Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is Mirt noble or commoner?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2019 :  11:40:12  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Reading 'Elminster in Hell', it dawned on me I never have seen why Mirt is an Lord, and since the title Lord means in real live, being noble, I thought he must belong to an house. But which?

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2019 :  13:03:47  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mirt is a Lord of Waterdeep. This isn't an inherited position. RTFM on the Waterdhavian power structure, e.g. here: https://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/organizations/waterdeep.shtml

He does not belong to any local noble house (and only first-generation residency, AFAIK), thus technically he's a commoner and his overt influence comes from business and contacts.
Of course, he got this position in part because he doesn't really need those official perks.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 31 Aug 2019 13:08:25
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2019 :  15:55:15  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mirt is a noble "of the Robe", not a noble "of the Sword". His office gives him noble rank and perks.
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2019 :  22:44:55  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though, the historic Nobles of the Robe were after a while, also inheritable upper classsmen, just lower rank than the "Sword" guys..
But good point, had to look that up to get what you meant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000