Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Brainstorming Anchorome
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  14:28:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

YMMV, but I always saw Eresh and Nergal as deities just doing their job and not really being Cackles von Babyeater. Admittedly, this is probably due to the mythical deities being stars of an ancient romantic comedy.

Ea: "Kay, while you're in the underworld, don't eat, drink, bathe, or bang Ereshkigal, and you're good to go."
Nergal: "Is that all? Sounds easy."

*in the underworld*

Nergal: "Helloooooo hotness!"
Ereshkigal: "Namtar, cancel all my appointments for the next week."

*in Heaven*

Ea: "GODDAMMIT NERGAL!"

Same, except they're power hungry and would be willing to say burn up your soul for energy. I don't see them as ghoulish.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  23:53:17  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
K what other areas would be amusing to tweak?

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2019 :  00:33:39  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shades of eternity

K what other areas would be amusing to tweak?

I’m really trying to tweak the NW portion of the continent making it a last refuge of the aearee, ergo my 9999 posts about them. The research is far more extensive than I initially realized.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 19 Sep 2019 00:34:05
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2019 :  01:28:16  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought and literally gobbled up Descent Into Avernus. This was honesty the most enjoyable adventure I have read in 5e so far. Perhaps it’s because it reminded me of the old days of Planeacape, but really it was an awesome read. To play? Don’t know yet.

Anyway, the brain started having random synapses firing again and they tied into Anchorome as usual.

Baldur’s Gate is featured heavily in Descent. Fort Flame was founded by the Flaming Fist canonically. Once again canonically the Spirit Realm of Anchorome (as mentioned in City of Gold) touches on the myriad planes as if it has a region of each.

Do you think it might be a good idea to work out an Avernus side trek that enters the Spirit Realm? I’m afraid to spoil the adventure here so I won’t mention more, but can anyone who has read it see a connection?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2019 :  23:29:05  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do like that idea and it's not like Baldur's gate doesn't have a connection to tracking east.

the real question is the spirit realm more like the shadowveil.

then again the blood war does get pretty much everywhere. :p

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2019 :  20:43:59  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I do like that idea and it's not like Baldur's gate doesn't have a connection to tracking east.

the real question is the spirit realm more like the shadowveil.

then again the blood war does get pretty much everywhere. :p

The way I see it, and really going by 2e lore (particularly Planescape), the Spirit Realm would just be a collective name for the regions on each outer plane that correspond to the dead of Anchorome. Let it touch Avernus, Celestia, Mechanus, etc but make it more appropriate for the Anchorome setting. I’ve progressed a bit with the side trek and gave this region the name “Blood Sands” for reasons you’ll see when it’s done. Part of the threat will be infernal bullettes though.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2019 :  22:46:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea from the Player's Guide to Faerun for the Spirit World as applied to Kara-Tur (from the 3e manual of the planes), and it specifically has the Maztican deities working differently. I can definitely see a kinship between Kara-Tur and Anchorome, and I wouldn't be surprised if the two shared the "spirit world". For that matter, I wouldn't be surprised if Osse and Katashaka also shared such. In a nutshell, you go to the ethereal to reach the spirit world, and it "mirrors" the real world. At the same time, the spirit world works kind of like the astral because you can also use it to reach outer planes as well. I then like that certain individuals have "the sight" and can actually see both the spirit world and the prime material at the same time (these would be people like spirit shamans seeing through the eyes of a spirit to see onto the spirit world)…. one superimposed over the other. At one time me and BadCatMan were discussing this idea in Kara-Tur where some people look up into the sky and they SEE the celestial heavens as if they float above their land, and people from outside consider these people "insane".

From PGtF 3.5
THE SPIRIT WORLD
The Spirit World described in the Appendix in Manual of the Planes is coexistent with and coterminous to the Material Plane, but only in Kara-Tur. Each deity of Kara-Tur’s Celestial Bureaucracy has a small realm attached to the Spirit World. Because it is a transitive plane, the Spirit World replaces the Astral Plane in Kara-Tur.

