Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Brainstorming Anchorome
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2019 :  00:13:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shades of eternity

One of the things I did for my own purposes is reskinned the Couatl to be the albino raven(s) of myth.

I'd love an east coast civilization of some sort, but it's kinda hard without a st. lawrence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroquois

but take 5 tribes (3 human, 1 elf, and 1 orc) and force them to work together against the ghoulish spirit world filled with spirits that bring in and play on their own darkness and the darkness of others and I think it could be a serious spin on the concept.

I'm not really following this piece? I get the dark spirits coming and affecting the world, but why 5 tribes, why those races, etc...? Just trying to get the idea.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2019 :  02:44:44  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

All this talk of tumbleweeds reminds me of the odopi from the 3.5 Monster Manual III. Perhaps they are a good creature to update and include in the Pasocada Basin. I know they are from Carceri, but a little incursion into the Realms (Anchorome) might make for a weird encounter.

They're a lot bigger than a tumbleweed too. They're size huge (or even gargantuan), and thus bigger than most giants. Granted, you could adapt them to a smaller thing, but then its not the same.

An afternoon or two of writing. Glad work isn’t busy.

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/290652

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2019 :  04:35:40  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

One of the things I did for my own purposes is reskinned the Couatl to be the albino raven(s) of myth.

I'd love an east coast civilization of some sort, but it's kinda hard without a st. lawrence.

but take 5 tribes (3 human, 1 elf, and 1 orc) and force them to work together against the ghoulish spirit world filled with spirits that bring in and play on their own darkness and the darkness of others and I think it could be a serious spin on the concept.

I'm not really following this piece? I get the dark spirits coming and affecting the world, but why 5 tribes, why those races, etc...? Just trying to get the idea.

It originally was based on the irouquoi alliance that was made up by 5 tribes and I picked the species that are human compoundable to allow intermarrying to show a unified link. Open to alternative choices.:)

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2019 :  03:10:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

It originally was based on the irouquoi alliance that was made up by 5 tribes and I picked the species that are human compoundable to allow intermarrying to show a unified link. Open to alternative choices.:)

Gotcha on why those races. Hmmm, elf and orc are just a hard buy in as being willing to work with each other. Human, elf, and hengeyokai might work better (but with the hengeyokai human form looking more native American than asian and changing into local animals... in particular bird forms could be blamed on the aearee). The elves might be something akin to lythari (i.e. not just Poscadari elves) as well, such that perhaps they are shapeshifters that take on the form of something specific to the area. For instance, if the elves could take on the shape of horses, they may have been blessed by Epona and be an offshoot tribe of Poscadari as a result.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 05 Oct 2019 03:17:02
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2019 :  04:03:19  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could delve into the legends of skinwalkers for the shale changers you’re looking for.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2019 :  15:45:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You could delve into the legends of skinwalkers for the shale changers you’re looking for.

Good point. I didn't want to reference hengeyokai, because of the obvious kara-tur analogy it brings to the brain. Skinwalker would be a much better reference name. I wouldn't want them to be like shifters or changelings of Eberron. The only thing I could see them changing to is some "spirit animal" that they are tribally tied to. Culturally, these "skinwalkers" would be another type of Minnenewah. I'd also recommend, just to again add a little bit of the fantastic, have them worshipping a spirit beast that matches to their shape changing. So, just as a for instance, if they could change into hummingbirds, maybe there's a giant hummingbird spirit that appear to them (personally don't see that for THIS, but I might put said spirit in the Adusgi forest by the kercpa's, shatjan, hybsils, and fey plant beings). And so while I'm actually considering this option, let's throw out some ideas of some "not amazing awesome but interesting" ideas of what they might be able to shift into that is really different from what we usually see (i.e. bears, canines, boars, rats, and cats)…. even getting into the very "unusual". Noting staying away from reptiles and creatures with exoskeletons, as they seem a lot more alien to mammals/birds.

