And they've changed a lot each time, effectively becoming new species for each new ruleset. I don't think there's any writeups (yet) of the 5E variants in 3.5E formats.

The WotC download site used to have a "schattenelfen" document (for ancient AD&D) which was apparently an inspiration for both shades and for drow.
I recall these dark shadow elves being a militant psionic cthulhu-worshipping species of half-unliving fey shades, their chainmail and weapons were made of a special alloy which would somehow absorb the blood of worthy kills until it eventually become a dark almost-black reddish metal with powerful echantments. I don't recall what the file was named and I can't find any copy of it archived online, I think it was a rough rtf drafts written by Gygax or Moore back in the formative D&D era, meant for some kind of "Hollow World" setting which became Blackmoor.

Some of that really old content is still there -- I just now downloaded a file from their site that was posted around 2000. So far as I know, there have been no links to the file since shortly after that time; I looked for that and other files off and on for a while before finding them, around 2007 or 2008.

If you could get the file name, I can see if I have it, or I can try to figure out the URL based on those other lost files that I know are still there. That was what I had to do to find the "Dwarven Myth" article -- I knew the URLs for some of the other files, and as soon as someone gave me the name for the file, I was able to figure out the path and download it.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2019 :  07:45:23  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I created Thoran for v3.5 conversion from 4e (cuz why not) I had to go to the Fiene Folio and recalculate the bonuses and effects and proficiencies of the 3.0 Shadar-Kai class. Because of that, here is my 3.5 update.

Shadar-Kai As Characters
Shadar-Kai characters possess the following racial traits.
• +4 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Constitution.
• Medium Sized.
• Space/Reach: 5 feet/5 feet
• A Shadar-Kai’s base land speed is 30 feet.
• Superior Low-Light Vision. A shadar-kai sees four times as good in low-light conditions as humans.
• Racial Hit Dice: A shadar-kai begins with three levels of fey, which provide 3d6 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and a base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +3, and Will +3.
• Racial Skills: A shadar-kai’s fey levels give it skill points equal to 36 x (6 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Spot, and Survival checks. Shadar-Kai also receive a +10 racial bonus on Hide checks made in dark or shadowy conditions.
• Racial Feats: A shadar-kai’s fey levels give it two feats. Additionally, they gain Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked-chain) as a racial bonus feat.
• Armor Proficiency: A shadar-kai is proficient with all light armor.
Weapon Proficiency: A shadar-kai is proficient with simple weapons, shortbows, and spiked-chains.
Sneak Attack (Ex): Anytime a shadar-kai’s target is denied a Dexterity bonus, or when a target is flanked by a shadar-kai, the shadar-kai deals an additional 1d6 points of damage on a successful melee attack or a ranged attack within 30 feet. This damage stacks with sneak attack damage from other sources, such as rogue levels.
Hide in Plain Sight (Su): Shadar-kai can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as they are not illuminated by natural daylight, the daylight spell, or a similar magical light, shadar-kai can hide themselves from view in the open without having anything to actually hide behind.
Shadow Curse (Su): The Plane of Shadow (otherwise known as the Shadowfell) exerts a tremendous pull on a shadar-kai’s soul, which is only tenuously connected to its mortal body. Any time a shadar-kai is stunned, dazed, staggered, or unconscious (other than from natural sleep), the shadow fey must make a Will save (DC 15) or lose a portion of her soul to the Plan of Shadow. The shadar-kai must also attempt to save any time she removes a gal-ralan, if she has one (see Shadar-Kai Items, Fiend Folio, pg. 151).

A shadar-kai with a damaged soul gains one negative level that cannot be removed until she restores her soul completely. If exposed to another event that requires a save against the shadow curse, a shadar-kai may gain additional negative levels. A shadar-kai on the Plane of Shadow can transfix her soul to her body again with a greater restoration spell. A shadar-kai on the Material Plane (or elsewhere) must use a wish or miracle spell to restore her soul.

