Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Hillsfar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  05:54:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, simple question: when do people think Maalthiir overthrew the incumbent council and took over Hillsfar?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  09:18:07  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first time? I would say sometime in the early 1350s; the Wiki says 1356 but I think that's too late. When you go to Hillsfar in the video game after Pool of Radiance (the novel is 1340s era) he's already firmly in power. So after 1344 (the elven retreat) and before 1356...let's go with 1350ish?

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  11:46:24  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (1e): Cyclopedia of the Realms, page 51, states "The Council was overthrown last winter, and the city is now governed by Maalthiir." Since that box is presumed to start at the beginning of 1358 DR, that would suggest early 1357 DR or late 1356 DR.

Also of note are the entries for Borustine and Gunthor.

Mysteries of the Moonsea goes with a slightly later date. MoM, page 5, dates that book as the latter half of 1373 DR. MoM, page 47, dates the overthrow to 15 years earlier, so 1373 - 15 = 1358 DR.

I'd assume that MoM is a rounding error and that the coup started in the waning days of 1356 DR and was complete a few days into 1357 DR.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  15:18:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dammit, I was going to do a pdf search of all sources and get an answer of sorts by tomorrow. Looks like Eric beat me to it.

Of course the overthrow of an entire city could just as likely be a prolonged affair as it could happen in a week or less, depends upon how lucky and prepared maalthiir was

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  17:26:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've had a chat with Eric and after dealing with an outlier 1354 DR reference, have agreed that Maalthiir took over Hillsfar in the winter that spanned 1356-1357 DR.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  18:36:32  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From my conversation with George, he pointed out that the Moonsea, (2e), page 5, set in 1367 DR, says "10 years ago".

He also pointed out that the FR Campaign Setting (2e), page 66, set in 1367 DR, says "10 winters back".

He also pointed out that Grand History of the Realms, page 140, says:

1354 DR: "Maalthiir becomes the ruler of Hillsfar."

And page 141 says:

1357 DR: Maalthiir overthrows the Council of Hillsfar and assumes control of the city.

The best way to reconcile all this (I think) is to say:

1354 DR: Maalthiir is elected leader of the Council of Hillsfar.
Nightal, 1356 DR: Maalthiir begins his coup against the Council of Hillsfar.
Hammer, 1357 DR: Maalthiir compltes his coup against the Council of Hillsfar.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  18:53:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could even have a brief uprising in 1358 where he disappears to account for the other odd references that he let's happen so he can identify those working against him, then he appears and kills them all in one go

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  21:31:20  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread gives me feels. I love the 1350s and OGB era.
Go to Top of Page

BadLuckBugbear
Seeker

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2019 :  01:52:17  Show Profile Send BadLuckBugbear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

From my conversation with George, he pointed out that the Moonsea, (2e), page 5, set in 1367 DR, says "10 years ago".

He also pointed out that the FR Campaign Setting (2e), page 66, set in 1367 DR, says "10 winters back".

And page 141 says:

1357 DR: Maalthiir overthrows the Council of Hillsfar and assumes control of the city.

--Eric

A self-coup. That makes perfect sense to me.

Ewan Cummins
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2019 :  20:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

And page 141 says:

--Eric

I have come to exactly the same conclusion as you some time ago.
I will add that he was a member of Council even before his election known as merchant mage. He had a friend in wizard Wak Rathar, used his apprentice Mordak and also a High Warden Hardil Gearas who lead the city once Maalthiir fled in 1374 (he capitulated to Fzoul). As most of the council was pro-elven most of them got probably killed or "disappeared" during the years. I think Hardil might be one of the last former councelors as he is a human.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2019 :  02:05:28  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any lore given as to why Maalthir was no anti-elven/demihuman? Or was he simply a human supremacist?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2019 :  02:50:34  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Is there any lore given as to why Maalthir was no anti-elven/demihuman? Or was he simply a human supremacist?

It may be fairly common for the Mooneyes on the South Coast (even in Voonlar). They are caught between the elves and goblinoids, after all.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2019 :  16:52:42  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Hillsfar was ruled by council of elves, half-elves, dwarves and humans before Maalthir took power. He needed a reason to get rid of them so race bias seems like a good start. Most of the merchants in the city was humans so he would have their support and his main aim was to cut influence of Cormanthor on the city.
Main source of rasism in the city after the coup were Red Plumes so he might just used those racist mercenaries for his agenda. It is therefore possible that Maalthir himself might be ambivalent to the race and focuses on power.

What I do not understand on Hillsfar is that docks are separated from the city and all the merchants are on the hill so there is no need for any traveling merchant to visit the city as it also means climbing the road with your wagon. Dock fee should be pretty high as that would be all they see from most visitors. Who would want to risk death in arena if there is plenty other markets he can sell to next doors...
In my realms first thing Zhentarim did after capturing the city was building a small town around docks where commerce could thrive. At first it also housed their army but later grew naturally into dock district outside of the gates.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000