Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Brainstorming Anchorome
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8542 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  18:33:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Dire Raccoon - these should be found in the area, but they should also be found LEAVING the kaaya'yeeda and INVADING surrounding territories. They're thieves for garbage. They're vicious. They are meat eaters and may take small children. Picturing these creatures being the size of a horse.

How about, instead of dire raccoons (and the previously mentioned kercpa), combining the two? How about raccoon people? Humanoids, maybe halfling-sized but more muscular, a kind of tribal structure (I'm thinking a matriarchal one) that has other tribes as frenemies, with legends of someone (possibly an ancient wizard) who "birthed" their race. Mix it up a bit and give them all some minor spellcasting ability -- maybe they all have spells like a 1st or 2nd level wizard or cleric, with the exceptional ones having more levels in both.

This was not inspired by Groot's buddy, though the comparison is obvious. It could just as easily be another type of critter, even something like larger and more advanced kercpa.

You know, I was seriously thinking about having raccoon people already, but I kind of felt I was going heavy on the animal people (bear folk, squirrel folk, hybsil, shatjan). I was also thinking "they'll think of rocket raccoon". I wouldn't get rid of the kercpa, as they "fit" a role as tiny tree top creatures. But I also don't see a problem with another section somewhere having raccoon people if other people don't. They could be thieving folk, untrustworthy, etc... filling the roles traditionally filled by like gnomes or halflings. This land is big, and we could fit them in near the falls of the Equuoni Geyvi river on the bottom side near the Pagunkee wood and the river. They might be friendly with the Poscadari elves and half-elves of the Pagunkee Wood, and also a thorn in the side of the people of Fort Flame AND the Minnenewah.

I wouldn't give them illusion magic per se, but is there any particular low power magics that might make them a bit more trickster like? Maybe even some kind of druidic magic? Or maybe it would be better to give them skills and abilities inclined towards being a rogue.

As to worship, they might revere Chiktikka Fastpaws and his "companion" Baervan Wildwanderer (a gnomish deity of nature but who is a bit reckless and kind of thieving).

You know, its funny, one of the things Seethyr used as a saying is that the Alaghi and their Umpleby allies are called "the Hairy Folk of the Forest".... it occurs to me that that could extend to all these creatures (bear folk, hybsil, shatjan, kercpa, raccoon people, alaghi, umpleby, etc...).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32857 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  21:15:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's different ways you could do the magic... Give them all cantrips, for one. Or make it so that one gender does cantrips and 1st level arcane spells, and the other gender does orisons and 1st level divine spells. Or let it be random. Maybe 60% of them, both genders, are arcane, 30% are divine, and 10% do both. Or it's 45/45/10. I'm not sure which approach I like better.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

286 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  03:05:09  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On the "great bear fiend" that is the inspiration for "Growling Falls" (which comes from the original City of Gold, and is carried into the Anchorome Campaign Guide).

Here's the original text
The roaring bellow of the 200 foot waterfall, is said by local storytellers to be the growling of an evil bear fiend that once threatened the land. Because the monstrous bear was sired by a god who took animal form, it could not be killed. It was, however, defeated and imprisoned by an ancient hero. The Azuposi call this hero Hinchapa, and he is known to the Dog People as Incholcpa. Each people claim the hero as one of their own.

So, I'm thinking to myself "Who is the Evil Bear Fiend sired by a god who took animal form?". I'm also thinking to myself, man, I've got a bunch of bear stuff going on here too, but none of its evil... but Seethyr had an evil werebear in the Adusgi Forest long ago leading a war of "lyncanthropes against the Hairy Folk of the Forest" until Balduran and his men showed up and turned the tide by killing a bunch of lyncanthropes. So, I'm thinking... hmmm, should conflate these two somehow.

I've come up with 2 ideas, but I'm not sure which I like better. The first is that we mirror the story of Loki and the birth of Sleipnir (the multi-legged horse of Norse myth where Loki take on female horse form to lure away some giant horse from helping its master), and that this evil bear fiend is a child of "Loki"... or rather Valigor the Runt Born Giant in my metahel pantheon. This ticks off the boxes of why it might be evil and adds yet another evil child of Valigor to the world.

