Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Brainstorming Anchorome
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2019 :  19:20:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, I know I'm still working on a bajillion things, and so I'm thinking what I want to do is start doing some things for Anchorome in bite sized pieces while I work on other things. For instance, while I've been interested from a visual perspective of having humanoid cervidae folk (Shatjan) and tauric cervidae folk (hybsil) in the Adusgee as NPC's and PC's, I've not developed rules for them. So, like the Kercpa race I just did, I think I want to make a DM's guild article for these races. However, I'd like to have various sub-races for them and I'd like to throw out for maybe some ideas that I can tweak. As a preliminary, here's what I'm picturing

Main racial abilities to build on strength. Maybe give the survival skill. All the subraces favor the barbarian class. Unlike normal creatures with antlers, maybe they don't shed them?

Humanoid Cervidae Folk (Shatjan)
Moosehead = bonus to ability in Charisma, use antlers to improve AC, antlers are unusually hard compared to a normal moose. Strong and Charismatic, these are the leaders, but also the bards and they have warlocks who serve the archfey. They are outspoken, but sometimes hotheaded. They also have a fair number of paladins.

Caribouhead = bonus to ability in wisdom, use antlers to attack as a bonus action. They tend to fight either with two handed weapons or weapon and shield. Their antlers are much longer than any other sub-species and end in sharp points. They tend to be the clerics, druids, and monks of their people. They are much more quiet and reflective. They have Hishna spells to improve their antlers.

Staghead - slightly smaller in build than the others, and with smaller horns like a deer. An actual penalty to strength that negates the racial bonus, but a +4 bonus to dexterity and finessable and ranged weapons, and its not uncommon to find them fighting with two weapons. Rangers, Rogues, and bards are fairly common in their race. Its rumored that they can trace their ancestry to the Stag King of Rashemen and have some elven blood in their far gone past.

Tauric Cervidae Folk (Hybsil) - note facially they appear human, but their nose and mouth extend outwards and appear "deerish".
base race has bonus to CON. Check guildmasters guide to ravnica version of centaur for ideas

Hybsil - small tauric race. Small stubby horns, even smaller than a normal deers. Bonuses to dexterity. Check out the centaur in Ravnica's guide for ideas.

Large subrace. Name not chosen. bonuses to str. To note, this race should be not specific on its type of horn, and its meant to be used in both Anchorome and Katashaka. Thus, they might have antlers/horns like an elk, deer, or the various antelopes found in Africa. Get pictures of these various shapes for ideas.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2019 :  20:13:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, I know I'm still working on a bajillion things, and so I'm thinking what I want to do is start doing some things for Anchorome in bite sized pieces while I work on other things. For instance, while I've been interested from a visual perspective of having humanoid cervidae folk (Shatjan) and tauric cervidae folk (hybsil) in the Adusgee as NPC's and PC's, I've not developed rules for them. So, like the Kercpa race I just did, I think I want to make a DM's guild article for these races. However, I'd like to have various sub-races for them and I'd like to throw out for maybe some ideas that I can tweak. As a preliminary, here's what I'm picturing

Main racial abilities to build on strength. Maybe give the survival skill. All the subraces favor the barbarian class. Unlike normal creatures with antlers, maybe they don't shed them?

Humanoid Cervidae Folk (Shatjan)
Moosehead = bonus to ability in Charisma, use antlers to improve AC, antlers are unusually hard compared to a normal moose. Strong and Charismatic, these are the leaders, but also the bards and they have warlocks who serve the archfey. They are outspoken, but sometimes hotheaded. They also have a fair number of paladins.

Caribouhead = bonus to ability in wisdom, use antlers to attack as a bonus action. They tend to fight either with two handed weapons or weapon and shield. Their antlers are much longer than any other sub-species and end in sharp points. They tend to be the clerics, druids, and monks of their people. They are much more quiet and reflective. They have Hishna spells to improve their antlers.

Staghead - slightly smaller in build than the others, and with smaller horns like a deer. An actual penalty to strength that negates the racial bonus, but a +4 bonus to dexterity and finessable and ranged weapons, and its not uncommon to find them fighting with two weapons. Rangers, Rogues, and bards are fairly common in their race. Its rumored that they can trace their ancestry to the Stag King of Rashemen and have some elven blood in their far gone past.