A shadar-kai afflicted with the shadow curse cannot be raised from the dead or resurrected, and cannot gain experience. The touch of the shadow curse galls a shadar-kai, filling her heart with an icy emptiness that eventually drives all but the most determined individuals to capitulate and leave the Material Plane altogether.

A shadar-kai who goes to the Plane of Shadow and remains there ameliorates the effects of the shadow curse and suffers no ill effects. However, if she leaves the Plane of Shadow without restoring her soul, she suffers the effects of the shadow curse until she returns to the Plane of Shadow or restores her soul.
Automatic Languages: Common, Elven, Sylvan.
Favored Class: Rogue
Level Adjustment: +1
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2019 :  17:12:48  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Diffan. Using your build I will make a similar build for 3.5ed.

Shadar-Kai As Characters
Shadar-Kai characters possess the following racial traits.
• +4 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution
• Medium Sized.
• Space/Reach: 5 feet/5 feet
• A Shadar-Kai’s base land speed is 30 feet.
• Superior Low-Light Vision. A shadar-kai sees four times as good in low-light conditions as humans.
• Racial Hit Dice: A shadar-kai begins with three levels of fey, which provide 3d6 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and a base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +3, and Will +3.
• Racial Skills: A shadar-kai’s fey levels give it skill points equal to 36 x (6 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Spot, and Survival checks. Shadar-Kai also receive a +10 racial bonus on Hide checks made in dark or shadowy conditions.
• Racial Feats: A shadar-kai’s fey levels give it two feats. Additionally, they gain Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked-chain) as a racial bonus feat.
• Armor Proficiency: A shadar-kai is proficient with all light armor.
Weapon Proficiency: A shadar-kai is proficient with simple weapons, shortbows, and spiked-chains.
Sneak Attack (Ex): Anytime a shadar-kai’s target is denied a Dexterity bonus, or when a target is flanked by a shadar-kai, the shadar-kai deals an additional 1d6 points of damage on a successful melee attack or a ranged attack within 30 feet. This damage stacks with sneak attack damage from other sources, such as rogue levels.
Hide in Plain Sight (Su): Shadar-kai can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as they are not illuminated by natural daylight, the daylight spell, or a similar magical light, shadar-kai can hide themselves from view in the open without having anything to actually hide behind.
Fey Ancestry (Su): Immunity to sleep spells and effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
* Deathly Cantrip (Sp): You know a single cantrip chosen from a list of Ray of frost, Touch of Fatigue and Ghost sound. This cantrip can't be changed at a later date. Your spellcasting ability score for this cantrip is Charisma.
* Blessing of Shadow (Su): You can use a bonus action to teleport to an unoccupied space within 30 feet. After teleporting, you gain resistance to all damage until the end of your next turn, during which time you appear translucent and ghostly. This supernatural ability can only be used 3Xday.
Shadow Curse (Su): The Plane of Shadow (otherwise known as the Shadowfell) exerts a tremendous pull on a shadar-kai’s soul, which is only tenuously connected to its mortal body. Any time a shadar-kai is stunned, dazed, staggered, or unconscious (other than from natural sleep), the shadow fey must make a Will save (DC 15) or lose a portion of her soul to the Plan of Shadow. The shadar-kai must also attempt to save any time she removes a gal-ralan, if she has one (see Shadar-Kai Items, Fiend Folio, pg. 151).

A shadar-kai with a damaged soul gains one negative level that cannot be removed until she restores her soul completely. If exposed to another event that requires a save against the shadow curse, a shadar-kai may gain additional negative levels. A shadar-kai on the Plane of Shadow can transfix her soul to her body again with a greater restoration spell. A shadar-kai on the Material Plane (or elsewhere) must use a wish or miracle spell to restore her soul.

A shadar-kai afflicted with the shadow curse cannot be raised from the dead or resurrected, and cannot gain experience. The touch of the shadow curse galls a shadar-kai, filling her heart with an icy emptiness that eventually drives all but the most determined individuals to capitulate and leave the Material Plane altogether.