jackalopes (size tiny) or just jackrabbits, porcupines, beavers, skunks, chipmunks, turkeys, small and/or songbirds (bluejays, cardinals, robins, etc...), sea gulls, ducks, geese, swans (swanmays), chickens, deer, moose, bison, goats, sheep, rams, chaparral cocks or maybe Poye-kwe (can't call them road runners in realmspace... too note, known for killing snakes), and now I need to stop because I'm picturing a giant turkey.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2019 :  17:16:07  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Good point. I didn't want to reference hengeyokai, because of the obvious kara-tur analogy it brings to the brain. Skinwalker would be a much better reference name. I wouldn't want them to be like shifters or changelings of Eberron. The only thing I could see them changing to is some "spirit animal" that they are tribally tied to. Culturally, these "skinwalkers" would be another type of Minnenewah. I'd also recommend, just to again add a little bit of the fantastic, have them worshipping a spirit beast that matches to their shape changing. So, just as a for instance, if they could change into hummingbirds, maybe there's a giant hummingbird spirit that appear to them (personally don't see that for THIS, but I might put said spirit in the Adusgi forest by the kercpa's, shatjan, hybsils, and fey plant beings). And so while I'm actually considering this option, let's throw out some ideas of some "not amazing awesome but interesting" ideas of what they might be able to shift into that is really different from what we usually see (i.e. bears, canines, boars, rats, and cats)…. even getting into the very "unusual". Noting staying away from reptiles and creatures with exoskeletons, as they seem a lot more alien to mammals/birds.

jackalopes (size tiny) or just jackrabbits, porcupines, beavers, skunks, chipmunks, turkeys, small and/or songbirds (bluejays, cardinals, robins, etc...), sea gulls, ducks, geese, swans (swanmays), chickens, deer, moose, bison, goats, sheep, rams, chaparral cocks or maybe Poye-kwe (can't call them road runners in realmspace... too note, known for killing snakes), and now I need to stop because I'm picturing a giant turkey.

Certainly skinwalkers could just be reskinned (no pun intended) hengeyokai. If you get a chance take a look at the lore on the coyotlwere in the campaign guide. I did some research into skinwalkers when I wrote up that entry.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2019 :  20:12:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, this kind of ties into my United Tharchs lore, but I believe its a good idea.

Centaurs - I know ORIGINALLY there were no canon centaurs in City of Gold, because in canon there was no existence of horses over here, BUT we've accepted this idea that horses are known in northern anchorome (which I like.... it fits that they weren't seen down in the jungles of Maztica). But, one of the things I have going on is the idea that Fort Flame prior to the spellplague attracted a Thayan Enclave of displaced refugees from the civil war that basically were just seeking a new life with land for the taking. I believe that those Thayans would be not just Mulans and Rashemi blooded individuals, but also gnolls and centaurs (and to a lesser degree orcs, half-orcs, and goblin kin..... many of whom I'm writing as being used as slaves or fodder to fight the Poscadari until they died out).

So, I'm liking the idea that the gnolls and centaurs broke free and "went native", such that perhaps in the lands of the Minnenewah tribes of Epona, maybe there are now centaurs with more of a "nature oriented"/"spirit worship" viewpoint. I think most of us would be ok with this idea as long as they're small collections.

On a similar note, the gnolls may have tried a similar viewpoint, but rather than being accepted by the Minnenewah, maybe they are considered abominations and hunted. Thus, coyotlweres and Minnenewah tribes worshipping the coyote spirit kill gnolls on sight. Good idea here?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2019 :  20:26:03  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

c. -30,400 DR
The Wasting Plague: In a conflict between the gnolls of Urgnarash and the rookery of Kookrui-Shara...

I’d say gnolls are still there from 32,000 years ago!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 05 Oct 2019 20:27:27
Go to Top of Page

BadLuckBugbear
Seeker

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2019 :  23:45:35  Show Profile Send BadLuckBugbear a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'll just throw out some general ideas about categories of monsters I think fit well, with an eye toward renaming, altering, or reskinning exist monsters:

big talking beasts:
giant beaver
giant lynx
giant eagle
giant owl

giants:
hill giants
frost giants
stone giants

evil "cannibals":
ghouls/lacedons
ogres

witches and evil spirits:
hags
ghosts
vampires
etc

Ewan Cummins
Go to Top of Page

BadLuckBugbear
Seeker

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2019 :  00:00:53  Show Profile Send BadLuckBugbear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Big questions:

In our world we speak and write of the world-altering Columbian Exchange.

What cultivars, animals and monsters, nation/cultures, religions, plagues, schools of magic, technologies etc transferred between Maztica/Anchorome and Faerun from the time of Cordell's discovery and conquest to the Sundering?

And what were the things exchanged or transferred with Abeir joining with Toril and then separating?

Cordellian Exchange

Abeiran Exchange

Should either of these things be posted as a new thread?