Tauric Cervidae Folk (Hybsil) - note facially they appear human, but their nose and mouth extend outwards and appear "deerish".
base race has bonus to CON. Check guildmasters guide to ravnica version of centaur for ideas

Hybsil - small tauric race. Small stubby horns, even smaller than a normal deers. Bonuses to dexterity. Check out the centaur in Ravnica's guide for ideas.

Large subrace. Name not chosen. bonuses to str. To note, this race should be not specific on its type of horn, and its meant to be used in both Anchorome and Katashaka. Thus, they might have antlers/horns like an elk, deer, or the various antelopes found in Africa. Get pictures of these various shapes for ideas.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2020 :  03:28:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had problems mixing the facial features on the hybsil. decided to just do the large version. About to do another plains/native American inspired centaur and a zebrataur… but these are the latest models I made (yep, still having fun). I may do a Thayan centaur too for fun. I think I'm done kercpa models, unless I do a few more mounted versions.

Centaurs based on native americans with mohawks and a model with a feather headdress
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4085062

Tauric deer for the Adusgee Forest
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4084512

kercpa cleric or paladin model, follower of Rititisk the Clever with shield, acorn holy symbol and magic squirrel belt
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4083396

kercpa female wizard or warlock with sprite familiar summoned (sprite is taller than the kercpa)
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4083378

The foxibou, a creature concept that got my fancy, but I never developed its abilities. Pictured a red, grey, and white furred varieties with varying abilities. I do have it in my head that the Metahel god of the sun (Faerthandir) rides upon a golden furred foxibou as he pulls the sun across the sky in their mythology (and when they look in the sky, they see this even if others standing right next to them don't).
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4074405

More for Katashaka because I have plans for them there, but could very much fit Anchorome, a goatfolk (ibixian)
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4084083

More for katashaka, but could fit in Anchorome. Similar to the deer centaur, but different horns. 3 variants matching ram, kudu, and another type of horn.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4084759

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  22:29:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seethyr,

Was looking at something else in GHotR and came across this. Thought you should see it given the interest. So, apparently the aarakocra in the star mounts weren't there millenia ago? This seems a bit contradictory to some earlier stuff, but it might be my remembrances.

418 DR Year of the Eagle’s Flight
The first aarakocra colonists arrive in northern Faerūn, after generations of migrating from island to island across the Trackless Sea [–677, 987] from distant Maztica

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2020 :  23:33:08  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Seethyr,

Was looking at something else in GHotR and came across this. Thought you should see it given the interest. So, apparently the aarakocra in the star mounts weren't there millenia ago? This seems a bit contradictory to some earlier stuff, but it might be my remembrances.

The first aarakocra colonists arrive in northern Faerūn, after generations of migrating from island to island across the Trackless Sea [–677, 987] from distant Maztica

Not really contradictory. Context.
The Aearee used to be all over the place, but were mostly wiped out by dragons. Star Mounts aerie was ruined and abandoned.
Then in 418 DR some Aarakocra came back to northern Faerūn, since dragons became much less of a problem. Trying to resettle and somewhat fix the ruins of Star Mounts aerie makes sense, if they knew where it used to be (and why not).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2020 :  13:36:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

Seethyr,

Not really contradictory. Context.
The Aearee used to be all over the place, but were mostly wiped out by dragons. Star Mounts aerie was ruined and abandoned.
Then in 418 DR some Aarakocra came back to northern Faerūn, since dragons became much less of a problem. Trying to resettle and somewhat fix the ruins of Star Mounts aerie makes sense, if they knew where it used to be (and why not).

Ok, that works, and I like the idea. Maybe they were even "searching out the place because of stories of its grandness from long ago". This might also imply that it wasn't always aarakocra there as well, as the previous occupants might have been different, and now its the servants who show up (possibly even looking for the Aearee)

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2020 :  01:22:51  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am attempting a little write up on a glacial region found in the northern reaches of Anchorome and came across this snippet from City of Gold.

quote:

Poscadar Elves The plateau north of the Pasocada River and Long Canyon is home to the Poscadar Elves; a tall, bronze skinned tribe of demi-humans who lead a nomadic existence hunting bison and other great game across the grassy plains. Poscadar lore says the elves came from the north, generations ago, where they were first created by the gods in a land of perpetual ice and snow. A wise shaman led them south, where the sun shone warm in the summer, and the great wild herds assured health and plenty year round. Here they met humans - ancestors of the Azuposi-who befriended them and traded grains for hides and meat from the elves. For all remembered generations, even to the present day, the Poscadari and the Azuposi have been at peace.

