Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Deep Gnome Cities
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  23:20:10  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Not sure about EE:THM, but SK is for Serpent Kingdoms, and the reference in that tome is on page 110.

EE:THM = Elminster's Ecologies: The High Moor?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  02:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now this is an Old thread, its been almost a year since i sent Alaundo that Excel Spread sheet

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  08:31:05  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thanks for the replies.

The way the city was referred to in the WotSQ V novel made me believe it was a drow city. (Why would a drow want to go to a city of mindflayers?)

Cheerio, Zanan!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  14:16:54  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zanan,

What is the page number (softcover or hardcover) for the references to Llacerellyn in WotSQ V?

Thanks,

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  21:17:26  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Zanan,

What is the page number (softcover or hardcover) for the references to Llacerellyn in WotSQ V?

Thanks,

--Eric

I am in the process of re-reading the book right now (to be right up to date with the story when No. VI arrives), but it is the German version. I'll try to specify the chapter and storyline once I am there, but it could well have been a problem of translation.

Zanan

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  08:23:22  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well ... having reached Chapter 8 now, I think my memory deceived me somewhat .

Danifae talks to her old House wizard and speaks about a ring which brought her and the Matron back from Llacerylln to Eryndlyn. If that is the mentioning of Llacerellyn that I had in mind, I have to confess that the book leaves it quite open what sort of city it is. So probably my bad ... and I am sorry for any confusion.

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Edited by - Zanan on 12 Apr 2005 08:24:10
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  19:36:52  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edit: sometimes Tymora even smiles on ... well, my memory didn't deceive me after all, the passage that I referred to was/is in Extinction though.

p.171 (paperback), Pharaun asks Danifae:
"So the question remains, if not Eryndlyn - and certainly not Ched Nasad - where would you like to go? Llacerellyn? Sschindylryn?"

The sequence of drow cities before and after Llacerellyn made me believe the latter is a drow city too.

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2007 :  18:00:27  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ultoksurllur (Under the Starspire Mountains) -- Hmm probably shield dwarves or deep gnomes / mentioned in Lands of Intrigue, but I'm not really remembering

Old thread, but for completeness in case of referencing:

Ultoksurllur
Catacombs under the present day city of Zazesspur were once part of the city Ultoksurllur inhabited by Clan Ghalmrin. The city served as the nominal capital of the Seastar Kingdom (Shanatar subkingdom of Sondarr). (as per DDUGttU)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2009 :  01:32:07  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arise! Mwuhahahha!! ARISE!!!!!

*Ahem*

While researching something else completely, I discovered another fallen deep gnome city. I figured I'd post it, both for completeness and because I think this is a great thread that newcomers should see. Anyway, it's Aventine, a deep gnome city somewhere in the vicinity of Dambrath. It was destroyed by a joint drow/Shebali army somewhere around 1050 DR. That's an estimate, since the attack was launched some time during the reign of Queen Melanith. No other information is given, aside from the fact that essentially all of the humans were killed by the gnomes, and there were very few drow/Crintri deaths.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2009 :  09:53:22  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I figured I'd post it, both for completeness and because I think this is a great thread that newcomers should see.

You're totally right !
Gnome power !!!! (even if we speak about svirfs)
In gnomine veritas !

quote:

Anyway, it's Aventine, a deep gnome city somewhere in the vicinity of Dambrath. It was destroyed by a joint drow/Shebali army somewhere around 1050 DR. That's an estimate, since the attack was launched some time during the reign of Queen Melanith. No other information is given, aside from the fact that essentially all of the humans were killed by the gnomes, and there were very few drow/Crintri deaths.

If I remember well () :
An alliance of the human nation of Dambrath and the drow city T'lindhet destroyed this city of the deep gnomes during the reign of Melanith, queen of Dambrath and high priestess of Loviatar

N.B. : I believe we now only call them crinties and no more crintries. They were just called crintries in the Dragon Annual #4 and the 1st Shinig South sourcebook.
Since these books, the 2nd Shining South sourcebook, the Councelors and Kings trilogy and the very short History of the crinties (Thank you so very much Elaine ), and the others call them crinties

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2009 :  14:00:58  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's good to hear. Actually, I had always thought it was (and pronounced it to myself) "crinti," and I was both surprised and somewhat ashamed to discover that the book called them "crintri" and, by extension, that I'd been mis-pronouncing it all these years. I'm glad to hear that I wasn't dreaming that the second "r" got dropped at some point, since I think "crinti" sounds better than "crintri."

However, crinti is both singular and plural. So no crintis or, worse, crinties.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2009 :  17:30:27  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

However, crinti is both singular and plural. So no crintis or, worse, crinties.

Oops... Shame on me !
I played a crinti murderer for few months. How could I be mistaken? Shame on me !!

Thanks Hoondatha.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2009 :  17:45:50  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's ok. 3e seemed to have an obsession with sticking s's onto everything, even when they were flat-out wrong. "Phaerimms" and "sharns" are the two most annoying for me, but there are plenty of others.

Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  05:18:09  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
also to add to the Deep Gnome cities (i am quite surprised this was missed by all of the great sages here)

the NAME of the deep gnome city listed in post numero uno as 'under damara/bloodstone' on this thread is Corundruby

i'll post the canon source when i find it

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2009 :  05:25:32  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Demihuman Dieties page 145 lists Corundruby as well as others listed in this thread

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2012 :  17:30:27  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<casts raise dead scroll>
Ahem... I tried to look for the updated/compiled list as discussed in this thread in Alaundo's Library, but I could not locate it... can someone point me to the right shelf?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2012 :  02:12:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

<casts raise dead scroll>
Ahem... I tried to look for the updated/compiled list as discussed in this thread in Alaundo's Library, but I could not locate it... can someone point me to the right shelf?

