Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tiny & Small race ideas for Katashaka/Anchorome
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2019 :  14:25:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, its very odd that my DM started a new game 2 weeks back, and I decided to start play testing my kercpa wizard (who has since also picked up to levels of warlock, with a patron archfey that is Rititisk the Clever). What I haven't mentioned is that without me even mentioning the things I've been developing on the side with Katashaka, the other players chose to make a kenku, an aarakocra, a tabaxi (and an earth genasi and 2 humans). I couldn't have asked for a more "Katashaka-like" campaign, and I mentioned this to my DM (who is a big realms fan mind you, but he has not much focus outside of Faerun... but a broad knowledge of most of the D&D campaign settings).

I'm really having a LOT of fun playing this 18 inch tall squirrel that's been saving the party. This got me thinking though, how fun might it be to run a game wherein many of the characters are small and tiny. I've already discussed ideas in the past for various rodent-folk races (particularly some mouse folk <muisling> that I picture as being between 6 inches and a foot tall), but others I discussed were a rabbit folk (Miraji) evolved from the al-mi'raj (and thus having a magical horn) or a meerkat based race (meerkatians) with some earth shaping abilities. I had originally pictured these other races as small, but perhaps developing other races as tiny might make them a little more unique/interesting.

So, it occurs to me, what other TINY or SMALL races would fit to either Katashaka or Anchorome in "the hidden parts of the world". Going to throw out some ideas and listen for others from folk

Anchorome (North American equivalent) & Katashaka (Africa & South America equivalents)

Skunk Person (don't call them Skanks... )

Porcupine Person (maybe a tiny tauric version?)

Weasel Person

Rabbit Person

Rat Person (similar to other rat folk, but tiny)

tiny versions of tlincalli & driders but with insectile versions of humanoid torsos

a butterfly folk with a caterpillar body and thus multiple arms (say 4 arms and two legs)

tiny birdfolk (based on a cockatiel, a cardinal, etc...)

a mixture of flying snake and yuan-ti (Serpen-ti) having arms but snake bottom and snake face and bat-like wings. Perhaps a Sarrukh or Aearee experiment unknown to Faerun.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2019 :  16:51:56  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the rat person, I would recommend the Twill (pocket rat). They are mentioned in Dragon 269 as animal companions for gnomes. They are actually marsupials, are intelligent, and have opposable thumbs. I could easily see one of them being exceptional and learning illusion magic by watching gnomes. They are 6" tall so that fits in with your Tiny group.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2019 :  20:23:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

For the rat person, I would recommend the Twill (pocket rat). They are mentioned in Dragon 269 as animal companions for gnomes. They are actually marsupials, are intelligent, and have opposable thumbs. I could easily see one of them being exceptional and learning illusion magic by watching gnomes. They are 6" tall so that fits in with your Tiny group.

good to know. There was also a race in Shining south for a small rodent like creature that was intelligent called the beguiler that this just reminded me of.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2019 :  02:41:51  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The feral halflings of Dark Sun seemed like they would fit well into undiscovered wilderness.

A pygmy version of Tabaxi might be interesting to explore.

Kenku could have migrated from Kara-Tur and lost some of their height over the ages to go form Medium to Small.

There could be some cities of deep gnomes, ancestors of pioneers who traveled Underdark paths under the seas.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Edited by - Storyteller Hero on 17 Dec 2019 02:42:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000