Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Land of Fate Timeline
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  01:20:14  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How do major events in Zakhara line up with Realms history? I am assuming Zakhara was a part of the Merrouroboros in the earliest days, but did it really just start to gain an identity of its own just after the first Sundering? When did genies, Fate and all the other unique concepts of these southern lands really become so different?

Is there a fan made, GHotR approved timeline anywhere?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  02:17:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, one of the things we've pondered in the past is whether there have been multiple transfers between Abeir and Toril, and the "elementally focused" lands of fate would make a lot of sense as a place from Abeir that came to Toril, but was then later inhabited by colonists from Toril moving into the area.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  02:19:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Al Quadim was an unfortunate "bolt on" that should never have been added to the Realms. Given the existence of Calimshan, Durpar and other lands of that region of the Utter East, it wasn't required.

I do recall that somewhere on the Net there used to be a timeline of all of the campaign settings meshed into one - "Temporal Chronology" was part of its name, or something like that. Someone will be along to fill you in on the details.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  02:30:44  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Al Quadim was an unfortunate "bolt on" that should never have been added to the Realms. Given the existence of Calimshan, Durpar and other lands of that region of the Utter East, it wasn't required.

I do recall that somewhere on the Net there used to be a timeline of all of the campaign settings meshed into one - "Temporal Chronology" was part of its name, or something like that. Someone will be along to fill you in on the details.

-- George Krashos

I agree, that seems to have been done somewhat often and now the same mistakes are being made with material that was based in other worlds like Oerth or even Mystara. "Bolting" really wreaks havoc with consistent timelines.

But you work with what you got - I'd love to understand how Zakhara could fit into the history books and I'm excited that somewhere out there someone might have published the metastory.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  03:23:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

It was called A Temporal Chronology of the Primes, and it appears that it is no longer around.

It was compiled by some dude whose initials were BRJ. I wonder if he ever did anything else...?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  13:45:40  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

-- George Krashos

It was called A Temporal Chronology of the Primes, and it appears that it is no longer around.

It was compiled by some dude whose initials were BRJ. I wonder if he ever did anything else...?

Is my soul too small a price for a colossal GHotR update :-p

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  23:01:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder just how popular a colossal GHotR update would be. Everyone is into adventures and more crunch seemingly these days. Pure lore appeals to only a small subset of fans.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  23:25:12  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wonder just how popular a colossal GHotR update would be. Everyone is into adventures and more crunch seemingly these days. Pure lore appeals to only a small subset of fans.

-- George Krashos

Is that impression from what is being produced on DmsGuild, or other observations? I'm not disagreeing, I am only curious because it's kind of upsetting if true. Toril is a wonderful world while living and breathing, another blood mage hunter devil killer ranger archetype is just so...ughhhhhhhhh.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 17 Sep 2019 23:25:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  02:36:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, personally, think there is more demand for pure lore than WotC realizes -- but, as with so much else, they're not interested in taking any chances at all, and will only go for stuff with a broader appeal.

And as much as I hate this state of affairs, I can understand and to a certain extent condone their logic: it's good business sense. It's not good business sense to leave money on the table, but it is good business sense to go where you know the money is.

All that said, I have absolutely nothing to back this up, aside from the fact that for 20ish years, there was a proven demand for lore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  05:50:55  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I, personally, think there is more demand for pure lore than WotC realizes -- but, as with so much else, they're not interested in taking any chances at all, and will only go for stuff with a broader appeal.

And as much as I hate this state of affairs, I can understand and to a certain extent condone their logic: it's good business sense. It's not good business sense to leave money on the table, but it is good business sense to go where you know the money is.

All that said, I have absolutely nothing to back this up, aside from the fact that for 20ish years, there was a proven demand for lore.

Sales figures for lore-heavy Community Creator projects on DMsGuild could be used as a source of analysis for market demand.

I'm planning two big FR-based lore-heavy books myself (at least one of them will be done by year's end or I'll die trying), and I vaguely remember somebody was working on an Al-Qadim book, but that might have fallen into development Abyss for all I know.

The FR novel authors have also expressed interest in DMsGuild, though the real litmus test may be in seeing how well lesser known writers do with their releases on the market site.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

Green Giant
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2019 :  18:07:32  Show Profile Send Green Giant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I checked my drive and apparently, I made a copy of the 6th edition of the Chronology. Just a simple copy and paste to an old word document.

There doesn't seem to be any mentions of Zakhara until the modern age. And that's only in regards to its discovery and establishment of trade routes.

Spelljammer.org has a Spelljammer Timeline with one mention of Zakhara.

[FR/AQ] *Grand Caliph Anwar ascends the throne and starts sponsoring the exploration of faraway lands, even those beyond Toril (spelljamming). (1176 DR)
{City of Delights: Gem of Zakhara, p14}

Edited by - Green Giant on 22 Sep 2019 18:17:46
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2019 :  18:56:21  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I honestly believe we will be getting somekind of update to either or both Zakhara and Kara Tur, because WotC has hired cultural experts/consultants for a product or products in 2020.

This is likely in response to accusations that none European/white inspired cultures were not as fleshed out as their "white" counterparts, with Chult in Tomb of Annilihation being used as an example of not fleshed out culturally enough.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2019 :  20:02:39  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I honestly believe we will be getting somekind of update to either or both Zakhara and Kara Tur, because WotC has hired cultural experts/consultants for a product or products in 2020.

This is likely in response to accusations that none European/white inspired cultures were not as fleshed out as their "white" counterparts, with Chult in Tomb of Annilihation being used as an example of not fleshed out culturally enough.

This is exciting news that I didn’t know about. I mean, not the accusation stuff, just the fact that some of my beloved subsettings might get some love.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2019 :  21:34:15  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why it wasn't required "given the existence of"?
Just wasn't required. Why would it be required?

IMO, it's not that specifically Zakhara does not fit for some reason.
It's that the way these late additions are "bolted on" simply doesn't make sense. There's no point to glue anything to an existing setting in the first place if they don't really interact, and mostly they don't. So the only effect is that things added "from outside" make geography more and more bizarre.

quote:

How is this applicable?
- You say it yourself: there's demand, which they ignore.
- ...while they asked for what, "hurr, more randomly generated stat blocks monsters"?
- Dumping all these extra sub-settings into someone's backyard predictably dooms said sub-settings to rust in said backyard (Red Steel was the only exception AFAIK):
1. Making them fit takes developers from both sides, and is more work than it's worth.
2. Brand piggybacking sham is self-defeating (Red Steel was not an exception here, since it had its own logo): most fans who look for a logo know what they want, and usually that's more of what already was in there.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2019 :  21:39:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?t=17258

http://www.spelljammer.org/essays/history/pw_timeline.html

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 22 Sep 2019 21:40:58
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000