Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Deep Gnome Cities
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  07:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

The Great Worm Cavern (NW of Menzo)

Home of the Great Worm Uthgardt; the location of their ancestor mound.

Savage Frontier page 12, 24, & 54.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  08:14:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

These four are from FR11 Dwarves Deep. They are the surviving clans of Oghrann in the Far Hills.

I've also managed to find one of Ed's references to a gnome kingdom (could have been deep gnomes also ..). It was called Oelerhode and was centred on present-day Owlhold in the Border Kingdoms. It was destroyed by orcs and existed "thousand of years ago". See Polyhedron#146.

-- George Krashos

Confound it George, you beat me to it .

My first 'Border Kingdoms' reference, and I couldn't even make it .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Apr 2004 10:52:33
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  10:34:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you got the parcel. Good-o.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  10:55:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George, I don't recall anything about the possibility of deep gnomes within Oelerhode. Did I miss something?.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  11:16:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, you didn't but I'm thinking (and usually that's dangerous) that where the gnomes have established a decent sized underground settlement, that deep gnomes link up for security/trade reasons. Basically, I think that deep gnomes are the proverbial fifth wheel. Gnomes are mostly underground dwellers - what's the need for "deep" versions? It's like having Deep Dwarves (which I suppose we have considering the urdunnir). So basically what I'm saying is that any sizable gnome settlement that is underground should have a deep gnome component or links with deep gnomes. But hey, that's my crackpot idea.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  11:37:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's that much of a crackpot idea, a little "out there" maybe . It's a rather logical assumption actually.

Although, the fact that most deep gnomes would rather associate with forest gnomes over rock gnomes may limit the number of deep gnome communities that have links with the other communities of their kin. Races of Faerun states that, while deep gnomes - being as suspicious as they are - will usually shun outsider races, they will choose to interact with their forest gnome kin first, then with their rock gnomes cousins second.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  11:48:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like I should have checked the extensive gnome section in Races of Faerun before posting my crackpot idea. The only thing that strikes me as odd is why svirfnebli would prefer their forest brethren over their rocky brethren ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  13:14:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know, it doesn't make much sense. The deep gnomes share many traits with their rock gnome cousins. And, considering the fact that rock gnomes predominantly exist in underground communities, you'd think that the svirfnebli would look to them first, seeing the more culturally different, surface-dwelling forest gnomes as the outsiders.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  14:24:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Iritaskar (under the Sunset Mountains near Sshamath)

Sabrishon (Near Sshamath)

Therlarns fist (Near Sshamath)

Uestingpool (Near Sshamath)

These four are from FR11 Dwarves Deep. They are the surviving clans of Oghrann in the Far Hills.

I've also managed to find one of Ed's references to a gnome kingdom (could have been deep gnomes also ..). It was called Oelerhode and was centred on present-day Owlhold in the Border Kingdoms. It was destroyed by orcs and existed "thousand of years ago". See Polyhedron#146.

-- George Krashos

Thanks George

That leaves

Glanderultok

Morndivver

Nar'Vheen

Ullin'Tharnor

Ultoksurllur

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 28 Apr 2004 14:25:05
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  15:07:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glanderultok (under the Mountains South of the Turnback mountain range) --- still blanking, might be shield dwarves, look at Demihuman Deities, Major Centers of Worship for Abbathor

Morndivver (under the Starspire mountains) -- Shield Dwarves, mentioned in Lands of Intrigue

Nar'Vheen (Near Calaunt) -- Drow (I think) city detailed in LC RPGA play

The Great Worm Cavern (NW of Menzo) -- (Former) home of totem beast of one of the Uthgardt tribes, mentioned in FR5 - The Savage Frontier, The North, and FRCS.

Ullin'Tharnor (under the Great Glacier) -- Drow (I think) ... not sure why I put this one in there ... there was probably a reason, but I think it's on the list of drow city names in FOR2 - Drow of the Underdark

Ultoksurllur (Under the Starspire Mountains) -- Hmm probably shield dwarves or deep gnomes / mentioned in Lands of Intrigue, but I'm not really remembering

Also, not on the maps, is the drow city of Kiaransalee worshipers found under the Galenas and discussed in Demihuman Deities, in the write-up of Kiaransalee

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  01:46:03  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eric

That fills in the last of the list

Im tempted to Scan the map in Underdark and try put the DGTU sites on it

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  14:21:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found another Deep Gnome city Mycaern which is apparently under the Moonshae isles.

Anyone have any info on this city? (it may have appeared in the Druidhome series of Novels, which I done have access to)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  15:21:22  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beneath the Galena Mountains is a cavern known as the Vault of Gnashing Teeth. In the center of a lake in the Vault is the drow city of V'elddrinnsshar, inhabited by Kiaransalee worshippers.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred

Edited by - Brother Ezra on 30 Apr 2004 15:21:52
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  15:57:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the 2e Moonshae tome would have something on this deep gnome city Dargoth, but I couldn't find any references to Mycaern in it.

Maybe George or Faraer can help...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  16:04:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, has anyone collated all this stuff into one list?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  16:18:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Alaundo may have mentioned something. Although I can't remember where...

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  17:52:49  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot all about that deep gnome city under the Moonshaes.