Maztican Planes
The Astral Plane of Maztica connects to the planes of the Maztican deities. These planes can be visualized as many planar layers stacked both above and below the earth.
Each celestial layer is the home of a deity and a sacred bird; each underworld layer is a challenge for the souls of the dead, who must progress all the way to the bottom layer to find their eternal peace. These planes are populated by outsiders as well as deities

from 3e manual of the planes
Spirit World
The Spirit World is a realm brought into sharp focus. Colors are brighter, sounds more distinct, and every sense is more keenly aware of its surroundings. Some of its
denizens say that the Material Plane is just a pale reflection of the Spirit World's vibrancy. It is a dimension of ultimates.

The Spirit World is pan of a cosmology radically different from the Great Wheel. In this cosmology, there are spirits for everything, from the greatest mountain to
the smallest flower, as well as spirits of ancestors and objects long passed into history. The Spirit World is the plane where the spirits of all things, living and unliving, make their homes.

The Spirit World is a Transitive Plane that replaces the Astral Plane of the D&D cosmology. Unlike that plane, the Spirit World is both coexistent with and coterminous
to the Material Plane, matching its terrain. A valley in the Spirit World corresponds to a valley on the Material Plane, and where there is a waterfall in one, there is a waterfall in the other. In the case of the Spirit World, however, the waterfall is higher, its water more pure, and its sound more pleasing than that of its equivalent on the Material Plane. The Spirit World's waterfall would likely be the home of a water elemental that serves as the spirit of the waterfall.

Living creatures and their structures, from beaver dams to palaces, do not necessarily have direct analogs. However, where a citadel stands on the Material Plane, a similar citadel (though greater and stronger) may stand in the Spirit World, occupied by the spirits of revered ancestors of the Material Plane citadel's ruler.

<snip the rules section on planar traits>

SPIRIT WORLD LINKS
The Spirit World is coexistent with the Material Plane, and movement on one is equal to movement on the other. A traveler who enters the Spirit World, walks three miles north, and then returns to the Material Plane is three miles north of the walk's starting point.

Travelers reach the Spirit World through the Ethereal Plane, which forms a border region between the Material plane and the Spirit World. A character on the Ethereal Plane can see onto both the Material Plane and the Spirit World: the Material Plane clearly and the Spirit World as a faint echo. By concentrating on the echo, a traveler can move to the far side of the Ethereal Plane and enter the Spirit World. Because the Spirit World replaces the Astral Plane, spells that allow access to the Astral Plane use the Spirit World instead. The Plane of Shadow does not connect to the Spirit World, so spells that use the Plane of Shadow do not function in the Spirit World.

The Spirit World leads to other planes, in particular the homes of whatever great powers oversee the operation of the known universe. A traveler through the Spirit World finds portals to the great palaces of these deities, as well as unique heavens and hells. A traveler seeking the Duke of Storms, for example, would find a portal to his palace occupying the same general location as storm-wracked peaks on the Material Plane.
SPIRIT WORLD INHABITANTS
The Spirit World is home to a variety of creatures, including fey, elementals, undead, outsiders, and dragons. Those with access to the plane shift spell visit the Material Planeunder their own power, and spellcasters use summoning spells to bring other Spirit World creatures to the Material Plane. Still other Spirit World creatures find natural portals between the planes.
FEATURES OF THE SPIRIT WORLD
Settled areas of the Material Plane are particularly dangerous in the Spirit World, because these places are where the spirits of ancestors dwell. These spirits are extremely protective of their descendants; an assassin who pops into the Spirit World to infiltrate a local duke's reception hall will be confronted by one or more ghosts of the duke's predecessors. This is one reason that rulers live in the same palace for generations: They enjoy the protection of their ancestors.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2019 :  23:50:40  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrmmm. I really like that version better considering it is “different.” It does contradict what was said in a number of actual 2e products. I’m still at work so I don’t have my materials at the moment, but paraphrasing lore I have used, the Maztican pantheon and afterlife was set upon a “Great Pyramid” and all petitioners (as they were called at the time) arrived in a temple and were guided along directions on the pyramid that corresponded with their alignment. There was a big graphic for it from my memory. It also claimed that each of those directions were part of the outer planes (like Hell, etc) and while they all had names of their own (Xibalba for instance), they were really just regions of the official outer planes.