Second idea. This one is a little more convoluted, but it may be a better idea. The gist here is that the story of Magnaer, the son of Thoros in the Metahel Pantheon, has him "coming to the aid of Balador the werebear god when he was being attacked by Daragor the werewolf god". Magnaer saves Balador the werebear god and runs off Daragor, BUT he's bitten and infected. However, instead of him getting turned into a wolf, Balador has his daughter, Balanis, infuse her blood with Magnaer and marry him. This purifies Magnaer and gives him a bear form instead. So, how does this apply to "an evil bear fiend born of a god"? Well, what if in being "purged" the remnants... the vestige... of this evil side of Magnaer was split off. Basically think something like Eshowdow and Ubtao. This vestige.. this evil spirit.. that got split off from Magnaer is still around, but now its trapped in the falls. Somehow long ago it was in the Adusgi leading a lyncanthrope war, and maybe Balduran's people trapped the spirit, which led to the "Hairy Folk of the Forest" winning free. Then at some point, it was freed again and came rampaging in the Pasocada Basin, until it was trapped in the falls "by an Azuposi or Dog man hero". This "hero" may have been aided by the spirit of Magnaer (the sane one) who wanted to see his evil side put away again.

Which one works better?

By the way, this "story" could also work with the story of the city of Yapoza, which believed that one of the "war twins" had been coming through destructively in the Pasocada basin and stopped to rest... because my mythology is that Magnaer is one of the "Thunder Twins" (representing Magni and Modi... though the war twins are different names in Azuposi legend). I wouldn't outright conflate this however, as the ideas that the war twins and their father (who is a sky god with control of thunder) match up to the metahel gods Thoros, Moedae, and Magnaer is subject to DM interpretation of the gods and great spirits.

Here's what I actually have written up for the mythology of Magnaer the Bear God (who matches to Magni for those that are Norse fans, or Magnar the Bear for Yuirwood fans)

Magnaer, Lord of Strength, one of the Thunder Twins – Magnaer is noted as being extremely strong and hairy, with great fists and an expertise in wrestling. Magnaer is often portrayed wielding a great club, Guldrasil, made of a limb of the world ash which he acquired while defending his father from demons as Thoros hung helpless. Magnaer tore the limb free in order to remove Thoros as his brother and sister held off the demon hordes. This limb is said to have absorbed the blood of his father Thoros and his grandfather Asagrimmr when both of them hung from the tree to learn of rune magics. This god is noted as having a female bear companion, Balanis, who periodically changes shape into that of a woman. It is rumored that her ability to change shape was a gift bestowed by Magnaer, and he did thereby accept the curse that he himself must periodically wander the world as a bear himself. Other stories say that Magnaer received Balanis as a bride-price for a service performed for another deity known as Father Bear or Balador, having come to Balador's aid when he was attacked by a great werewolf named Daragor. It is said in that story that Magnaer was bitten by Daragor and that Balador changed Magnaer's curse by mixing his blood with that of Balanis during their marriage ceremony. There are stories that these two did birth a race of intelligent bear folk, and nearly anytime the two of them are seen they are followed by three young, inquisitive bear cubs. Unlike his aggressive brother, Moedae, Magnaer is known for simply wanting to relax and eat, but he is always called out by foolish giants and other creatures who seek to best him in combat. He is the son of Yaernsacsa and Thoros.

Man both are really good ideas so pulling out a shiny coin.

k heads, going with 1. :)

As for raccoons as viable pcs, time for some more Canadana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c7m-EhQhFU

:D

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com

Edited by - shades of eternity on 15 Sep 2019 03:08:46
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  08:17:45  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or maybe hengeyokai?

quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

One great related myth was the "piasa bird." Apparently Europeans observed some rock paintings of a creature known as the water panther (mishipeshu) and completely misunderstood the drawings thinking them to be a man-eating bird. One of the explorers wrote an early horror story about this "piasa bird" that scared the crap out of other explorers.

Fun. And points at a good area to use. The "Unreliable Narrator" thing is very much present in Realmslore, so "foreigners had things mixed up terribly, this led to more confusion" is very much in the spirit thereof.

quote:

I like the idea of the hags that are using a flying means to get around, and I really think you have an opening here. Roc though is too "noble".

Which also allows to involve yet another participant. If some djinn heard about this, perhaps they'd want to stop it.
But a head-on attack is not their style, also they are restricted by reluctance to do anything that could harm the roc.
Which adds one or more disguised genies hanging around, plotting against these hags and manipulating the ins to this end.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8542 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  15:21:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Thanks, I still have the original cd somewhere, but where do you get the patches?

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/ex20020218a

Hey, I just realized you had posted this link to where the files were, and I see the update files... and I am installing them now. Just in case I overlook something, did this actually go more than rough outlines into the rest of the world (and did it even show the rest of the world?