Ewan Cummins

Edited by - BadLuckBugbear on 06 Oct 2019 00:13:43
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2019 :  01:56:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

c. -30,400 DR
The Wasting Plague: In a conflict between the gnolls of Urgnarash and the rookery of Kookrui-Shara...

I’d say gnolls are still there from 32,000 years ago!

I think that's supposed to be a reference to the Shaar and the Kenku down in what's now known as "Blackfeather Barrens" in Veldorn/the Beastlands. It also says that many Aearee-Quor turn to That being said, its not definite.

However, if you read the ORIGINAL a Grand History of the Realms by BRJ, its got this

As the wyrms adjusted to their new environment, an avian race known as the aearee seized the opportunity offered by the collapse of the
Batrachi Empire by occupying virtually all the territory previously held by the amphibioids. Two distinct empires arose during this time,
aearee-kokra ruled Anchorome and aearee-kenku ruled Shaar.

Using diplomacy in lieu of force, the aearee-kokra built a peaceful empire stretching as far west as Maztica and as far south as the Lake of Steam. The great kokra aerie at Viakoo governed its lands fairly and forged lasting friendships with couatl, fey and other denizens of
Anchorome. The aearee-kenku were more militaristic in their expansion seizing their lands from jotunbrud and batrachi refugees. In a
particularly devastating conflict with minions of Yeenoghu, the aearee-kenku were subjected to the debilitating Wasting Plague. The
afflicted, who had lost their wings as a result of the disease, were labeled korbie and driven underground.

So, this hints that the Aearee-kenku were the ones the gnolls conflicted with, and they ruled Shaar (which looking at his maps, the area called "Shaar was basically kind of like the current shaar plus the area that would eventually be like the eastern side of the inner sea.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2019 :  02:54:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NOTE: in the above, I only referenced the non-canon version of Grand History because it pertained to how that original reference came about. Also, it very well could be that there were gnolls in the area that became the continent of Anchorome as well as the Shaar. It could also be interesting if say there is a tribe of Minnenewah following coyote and who are friendly with the gnolls of Anchorome (who are more in tune with nature, etc...), and then along come some Faerunian ones who still follow Yeenoghu's teachings.

I specify this mostly because, while I like Brian's work, I don't want to canonize everything he has written, because as good as he is, I feel there's flaws that come from working alone or that new ideas just come out over time as better options. For instance, he has the Azuposi becoming the illuskans, and I don't think that's the case. I much more prefer the idea that the Azuposi are transplants from Kara-Tur as hinted in City of Gold. I much prefer the idea that the Metahel are related to the northmen. I like the idea that all the races of the Pasocada basin (metahel, Azuposi, Nahopaca, short ones, desert dwarves, Poscadari elves) excluding possibly the dog men are all relative newcomers to the region.... and by that I mean they may have only have been here within the last few millenia (I picture some like the metahel as only having been there a few generations before the spellplague, and thus when Cordell landed, they still hadn't grown as far as they were still reeling from a war they held with the natives and having to build a new home with nothing... but then things happened to make their lives easier, and they expanded while in Abeir).

I will note though that his work gives a location for like the Tabaxi and does show what HE viewed to be Katashaka and it does give the name to Myrmidune

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2019 :  03:27:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dire butterflies - these rare butterflies, which grow to the size of a small halfling in body but with wingspans of 6 foot or more, are said to be descendants of the original butterflies released by Qotal when challenging Zaltec. Others claim that these were a gift to the world by the spirit of Trickster (Sun Youth/Paiyatemu). The caterpillars from which they form are known to infest the forests of Western Anchorome in spurts that denude large swathes of forest of their leaves, and these stands are also typically targeted afterward by dire woodpeckers and giant beavers. Each generation of dire butterflies lives only a few years, and it is whispered that when death approaches they are inexplicably drawn northwestward. Some believe that they travel to a place of holiness, which upon reaching it, they are once again rebirthed anew. Some are thought to become faerie dragons, others the fairies known as petals, while others whisper that those of true worthiness bond their spirits and bodies with the bones of dead dragons or nagas and thus birth new amber dragons, mirage dragons, and couatls. The scales of their wings are a treasured commodity, though the killing of a dire butterfly by most intelligent beings of Anchorome is considered a sacrilege, so most collected scales come from the bodies of a butterfly that is found dead. Rumors of their magical effects have thus far been little tested.