A shadar-kai who goes to the Plane of Shadow and remains there ameliorates the effects of the shadow curse and suffers no ill effects. However, if she leaves the Plane of Shadow without restoring her soul, she suffers the effects of the shadow curse until she returns to the Plane of Shadow or restores her soul.
Automatic Languages: Common, Elven, Sylvan.
Favored Class: Rogue
Level Adjustment: +2

Edited by - Copper Elven Vampire on 24 Dec 2019 20:17:20
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2019 :  19:13:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What amazes me is how many different "shadow elves" there have been in D&D. Mystara had a race of them that lived underground but weren't drow. They were pale skinned and weren't necessarily evil, and they had a very shamanistic culture. Then there were the "shadow elves" from Ravenloft from the Shadow Rift which were another thing entirely. Now the Shadar-Kai. One could ALMOST link the Shadar-Kai and the ones from ravenloft if one worked at it (since there's this rumored thing about elves and one time being shapeshifters and the "shadow elves" or Arak of Ravenloft being a very unusual fey race whose children don't necessarily match the parent at all). Heck, there may have been other shadow elves as well that I don't know about.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2019 :  20:33:58  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed’s original Dark Elves were not Drow; but they did live underground.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2019 :  21:42:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CVE, I'm a tad confused. The write-up I did was for 3e/3.5 using the stat block of their character from Fiend Folio though yours seems to be a mixture of both 3e and 5e.

They provided stats for Shadar-Kai for 5e officially too.

Edit: if you want to make them a bit more like the 5e write-up, keep it as is with their normal stat boosts but give them Resistance 5 cold and negative energy and their SLA Blessing of The Raven Queen teleport about ability, then bump their LA to +2.

Alternative could be remove the Resistance and add in Spell Resistance 11+ level to any Weave-based magic.

Edited by - Diffan on 23 Dec 2019 21:47:04
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2019 :  23:48:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

What amazes me is how many different "shadow elves" there have been in D&D...
Elves have always been popular (because Middle Earth), dark elves have long been even more popular (because stats, because Drizzt).

But Shadar-Kai - as interesting as they they might be - always struck me as late-3E fan service, all the best coolnesss of elf and drow and shade in one kickass package. Even the Shadovar (Netherese human shades) weren't as cool. Other shades based on demihumans and monster have never received much dedicated attention... sadly deprecating the possibilities (shadowdwarf, shadowkender, shadowgoblin, shadowgiant, shadowrustmonster, etc)... a special new race of distinct dark-fey-shades had to exist after human-shades discovered a shadowy new niche.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2019 :  02:16:13  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"short rest or a long rest to use it again" is not a 3.x mechanic. At will, 3/Day, every 10 minutes, and other variables of time are in the system of 3.x rules.

Also, does your Shadar-Kai have any weakness to bright light or other handicaps to offset the list of extraordinary, spell-like, & supernatural abilities?

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2019 :  07:23:45  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadow Curse is supposed to be a balancing element, to keep the Level Adjustment of the Race to +1. By removing that, it easily jumps to LA +2. Add in teleport with basically an entropic shield buff, remove the -2 Con, and free spell-like abilities (even at 0 level) it's possibly a LA +3.

Like I suggested, keeping the -2 Con and Shadow-Curse but also giving it the Blessing of Shadow teleport makes it a +2 LA. I'd also change the usage to 1/day or at most 3/day. You can also mess around with the encounter-based design similar to what the Tome of Battle did, requiring at least 5 minutes of rest in between uses.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2019 :  13:31:12  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CEV, chill touch is not a cantrip in 3.5e, and the other two don't exist. Additionally, odd-numbered ability score bonuses don't exist in 3.5e.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2019 :  16:14:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure the "advantage on saves" thing is 5E, too.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2019 :  19:46:30  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Shadow Curse is supposed to be a balancing element, to keep the Level Adjustment of the Race to +1. By removing that, it easily jumps to LA +2. Add in teleport with basically an entropic shield buff, remove the -2 Con, and free spell-like abilities (even at 0 level) it's possibly a LA +3.