I am banking on there being some of these "snow elves" that remain. Any thoughts on a logical date that the shaman led the migration? "Many generations" for elves could, I guess refer to 1,000 years in the past? But I am assuming the Azuposi have been there longer and "met humans-ancestors of the Azuposi" would likely be much earlier, no?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2020 :  23:20:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I am attempting a little write up on a glacial region found in the northern reaches of Anchorome and came across this snippet from City of Gold.

quote:

Poscadar Elves The plateau north of the Pasocada River and Long Canyon is home to the Poscadar Elves; a tall, bronze skinned tribe of demi-humans who lead a nomadic existence hunting bison and other great game across the grassy plains. Poscadar lore says the elves came from the north, generations ago, where they were first created by the gods in a land of perpetual ice and snow. A wise shaman led them south, where the sun shone warm in the summer, and the great wild herds assured health and plenty year round. Here they met humans - ancestors of the Azuposi-who befriended them and traded grains for hides and meat from the elves. For all remembered generations, even to the present day, the Poscadari and the Azuposi have been at peace.

I am banking on there being some of these "snow elves" that remain. Any thoughts on a logical date that the shaman led the migration? "Many generations" for elves could, I guess refer to 1,000 years in the past? But I am assuming the Azuposi have been there longer and "met humans-ancestors of the Azuposi" would likely be much earlier, no?

I'd go even further back than 1000 years. They've had many generations and even have tanned skin (I'm picturing an elven generation being about 100 years). We don't actually know when the Azuposi came over, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've been there more than 1000 years as well. However, the migration didn't necessarily happen fast, nor did they necessarily meet the azuposi ancestors fast. They may well have stayed in the Adusgee forest for a while, and there may be remnants of them there (there are some half-elves in your work). They may have stayed in the lands of Aearee and there may be avariels there.

BTW, one story I did like that AJA had was about a human mage who visited Evermeet, enchanted an elven princess, and she went into exile with him. One thing I posited was that perhaps this elven princess and her human lover went to live with the snow elves of Anchorome. This would allow for another breed of elf (their half elven children) to possibly breed into the snow elven society, and thus "breeding true" some western looking elves into the snow elven society

Check this stuff on Baglrbaun for ideas
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22581&whichpage=5

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 27 Jan 2020 23:33:55
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2020 :  02:45:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Seethyr, I've just been having fun playing with blender in my spare time, and I plan on instituting this concept down in Katashaka… but given your interests in the Aearee, I figured I'd share the idea if you want to use it. It could fit in Anchorome as well

The Peakocra. A peacock variation of Aarakocra. Complete with the giant colorful fan tail the stands up behind them. Unlike Aarakocra that are more "warrior", these would be highly intelligent, cultured, and very pleasant conversationalists. Down in Katashaka many of them may serve as warlocks whose patrons are the Great Spirits that rule the Wakanari Highlands as the group known as the Council of the Reborn Phoenix.

Peakocra Warlock Model https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4136812
Peakocra Ranger Model https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4136804
Peakocra Bard Model https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4136795

Also, specific to Anchorome, some other bird races that popped in my head

Turkocra (yep, Turkey Aarakocra)

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2020 :  23:35:36  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Seethyr, I've just been having fun playing with blender in my spare time, and I plan on instituting this concept down in Katashaka… but given your interests in the Aearee, I figured I'd share the idea if you want to use it. It could fit in Anchorome as well

The Peakocra. A peacock variation of Aarakocra. Complete with the giant colorful fan tail the stands up behind them. Unlike Aarakocra that are more "warrior", these would be highly intelligent, cultured, and very pleasant conversationalists. Down in Katashaka many of them may serve as warlocks whose patrons are the Great Spirits that rule the Wakanari Highlands as the group known as the Council of the Reborn Phoenix.

