Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fauna of Nimbral
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2019 :  14:22:45  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there any lorebooks or other references that describe the fauna of Nimbral?
Thanks!

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2019 :  14:26:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
have you looked at Ed's articles on wizard's website. He did about 10 articles on Nimbral
This is the first one
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20040811a
and you can find more here
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

PERSONALLY, I've always pictured Nimbral to be very "soft" and "fey" oriented internally. By that I mean that I don't expect to find trolls and orcs and goblins. I however would not be surprised to find variations of creatures that use illusion to fool people. Lamia for instance are normally portrayed in more "Arabic"/"Egyptian" type settings, but I wouldn't be surprised to find lamia that have say a deer bottom (because they weren't all lion bottomed in the earlier editions of d&D… the 1st edition didn't clarify their bottoms, and second edition said "Their upper torsos, arms, and heads resemble those of beautiful human women, while their lower bodies are those of beasts, such as goats, deer, or lions, with the appropriate coloration. This hybrid configuration makes lamias very fast and powerful."). Similarly, I could see beasts like foxwomen. I'd probably stay away from things like leprechauns and unicorns that fit the moonshaes more, but forest gnomes would fit. There's definitely pegasi, and I also wouldn't be surprised to find hybsil and centaurs. I'd imagine a decent amount of dire animals as well, but mostly of mammalian or bird origin (not insect, arachnid, reptile, etc.. so much). I also wouldn't be surprised to find beautiful plants that are dangerous.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 24 Nov 2019 14:53:47
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2019 :  09:21:20  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I've read the articles by Greenwood. It gives much info on social organization but does not talk of fauna very much, excepting the pegasi.

I like your idea of the fauna being secretive and clever. I can see this island populated by fauna that are deceptive, such as chameleons and other fauna that have excellent camouflage.

The front cover of the sourcebook "The Shining South" has an image of the Leirans leaving Halruaa to settle, eventually, in Nimbral. In that image there are wizards flying what appear to be winged lions. I suspect that these lions may be a part of the fauna there too. Though they may be kept as pets of the Nimbral Lords. I think that if the lions were introduced to general population of Nimbral fauna, they might become a VERY invasive species!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2019 :  14:09:32  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

Thank you. I've read the articles by Greenwood. It gives much info on social organization but does not talk of fauna very much, excepting the pegasi.

I like your idea of the fauna being secretive and clever. I can see this island populated by fauna that are deceptive, such as chameleons and other fauna that have excellent camouflage.

Well, it does mention that the Nimbrese worshipping Leira moved to the island because they were getting along with local elves better than with other Halruaans, rather than Leira created the place on her own because "lolz fooled you".

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2019 :  23:57:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

The front cover of the sourcebook "The Shining South" has an image of the Leirans leaving Halruaa to settle, eventually, in Nimbral. In that image there are wizards flying what appear to be winged lions. I suspect that these lions may be a part of the fauna there too. Though they may be kept as pets of the Nimbral Lords. I think that if the lions were introduced to general population of Nimbral fauna, they might become a VERY invasive species!

The cover on shining south came out before the Grand History of the Realms, and they simply reused stock imagery that they had in relation to Halruaa to show a skyship. So, that's to say "don't take that image in GHotR to heart". That being said, if we did want to do so (because, why not) then one would make certain notes about those winged lions. Those winged lions do NOT have feathered wings, but they do have leathery/bat type wings. That can limit just WHAT types of creatures those are meant to be. The first idea would be that they are manticores, but the drawing doesn't match the drawings we see for such creatures in that edition. The second idea would be that they're Dragonnes, which they match perfectly. To note, Dragonnes are noted as well in Maztica, which is "relatively" close by, where they are known as Hakuna, and dragonnes are also noted on the random encounter tables for both the Shaar and Halruaa in Shining South. So, short story, I'd say dragonnes are probably in Maztica as well (probably the Chultan peninsula as well).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000