Like I suggested, keeping the -2 Con and Shadow-Curse but also giving it the Blessing of Shadow teleport makes it a +2 LA. I'd also change the usage to 1/day or at most 3/day. You can also mess around with the encounter-based design similar to what the Tome of Battle did, requiring at least 5 minutes of rest in between uses.

Yes, I absolutely agree with you. I'll fix it today. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2019 :  20:09:16  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

CEV, chill touch is not a cantrip in 3.5e, and the other two don't exist. Additionally, odd-numbered ability score bonuses don't exist in 3.5e.

Fixed. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2019 :  20:11:27  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pretty sure the "advantage on saves" thing is 5E, too.

Also fixed. Thank you as well.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2019 :  20:20:33  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

What amazes me is how many different "shadow elves" there have been in D&D...
Elves have always been popular (because Middle Earth), dark elves have long been even more popular (because stats, because Drizzt).

But Shadar-Kai - as interesting as they they might be - always struck me as late-3E fan service, all the best coolnesss of elf and drow and shade in one kickass package. Even the Shadovar (Netherese human shades) weren't as cool. Other shades based on demihumans and monster have never received much dedicated attention... sadly deprecating the possibilities (shadowdwarf, shadowkender, shadowgoblin, shadowgiant, shadowrustmonster, etc)... a special new race of distinct dark-fey-shades had to exist after human-shades discovered a shadowy new niche.

IMO, a character with the Shade template is far more powerful than a Shadar-Kai character. Just my two Zhents.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2019 :  22:36:13  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So if the Shadar-Kai came originally from The Plane of Faerie and later from the demi-plane of the Fey Wild... I wonder... were they Seelie or Unseelie?

Right? I mean, from what I understand, the Shadar-Kai came from the Plane of Faerie and then were duped or tricked into the Plane of Shadow along with their saviour-queen. So I wonder if they were a independent and separate society on the Plane of Faerie to begin with, or if they were affiliated with the Seelie or Unseelie Court in the beginning of their kin and kith.

Such as the Sun, Moon and Copper elves came from a Island kingdom called Faerie, on The Plane of Faerie. Am I close to correct? lol.
If only Elaine Cunningham could clarify for me right now. I can only imagine her story version of the Shadar-Kai.

Edited by - Copper Elven Vampire on 24 Dec 2019 23:59:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2019 :  06:05:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

So if the Shadar-Kai came originally from The Plane of Faerie and later from the demi-plane of the Fey Wild... I wonder... were they Seelie or Unseelie?

Right? I mean, from what I understand, the Shadar-Kai came from the Plane of Faerie and then were duped or tricked into the Plane of Shadow along with their saviour-queen. So I wonder if they were a independent and separate society on the Plane of Faerie to begin with, or if they were affiliated with the Seelie or Unseelie Court in the beginning of their kin and kith.

Such as the Sun, Moon and Copper elves came from a Island kingdom called Faerie, on The Plane of Faerie. Am I close to correct? lol.
If only Elaine Cunningham could clarify for me right now. I can only imagine her story version of the Shadar-Kai.