It’s funny, I fought that concept tooth and nail because I sooooo wanted Maztica to be different. However, I’ve come around to it being connected because I believe 5e is treating the planes more like it did in 2e. Once again, “it’s all connected.”

To be honest, the discussion is not terribly important - you could always explain away connections with portals or somesuch, but I’m starting to like thought of Mazticans having their own part of Avernus (which they might call Xibalba or whatever) and the inhabitants can interact with others elsewhere on the plane. It just shouldn’t be too easy because that would dilute the ability to highlight specific cultures.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2019 :  17:01:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Hrmmm. I really like that version better considering it is “different.” It does contradict what was said in a number of actual 2e products. I’m still at work so I don’t have my materials at the moment, but paraphrasing lore I have used, the Maztican pantheon and afterlife was set upon a “Great Pyramid” and all petitioners (as they were called at the time) arrived in a temple and were guided along directions on the pyramid that corresponded with their alignment. There was a big graphic for it from my memory. It also claimed that each of those directions were part of the outer planes (like Hell, etc) and while they all had names of their own (Xibalba for instance), they were really just regions of the official outer planes.

It’s funny, I fought that concept tooth and nail because I sooooo wanted Maztica to be different. However, I’ve come around to it being connected because I believe 5e is treating the planes more like it did in 2e. Once again, “it’s all connected.”

To be honest, the discussion is not terribly important - you could always explain away connections with portals or somesuch, but I’m starting to like thought of Mazticans having their own part of Avernus (which they might call Xibalba or whatever) and the inhabitants can interact with others elsewhere on the plane. It just shouldn’t be too easy because that would dilute the ability to highlight specific cultures.

As to how Maztican deities realms "connect", I'm less concerned as you say. I see them as having something like the traditional outer planar connections. I personally like them having their own domain, but that domain may also have connections to other domains/planes.

The main thing I like though is the concept of the spirit world being an "overlay" or "coterminous" with the material. I also find it an interesting idea that "only certain areas" of Toril are copied into the spirit realm (i.e. Kara-Tur, Anchorome, etc...), such that it means there's "something different" about these sections of land... kind of like how Rashemen is "different". I really like the idea though that some folks can see both at the same time. From a story telling standpoint, it makes it interesting if someone is looking at a tree and sees a tree... but their neighbor sees the tree AND the fact that on the spirit world its a treant or a dryad or is occupied by ghostly birds, etc....

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2019 :  20:12:36  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

The main thing I like though is the concept of the spirit world being an "overlay" or "coterminous" with the material. I also find it an interesting idea that "only certain areas" of Toril are copied into the spirit realm (i.e. Kara-Tur, Anchorome, etc...), such that it means there's "something different" about these sections of land... kind of like how Rashemen is "different". I really like the idea though that some folks can see both at the same time. From a story telling standpoint, it makes it interesting if someone is looking at a tree and sees a tree... but their neighbor sees the tree AND the fact that on the spirit world its a treant or a dryad or is occupied by ghostly birds, etc....

Do you think that "sight" could be explained by vision into the Beastlands though? It would have to reintroduce that concept of coterminous into the 5e lore, which isn't quite there yet.

They really need to get on this Planescape update thing. I hope Descent sells well enough that WotC realizes there is a clamor for it. Is there?

<side note, I responded to your email, sorry it took so long!>

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 27 Sep 2019 20:13:33
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2019 :  14:38:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Do you think that "sight" could be explained by vision into the Beastlands though? It would have to reintroduce that concept of coterminous into the 5e lore, which isn't quite there yet.

They really need to get on this Planescape update thing. I hope Descent sells well enough that WotC realizes there is a clamor for it. Is there?

<side note, I responded to your email, sorry it took so long!>

Oh, thanks for the heads up, I'll go read it after I check around here.

