Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pursuit of Knowledge (application development)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  08:37:24  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:

Greetings, seekers. Let's cut to the chase.
I am personally funding development
of a program that automatically creates
Anki cards out of the boxes found
on the right hand side of the
forgotten realms Wikia page.
I have a dream, though. Should I
take it all the way? Should I pursue
full development of this program into
something that possibly does not
rely on Anki and has a
sophisticated UI, which anyone
could use to learn and/or
memorize knowledge of the
Realms? And should I
make a Kickstarter?

More importantly, are you interested?

Choices:

Yes
No
GTFO and don''''''''t come back
Have my baby
Yes, and I am willing to invest in a kickstarter
yes, and I am not willing to invest in a kickstarter
yes, but i''''''''ll have no part in the development
yes, and I personally would like to contribute code and funds to the kickstarter and project
yes, and i''''''''d like to write some code
no, no, no, and no, kindly leave
Where''''''''s your gift and tome of lit-ass knowledge?
Direct/personal message me, the voter.

(Anonymous Vote)

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.

Edited by - Shawn Daniels on 15 Sep 2019 08:41:37

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  13:06:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pardon my ignorance, but what's an Anki card?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  18:10:13  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Pardon my ignorance, but what's an Anki card?

-- George Krashos

Here you are, good sir: https://apps.ankiweb.net/

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

jamesewelch
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  18:21:07  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To summarize, Anki are flashcards to help study/memorize things. There's digital versions for your phone and physical cards that can be printed.
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  18:36:33  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamesewelch

To summarize, Anki are flashcards to help study/memorize things. There's digital versions for your phone and physical cards that can be printed.

Correct

Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  18:37:07  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am making cards out of ALL the information, not just the box. The program is just to automate the process of making cards for the box. And I'm not asking if you're interested in that necessarily, but if you're interested in a full-fledged application and app, made available for free or very cheap, which you could use to interact with, learn, explore, and memorize this knowledge.

Go to Top of Page

jamesewelch
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  18:51:21  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You also need to realize that you may not be able to officially publish this app on Google Play or Apple App Store. The WotC fan license doesn't cover apps. Even if it's been 'reworded' like the wiki does, it still might get flagged and removed. General OGL content is fine on the App Stores, but FR specific material is an entirely different thing.
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  20:05:17  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You also need to realize that you may not be able to officially publish this app on Google Play or Apple App Store. The WotC fan license doesn't cover apps. Even if it's been 'reworded' like the wiki does, it still might get flagged and removed. General OGL content is fine on the App Stores, but FR specific material is an entirely different thing.

Is there a way to acquire legal permissions and give all/some of the profit to Wizards of the Coast/TSR/whomever?

Go to Top of Page

jamesewelch
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  20:23:55  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. You need to contact their lawyers.
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  21:42:30  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gotcha. But in the meantime, it's cool to work on it as long as it's not published, right?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  02:16:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Daniels

quote:

Gotcha. But in the meantime, it's cool to work on it as long as it's not published, right?

No one can stop you from doing something like that, so long as it doesn't go live anywhere. The moment it does, that's when legal considerations come into play.

If it were me, I'd get the legal considerations taken care of first and foremost -- it'd be a waste of time if you put a lot of work into it and then WotC shot it down immediately.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  03:01:48  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Daniels

quote:

No one can stop you from doing something like that, so long as it doesn't go live anywhere. The moment it does, that's when legal considerations come into play.

If it were me, I'd get the legal considerations taken care of first and foremost -- it'd be a waste of time if you put a lot of work into it and then WotC shot it down immediately.

Yay! Check this out! https://company.wizards.com/fancontentpolicy

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000