Mayhaps they were a faction of Unseelie, at war with another faction, and things didn't work out so well for them.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2019 :  08:23:46  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blessing of Shadow should be clear about Resistance. The concept, as included with 4e, was to make you difficult to hit and reduce damage if you were. The same concept is applied in 5e as Resistance (half damage from attacks). For 3.5, if say either have them gain the effects of a blur spell for the next round.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2019 :  20:53:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could be worth trying to link the old "ellefolk" … a sub-faction of which escaped the plane of shadow to ravenloft in the shadow rift and became known as the "Arak". They created their own Seelie and Unseelie Court. They were immortal. Maybe those who DIDN'T escape led to the creation of the Shadar-Kai. To note, the Arak (Shee) were very similar in appearance to shadar-kai and had the ability to change shape into birds. Also, Arak (Sith) could change themselves into shadows (not the undead kind, but shadows) and had an affinity for death and looked even more like the shadar-kai. Given the 5e link of the shadar-kai to the raven queen (and her similarity to the queen of air and darkness), I wouldn't be surprised if someone linked these two sub groups of the ellefolk to the creation of the shadar-kai. To note, all these ellefolk were shapechangers (something mentioned in MToF that the primal elves were shapechangers). They were captured by a great "sorcerer-fiend" of the "demiplane of shadow" named Gwydion (using 2e terms) and infused with shadow stuff and enslaved by him. Then Arak the Erlking betrayed Gwydion and helped his people escape by having his two children Loht (a Sith) and Maeve (a Shee) lead them to ravenloft (these two children started their own Unseelie / Seelie courts). Gwydion was then entrapped in the Obsidian Gate which was used in the escape and Arak died defending their retreat. Ravenloft's grand conjunction eventually freed Gwydion.

Ironically, a similar story is seen with the ghost elves (powerful entity enslaves them, uses them as his warriors, messes with their ties to the world somehow, has them create a gate which they use to escape) … but that race was enslaved by a fiend of hell and they escape him via building a portal to the ethereal. One might be tempted to conflate the two powerful entities and have one backstory, but with some of the escaping ellefolk going to the ethereal and others going to ravenloft.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2019 :  18:19:49  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Some of that really old content is still there -- I just now downloaded a file from their site that was posted around 2000. So far as I know, there have been no links to the file since shortly after that time; I looked for that and other files off and on for a while before finding them, around 2007 or 2008.

If you could get the file name, I can see if I have it, or I can try to figure out the URL based on those other lost files that I know are still there. That was what I had to do to find the "Dwarven Myth" article -- I knew the URLs for some of the other files, and as soon as someone gave me the name for the file, I was able to figure out the path and download it.

schattenalfen.rtf and SHADOW.TXT
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2019 :  20:31:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

quote:

schattenalfen.rtf and SHADOW.TXT

If those are the file names, they didn't park those files in the same place as the others I found from 2000ish.

Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2019 :  16:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If those are the file names, they didn't park those files in the same place as the others I found from 2000ish.

I have found it only on scribd but I do not have a subscription. So if anybody wants it here is a link:
https://www.scribd.com/document/47212614/Schattenalfen-An-Elvish-Race

I have also found a list of direct links to wizards archives if someone wants to get those files:
https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/seeking-pdfs-of-old-modules.540317/

I hope I am not breaching some candlekeep ethical code - those are both openly accessable sites.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2019 :  17:37:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That Schattenalfen thing looks like someone just transcribed part of a boxed set, instead of it being a separate offering.

The links to the old pdfs don't work. A couple of the non-pdf links work, but for the most part, those are all dead links.

I think that list was generated shortly after WotC took down the downloads page. The files remained available for a while after that, but then they disappeared.

I still fail to understand why they did that.

Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2019 :  18:36:03  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That Schattenalfen thing looks like someone just transcribed part of a boxed set, instead of it being a separate offering.

The links to the old pdfs don't work. A couple of the non-pdf links work, but for the most part, those are all dead links.

I think that list was generated shortly after WotC took down the downloads page. The files remained available for a while after that, but then they disappeared.

I still fail to understand why they did that.

The preview I have seen say it is taken from 5 pages from a book but there is 23 pages in that document so I suppose there is more than that.
I have expected some links to be dead but hoped some still worked as you said (and wanted to spread your secret knowledge about direct links :-)
I also do not understand why they stopped that download page as it was already released. I have thought about gathering the whole package and offer it to all but I am not sure about legality of such behavior.
Probably they later realized how much interest is still there for old books and seen money in it so they stopped it and made it sellable again...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000