As to the spirit world and beastlands being the same... I would probably recommend equating them just like the idea of the "border ethereal" and "deep ethereal" used to be. Or similar to how the "realm of shadow" in Birthright mirrored the real world BUT it could be used in theory to get to other worlds. In essence, there's the spirit world which is "coterminous" and then if you use it you can cross into the beastlands, the feywild, arvandor, and yes even the shadowfell, etc... without even noticing that you have crossed a planar boundary. Some of this travel may even involve the person's mood more than actual "travel"..... they traverse to the spirit world, but they're feeling really gloomy, they go to sleep having nightmares, and they find when they wake that they've traversed to the shadowfell in an area that LOOKS very much like the place they stopped, but its somehow different.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2019 :  15:15:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back to Brainstorming.

Giant and Dire Jackalopes - said by the Minnenewah to be a present by Epona to the people's of Anchorome, but also prized by the Metahel who claim that Sifya the War Mother created these creatures as mounts in their homeland to the west. The folk of Faerun point to both of these things, and the fact that the symbol of the red knight is a horse, to state that these entities are the same being as that goddess. These medium and large size jack rabbits come in colors ranging from white, black, brown, and dappled. They sport giant sets of antlers similar to a deer's, which they use effectively to defend themselves from other predators. Thankfully these creatures do not breed near as rapidly as their smaller kin, for they have a voracious appetite for leaves and other greenery. In fact, these creatures, along with the giant beaver population, are perhaps one of the main reasons that the Kaaya'yeeda is not overgrown with forest. Many communities actually keep one or more of these creatures as a pet because of their appetites, using them to denude freshly chopped trees of leaves, small limbs, and bark before cutting it into lumber (for which many communities use giant beaver teeth in crude sawing/milling operations for wood). When times are lean or the creature begins to get older or their young begin to come of age, these creatures are slaughtered for their meat, hide, teeth, antlers, and various other bodily parts. Dire Jackalope leg tendons in particular are exceptionally resilient and springy, being somewhat equivalent to thick bands of rubber, and are cured and used by tribes in primitive manufacturing. The Poscadari elves, half-elves of the Pagunkee Forest, short ones, and raccoon folk (did we ever come up with a name for them?) in particular consider these creatures prized mounts, and having one is seen as a point of pride amongst their communities. Though perhaps one of the most common of the large inhabitants of the kaaya'yeeda, they are also one of the most hunted by their fellow creatures, and thus their populations are often swelling and then being reduced by the sabretooth cats and other similar predators of the region.

So, what's some ideas of "powers" that we might give these creatures? I'm tempted to give them the ability to teleport short distances, but the al-mi'raj in previous editions of D&D had that ability, and I'd like these to be something more than "giant versions of al-Mi'raj with deer horns instead of unicorn horns". The idea of giving them displacement is one that occurs to me. The ability to automatically enact the "jump" spell as a bonus action (or just giving them some ability to jump far that's written up). Perhaps making them really fast. Perhaps giving them the ability to turn invisible a certain number of times per day? Maybe instead of having two versions (giant and dire) they possess the natural ability to cast enlarge/reduce and maintain the size change without worrying about spell duration (so maybe they are size medium, but can become large or small?).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2019 :  15:54:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jackrabbits can be really fast... Maybe a haste ability, usable 3 times a day? Or, emphasizing their "get the heck out of Dodge quickly" nature, give them something like the ability to dimension door or go ethereal.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2019 :  20:07:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Jackrabbits can be really fast... Maybe a haste ability, usable 3 times a day? Or, emphasizing their "get the heck out of Dodge quickly" nature, give them something like the ability to dimension door or go ethereal.

dimension door, nah, that's what the al-mi'raj did... but ethereal....maybe same thing, but different.... maybe the ability to cross into the spirit realm? That could make them interesting mounts for people, as maybe they can carry a rider with them. It would open up the possibility of having a campaign that crosses the boundaries between this world and the spirit world without have to have a relatively high level caster. Even non-casters would have a way to traverse to the spirit world and do things. Also, maybe they have an ability similar to the blink spell of 3rd edition wherein they are passing in and out of the spirit world and thus 50% chance that when you hit them it doesn't affect them (and maybe make it that they're so used to this that they know how to time their hits such that its only say a 20% chance that their own hits fail).

