Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Been gone since 2nd edition
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gradekthebard
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2019 :  17:37:54  Show Profile Send Gradekthebard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am just returning to D&D after leaving when 3rd came out and was wondering if someone could update me as to the current state of the Forgotten Realms (I can’t seem to find a 5th ed campaign world book/boxed set). I don’t really care much about what happened in 3-4 editions unless it is relevant to the state of the Realms now. Thanks.

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2019 :  18:00:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no real continuity between 3e and 5e. 3e continued from 2e, adding new bits and detailing old stuff. 4e came along and blew up all the geography and advances the timeline 100 years so everything was a complete blank slate that they barely bothered to fill in. 5e then changed most of the geography back and the designers said use whatever you want (probably because they lack the skill or determination to detail it themselves).

So in 5e you can do whatever you want because nothing is really detailed and what little detail does exist is generic and kewl.

If you like the 5e rules (I hear they are a lot like 2e) then give it a try, but it lacks all the intricate flavours of the FR you knew, instead resorting to fantasy tropes and stereotypes in humongous shipping tankers full of bland lore that is poorly theorized and researched.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gradekthebard
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2019 :  18:03:50  Show Profile Send Gradekthebard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

There is no real continuity between 3e and 5e. 3e continued from 2e, adding new bits and detailing old stuff. 4e came along and blew up all the geography and advances the timeline 100 years so everything was a complete blank slate that they barely bothered to fill in. 5e then changed most of the geography back and the designers said use whatever you want (probably because they lack the skill or determination to detail it themselves).

So in 5e you can do whatever you want because nothing is really detailed and what little detail does exist is generic and kewl.

If you like the 5e rules (I hear they are a lot like 2e) then give it a try, but it lacks all the intricate flavours of the FR you knew, instead resorting to fantasy tropes and stereotypes in humongous shipping tankers full of bland lore that is poorly theorized and researched.

So I would be perfectly fine running essentially the old grey box Realms?
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2019 :  18:13:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt it would take much to adapt the ogb to 5e. I think the tablets of fate are back as well so you could even rerun the time of troubles if you wanted to.

They did do some adventure paths for 5e and a sword coast regional guide but nothing terribly inspiring. If you wanted to stick to canon then stay away from the sword coast and there is precious little lore for you to contradict.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gradekthebard
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2019 :  18:14:54  Show Profile Send Gradekthebard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I doubt it would take much to adapt the ogb to 5e. I think the tablets of fate are back as well so you could even rerun the time of troubles if you wanted to.

They did do some adventure paths for 5e and a sword coast regional guide but nothing terribly inspiring. If you wanted to stick to canon then stay away from the sword coast and there is precious little lore for you to contradict.

What Realms info is our for 5th and where do I get it (besides the sword coast guide).
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2019 :  18:20:52  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you love the realms then stick with 2e stuff. Add in some of the good bits from 3e (nothing novel related - mostly just races of faerun and lost empires of faerun and grand history of the realms and the champions of ruin and valor, a few bits from the regional source guides and you are done)

Then the best bits are the new articles by George krashos, under illefarn anew by Eric boyd and the border kingdoms sourcebook by ed Greenwood (its 5e but with lots of history and all the good bits in so it works with any time). Eric is working on a new high forest sourcebook and George is always working on a new article or two.

The old realms might have been abandoned, but those who made it great are still here and still adding new bits to one of the most detailed fantasy worlds ever created

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2019 :  18:27:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Official 5e stuff is

Sword Coast Adventurers Guide
Tyranny of Dragons adventure
Princes of the Apocalypse adventure
Out of the Abyss adventure
Storm Kings Thunder adventure
Tomb of Annihilation adventure
Waterdeep Dragon Heist adventure

If I remember correctly wotc decided that all publications were hardback only (an insane decision in the modern digital age) so unless they have reversed that you will need to buy it from a bookshop .

I should point out I'm very anti 5e (and 4e) so you might want to wait for a pro 5e and 4e opinion to come along before accepting mine.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 25 Aug 2019 18:29:16
Go to Top of Page

Gradekthebard
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2019 :  18:31:55  Show Profile Send Gradekthebard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you love the realms then stick with 2e stuff. Add in some of the good bits from 3e (nothing novel related - mostly just races of faerun and lost empires of faerun and grand history of the realms and the champions of ruin and valor, a few bits from the regional source guides and you are done)

Then the best bits are the new articles by George krashos, under illefarn anew by Eric boyd and the border kingdoms sourcebook by ed Greenwood (its 5e but with lots of history and all the good bits in so it works with any time). Eric is working on a new high forest sourcebook and George is always working on a new article or two.