Hmm, and apparently it did give basically the scholar's view. Delving more..... oh wow, granted, I know this is 18 years old, but I hadn't realized how much more detail of a look my map I am creating has compared to this FR interactive atlas version. Granted, the power of my PC now versus my PC in 2001 is light years different.

So, my version, I have a LOT more islands off the coast of Anchorome, and I'm making some of them a lot bigger (I've got one island about the size of 25% of the size of Evermeet up near Anchorome's northern leg (maybe a little smaller than Nimbral), and 5 or 6 more that are maybe 10% of the size of Evermeet, and then dozens that are just small, but still bigger than say Zilhatec island near Maztica... so big enough for some micro-civilizations consisting of several small villages). Granted, given the spellplague, I kind of have free rein to do so, since this FR atlas update is pre-spellplague.

BTW, thank you again for this link to this update. I don't think that the version of the FRIA that I had could expand out this far, but I may be wrong. I do note that in comparing it to the scholar's view, there's some slight differences in how some things line up that I do like (mainly, that island east of Katashaka is a little more westerly compared to a north-south line shooting towards Faerun's coastline). For a very high level comparison of what I'm doing versus what was in this, compare the below two pictures.

My version so far
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KrdAGLmWDefDRqaQy0QFp-KQIs4_OF03

a quick overview snip of that section just for comparison
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1l0h0TLxqZOAXUJXznVufcBrZsKJe068H

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 15 Sep 2019 16:14:42
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

286 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  19:10:14  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha looking at the map, there's a real north west passage.

not really as necessary in our world, but probably could be used for something.

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
752 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  23:28:25  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the OP I mentioned a possible update of the first edition adventure UK7 Dark Clouds Gather which was conveniently located on some unnamed world. It’s plot basically had some new creature called the ba’atun (looked like flying monkeys from Oz, but the really savage ones) take over a cloud giants castle and start wreaking havoc with local populations of Aarakocra and humans. The Aarakocra came to warn the humans about the incoming threat but the humans captured and were going to execute the emissary thinking it one of the “demons” that were raiding villages and such.

I’m now one piece of art away from publishing the adventure after having taken only the basic premise, some of the names and Realmsifying it to fit into Anchorome. Once the artist I commissioned finishes a “glassteel golem” image it’s going to be up, but let me talk about how I applied it to Anchorome lore.

The beginning starts similarly, but I have the PCs start in Michaca with some notes if it needs to begin somewhere else. The Guilded Priest of Michaca approaches and “hires” the PCs to check on the pueblo of Nozoma. Nozoma has had a storm lasting for many days above it, and the clouds are simply not moving. Worse yet, a priest of the War Twins has captured a demon. The guilded priest wants the players to investigate and stop any immediate threats to the relative safety of the Pasocada Basin.

At this point it follows pretty close to the original adventure in that an Aarakocra has been captured and the players need to fight a battle to prove its innocence (a trial by arms - something encouraged by the War Twin spirits).

The PCs speak with the rescued Aarakocra who tells them about the baatun. There are no cloud giants this time but rather the flying citadel is actually an aarakocran secret. It is a remnant that has survived from the time of the aearee and the Aarakocra obviously want it back.

Aided by a sunwatcher priest named Asdos, the players realize they can only get through the citadels defenses (built for withstanding dragons) if they find powerful magic to get through the black clouds.

This is where the lore really starts to fit in nicely. In UK7, there was an ancient race of humanity that inhabited the region and a powerful sorcerer named Devral had created a flying vehicle known as the skyfish that is unharmed and unaffected by strong weather. Devral, in this version, is one of the Ancient Ones - humans that had been enslaved by spellweavers and brought out of barbarism in those prehistoric days, only to escape their captors and eventually destroy themselves.

The PCs find the skyfish and target a specific portion of the citadel in order to shut down the defenses. At this point, aarakocran armies attack (wyvern riders, roc riders and all).

I really try to introduce a ton of new aearee lore here, much of which I learned from Gray Richardson’s scrolls. I also get to explore the Ancient Ones and understand a little more of what they behaved like.

Anyway, it’s driving me crazy that the adventure is done and I’m still waiting for artwork! I really want to publish.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8542 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  02:19:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A skyfish….. that's kind of funny to me considering what I was describing the glassteel spelljamming/skyship vessels looking like (with the ability to take down makes and raise a roof and having fluke-like fins at the back). Granted, I was doing those as spellweaver vessels, but they may have copied Aearee vessels or somesuch if what you're talking about looks similar. But looking at a copy of UK7, it would seem to be more of a stingray shape (but then you aren't copying that book). If you did though, it might be interesting if both types of ships were actually copies from batrachi design stolen/adapted by later cultures.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 16 Sep 2019 02:23:33
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

286 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  02:49:44  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I look forward to the sky castle adventure. :)

Question

Is there a badlands like location in Anchorome?