EDIT: Oh wait, that's copying too much the same thing Seethyr's doing with his spirit horses (Nic'epona) which can plane shift to the spirit realms with a rider. Still, maybe they can go to the spirit realm without carrying anyone else as a defense (i.e. themselves only). Open to other ideas still. Or just back to the enlarge/reduce idea and have them escaping creatures by going into holes that they couldn't possibly fit in, etc... plus naturally fast movement speed of like 60 or more. Maybe naturally size medium with the ability to go large or small. Hmmm, maybe a natural ability to cast mirror image as a reaction (i.e. they multiply like rabbits!).

Maybe some of them have an ability to cast "rabbit hole"... essentially creating a "rope trick" without a rope, such that they have an extradimensional space that they can retreat to for maybe an hour a day. So, maybe that same idea of "going elsewhere", but its not the spirit realm.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 28 Sep 2019 23:48:58
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2019 :  20:46:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brainstorming Further

Pagunkee Wood currently has a bunch of half elves of Poscadari and Minnenewah origin, but honestly this is a big place. We'd discussed a raccoon folk, and the idea of a small size raccoon folk would fit this area. Also, what if there were some forest gnomes here and they and the raccoon folk were coexisting. Maybe they even share the same deity (Baervan Wildwander and his raccoon pal Chiktikka Fastpaws). There may be stories of them working with the Kercpa deity Rititisk the Clever and the demigod/trickster known to the Azuposi as Sun Youth/Paiyatemu. These forest gnomes may have a fondness for silk and grow butterflies expressly for the purpose, and this silk is used to make decorative ribbonwork for adding decorative trim to standard clothing. This ribbonwork is traded with the Poscadari elves who use it to enhance ceremonial robes, and oftentimes the Poscadari elves will capture rather than kill ettercaps found in the spotty forests of the Land of the Insect Men in order to use the living creature to obtain large quantities of crude silk for trade with these gnomes (keeping said creatures alive by letting them feed on the bloody remnants of animals they've hunted).

These woods are also protected by a family of amber dragons, and the gnomes are known to collect this amber from their breath weapons.

These gnomes are also known to breed the dire jackalopes found in the kaaya'yeeda

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 29 Sep 2019 20:49:55
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2019 :  02:42:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dire Woodpecker

The "dire woodpecker" is a creature of medium size and is an active threat to Anchorome's forest, though they also serve to clear dead wood. They are thought to be a creation of the Aearee, though for what purpose few can discover. The dire woodpecker is very successful at culling the insect population of the Land of Insect Men, and in particular they seem to target the bacar and ettercaps (though it should be noted that ettercaps also target dire woodpeckers). Some lumberjacks are known to keep one of these birds as a pet, trained to use its beak for pulverizing the base of a tree that they'd like to fell, or more commonly chopping out the top of an exceptionally tall tree. Their feathers are prized for decorative purposes, and they are also useful in plumacraft, often being traded to travelling pochteca for other merchandise.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2019 :  03:22:17  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Dire Woodpecker

The "dire woodpecker" is a creature of medium size and is an active threat to Anchorome's forest, though they also serve to clear dead wood. They are thought to be a creation of the Aearee, though for what purpose few can discover. The dire woodpecker is very successful at culling the insect population of the Land of Insect Men, and in particular they seem to target the bacar and ettercaps (though it should be noted that ettercaps also target dire woodpeckers). Some lumberjacks are known to keep one of these birds as a pet, trained to use its beak for pulverizing the base of a tree that they'd like to fell, or more commonly chopping out the top of an exceptionally tall tree. Their feathers are prized for decorative purposes, and they are also useful in plumacraft, often being traded to travelling pochteca for other merchandise.

This guy is very cool. Woodpeckers and other bird species like jays (blue jays in particular) seem to be unrepresented in fantasy. I can’t imagine why.

This is Woody on steroids.

I’d consider changing its name to something fantastical though, maybe something with the species name for woodpeckers involved. “Dire” is too much of a holdover for me from 3e and too often it seems a cop out for more clever naming conventions. I know you probably want people to be able to visualize the thing but I’m sure we could find some art.