Peakocra Warlock Model https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4136812
Peakocra Ranger Model https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4136804
Peakocra Bard Model https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4136795

Also, specific to Anchorome, some other bird races that popped in my head

Turkocra (yep, Turkey Aarakocra)

LOL I love these. i could have sworn I saw a decent DMsguild product on aarakocra alternatives. I remember the artwork being excellent. If I see it again, I'll post it here.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2020 :  21:38:18  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, after some conversations we have had here, I was inspired to continue working with a glacier project set in Anchorome. Essentially, I’m taking a subsection of Anchorome in the northern reaches and giving it a little mini supplement. I’m going to try to keep it connected to some Realmsian lore but keep it freestanding as well. All of Sleyvas’ mentions of the shatjan (reindeer headed humanoids I believe originally found in one of the Horde products) got me thinking they should be major players, but I’m also incorporating tirichik and kupuk from the Great Glacier. Finally, I’m raiding 3e’s Frostburn product for other snowy ideas (snow goblins and urskans).

Here’s what I have so far. [url=“https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cBVlAelQaEtEOsFEPmcYsTmudmWhq3kg/view?usp=drivesdk”] Blacktoe Glacier[/url]

Just as a quick aside, the map is my first time using inkarnate.com. Please forgive it’s simplistic nature - I’ll replace it with a commissioned one if I feel it’s too low quality in the end.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 05 Feb 2020 21:47:39
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2020 :  23:57:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so far I like what I'm hearing you say (i.e. Urskans and shatjan), as that fits with the picture I had. Snow goblins work too. I'd recommend the snow elves too, as possibly there was a split long ago that formed the Poscadar elves. The tirichuk and kupuk definitely look weird. I'd also recommend the frost sprites (called frosts in the TSR2125 MC11 ad&d 2e monstrous compendium fr appendix), though I'd recommend making them pictorially look more like sprites and less "alien" looking. Anyway, let me dig into your writeup.

EDIT: ok, reading. I like the idea of the Urskans in conflict with Selkies. I never used Selkies ever, but this fits. BTW, I also like shatjan with moose heads. Ok, you have the snow elves still there too.

On the "Reindeer or Caribou Lord".... mind naming him Besparr the Many-Legged (a Metahel variant of Sleipnir that's not a horse) and giving him 8 legs?

Love the idea that long ago there was an Urskan lord that was lich like (maybe a shamanic lich of sorts). Also love that they were eating the elves. Hopefully this leads to a schism in which there are two groups of bear folk (one that's definitely evil and the other that's more neutral'ish).

I like that the elemental lord Cryonax fights off invading Abeiran dragons. Good use for an evil enemy who doesn't want such creatures pushing him aside.

Keryvoxx is an interesting addition. It might be interesting if he's the result of say the ToT or something and two dragons somehow unintentionally were combined. Perhaps their personalities are vastly different (the gem dragon polite, inquisitive, etc... and the white brutish and hungry)

I'd recommend multiplying the population of Reluvethel Holamoira by tenfold. 1700 people makes for a village. If this is a major holding of the snow elves, 17 thousand is still small. HOWEVER, what if something happened due to starvation, and they FROZE many of their citizens so that they didn't have to die. So, here they are in cryostasis essentially, and NOW the elves need something to thaw them. Maybe the power of the mythal is keeping them frozen.

Oh, and as an idea.... Urskans I see as taking slaves. They may eat them. I see snow goblins as good slaves for Urskans (if they get uppity, they get eaten).

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 07 Feb 2020 00:57:18
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2020 :  01:49:00  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

so far I like what I'm hearing you say (i.e. Urskans and shatjan), as that fits with the picture I had. Snow goblins work too. I'd recommend the snow elves too, as possibly there was a split long ago that formed the Poscadar elves. The tirichuk and kupuk definitely look weird. I'd also recommend the frost sprites (called frosts in the TSR2125 MC11 ad&d 2e monstrous compendium fr appendix), though I'd recommend making them pictorially look more like sprites and less "alien" looking. Anyway, let me dig into your writeup.

EDIT: ok, reading. I like the idea of the Urskans in conflict with Selkies. I never used Selkies ever, but this fits. BTW, I also like shatjan with moose heads. Ok, you have the snow elves still there too.

On the "Reindeer or Caribou Lord".... mind naming him Besparr the Many-Legged (a Metahel variant of Sleipnir that's not a horse) and giving him 8 legs?