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
752 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  03:40:26  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shades of eternity

I look forward to the sky castle adventure. :)

Question

Is there a badlands like location in

I believe that’s exactly the word that FMQ1 City of Gold used to describe where the thri-kreen live in the Land of the Insect Men.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

286 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  04:10:36  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha that could work.

This is one of the more interesting events in history and love to do a forgotten realm version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_Wars

Two museums essentially went to war over bones and pulled a ton of dirty, dirty shenanigans.

Is it possible to have two foreign necromancers fighting over remains/artifacts that the Thri-kreen are sitting on (possibly from one of those ancient civilizations).

Edited by - shades of eternity on 16 Sep 2019 04:34:52
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8542 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  12:37:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ha that could work.

This is one of the more interesting events in history and love to do a forgotten realm version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_Wars

Two museums essentially went to war over bones and pulled a ton of dirty, dirty shenanigans.

Is it possible to have two foreign necromancers fighting over remains/artifacts that the Thri-kreen are sitting on (possibly from one of those ancient civilizations).

If the necromancers in question were looking for a means to find say spellweaver remains and then raise up said spellweavers to get their secrets from them, I could see it. One thing I would recommend in this situation would be that these spellweavers not even be from the same cultures though, so as to not too closely mirror our real world. The one thing I'd say we really need to be wary of is mirroring our real world too much. That's why people got turned off by Maztica, and its also one of the reasons if you listen to Ed that he won't embrace Kara-Tur or Maztica, but he will embrace Zakhara. In saying that, I'm not saying that's what I'm seeing happening, I'm just wanting to point out that its something that needs to stay in our heads.

When it comes to the idea of necromancers digging into ruins for spellweaver lore, look into what Seethyr is doing with the land of the insect men already. Jergal has some involvement. I would recommend introducing the Nagpa (as seen in Mord's Tome of Foes) into Anchorome as well (noting, I would personally have the Nagpa as having found ways of "reproducing".... as in making simulacrum of itself, occupying the bodies of others from afar, possibly riding the body of dead things, etc... Also possibly they've more literally found a way to spawn, via uncovering Aearee lore. Thus, there may be this Nagpa that found a way to mate with an Aearee, and thus there are lesser versions of Nagpa running around. To note, I'm not trying to mix up this Nagpa with the idea of a "skeksi like Aearee", as the Nagpa are decided vulture looking … whereas the Skeksi look more of a dragon/vulture hybrid.

Oh, and the reason I mention the Nagpa is because of their curse

Looters of Civilization. The curse the Raven Queen placed on the nagpas restricts the ways in which they can acquire new lore and magical power, barring them from any source except for the ruins left behind from fallen civilizations and great calamities . For this reason, nagpas turn their efforts to bringing a bout such ends, so they can loot the libraries, plunder the vaults, and gather up secrets of arcane lore from the wreckage.

Note, involving the "Raven Queen" in Anchorome long ago is something that we should think through. I say this because we have some interesting things going on regarding Ravens. We have the Great Raven Spirit. We have Shakak, the spirit of Winter, who is related to magpies and a link to ravens. When one looks at the Raven Queen, she was a goddess of winter with ties to ravens. One could say that Shakak IS the Raven Queen, but I feel that's a bit of a cop out. I'd more prefer it that Shakak once loved the raven queen and they had a falling out.

Now, who is Shakak? Part of me would like to equate him to Ulutiu, because it would fit. Part of me would like to equate him to being a totally independent great spirit or primordial entity. However, what if Shakak and Tarsellis Meunniduin are related? Tarsellis is noted as having long ago allied with a fey goddess who betrayed him named Megwandir (who some believe was Lolth, but the original article specifically calls this into question).

If we did this concept, I would very much recommend building on the idea that Markustay had come up with a few years back of "the regalia of winter" and the Queen of Air And Darkness. To put it succinctly, the idea here is that the Queen of Air and Darkness put forth items that "turn" beings to serve her. Thus, there is an equating more than one goddess to the QoA&D (which may be why her throne is seen as a vast empty space filled with malevolence). Auril may be one aspect. So might the raven queen. So might Ereshkigal. So might Hela. So might Shar. In the same breath, it may also affect men as well. One might be able to overcome this darkness. Thus, the necklace that Ulutiu wears may be a similar thing.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
752 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  02:15:55  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tried to take your ideas on the earthmote and apply a lot of what you wanted to into its story in a cohesive whole. I am thinking of making it just an encounter setting with some possible adventure hooks, but I can't really tell if it is working. The working title is the "Twisted Sky Forest." This is what I have written about the backstory so far...

quote:

Origin of a Floating Wood

While earthmotes may have become a common sight in the days and years immediately following the Spellplague, they have existed for a far longer time than just the past century.