For stats maybe use and slightly alter the giant raven or eagle? Maybe even give the thing a burrow speed in wood only.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2019 :  20:40:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The Dire Woodpecker

This guy is very cool. Woodpeckers and other bird species like jays (blue jays in particular) seem to be unrepresented in fantasy. I can’t imagine why.

This is Woody on steroids.

I’d consider changing its name to something fantastical though, maybe something with the species name for woodpeckers involved. “Dire” is too much of a holdover for me from 3e and too often it seems a cop out for more clever naming conventions. I know you probably want people to be able to visualize the thing but I’m sure we could find some art.

For stats maybe use and slightly alter the giant raven or eagle? Maybe even give the thing a burrow speed in wood only.

Yeah, stat wise, I'd make them even less hit points, since they are size medium. I'd also only give them a single attack (not talons, but beak), perhaps even with reach of 10 feet instead of 5 feet. Maybe doing like 1d10+3 damage (giant owl talons do 2d6+1). I'd give them like 16 strength, to simulate their ability to just drill on things, as well as a good dexterity as well. They're big, but only a halfling or gnome or kobold, etc... could possibly ride one. They might be the size of a good sized mastiff (which also means they can rest on a tree without knocking it over). As for special abilities, I'd give them advantage on attacks and damage rolls made against plant based creatures or creatures with an exoskeleton or wearing heavy armor. Also, from a "trade" perspective, perhaps their beaks make REALLY good spear or javelin tips, ballistae ammunition, or lances used by Poscadari elves. After all, they're made of more than just feathers. Maybe their meat is prized by some group as well (and remember those forest gnomes I was just talking about.... maybe they love riding these things and will pay a modest income for unhatched eggs).

Yeah, for some reason I have "dire" on the mind, and I agree, the name could easily be changed to make it more "Anchorome" based. That being said, perhaps this is the name Faerunians give to them. I very much like the idea that people of Anchorome have one name for things, but Faerunians are slowly sussing out this continent and giving things their own names. Thus, if you look at some of the names I'm sticking on forests, I'm naming them with 2 names (Mahoke Forest is also known as Bearhead Wood and is shaped from above kind of like a bear's head... and its right near the bear folk.... and Nanihooto Wood where the owlkin are is known as Dark Pines Forest... and as you go farther north where the Minnenewah haven't travelled extensively, I'm putting Faerunian names like "the Great Timberspires" for the place where the snow bear folk are and where the trees are huge like redwoods).

But back to the general idea. Yes, I've been trying to think of "intrinsically north American animals that we don't ever see". I mean, we see wolves, bears, panthers, other great cats, boars, etc... we see eagles, hawks, vultures, ravens, owls.... but that's why I've mentioned things like magpies, hummingbirds, woodpeckers. Blue jays, cardinals, etc... also make a great addition. I've also been thinking "road runner", but that inevitably makes me think of Wile E. Coyote.... and dire chickens make me laugh too much (and having a Colonel Saendirs in Fort Flame who sends adventurers to capture them waayyy too tempting).

I could see Fort Flame though with some giant mallard mounted knights who patrol the nearby ocean with rings of water breathing to control the sahuagin population.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 01 Oct 2019 21:17:37
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2019 :  23:30:04  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the dire woodpecker

I'd make gargantuan dire magpies make piles of garbage across the continent that can be used for low level adventurer dungeons.

edit: and considering hummingbirds were a symbol of war in many meso american cultures, you could really have fun by giving them a spark of magic and have them go on the offensive.

you even have a creature that you can just reskin to get the overall effect: stirges.

Additionally I have one of my favorite creatures in wetlands that could be fun to make it into a monster in some sort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFvJTmjUOyU

The Hydra. :)

Edited by - shades of eternity on 01 Oct 2019 23:36:32
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2019 :  00:41:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like the dire woodpecker

I'd make gargantuan dire magpies make piles of garbage across the continent that can be used for low level adventurer dungeons.

edit: and considering hummingbirds were a symbol of war in many meso american cultures, you could really have fun by giving them a spark of magic and have them go on the offensive.

you even have a creature that you can just reskin to get the overall effect: stirges.

on the dire hummingbirds (or giant hummingbirds, whatever we decide is the best name), I agree that it would be good to give them some kind of special ability. My first thought were something akin to color spray because of their colors, but Seethyr already has a parrot (the corollax) that does that. However, they move exceptionally fast... so maybe they always have a blur effect in place (so attackers have disadvantage, unless they don't rely on sight, such as with blindsight or can see through illusions, as with true sight). Then since you're talking about going on the offensive... maybe they can cast faerie fire 1/day and lull things as if a sleep effect using the droning of their wings (creatures within 20 feet of the hummingbird and affecting 3d8 hit points of creatures).