BTW: I know this idea needs a little work, especially the final transformation piece. But I wanted to put out the idea that you never see giant butterflies as a monster, and I also wanted to tie them to some greater mystery in Anchorome. I'm picturing a few hundred of them being born each year, but few survive the year.

EDIT: updated Sun Youth's real name's spelling... I keep thinking its Maiyetmu and it Paiyatemu

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 06 Oct 2019 23:38:23
Go to Top of Page

BadLuckBugbear
Seeker

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2019 :  18:13:24  Show Profile Send BadLuckBugbear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sleyvas, are the aforementioned giant beavers the talking/smart sort from the Monster Manual (AD&d)?

Ewan Cummins
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2019 :  18:16:26  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you know what that reminds me of.

a character from the wild card series.

There was this guy named the messenger of black that used butterflies to manifest his powers.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/WildCards
here's a quote from tv tropes

Emissario Negro, the "Messenger in Black" — a South American enthomology professor who turned an Ace to summon and control empowered butterflies. Those not only relay information, but can carry and spread various dusts on their wings, including diseases up to the Wild Card itself!

now mix in a little Mothra and you can have a type of plumashaper that guides these dire butterflies as the end up pollinating vast territories with a substance that essentially is powered mythral that creates patches of wild magic throughout Anchorome.

and just to make it seriously easy, use the same color convience as dragons to figure out any side effects on the land (hell just steal the lair effects).

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2019 :  20:10:45  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really nice additions to the Land of the Insect Men here.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2019 :  23:35:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BadLuckBugbear

Sleyvas, are the aforementioned giant beavers the talking/smart sort from the Monster Manual (AD&d)?

First, let me say I had not realized that they had ever STAT'd a giant beaver, but sure enough they did in AD&D. That being said, I'd recommend against them being talking, intelligent animals. This wouldn't be the first time an animal's intelligence is taken away mind you, and those beavers when I look at the 1st ed monster manual had intelligence of low to average. I'd recommend they just be big damn beavers. Also, we haven't STAT'd them yet (just as I haven't STAT'd the dire/giant jackalope, dire/giant woodpecker, dire/giant butterfly, dire/giant moose, etc... and so far we've just been throwing things against the wall and getting rough ideas of their sizes, how they'd function in the environment, etc...).

Now, that being said, I have no problem with SOME giant beavers that can talk. Druids have awaken as a spell. In theory spirit shamans or other beings in Anchorome may also have such spells. I can see portions of Anchorome that have intelligent, talking wild beasts, and many regular people may chalk this up to "spirits". A flock of "awakened" ravens and giant ravens may serve the great spirit of Raven. A bunch of "awakened" magpies might serve the followers of the great spirit Shakak. The Kercpa may be far fewer in number than I mentioned, but they may awaken regular squirrels to be their eyes and ears in the Adusgi Forest. The Shatjan and Hybsil may awaken giant elks, giant reindeer, giant moose, or regular varieties of such creatures to come to them and watch over herds if there is trouble. The bearfolk may awaken local bears. The Minnenewah may awaken animals that are their tribal totems.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

BadLuckBugbear
Seeker

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2019 :  03:31:03  Show Profile Send BadLuckBugbear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RE: Big Brown Beaver

Indeed, they might work better as unusual "spirit animal' monsters living in an isolated region, rather than as commonplace creatures.

A civilization of giant talking beaver is more the sort of thing I'd put in my home-brew.

Ewan Cummins
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2019 :  04:32:45  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Gotcha on why those races. Hmmm, elf and orc are just a hard buy in as being willing to work with each other. Human, elf, and hengeyokai might work better (but with the hengeyokai human form looking more native American than asian and changing into local animals... in particular bird forms could be blamed on the aearee). The elves might be something akin to lythari (i.e. not just Poscadari elves) as well, such that perhaps they are shapeshifters that take on the form of something specific to the area. For instance, if the elves could take on the shape of horses, they may have been blessed by Epona and be an offshoot tribe of Poscadari as a result.

I like it. Especially Hengyokai being reskinned skinwalkers :)

quote:

On a similar note, the gnolls may have tried a similar viewpoint, but rather than being accepted by the Minnenewah, maybe they are considered abominations and hunted. Thus, coyotlweres and Minnenewah tribes worshipping the coyote spirit kill gnolls on sight. Good idea here?

