Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Drow in Zhentil Keep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2019 :  19:53:22  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Would the Drow ever go to Zhentil Keep for any reason? To trade in magic, to buy slaves, as exiles...any reason?

I'm trying to think of why a Drow (or more than one) would be encountered in the streets of Zhentil Keep late at night.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2019 :  03:31:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page 40 of the Ruins of Zhentil Keep Campaign Book:

quote:
The Drow: The dark elves of the Underdark, some even from Menzoberranzan itself, have been using subterranean passages near Shadowdale to come to the surface and trade quietly with the Zhentarim for nearly a century. The two major accesses to the surface for the drow are in the dungeons of the Tower of Ashaba and beneath Shadowdale's Old Skull Inn via a subterranean lake. Through both of these passages the Black Network has been trading weapons, slaves, and any other surface items that interest the dark elves. The drow should be considered primarily to be business partners, rather than military allies - though there is no proof that they would not aid the Zhentarim leaders should they ask (or if drow and Zhentarim needs coincide).

In the Year of the Worm (1356 DR), the Knights of Myth Drannor closed the underground passage at the Tower of Ashaba and killed many drow traders. Five years later, the drow agreed to once again open up relations with the Black Network. (Few other surface dwellers in the Heartlands region trade human slaves with them.) The drow have discovered another passage to the surface, this one closer to Zhentil Keep. However, this entry to the Underdark is located in the eastern Dragonspine Mountains, on the edge of Thar. Zhentarim caravans laden with slaves headed for this cave passage are usually accompanied by a large contingent of Zhentilar troops to protect against the goblinkin of Thar, as well as the untrusting (and sometimes untrustworthy) drow.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Dec 2019 03:32:15
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2019 :  04:36:38  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zhentil Keep would be a good place to acquire information for a price. The Drow have to make connections with surface dwellers to spread out their network of intelligence beyond the Underdark.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2019 :  14:10:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the answer is yes. In the context of Wooly's quote, I see drow trade delegates seeking an audience with the Lord of Zhentil Keep to hammer out trade agreements and other such affairs.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2019 :  14:32:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can also see the occasional lone drow male working with or even joining the Zhents.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2019 :  15:33:37  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would just say that trade through Shadowdale should have been a nonsense for centuries it is occupied by humans (goody gooders there). And since it is almost the same time as Zhentarim exist there would be no trade there. On the other hand the northern passage near Thar make all sense and I am also using this location as a neutral trading place - undeground is manned by drow and ground levels are manned by Zhentarim. They do not trust each other but make profit from cooperation and trade. It is also the reason Zhents raided Phlan several times - they do not want somebody to get hold on this trade.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2019 :  17:50:29  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Would the Drow ever go to Zhentil Keep for any reason? To trade in magic, to buy slaves, as exiles...any reason?

The Drow would "ever" and "for any reason" go anywhere, likely including the Plane of Radiance.
But often and openly in the Keep itself? Not likely at all.

Especially not the Underdark ones. Trade is good, but best conducted somewhere they won't have to haul their photophobic behinds far out of a cave. And remember, Zhents are all about caravans.
Thus, meeting with surface partners in cave exits away from populated places. On the Moonsea, a hidden port somewhere near Sulasspryn is also possible.

Drow walking undisguised on surface are very rare, outside two factions. One of which cannot be friendly to the Zhents.
The assassins from Dark Dagger - maybe, but rarely and unlikely to show themselves much. Zhents got their own assassins, too.
Vhaerunites in general - maybe occasionally, but were there any signs of their activity in the area?
I vaguely remember some mention of Red Plumes bothering the drow, however. So this may be a common cause, if it's worthwhile (some reason to not simply avoid Hillsfar's territory for a while).

Now, in Darkhold - sure. Before, during and (probably) after Sememmon was running the place. There's that great tunnel to Sshamath, too good to not use.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 01 Dec 2019 17:53:07
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2019 :  19:27:17  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I guess if Drow are indeed encountered late at night on the streets of Zhentil Keep, it would have to be an unusual delegation or perhaps a lone individual.

I was thinking perhaps an assassin (or group) sent to settle a score with someone who had crossed them.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2019 :  20:36:14  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

So I guess if Drow are indeed encountered late at night on the streets of Zhentil Keep, it would have to be an unusual delegation or perhaps a lone individual.

I was thinking perhaps an assassin (or group) sent to settle a score with someone who had crossed them.

As I am thinking about your question I think almost all encounters late at night in Zhentil Keep would be unusual and not a casual stroll. It is still a human city so most of them operates during day as it is much simpler and any late night "deliveries" are special orders at least. Anybody who encounter them is either another special delivery or enemy (guard).
Can it be a drow assasin or even member of small drow gang who operate here - yes.
Can it be a drow delegation that travel during night - yes.
It all depends on what you need in your game...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000