Love the idea that long ago there was an Urskan lord that was lich like (maybe a shamanic lich of sorts). Also love that they were eating the elves. Hopefully this leads to a schism in which there are two groups of bear folk (one that's definitely evil and the other that's more neutral'ish).

I like that the elemental lord Cryonax fights off invading Abeiran dragons. Good use for an evil enemy who doesn't want such creatures pushing him aside.

Keryvoxx is an interesting addition. It might be interesting if he's the result of say the ToT or something and two dragons somehow unintentionally were combined. Perhaps their personalities are vastly different (the gem dragon polite, inquisitive, etc... and the white brutish and hungry)

I'd recommend multiplying the population of Reluvethel Holamoira by tenfold. 1700 people makes for a village. If this is a major holding of the snow elves, 17 thousand is still small. HOWEVER, what if something happened due to starvation, and they FROZE many of their citizens so that they didn't have to die. So, here they are in cryostasis essentially, and NOW the elves need something to thaw them. Maybe the power of the mythal is keeping them frozen.

Oh, and as an idea.... Urskans I see as taking slaves. They may eat them. I see snow goblins as good slaves for Urskans (if they get uppity, they get eaten).

I'm definitely going to incorporate these suggestions, and you're right about the population of snow elves. I just wanted to think of them as more scattered than centralized, that's why I went so low in population, but I overdid it.

For the urskans I have a mental image of the talking polar bear from the Golden Compass movie. More honorable than savage, but different factions could represent each type. I have the makurskans ("dead" or "dark" bear in their tongue) as the real source of evil with their former monarch (called brrarum) as the cause of all the evil. In my notes, I have his motivation for becoming undead to avoid starvation when the shatjan started preventing the hunting of the caribou herds. I want him evil, but sympathetic evil.

The cryostasis idea is great, and if I write up an adventure set here I'd like to use that idea. Thank you so much for this!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2020 :  02:49:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really Anchorome itself, but been interested in the concept of some "tauric octopus folk" that are somewhat similar to merfolk but more magical. They may also be a little more inclined to evil, and they may hate sahuagin and kuo-toa just out of spite. I know pathfinder made this a race, as I discussed it a few years back, but I'd have to hunt down that name (and can't use it in FR anyway). Anyway, nothing special, but two new 3d models that I also painted in paint3d.

octopusfolk male
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4152250
octopusfolk female
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4152087

I picture these folk as being near the sea of corynactis that's "west of maztica", where the Shalarin were also found and where Dagon had taken over. Many of them may have formed pacts with Dagon as warlocks. Others may favor clerical roles, and radiance magic should be more effective underwater (as opposed to say fire and lightning which can be problematic). I picture druids as also fairly common in their race. These people may have been created by the batrachi. I also picture them down south around Katashaka and Lopango.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2020 :  03:58:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realms already has intelligent octopi, the unoriginally-named tako. The name is just the Japanese word for octopus, but they've been detailed since 2E, as I recall.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2020 :  16:42:48  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You’ve also got the zoveri from celestia detailed in Planes of Law I believe. If you want evil though, they aren’t the ones you’re looking for.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  02:22:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thought about it more last night and decided to make a dark octopusfolk as well, with possible elven blood (possibly via malenti or dark elves or sea elves). Instead of regular flesh tones, they would have tones of blue, green, purple, gray, or black, and their bottom halves would not match, but be similar tones (i.e. black skin/green bottom, blue skin/purple bottom, etc...). Favoring more the idea of dark elves, and having them worship a giant octopus that drow refer to as the "Sea Spider" form of Lolth. Obvious similarities in look to Ursula from the Little Mermaid, except they're very skinny and have exceptionally long arms with really long fingers.

dark octopusfolk priestess
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4154203

dark octopusfolk female with a trident
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4154227

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  02:33:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The Realms already has intelligent octopi, the unoriginally-named tako. The name is just the Japanese word for octopus, but they've been detailed since 2E, as I recall.

Yeah, but they pretty much look like an octopus and wouldn't share normal abilities to talk, etc... Essentially though these are just a reskinned merfolk, but perhaps they were created by the batrachi from human stock. Main thing, just trying to give something a little different than merfolk.