Yes please. :)

quote:

Indeed, they might work better as unusual "spirit animal' monsters living in an isolated region, rather than as commonplace creatures.

A civilization of giant talking beaver is more the sort of thing I'd put in my home-brew.

Ha I did beaverfolk for my rpg where they were paranoid paramilitary. I have the 3e stats on my website and can post the 5e version if there is interest. :)

I'm agreeing with somewhat limiting awakened animals. Not saying no, just saying using conservatively.

Mainly because I don't think I could resist making an awakened moose and it's kercpas companion. :D

I stand by the idea that dire beavers creating wetlands whom limit the fire cycle from the elemental plane of fire's reach.

that way you have a serious need to stop that mad trapper: He's threatening armageddon to have a great hat. :p

Bringing up a creature that is a real world pest and would love to see how it would translate in the realms: Canadian Geese. :D

I'd love to figure out a spin on Porcipines to give it a magical version.

I'd want a magic wolverine, but we already got a darn good one: the Aurumvorax. :D

Edited by - shades of eternity on 07 Oct 2019 04:34:28
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2019 :  00:06:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Recommend getting Seethyr's DMS Guild offering about Anchorome. The Giant and other giant animals are mostly confined to one region (they Kaaya'yeeda). I do picture the beavers though leaving that area to get where there are more trees, so they probably roam the edges.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

BadLuckBugbear
Seeker

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2019 :  01:56:25  Show Profile Send BadLuckBugbear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Recommend getting Seethyr's DMS Guild offering about Anchorome. The Giant and other giant animals are mostly confined to one region (they Kaaya'yeeda). I do picture the beavers though leaving that area to get where there are more trees, so they probably roam the edges.

It's on my list, thanks.

Ewan Cummins
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2019 :  04:15:24  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
man question

any places like yellowstone on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2019 :  04:29:13  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

man question

I don't think we have put one in yet, but the west coast has very little developed.

The creatures here would be awesome... for one I am thinking a beljuril dragon. They appeared in an old Dragon Magazine and I updated them somewhere already.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

BadLuckBugbear
Seeker

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2019 :  04:43:56  Show Profile Send BadLuckBugbear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to avoid spoilers, so I won't name the novel, but I recently read a Western in which the hero hides out in (what would later become) Yellowstone because his Indian enemies are afraid to enter the place of geysers and bubbling mud pits. They believe dangerous spirits live there. The hot zone provides him a refuge during the harsh winter.

In a fantasy world like FR, I think actual spirits or monsters dewlling in the geysers and hot springs makes sense. Elementals seem pretty obvious, but what about mudmen?
Lava children?
Water weirds?

Ewan Cummins

Edited by - BadLuckBugbear on 08 Oct 2019 04:48:46
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2019 :  13:01:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

man question

What do you mean by "like Yellowstone" exactly? Forgive, I know the name, and I THINK we went there once when I was a kid (so almost 40 years ago). The only things I can think of are hot springs and geysers. If that's what you mean, I did add something like that on my map for the northern "middle" Adusgi Forest.

I've got an area which I'm calling the home of a "2nd" tribe of "Pyre Giants".... or basically red-skinned almost native American looking giants who have an affinity for heat, and maybe give them 2 minor horns... but not black-skinned, stocky dwarf looking fire giants who forge stuff... and from a back-story standpoint maybe these "pyre giants" are basically giant genasi... children born of efreeti and say stone giant or fire giant mating perhaps. I picture them wearing leathers, using "tomahawks" made from stone or giant animal bones (some of this stone may be plumastone or obsidian). They may use ivory from creatures like mammoths and sabretooths to make other weapons, and travelling into the kaaya'yeeda to hunt is probably a pretty regular thing.

Speaking on that particular subject, I do see BadLuckBugbear's notes below this, and the idea of "what else" inhabits said area. He mentions mud men, and I do like that idea. I can also see steam mephits, and wherever there's volcanos lava mephits. I'd like to stay away from firenewts in THIS particular area. I can also see these Pyre giants taking slaves from amongst the "hairy men of the forest"... i.e. the Alaghi…. though they wouldn't necessarily make good slaves, and many who aren't trainable are probably cooked and eaten to teach a lesson to the others.