Earthmotes have a variety of origins and the story of the Skyforest is one of the most ancient. The mote itself is all that remains of one of the fabled flying forests of the aearee creator race.

Over 30,000 years ago, aearee druids learned to mix powerful rune magic with silviculture (the art and science of growing trees) in order to raise their forests high above the world. Though it’s original name is lost to time, the Skyforest was once one of these great forests. At the time it was far grander in size, because after tens of thousands of years of history, wars and world shaking events, great dearths of the mote have been ripped from the sky. Now, the floating island stands only at roughly two miles wide. It is still an impressive sight when its shadow passes over, but it is nothing like the great forests of the Days of Thunder.

It is believed that it was during the first Rage of Dragons that its avian inhabitants were destroyed and there is no knowledge of its location or ownership for thousands of years afterward. Likely, the dragons themselves resided upon their conquered earthmote. The cloud giantess Taaganti of Beddingmark Mountain tells stories of her people’s battles against dragons and the tales describe a lair much like the Skyforest. The dragons used the floating island as a staging ground for attacks against the giants’ own floating castles. This strategic positioning countered the advantage of mobility and perspective held by the children of Annam in their war of attrition.

After the Thousand Year War of Ostoria, the Skystone was abandoned and wandered slowly and aimlessly for many centuries. It flew to distant shores until it once again became occupied. This time, in what might have been the early days of of the Land of Fate, a nest of two-headed rocs made the Skyforest their home.

The rocs roosted in the titanic trees that had somehow withstood the millennia and at least a half dozen successive generations of the massive birds used it to breed and stage hunts in surrounding lands. The rocs were incapable of directing the earthmote’s movements however, and chance eventually led the earthmote to regions too far north for the rocs’ comfort. Once again it was abandoned.

The elves of the frozen north who were the forebears of the Poscadari were the next to observe the floating island. They had no means nor desire to approach it, yet they wrote of its appearance. The snow elves marveled at the blotting out of the sun that lasted for weeks as the earthmote lazily drifted by. Despite the frozen climate, the trees managed to survive and the few pines actually thrived.

Eventually the Skyforest drifted southward once again until it was found by exploring arcanists from the Empire of Netheril. A floating island was surprising to the arcanists because in their arrogance, they truly believed that only their empire had conceived of such magic. The Netherese investigated and briefly settled upon the flying island only to be slain by the Great Snail Dragon, Kci Athussos during one of his awakenings.

Beside their corpses, the Great Beast laid dozens of eggs and to this day it’s spawn, the dreaded wiwilomeq snail infests the forest and its gargantuan trees. It was rumored that the Snail Dragon itself spent one of its longest hibernations here upon the mote alongside dozens of its spawn.

While Kci Athussos eventually moved on, many of his spawn remained behind. Perhaps it is part of their physiology, or perhaps the magic of the earthmote has somehow seeped into their being, but the original snails remain today. Efforts to eradicate them have always met with failure.

Now where am I going with this? Well, tbh I am not entirely sure. I was planning on writing a recent part of the history where alaghi weave massive ropes from the hair of their umpleby allies and tie down the floating island above the Adusgi Forest. These alaghi are eventually corrupted by two hag sisters (new annis-like hags from Native American myth known as Hisshishtawia) until they become shampe (an evil cannibalistic bigfoot like creature, again from myth).

I got a hold of some awesome maps that I am allowed to use and have been wanting to for some time - a giant empty skull-like structure, and a similarly built stone hand. I figured one could work for each sister (who I named Chilam (Snowbird) and the younger Chimalis (Bluebird)).

Is this getting too absurd?

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 17 Sep 2019 02:16:30
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

286 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  02:43:39  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If we did this concept, I would very much recommend building on the idea that Markustay had come up with a few years back of "the regalia of winter" and the Queen of Air And Darkness. To put it succinctly, the idea here is that the Queen of Air and Darkness put forth items that "turn" beings to serve her. Thus, there is an equating more than one goddess to the QoA&D (which may be why her throne is seen as a vast empty space filled with malevolence). Auril may be one aspect. So might the raven queen. So might Ereshkigal. So might Hela. So might Shar. In the same breath, it may also affect men as well. One might be able to overcome this darkness. Thus, the necklace that Ulutiu wears may be a similar thing.