Also, since I also see Seethyr's response, yes, the Zoveri were the ones we talked about a few years ago. However, the Zoveri are powerful and outer planar and good. This is meant to put a "humanlike" enemy under the sea that isn't a sahuagin or something very fishy. These might be something that a human might look at and find trustworthy because they see similarities. But they may act very differently than merfolk towards surface dwellers. Anyway, not quite sure what to do with them, but I like them as an option on the other side of the world.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  02:50:20  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah, but they pretty much look like an octopus and wouldn't share normal abilities to talk, etc... Essentially though these are just a reskinned merfolk, but perhaps they were created by the batrachi from human stock. Main thing, just trying to give something a little different than merfolk.

Also, since I also see Seethyr's response, yes, the Zoveri were the ones we talked about a few years ago. However, the Zoveri are powerful and outer planar and good. This is meant to put a "humanlike" enemy under the sea that isn't a sahuagin or something very fishy. These might be something that a human might look at and find trustworthy because they see similarities. But they may act very differently than merfolk towards surface dwellers. Anyway, not quite sure what to do with them, but I like them as an option on the other side of the world.

It’s really funny, I was just poring through Hordes of the Abyss due to boredom, and the Dagon entry might really interest you. In his background lore, it speaks of how the kuo-toa worshiped him but the sahuagin feared Dagon would be a threat to Sekolah’s dominance of the seas and made a push to wipe out the Kuo-toa.

Now I know kuo-toan lore has diverged from that bit of lore greatly over the years, but it really made me think of Dagon as a good fit for your octopoid folk. Perhaps from back in the days of the batrachi - I could see them having a a strong connection to Dagon.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  04:46:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric Boyd came up with a "thing" whereby the shalarin sea race that had remained in the "Sea of Corynactis" (west of Faerun and therefore close to Anchorome) had been subverted by Dagon ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  04:48:37  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Eric Boyd came up with a "thing" whereby the shalarin sea race that had remained in the "Sea of Corynactis" (west of Faerun and therefore close to Anchorome) had been subverted by Dagon ...

-- George Krashos

Not coincidentally one of my favorite bits of obscure lore that I wish had been expanded on. I’d love to see the Shalarin and the Sea of Corynactis get a little love.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  22:32:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Yeah, that's kind of what got me thinking about having a race of octopusfolk near the Sea of Corynactis (and having warlocks amongst them being more common.... and having a "normal flesh"/human top and a "dark octopusfolk" with a more fey looking top and skin colors of green, blue, purple, gray, and black. I figure the dark ones might be more attracted to Dagon, but the regular ones might as well. Of course, Dagon's worship might also be challenged by the worship of the great octopus that drow call Lolth's "sea spider" form. Since Dagon is octopus-like to a degree there might be a natural draw.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2020 :  22:34:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

It’s really funny, I was just poring through Hordes of the Abyss due to boredom, and the Dagon entry might really interest you. In his background lore, it speaks of how the kuo-toa worshiped him but the sahuagin feared Dagon would be a threat to Sekolah’s dominance of the seas and made a push to wipe out the Kuo-toa.

Now I know kuo-toan lore has diverged from that bit of lore greatly over the years, but it really made me think of Dagon as a good fit for your octopoid folk. Perhaps from back in the days of the batrachi - I could see them having a a strong connection to Dagon.

Yep, you read my mind again. That's why it was near the sea of corynactis (which we kind of need to place as well).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  03:40:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found in the trade enclave at Fort Flame of the United Tharchs of Toril and surrounding islands, the Noceri are elite bodyguards brought north from Katashaka, where they live in small tribal units.

Noceri warrior in armor
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4156350
Noceri sorcerer druid
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4156446

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  03:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Found in the trade enclave at Fort Flame of the United Tharchs of Toril and surrounding islands, the Noceri are elite bodyguards brought north from Katashaka, where they live in small tribal units.

Noceri warrior in armor
Noceri sorcerer druid

Oh nice, I could see them being related to giff and certainly the rhek (from the book of Exalted Deeds in 3e). You should check out that race for some inspiration, perhaps the rhek are a planar offshoot that you could now establish had their origins on Toril.

Here is the most recent update of the glaier project btw. I took each of your suggestions into consideration.