Right next to this civilization, we were discussing putting a second group of Abeil.... a hive that comes into conflict with many of the other groups in the area, but mainly these pyre giants. The Pyre giants may have developed a taste for Abeil that are spitted and slow roasted with a honey glaze sauce.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2019 :  13:57:54  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_National_Park
well the main things I get from it is 1. it's an extinct volcano with a huge caldera and 2. it's filled to the brim with sulpheric geothermal vents that range from theureptic to lethal.

It is not a healthy place for animals to live.

the geography stretches beyond the park and influences the following areas to some degree:

Mount St. Helen (probably before your guy's times and mine as well, but we had a volcano that was considered extinct go off and release massive ash across the continent)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_eruption_of_Mount_St._Helens

Craters Of The Moon - National Monument & Preserve
https://www.nps.gov/crmo/index.htm

yoho national park
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/bc/yoho
the big feature is that of the Burghess Shale
https://www.burgess-shale.bc.ca/

This has a ton of potential not unlike the badlands of alberta equivelent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hot_springs
I'm particularly fond of Radium, but it gives an idea of spread of these locations in the united states and canada.
<still looking for a good map of their locations in canada, but here's one for the us>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hot_springs#/media/File:Geothermal_springs_map_US.png

Since there isn't a rockies in anchorome, I guess it would make sense to make it more isolated.

Pyre Giants work as the main inhabitants and opponents of such areas.

they also kinda remind me of a south american myth of giants:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zipacna
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Si-Te-Cah

Rifts in particular had the Pucara - the red giants of the andes that could shape stone like clay so they could use this power to dig a hole on the side of the mountain, cover it, and pop out like the kool aid man.

Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2019 :  04:13:25  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ha was going to leave this lie, but then found out about this

https://www.mountwashington.org/

A overly windy mountain on the east coast that may have the equivelent of a wizard tower or anchorome equivelent (Say an elemental touch point)?

I like this idea. :)

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2019 :  16:42:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

ha was going to leave this lie, but then found out about this

https://www.mountwashington.org/

A overly windy mountain on the east coast that may have the equivelent of a wizard tower or anchorome equivelent (Say an elemental touch point)?

I like this idea. :)

Yoink… you know, I like this idea. I'd been discussing with Seethyr the concept that the "red wizards" maybe not be all up in Fort Flame, but that they STARTED there with a bunch of Mulan/Rashemi refugees from the Thayan Civil War looking for land. I'd also discussed the concept that a bunch of refugees came from the Chultan peninsula kingdoms AFTER the spellplague (i.e. those lands maybe didn't sink... they went to Abeir in large portions, and SOME was left behind, which led people to THINK they sank). Then we started talking about adding islands off the coast of Anchorome, and I decided that maybe all those refugees, rather than trying to displace populations on the continent, went "eastward" to islands which would be more safe to establish themselves and then move into the continent. So, one of those islands, I figured more northerly and near the "turn" towards that long peninsula would have a new Thayan tharch on an island, and they can come into conflict with the northern populations of Anchorome (snow elves, polar bearfolk, pyre giants and rime giants, etc....).

So, anyway, given the normal "Thayan" interest in weather magic, I like the idea of them having some kind of "observatory" to study weather, the sky, etc... especially if they were studying the sky because it was now different (i.e. steelsky). They may have even taken some notes from the Azuposi and Payit and Naticans (all of whom studied the sky extensively). Given that I'm also having them using "skyships" of various sorts, their interest in the sky becomes that much more. To note, my "red wizards" are not exactly what most people would think of when it comes to Thayans <A) they couldn't give a rat's ass about Thay anymore for the MOST part... though many of the more powerful don't share this disinterest and are alive from that era B) not all of them are racist still C) a lot of them aren't evil D) they're more willing to work together>

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2019 :  20:12:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the things that we were discussing a moment ago in another thread is that Tangled Web introduces that Ruathym has a giant tree known as Yggdrasil's Child

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Yggdrasil%27s_Child

This is a tree with ties to the "Rus" or "Northmen" that came to Ruathym. It occurs to me that... what if this is a pretty common sort of thing in communities of Anchorome that have ties to the "Northmen". For instance, I was wanting to have many of the Yuir deities such as Magnar the Bear and Relkath of the Many Branches in the Metahel Pantheon (with Relkath being a child of Yggdrasil and Khelliara).

So, what if this is a common thing to many such communities, with individuals "becoming" Yggdrasil's Child. Maybe they transform into a tree after taking on the woodling template. These become center points of some of the more northerly cultures, with ties to runes and rune magics. This could be magics that the snow elves understand as well.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000