We can go with Nagpa as the underruins, where a Halruaan and a Thayan necromancer fight over the remains and curse gives it a real "the Mummy" feel.

I completely approve with the concept and really enjoy your expansion.

quote:

Now where am I going with this? Well, tbh I am not entirely sure. I was planning on writing a recent part of the history where alaghi weave massive ropes from the hair of their umpleby allies and tie down the floating island above the Adusgi Forest. These alaghi are eventually corrupted by two hag sisters (new annis-like hags from Native American myth known as Hisshishtawia) until they become shampe (an evil cannibalistic bigfoot like creature, again from myth).

I got a hold of some awesome maps that I am allowed to use and have been wanting to for some time - a giant empty skull-like structure, and a similarly built stone hand. I figured one could work for each sister (who I named Chilam (Snowbird) and the younger Chimalis (Bluebird)).

Is this getting too absurd?

You're asking the wrong person. I feed off absurdity as shown by pretty much the majority of my material.

You managed to write in a snail dragon. :D

it sounds fantastic. :)

Edited by - shades of eternity on 17 Sep 2019 02:46:27
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1023 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  03:36:51  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YMMV, but I always saw Eresh and Nergal as deities just doing their job and not really being Cackles von Babyeater. Admittedly, this is probably due to the mythical deities being stars of an ancient romantic comedy.

Ea: "Kay, while you're in the underworld, don't eat, drink, bathe, or bang Ereshkigal, and you're good to go."
Nergal: "Is that all? Sounds easy."

*in the underworld*

Nergal: "Helloooooo hotness!"
Ereshkigal: "Namtar, cancel all my appointments for the next week."

*in Heaven*

Ea: "GODDAMMIT NERGAL!"

Edited by - LordofBones on 17 Sep 2019 03:37:10
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8542 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  14:28:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

YMMV, but I always saw Eresh and Nergal as deities just doing their job and not really being Cackles von Babyeater. Admittedly, this is probably due to the mythical deities being stars of an ancient romantic comedy.

Ea: "Kay, while you're in the underworld, don't eat, drink, bathe, or bang Ereshkigal, and you're good to go."
Nergal: "Is that all? Sounds easy."

*in the underworld*

Nergal: "Helloooooo hotness!"
Ereshkigal: "Namtar, cancel all my appointments for the next week."

*in Heaven*

Ea: "GODDAMMIT NERGAL!"

Same, except they're power hungry and would be willing to say burn up your soul for energy. I don't see them as ghoulish.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

286 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  23:53:17  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
K what other areas would be amusing to tweak?

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
752 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2019 :  00:33:39  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

K what other areas would be amusing to tweak?

I’m really trying to tweak the NW portion of the continent making it a last refuge of the aearee, ergo my 9999 posts about them. The research is far more extensive than I initially realized.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 19 Sep 2019 00:34:05
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
752 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2019 :  01:28:16  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought and literally gobbled up Descent Into Avernus. This was honesty the most enjoyable adventure I have read in 5e so far. Perhaps it’s because it reminded me of the old days of Planeacape, but really it was an awesome read. To play? Don’t know yet.

Anyway, the brain started having random synapses firing again and they tied into Anchorome as usual.

Baldur’s Gate is featured heavily in Descent. Fort Flame was founded by the Flaming Fist canonically. Once again canonically the Spirit Realm of Anchorome (as mentioned in City of Gold) touches on the myriad planes as if it has a region of each.

Do you think it might be a good idea to work out an Avernus side trek that enters the Spirit Realm? I’m afraid to spoil the adventure here so I won’t mention more, but can anyone who has read it see a connection?

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

286 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2019 :  23:29:05  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do like that idea and it's not like Baldur's gate doesn't have a connection to tracking east.

the real question is the spirit realm more like the shadowveil.

then again the blood war does get pretty much everywhere. :p

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
752 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2019 :  20:43:59  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I do like that idea and it's not like Baldur's gate doesn't have a connection to tracking east.

the real question is the spirit realm more like the shadowveil.