The old realms might have been abandoned, but those who made it great are still here and still adding new bits to one of the most detailed fantasy worlds ever created

I can’t seem to find any of those on either amazon or wotc websites. Do you have links
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2019 :  19:16:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George's articles are on the dmsguild, with a few available on request from George (lord of the end of everything). Under illefarn anew I think is hosted on candlekeep itself (not the forum, the main website). The border Kingdoms piece should be on the dmsguild, I'll try and find the name of it so you can search for it.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2019 :  20:19:01  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If we go technically to the point, Gary is right in some points. Currently, the Realms looks much like the 2e Realms, but there are changes. The 100 years time jump means a lot of NPCs are dead (as immortality only benefits those with notable roles in novels or have the blessings of some author). The political state of the world has also changed, and there are new races around.

If you are going to give 5e a try, then start with the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It's the closest thing to a campaign book. The Forgotten Realms wiki is also a good source of info. Just be aware that in 5e, the Forgotten Realms is synonymous with the Sword Coast. If you want information about the rest of the world, the only canonical product is for Chult (Tomb of Annihilation).

I recommend to download Mr. Dream's supplements in the DM's Guild to the get an updated version of the other regions of the world. You can get them for free. Just take into account that they are fan made, and most info is non-canon.

https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?author=Mr%20Dream

As for my opinion about the setting in 5e, well... My opinion would be biased, as I prefer the 4e lore better (yeah, I'm one of those few). If you can get the 5e books, I say give it a try. The Forgotten Realms are super popular right now. It seems the opinions of us here in Candlekeep is the opinion of a minority.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 25 Aug 2019 20:20:52
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2019 :  20:37:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the border kingdoms supplement is just called The Border Kingdoms, and Ed Greenwood is the author. No idea if you are going to find it on DMsGuild, the search facility on that site is abysmal.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2019 :  23:19:39  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gradekthebard

I am just returning to D&D after leaving when 3rd came out and was wondering if someone could update me as to the current state of the Forgotten Realms (I can’t seem to find a 5th ed campaign world book/boxed set). I don’t really care much about what happened in 3-4 editions unless it is relevant to the state of the Realms now. Thanks.

Like Zeromaru X, I'm a fan of the Spellplague Realms and 4th Edition rules, so I guess could could count me as pro-5e too (as I also play in that edition).

So prevalent situations that occurred during 3e and 4e that pertain specifically to the Realms current state:

• 100 year time jump (as Gary mentioned). It's probably the BIGGEST change that occurred in the Realms in a LONG time (Realms-shattering events included). This has dramatic effects across the entire world as anyone who isn't long-lived or immortal will most likely be dead. There are MANY MANY ways around this via Magic or Undeath - so use what'ever "isms" you want to prolong any character. Ex. Our Group was 8th level and we made the jump "literally" by being sucked into a Mirror-Portal rendered inert during the spellplague then reactiveated by some latent magic. *POOF* now we're in the future.

• Shade's Return and constant meddling in the Realms. So Shade, aka Netheril, returned to the Realms when 3e was ushered in. They've made it their job to be the BIG baddies in pretty much everyone's side - the Dales, Cormyr, the Western Heartlands, the Sword Coast, the North, the Silver Marches, etc. Their attempt to revitalize the Anauroch desert had caused a lot of climate issues with surrounding countries. Their war on Cormyr and the elves of Cormanthyr and their hand in almost obliterating the Zhentarim has made them quite the foe. In the 5e landscape, they're scrambling after events caused their main city to crash into a part of reclaimed Myth Drannor.

• The Elven Retreat is no more. With the constant urging of one general, the army of Seiveril Miritar, lead a return to Faerûn, and recaptured Myth Drannor. Its new Coronal, Ilsevele Miritar (daughter to Seiveril and wife of Fflar Starbrow), began restoring the city to its former glory. This was going well, despite drawbacks, until Shade came along and dropped a city nearly on top of it. Now the city is in chaos, the area dangerous and deadly.

• Mt. Hotenow's eruption and near destruction of Neverwinter. The city suffered greatly because of this event, caused by the release of a large primordial fire creature. These events are detailed in the Neverwinter Drizzt saga. Despite the event, Neverwinter has come back from the Brink and is prosperous once again.

• The fall of Luskan and it's continued demise. The city is a current cesspool of filth, disease, and malaise. The ruling 'High Captains' have either died and been replaced - run now by Gangs who've broken up the city into territories. Think Escape from LA.

• Baldur's Gate has seen a huge influx of people, making the city nearly double in size. The new maps should paint you a good picture.

• Everywhere Else: Sort of up to you. I mean you can delve into the Lore provided during 4th Edition (detailed in various Living Forgotten Realms adventures, and Dragon articles) but unless there was a significant event, it's pretty much left up to your devices.