ANS3 Blacktoe Glacier

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  17:21:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Noceri warrior in armor
Noceri sorcerer druid

Oh nice, I could see them being related to giff and certainly the rhek (from the book of Exalted Deeds in 3e). You should check out that race for some inspiration, perhaps the rhek are a planar offshoot that you could now establish had their origins on Toril.

Here is the most recent update of the glaier project btw. I took each of your suggestions into consideration.

ANS3 Blacktoe Glacier

Hmmmm, yeah, the Rhek does say they are transplants from the prime. I have both Rhinaur and Noceri in Katashaka (one is a tauric rhino whose torso is very humanoid and the latter is a biped rhinoceros). I picture the average Rhinaur as very chaotic and barbaric, and the Noceri as having a tendency to loyalty and honor but savage when enraged. The Rhinaur came from Star of Cursrah, so they are a canon realms creature that we never see anywhere.

rhinaur imagery
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4102724

On the giff relation to them, I was actually pursuing something along these lines. Basically, you know how there's Loxo in the Shaar because of a spelljammer? I'm picturing that there's a heavy gravity jungle filled homeworld where giff, loxo, and Noceri originated and that they came here long ago on several spelljamming vessels to explore.... only their ships were then destroyed by nyama-nummo (that they came here to capture). Thus, they were stranded in Katashaka. One ship was attempting to escape maybe before it was assaulted in mid flight and they managed to crash it into the Shaar. Why have so many races that fulfill the same basic role (large, thick skinned, beings)? Basically to give imagery and give people an option of what they want their character to look like. The giff in this scenario are not gun toting "general wannabes", but have rather degressed to their more savage nature.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2020 :  21:08:04  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On the giff relation to them, I was actually pursuing something along these lines. Basically, you know how there's Loxo in the Shaar because of a spelljammer? I'm picturing that there's a heavy gravity jungle filled homeworld where giff, loxo, and Noceri originated and that they came here long ago on several spelljamming vessels to explore....

One, there are already Umpani, which is Giff-clone-but-rhino in Wizardry series.
Two, why something like this is needed at all? More specifically, why not develop variations of existing material, rather than cloning more boring "planet of hats" type one-note caricatures?
That's dull and almost never adds anything valuable.
Conversely, Malatra was done not by dropping more randomly generated "reverse zebra centaur!" mixes, but creatively, and it's distinct as a setting.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2020 :  00:19:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

On the giff relation to them, I was actually pursuing something along these lines. Basically, you know how there's Loxo in the Shaar because of a spelljammer? I'm picturing that there's a heavy gravity jungle filled homeworld where giff, loxo, and Noceri originated and that they came here long ago on several spelljamming vessels to explore....

One, there are already Umpani, which is Giff-clone-but-rhino in Wizardry series.
Two, why something like this is needed at all? More specifically, why not develop variations of existing material, rather than cloning more boring "planet of hats" type one-note caricatures?
That's dull and almost never adds anything valuable.
Conversely, Malatra was done not by dropping more randomly generated "reverse zebra centaur!" mixes, but creatively, and it's distinct as a setting.

Ok, wizardry isn't D&D. I just chose the name Noceri because you hear it and pretty much can guess what it is (I was torn between it and Rhinotaur, but Rhinotaur is a little too close to Rhinaur which is already canon). As to why... just because it could look fun.

I'm currently playing in a campaign that is composed of me playing a kercpa wizard/warlock, an aarakocra arcane archer, a kenku fighter (ranger maybe?), a tabaxi rogue, an orc warrior, and a human sorceress named Elsa with ice powers (yeah)…. Someone might look at that and say "why have two bird folk in a party", and I simply respond "because they thought it would be fun". I can see a party showing up at some village filled with elephant, rhino, and hippo folk and smiling. Conversely, I could see a couple players who think alike enjoying having a giff and rhino guy working together.

Now, do I need this to be a vast society encompassing all of Katashaka? Nope. But they're there as an option, and I can definitely see all 3 being employed as body guards and taking the roles that people would normally have maybe used with minotaurs over in Faerun. Even better, unlike minotaurs which are typically treated as evil, these beings might be better termed as something like neutral with either lawful or chaotic tendencies.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2020 :  20:10:31  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the last WIP before the final book is out.

Blacktoe Glacier

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2020 :  13:36:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here is the last WIP before the final book is out.

Blacktoe Glacier

Love the simulacrum elixir. Will look at more later.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000