Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Taverns active in 5e
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RonanGoodbarrel
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  21:51:23  Show Profile Send RonanGoodbarrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey everyone, I came across a post from 2009 that lists about 905 taverns across Faerun, but I noticed that many of them have been destroyed in the Spellplague. I was wondering if anyone knows of an updated version of this list that only contains all the active taverns as of 5th edition. Thanks in advance for any help in my quest!

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2019 :  01:51:11  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Easiest solution is to use them as is, regardless of the year.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2019 :  03:30:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Agreed. The current design directive seems to be "only provide lore if it's absolutely critical for the adventure we're pushing, and don't worry about how that lore fits in with anything else."

So this is very much an area that's pretty much wide open for you to do anything you want. My personal philosophy for this kind of thing is that if it's not explicitly ruled out in canon, then there's nothing saying you can't do it. I love those gray areas between what's canon and what isn't.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2019 :  15:26:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, just because a tavern may have been destroyed in the spellplague doesn't preclude it being rebuilt by its owners IF it was profitable and the city itself essentially didn't go away.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2020 :  19:59:55  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

That is interesting. When you says, "The current design directive seems to be "only provide lore if it's absolutely critical for the adventure we're pushing, and don't worry about how that lore fits in with anything else.", how did that come about? Was that a statement from WotC, or just something seen from a designer, or something else perhaps?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Agreed. The current design directive seems to be "only provide lore if it's absolutely critical for the adventure we're pushing, and don't worry about how that lore fits in with anything else."

So this is very much an area that's pretty much wide open for you to do anything you want. My personal philosophy for this kind of thing is that if it's not explicitly ruled out in canon, then there's nothing saying you can't do it. I love those gray areas between what's canon and what isn't.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  04:23:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

That is interesting. When you says, "The current design directive seems to be "only provide lore if it's absolutely critical for the adventure we're pushing, and don't worry about how that lore fits in with anything else.", how did that come about? Was that a statement from WotC, or just something seen from a designer, or something else perhaps?

I'm basing that on what WotC has been releasing. They've been releasing adventure books with some lore in them, and that's it. And there is a fair amount of that lore that is a rough fit at best; a lot of it doesn't even fit well enough to be considered a rough fit.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  06:54:31  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Interesting. I was just having a somewhat related conversation in another thread sort of touching on this.

What do you think led to WotC going about that, that way?

Best regards,

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

I'm basing that on what WotC has been releasing. They've been releasing adventure books with some lore in them, and that's it. And there is a fair amount of that lore that is a rough fit at best; a lot of it doesn't even fit well enough to be considered a rough fit.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  11:03:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part of it is, I think, mandates from Hasbro concerning the bottom line.

I think part of it is also that a number of the WotC designers don't understand the appeal of a setting where everything is consistent and has good continuity. Instead of seeing the Realms as a multicourse meal, where every dish is well-prepared, complements the other dishes, and follows an overall theme, they see it as a salad bar, where they can pick and choose the parts they like and ignore the rest.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  16:09:12  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perchance anyone has a link to that list? As I see it is really useful. And I can update it with those taverns mentioned in 4e sources.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  21:43:35  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I really like that analogy. I agree as well. Sadly, I think that ship sailed a long time ago and is on an irreversible course.

Best regards,

quote:

Part of it is, I think, mandates from Hasbro concerning the bottom line.

I think part of it is also that a number of the WotC designers don't understand the appeal of a setting where everything is consistent and has good continuity. Instead of seeing the Realms as a multicourse meal, where every dish is well-prepared, complements the other dishes, and follows an overall theme, they see it as a salad bar, where they can pick and choose the parts they like and ignore the rest.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000