One final note: The change of the Spellplague and the "Sundering" I've taken the stance of using Canon and Lore like a buffet. Take what I feel is great and adding it to my games, removing or ignoring what I didn't like, and truly making it my own.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2019 :  01:22:52  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess that another relevant change would be in the Old Empires. The Spellplague was specially violent there, and Unther was obliterated when a portion of another world literally felt over it like a boulder, while Mulhorand ceased to be as a nation. Chessenta survived the chaos thanks to Ishual Karanok, who unified Chessenta as a single nation, but it lost its eastern region to the wild magic.

The survivors from the meteor's that destroyed Unther, the dragonborn, created a nation for themselves in what was southern Unther, called Tymanther. Meanwhile, genasi survivors from that other world, that came to Toril in a different-yet-similar cataclysm in Chondath, created the nation of Akanûl on the former eastern region of Chessenta. And the Deep Imaskari created a nation in former Mulhorand, creating the High Imaskar empire, incorporating most the surviving mulani in their population. And, some dragons conquered Murghôm and Semphar, creating a dragon-controlled region there (a logical development, seeing that there is no more Rage of Dragons, that means that dragons would start to create their kingdoms once more).

During the Second Sundering, we learn that Unther wasn't obliterated, just "transported to the other world" (a very weak plot device, is you ask me). They returned to Toril during the Second Sundering, and the Untherites tried to retrieve their "former" lands, but the dragonborn soundly defeated the Untheran army after Gilgeam's demon army was killed by some devils thinking this was yet another battle of the Blood War. And, yes, Gilgeam is alive once again because "Ao did it". Gilgeam now is biding his time while re-building his army.

As for Mulhorand, the slaves rebelled when their gods returned during the Second Sundering, defeated the imaskari, and now are rebuilding Mulhorand once again. Chessenta fell into civil war, and the nation disintegrated once more again into rival city-states. And people somehow lumped Akanûl to be part of Chessenta again.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2019 :  17:09:55  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been writing a series of deity lore pamphlets on my Dungeon Masters Guild channel (link in signature), with the objective of consolidating all the lore from every edition and updating it to the current published era. It's a mix of researched canon and gap fillers that I've written in an attempt to eliminate contradictions and inconsistencies. I'm using official sourcebooks, FR novels, Dragon articles, and Ed Greenwood's musings for my research.

I'm in the middle of doing major updates for the series atm. The next major update will be for the Kelemvor pamphlet, and the next new pamphlet will be for Waukeen.

I'm strongly considering doing a pamphlet for Asmodeus before the end of the year, perhaps even next month since Descent Into Avernus is coming out soon.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2019 :  02:28:26  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To go back to the original question.

he best answer is the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (available on Amazon and B&N as are all the hardcover modules mentioned above--no idea why you couldn't find them, here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/Sword-Coast-Adventurers-Guide-Accessory/dp/0786965800), which includes some brief mentions of other areas of the Realms far afield from the Sword Coast (so a paragraph or two or three about Calimshan, Thay, Rashemen, etc.). In a nutshell, 5E kept the 100+ year timeline advance of 4E, but effectively reversed most of the changes in 4E (but not all). In addition the shades are gone, so even many of the changes in 3E are done too. Examples of things that haven't gone back includes Dambrath being ruled by half-drow (they were defeated in 4E and largely replaced by half-lycanthropes known as shifters), the addition of the dragonborn nation of Tymanther in the middle of the Old Empires, and the city of Airspur remaining a bunch of floating land motes. Aside from that the biggest change is time. The 100+ year leap means a lot of folks are dead. That said, a lot more survived beyond their normal years through various magical manipulations and accidents. So while Azoun (as well as Vangerdehast and Alusair), Khelben, and Gareth Dragonsbane are dead (not all due to 4E), Elminster, Drizzt, and Mirt (and maybe Durnan) are still alive.

The various modules, many of which I think are great fun and well done, have greater amounts of lore for the various regions in which they are placed, but mostly they cover already covered ground in either 2E sources or SCAG with the notable exception of Tomb of Annihilation which adds quite a bit of detail to Chult (and I loved). The rest largely take place on the Sword Coast and so are to a greater or lesser extent covered by the SCAG. That said, Storm King's Thunder (liked it a lot, but didn't love it) includes a number of new sites and adds some lore related to the giants, while Out of the Abyss (also love it) takes place in the Underdark (beneath the Sword Coast/North).

You might also check the 3E Grand History of the Realms. It includes info on the history through the end of 3E. And since 4E was mostly undone with 5E, that with the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide should give you pretty much everything you need to know, but really the SCAG is probably all you really need.

As you've probably figured out, mechanically 5E is somewhere between 2E and 3E with a lot more balance at various levels and between classes than either of those editions. So a lot simpler and less mechanically intensive than 3E, but still more options than 2E with most not adding much complexity to the game. It is easier to run theater of the mind than 3E and 4E, and as a result a lot less mini-dependent than 3E or 4E, but still works just fine with minis if you choose.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000