then again the blood war does get pretty much everywhere. :p

The way I see it, and really going by 2e lore (particularly Planescape), the Spirit Realm would just be a collective name for the regions on each outer plane that correspond to the dead of Anchorome. Let it touch Avernus, Celestia, Mechanus, etc but make it more appropriate for the Anchorome setting. I’ve progressed a bit with the side trek and gave this region the name “Blood Sands” for reasons you’ll see when it’s done. Part of the threat will be infernal bullettes though.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8542 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2019 :  22:46:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea from the Player's Guide to Faerun for the Spirit World as applied to Kara-Tur (from the 3e manual of the planes), and it specifically has the Maztican deities working differently. I can definitely see a kinship between Kara-Tur and Anchorome, and I wouldn't be surprised if the two shared the "spirit world". For that matter, I wouldn't be surprised if Osse and Katashaka also shared such. In a nutshell, you go to the ethereal to reach the spirit world, and it "mirrors" the real world. At the same time, the spirit world works kind of like the astral because you can also use it to reach outer planes as well. I then like that certain individuals have "the sight" and can actually see both the spirit world and the prime material at the same time (these would be people like spirit shamans seeing through the eyes of a spirit to see onto the spirit world)…. one superimposed over the other. At one time me and BadCatMan were discussing this idea in Kara-Tur where some people look up into the sky and they SEE the celestial heavens as if they float above their land, and people from outside consider these people "insane".

From PGtF 3.5
THE SPIRIT WORLD
The Spirit World described in the Appendix in Manual of the Planes is coexistent with and coterminous to the Material Plane, but only in Kara-Tur. Each deity of Kara-Tur’s Celestial Bureaucracy has a small realm attached to the Spirit World. Because it is a transitive plane, the Spirit World replaces the Astral Plane in Kara-Tur.

Maztican Planes
The Astral Plane of Maztica connects to the planes of the Maztican deities. These planes can be visualized as many planar layers stacked both above and below the earth.
Each celestial layer is the home of a deity and a sacred bird; each underworld layer is a challenge for the souls of the dead, who must progress all the way to the bottom layer to find their eternal peace. These planes are populated by outsiders as well as deities

from 3e manual of the planes
Spirit World
The Spirit World is a realm brought into sharp focus. Colors are brighter, sounds more distinct, and every sense is more keenly aware of its surroundings. Some of its
denizens say that the Material Plane is just a pale reflection of the Spirit World's vibrancy. It is a dimension of ultimates.

The Spirit World is pan of a cosmology radically different from the Great Wheel. In this cosmology, there are spirits for everything, from the greatest mountain to
the smallest flower, as well as spirits of ancestors and objects long passed into history. The Spirit World is the plane where the spirits of all things, living and unliving, make their homes.

The Spirit World is a Transitive Plane that replaces the Astral Plane of the D&D cosmology. Unlike that plane, the Spirit World is both coexistent with and coterminous
to the Material Plane, matching its terrain. A valley in the Spirit World corresponds to a valley on the Material Plane, and where there is a waterfall in one, there is a waterfall in the other. In the case of the Spirit World, however, the waterfall is higher, its water more pure, and its sound more pleasing than that of its equivalent on the Material Plane. The Spirit World's waterfall would likely be the home of a water elemental that serves as the spirit of the waterfall.

Living creatures and their structures, from beaver dams to palaces, do not necessarily have direct analogs. However, where a citadel stands on the Material Plane, a similar citadel (though greater and stronger) may stand in the Spirit World, occupied by the spirits of revered ancestors of the Material Plane citadel's ruler.

<snip the rules section on planar traits>

SPIRIT WORLD LINKS
The Spirit World is coexistent with the Material Plane, and movement on one is equal to movement on the other. A traveler who enters the Spirit World, walks three miles north, and then returns to the Material Plane is three miles north of the walk's starting point.

Travelers reach the Spirit World through the Ethereal Plane, which forms a border region between the Material plane and the Spirit World. A character on the Ethereal Plane can see onto both the Material Plane and the Spirit World: the Material Plane clearly and the Spirit World as a faint echo. By concentrating on the echo, a traveler can move to the far side of the Ethereal Plane and enter the Spirit World. Because the Spirit World replaces the Astral Plane, spells that allow access to the Astral Plane use the Spirit World instead. The Plane of Shadow does not connect to the Spirit World, so spells that use the Plane of Shadow do not function in the Spirit World.

