Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Salute 2004
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  12:24:34  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I went to Salute 2004 at Olympia, London on Saturday. This is actually the open day for the South East London Wargames Group but it is always a good place to go for general gaming & new figures. There is always a strong presence from WOTC as well.

Until this year, that is

I don't know what they are doing. As soon as I got in there, I went to the WOTC stand and they were demonstrating a variety of games (Magic etc) but the only D&D I saw was the boxed game which even had the lid on. They were even doing demos of "Lord of the Rings RISK".

Nice to see WOTC/Hasbro putting their normal effort into selling D&D. I really don't know why I bother. I can feel "Call of Cthulu" calling me again.

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  13:05:08  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whos at fault here? Hasbro or WotC?! Surely WotC can do their own thing in such events and Hasbro isnt pulling the strings all the time. Very disturbing!

Im curious to see what presence WotC make at this years GENCON UK. The "official" D&D stand at GENCON has never been on as great a scale as when TSR attended GENCON.

With the launch of d20 products by other publishers, youd think that WotC would want to shout out that D&D origins and basis of d20.

Damn, id only just managed to calm down since the last stunt that WotC pulled to upset me

Its a known fact that Hasbro dont actually care about WotC's products and D&D, surely WotC arent still in their "Magic:The Gathering is what were about, D&D?....oh isnt that that game by TSR" attitude?!

Hasbro was the worst thing to happen to D&D. Sell WotC, let someone who actually cares have a go...... and put the fluff back into the Realms while theyre at it

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 26 Apr 2004 13:10:56
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  02:06:49  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree Rad.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  02:34:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kahonen
Nice to see WOTC/Hasbro putting their normal effort into selling D&D. I really don't know why I bother.

I'm not at all surprised by what you shared. I hope you still had some fun at the event.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  02:37:34  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
Hasbro was the worst thing to happen to D&D. Sell WotC, let someone who actually cares have a go...... and put the fluff back into the Realms while theyre at it

I've heard more than one voice calling for this to occur. I doubt it ever will. However, as I went through a D20 item the past few nights that has a huge section detailing NPC personalities, I pondered what a D20 company like Green Ronin, or someone else, might do with the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  13:04:25  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

I'm not at all surprised by what you shared. I hope you still had some fun at the event.

Always and without doubt.

There's something special about watching a table top wargame (in this case Napoleonic) using over 28,000 individual 6mm figures. I can't imagine the work that went into producing them. Napoleonic isn't my bag but you've gotta give respect to the people that do these things.

There were some pretty awesome fantasy games going on, mainly using Games Workshops rules, one of which had approx 1500 figs on each side. The table was groaning under the weight.

Salute is well worth a visit for anyone even remotely interested in gaming of any sort. It's quite sad that it's become typecast as "for wargamers only". we should take full advantage of all of these events in UK - there aren't exactly a lot of them

Lord Rad, (I'm bowing now), you are absolutely right. What we need is more fluff. You can't possibly have enough fluff.

What was the last stunt that you refer to? Oh yeah, where on earth did "Lord Rad" come from - I've clearly missed something here
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  14:13:45  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lord Rad, (I'm bowing now), you are absolutely right. What we need is more fluff. You can't possibly have enough fluff.

What was the last stunt that you refer to? Oh yeah, where on earth did "Lord Rad" come from - I've clearly missed something here [/font=Comic Sans MS][/blue]

Rise, kahonen, no need to bow I fancied a name change (see here), but didnt want to change it too much to become unknown (and it makes old posts confusing when people have mentioned you by name).

As for the other WotC "stunts".... how long have you got? Just generally lately their marketing (lack of) has angered me....as you will see by my response in the "D&D 30 years" post.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  14:24:03  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Salute is well worth a visit for anyone even remotely interested in gaming of any sort. It's quite sad that it's become typecast as "for wargamers only". we should take full advantage of all of these events in UK - there aren't exactly a lot of them

...then I hope youll be attending this years GENCON UK? Lets see what effort WotC make for this year.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2004 :  15:33:34  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

quote:

...then I hope youll be attending this years GENCON UK? Lets see what effort WotC make for this year.

I'd dearly love to but I'll be attending a conference in Canada at the time - it's a little far to pop back for the weekend

Still, almost some light at the end of the tunnel - I'm due to finish my MSc next Summer (I'm just starting the project) and then I should get my life back.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000