Now that I'm cogitating on this, I don't believe Alaundo ever uploaded it to the site.

As it is, the compilation should be among the section on "Various Unofficial Lore," of the TRAVELER's NOTEBOOKS sub-section. But it's nowhere to be found. Curious.

I'll notify Alaundo and try to determine where the article ended up, Mumadar.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2012 :  23:11:19  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
for anyone else looking for it: the scroll
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  01:00:54  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it'd be neat if a matching locale could be placed on that scroll along with the places updated in this thread since then

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  01:39:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

I don't know how I missed that one.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  02:26:54  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

N.B. : I believe we now only call them crinties and no more crintries. They were just called crintries in the Dragon Annual #4 and the 1st Shinig South sourcebook.
Since these books, the 2nd Shining South sourcebook, the Councelors and Kings trilogy and the very short History of the crinties (Thank you so very much Elaine ), and the others call them crinties

What is this? Did Elaine write this? Where can I find it?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  02:34:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fellfire, see here:- http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/crinti.htm

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  05:06:20  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How delightful. As dejected as I was to hear of TSD's delay, this improves my spirits, if only for a short time. Many thanks, Procrastinator Most High. I am amazed by how much this site has to offer. Even after being here for a time, I can be unaware of gems like this.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  06:33:03  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I don't know how I missed that one.

i feel useful!
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2012 :  19:46:35  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Thanks for pointing me to the correct scroll xaeyruudh
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  15:07:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Glanderultok (under the Mountains South of the Turnback mountain range) --- still blanking, might be shield dwarves, look at Demihuman Deities, Major Centers of Worship for Abbathor

Morndivver (under the Starspire mountains) -- Shield Dwarves, mentioned in Lands of Intrigue

Nar'Vheen (Near Calaunt) -- Drow (I think) city detailed in LC RPGA play

The Great Worm Cavern (NW of Menzo) -- (Former) home of totem beast of one of the Uthgardt tribes, mentioned in FR5 - The Savage Frontier, The North, and FRCS.

Ullin'Tharnor (under the Great Glacier) -- Drow (I think) ... not sure why I put this one in there ... there was probably a reason, but I think it's on the list of drow city names in FOR2 - Drow of the Underdark

Ultoksurllur (Under the Starspire Mountains) -- Hmm probably shield dwarves or deep gnomes / mentioned in Lands of Intrigue, but I'm not really remembering

Also, not on the maps, is the drow city of Kiaransalee worshipers found under the Galenas and discussed in Demihuman Deities, in the write-up of Kiaransalee

--Eric

Finally found something on Glanderultok (cross-posted from my scroll):

I found an old file that indicates Glanderultok is a duergar city where they worship Laduguer. No reference as to why I thought it needed to be referenced. The art order for the map (referencing 2e maps of Faerun of the day) calls for "Place “Glanderultok” deep beneath the mountain valley due north of the northern end of the Border Forest."

If I had to guess, I would say there's probably a reference in one of Ed's old Everwinking Eye columns in Polyhedron to duergar and this was my attempt to create a city they could come from. That's all I can find though. I wasn't as good about referencing everything with a comment in my write-ups way back then.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2012 :  07:42:22  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Glanderultok (under the Mountains South of the Turnback mountain range) --- still blanking, might be shield dwarves, look at Demihuman Deities, Major Centers of Worship for Abbathor

Morndivver (under the Starspire mountains) -- Shield Dwarves, mentioned in Lands of Intrigue

Nar'Vheen (Near Calaunt) -- Drow (I think) city detailed in LC RPGA play

The Great Worm Cavern (NW of Menzo) -- (Former) home of totem beast of one of the Uthgardt tribes, mentioned in FR5 - The Savage Frontier, The North, and FRCS.

Ullin'Tharnor (under the Great Glacier) -- Drow (I think) ... not sure why I put this one in there ... there was probably a reason, but I think it's on the list of drow city names in FOR2 - Drow of the Underdark

Also, not on the maps, is the drow city of Kiaransalee worshipers found under the Galenas and discussed in Demihuman Deities, in the write-up of Kiaransalee

--Eric

Finally found something on Glanderultok (cross-posted from my scroll):

I found an old file that indicates Glanderultok is a duergar city where they worship Laduguer. No reference as to why I thought it needed to be referenced. The art order for the map (referencing 2e maps of Faerun of the day) calls for "Place “Glanderultok” deep beneath the mountain valley due north of the northern end of the Border Forest."

If I had to guess, I would say there's probably a reference in one of Ed's old Everwinking Eye columns in Polyhedron to duergar and this was my attempt to create a city they could come from. That's all I can find though. I wasn't as good about referencing everything with a comment in my write-ups way back then.

i'll butcher the spelling but the kiaransalee city under the galenas was something close to V'eldrinnsshaar

it was described in detail in the Lady Penitent trilogy

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2015 :  20:08:21  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Not sure about EE:THM, but SK is for Serpent Kingdoms, and the reference in that tome is on page 110.

EE:THM = Elminster's Ecologies: The High Moor?

I could't find any mention of Llacerellyn in Elminster's Ecologies :'-(

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 19 May 2015 10:38:22
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2015 :  00:42:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have Eric's notes from when he was writing DDGttU. I'll check tonight and see if I can find where the reference to "Llacerellyn" come from.

Checking back through the thread, it appears that it is mentioned in the novel "Extinction", but I know that there is a gaming product reference out there somewhere.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 19 May 2015 00:54:14
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2015 :  10:36:15  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it can help narrow down your search I've already found the mentions in Serpent Kingdoms and War of the Spider Queen already noted in this thread.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000