Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 FR Name Generation
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mindseye
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2019 :  00:12:31  Show Profile Send Mindseye a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there such a thing as a Forgotten Realms name generator?
I've never really gotten a handle on any of the different regions naming conventions, so I find random generators useful for populating villages.

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2019 :  01:03:27  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mindseye

Is there such a thing as a Forgotten Realms name generator?
I've never really gotten a handle on any of the different regions naming conventions, so I find random generators useful for populating villages.

I find the trick is to look at a set of names and look for common vowel patterns and frequently used consonants or consonant pairs. Then assemble the names by mixing and matching.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

BadLuckBugbear
Seeker

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2019 :  01:56:50  Show Profile Send BadLuckBugbear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall that the 3E campaign setting hardback contained example names sorted by region/culture/race.

Ewan Cummins
Go to Top of Page

Mindseye
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2019 :  04:45:26  Show Profile Send Mindseye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool thanks. I'll have to pull mine out
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2019 :  15:37:11  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This might be of some help, http://www.candlekeep.com/library/treasures.htm .
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2019 :  22:39:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.dnd.kismetrose.com/ThayNameGenerator.html

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Mindseye
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2019 :  05:55:10  Show Profile Send Mindseye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Yes, Thank you both!
Go to Top of Page

no
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2019 :  23:28:36  Show Profile Send no a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xanathar's Guide to Everything has a plethora of name lists for all the playable races from the Player's Handbook, including 17 different real-world human cultures. I think the lists are in appendix B. Hope this helps!

...and that's why I'm banned from Mechanus.
Go to Top of Page

Mindseye
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2019 :  02:29:25  Show Profile Send Mindseye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew there was somewhere I was overlooking.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2019 :  16:39:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by no

Xanathar's Guide to Everything has a plethora of name lists for all the playable races from the Player's Handbook, including 17 different real-world human cultures. I think the lists are in appendix B. Hope this helps!

Oddly that turned me off... in a print book, I felt like that was something that they could have given a URL for and instead included more game info.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2019 :  17:21:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by no

Oddly that turned me off... in a print book, I felt like that was something that they could have given a URL for and instead included more game info.

Honestly, I have found lists of names handy in RPG material. I'll not argue against it being offered as a web supplement, though.

Sadly, the days of WotC giving us awesome free content are long gone.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000