The Spirit World leads to other planes, in particular the homes of whatever great powers oversee the operation of the known universe. A traveler through the Spirit World finds portals to the great palaces of these deities, as well as unique heavens and hells. A traveler seeking the Duke of Storms, for example, would find a portal to his palace occupying the same general location as storm-wracked peaks on the Material Plane.
SPIRIT WORLD INHABITANTS
The Spirit World is home to a variety of creatures, including fey, elementals, undead, outsiders, and dragons. Those with access to the plane shift spell visit the Material Planeunder their own power, and spellcasters use summoning spells to bring other Spirit World creatures to the Material Plane. Still other Spirit World creatures find natural portals between the planes.
FEATURES OF THE SPIRIT WORLD
Settled areas of the Material Plane are particularly dangerous in the Spirit World, because these places are where the spirits of ancestors dwell. These spirits are extremely protective of their descendants; an assassin who pops into the Spirit World to infiltrate a local duke's reception hall will be confronted by one or more ghosts of the duke's predecessors. This is one reason that rulers live in the same palace for generations: They enjoy the protection of their ancestors.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
752 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2019 :  23:50:40  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrmmm. I really like that version better considering it is “different.” It does contradict what was said in a number of actual 2e products. I’m still at work so I don’t have my materials at the moment, but paraphrasing lore I have used, the Maztican pantheon and afterlife was set upon a “Great Pyramid” and all petitioners (as they were called at the time) arrived in a temple and were guided along directions on the pyramid that corresponded with their alignment. There was a big graphic for it from my memory. It also claimed that each of those directions were part of the outer planes (like Hell, etc) and while they all had names of their own (Xibalba for instance), they were really just regions of the official outer planes.

It’s funny, I fought that concept tooth and nail because I sooooo wanted Maztica to be different. However, I’ve come around to it being connected because I believe 5e is treating the planes more like it did in 2e. Once again, “it’s all connected.”

To be honest, the discussion is not terribly important - you could always explain away connections with portals or somesuch, but I’m starting to like thought of Mazticans having their own part of Avernus (which they might call Xibalba or whatever) and the inhabitants can interact with others elsewhere on the plane. It just shouldn’t be too easy because that would dilute the ability to highlight specific cultures.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8542 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2019 :  17:01:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hrmmm. I really like that version better considering it is “different.” It does contradict what was said in a number of actual 2e products. I’m still at work so I don’t have my materials at the moment, but paraphrasing lore I have used, the Maztican pantheon and afterlife was set upon a “Great Pyramid” and all petitioners (as they were called at the time) arrived in a temple and were guided along directions on the pyramid that corresponded with their alignment. There was a big graphic for it from my memory. It also claimed that each of those directions were part of the outer planes (like Hell, etc) and while they all had names of their own (Xibalba for instance), they were really just regions of the official outer planes.

It’s funny, I fought that concept tooth and nail because I sooooo wanted Maztica to be different. However, I’ve come around to it being connected because I believe 5e is treating the planes more like it did in 2e. Once again, “it’s all connected.”

To be honest, the discussion is not terribly important - you could always explain away connections with portals or somesuch, but I’m starting to like thought of Mazticans having their own part of Avernus (which they might call Xibalba or whatever) and the inhabitants can interact with others elsewhere on the plane. It just shouldn’t be too easy because that would dilute the ability to highlight specific cultures.

As to how Maztican deities realms "connect", I'm less concerned as you say. I see them as having something like the traditional outer planar connections. I personally like them having their own domain, but that domain may also have connections to other domains/planes.

The main thing I like though is the concept of the spirit world being an "overlay" or "coterminous" with the material. I also find it an interesting idea that "only certain areas" of Toril are copied into the spirit realm (i.e. Kara-Tur, Anchorome, etc...), such that it means there's "something different" about these sections of land... kind of like how Rashemen is "different". I really like the idea though that some folks can see both at the same time. From a story telling standpoint, it makes it interesting if someone is looking at a tree and sees a tree... but their neighbor sees the tree AND the fact that on the spirit world its a treant or a dryad or is occupied by ghostly birds, etc....

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
752 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2019 :  20:12:36  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The main thing I like though is the concept of the spirit world being an "overlay" or "coterminous" with the material. I also find it an interesting idea that "only certain areas" of Toril are copied into the spirit realm (i.e. Kara-Tur, Anchorome, etc...), such that it means there's "something different" about these sections of land... kind of like how Rashemen is "different". I really like the idea though that some folks can see both at the same time. From a story telling standpoint, it makes it interesting if someone is looking at a tree and sees a tree... but their neighbor sees the tree AND the fact that on the spirit world its a treant or a dryad or is occupied by ghostly birds, etc....

Do you think that "sight" could be explained by vision into the Beastlands though? It would have to reintroduce that concept of coterminous into the 5e lore, which isn't quite there yet.

They really need to get on this Planescape update thing. I hope Descent sells well enough that WotC realizes there is a clamor for it. Is there?

<side note, I responded to your email, sorry it took so long!>

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 27 Sep 2019 20:13:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000