All information about the Underdark of the Moonshaes can be found in the novel "Black Wizards" (due to be re-released this year, I believe) and in the Forgotten Realms Atlas by Karen Lynn Fonstad.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  18:19:27  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I think Alaundo may have mentioned something. Although I can't remember where...

Well met

Hmmmm, not about these deep gnomes cities, Sage. Although I have been collating a personal list whilst reading this scroll anyway so indeed will include it in the next update Thank ye for the nudge

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 30 Apr 2004 18:19:55
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  01:26:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So, has anyone collated all this stuff into one list?

I have it all on an excel spread sheet

Im thinking of doing a map that combines the cities on the Drizzts guide to the Underdark map and the new 3ed Underdark source book (See my thread in General chat forum)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 01 May 2004 02:20:56
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  12:17:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dargoth, will you be making this information (the Excel listing) available to Candlekeep at all?.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  12:36:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dargoth, will you be making this information (the Excel listing) available to Candlekeep at all?.

yeah I sent it to Alaundo around 10 minutes ago. (I was going to send it in with Underdark map)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  12:39:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent . Hopefully Alaundo will include the file in the next Candlekeep update.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  12:50:57  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Excellent . Hopefully Alaundo will include the file in the next Candlekeep update.

Thats what he said

(And now back to T1, Arnies about to visit the Police station, Ill be Back :-)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  10:00:56  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Indeed, indeed, Sage. Yet another valuable scroll of Realmslore to add to the list

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2004 :  23:37:58  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not no if this counts since it is a game. But characters mentioned some hidden gnome city in the deepes areas of Icewindale. More of a refugee camp from some tyrant.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2004 :  14:22:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found Zanhoriloch - Rand's Travelogue on the WotC FR website: Underdark and the Vast. It's a dwarven city.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Baalster
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2004 :  20:28:34  Show Profile  Visit Baalster's Homepage Send Baalster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Glanderultok (under the Mountains South of the Turnback mountain range) --- still blanking, might be shield dwarves, look at Demihuman Deities, Major Centers of Worship for Abbathor

The mountains are called White Peaks. In addition to the Glanderultok, it also contains Folharn, a gnome city detailed in Demihuman Deities under Flandal.

Any further details on Glanderultok (and Folharn for that matter) would be highly appreciated.

And kudos to all here for the splendid work you are doing here at the library. A true treasure chest for us who seek knowledge.

Baalster

The North is indeed as they say in the Vilhon Reach - a land of "hard, brutal men in leather and furs who swing overhasty swords."
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  15:58:24  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does anyone know of any Deep Gnome cities?, other than Blingdenstone (destroyed by the Drow)

I`m not sure that blidgenstone could technically be called destroyed. The svirfneblin in the city fled before the drow even came close.
Edit. Damn, I didn`t notice that there were other pages on this topic. Just ignore what I said.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy

Edited by - khorne on 10 Apr 2005 16:00:35
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  20:41:01  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vendui!

Forgive me my lack of knowledge, but what does ...

ericlboyd
Llacerellyn .... illithids ... EE:THM / SK

... the bolded letters stand for?

As for drow cities, there is indeed a list in The Drow of the Underdark, which is expanded in Underdark:

Abaethaggar, Abburth, Baereghel, Charrvhel'raugaust, Chaulssin (100 miles west of Citadel Adbar), Ched Nasad (High Gap, Graypeak Mountains), Cheth Rrhinn, Dusklyngh (200 miles north of the Frozen Forest & 100 miles east of Anauroch), Eryndlyn (120 miles east of Illefarn), Faneadar, Guallidurth (70 miles WNW of Calimport), Haundrauth, Ithilaughym, Jhachalklyn, Karsoluthiyl (200 miles west of Baldur's Gate), Llurth Dreier (140 miles west of the northern tip of the Great Rift, Shaar), Luihaulen'tar, Maeralyn (20 miles west of Tharsult), Maerimydra (100 miles west of Zhentil Keep, beneath Daggerdale), Menzoberranzan (100 miles west of Silverymoon), Orlytlar, Sschindylryn (220 miles north of Elversult), Sshamath (200 miles east of Scornubel), Sshanntynlan, Szithlin, Tlethtyrr, T'lindeth (Dambrath), Tyrybblyn, Uluitur, Undraeth, Undrek'Thoz (beneath Thay), V'elddrinnsshar (West Galena Mountains), Waerglarn, Waethe Hlammachar, Yuethindrynn
(sources mentioned above)

Hope that helps too.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 10 Apr 2005 20:47:11
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  22:37:16  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Vendui!

Forgive me my lack of knowledge, but what does ...

ericlboyd
Llacerellyn .... illithids ... EE:THM / SK

... the bolded letters stand for?

Not sure about EE:THM, but SK is for Serpent Kingdoms, and the reference in that tome is on page 110.

Also not sure if it has been mentioned.
Ss'zuraass'nee, The City of Abominations, lies in the depths of the northern Serpent Hills, about 1/2 mile below the lizardolk kingdom of Kalran.

So looks like we have a Lizardfolk and an Yuan-ti city, near an Illithid city. All mentions in SK on page 110.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document

Edited by - warlockco on 10 Apr 2005 22:39:59
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page