The stirge is similar, but its still a tiny beast though, and a flying snake might be closer. I'm picturing dire hummingbirds as size small, so that they can be mounts for size tiny kercpas. Differences I'd say would be to increase hit die (instead of 2d4, maybe 2d6 .. so 7 hp ), size, and get rid of swim speed, reduce their walk speed to 20, but increase fly speed to say 90 from 60 and make it fly 90 (hover). Change the bite attack to not include poison, but maybe be 1d4 piercing damage. Remove the blindsight, but add keen hearing, sense and smell (advantage on perception checks that involve sight, sound or smell and say a +6 bonus on perception checks). The Kercpa may keep these things around like watch dogs that let you know when somethings around (but won't engage it).

Love the idea of Giant Magpies that collect shiny stuff and that low level adventurers might want to just invade magpie lairs to get stuff. They might make a great nuisance beast that invades Minnenewah, bear folk, Poscadari elf, and snow elven encampments and just thieve stuff.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2019 :  00:51:02  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
My first thought were something akin to color spray because of their colors, but Seethyr already has a parrot (the corollax) that does that.

These guys were in one of the many, many 3e Monster Manuals. I just updated them. Seemed perfect for Maztica, particularly for a familiar.

quote:
However, they move exceptionally fast... so maybe they always have a blur effect in place (so attackers have disadvantage, unless they don't rely on sight, such as with blindsight or can see through illusions, as with true sight). Then since you're talking about going on the offensive... maybe they can cast faerie fire 1/day and lull things as if a sleep effect using the droning of their wings (creatures within 20 feet of the hummingbird and affecting 3d8 hit points of creatures).

Love the permanent blur concept, but the droning seems more like an insect attack. I believe that's the ability the chasme have. Perhaps instead just give them a whole bunch of attacks in one turn using multiattack. I tried to see if the quickling (volo's Guide) could be a good model, but this was the only "special" power they had because of their speed. They have evasion as well, which you might want to consider.

quote:

The stirge is similar, but its still a tiny beast though, and a flying snake might be closer. I'm picturing dire hummingbirds as size small, so that they can be mounts for size tiny kercpas.

Now there is a visual lol. Awesome

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2019 :  01:44:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes, both those do make a more effective idea for the hummingbirds, so no faerie fire and no sleep. Multiple attacks and evasion. Interesting, he has blur too.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2019 :  03:52:48  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
pulling out my old deadlands critter books to see what can be used

man for starters, a lot of these can already can be done using your stuff.

dust devils - aka a varient of air elementals
saddle burr - aka a stalking parasite based on burrs of certain plants.
texas skeeters - giant mosquitoes - not sure if already in
tumblebleed- killer tumbleweed, definitely. :)
walking fossils - definite potential. :)

edit: is there an Anchorome equivalent of the devil's tower?

how feasible is it for pirates off the east coast raiding amn, baldur's gate or waterdeep treasure?

I'm sure there is a grand canyon, but what about a bryce or zion equivelent (guessing in bug territory)

something else to play with
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/north-carolina/mystery-hill-nc/

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/
this is roadside oddities across north america. not sure what can be used in a more fantasy game, but there may be a hook or two.

Edited by - shades of eternity on 02 Oct 2019 04:01:57
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2019 :  14:17:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, by an Anchorome equivalent of the devil's tower??? Are we just talking a big mesa that's hard to get to the top? If so, look at Golden Mesa in the Anchorome guide.

As for pirates off the east coast of Anchorome raiding Faerun... I don't see it as extremely feasible. There's Evermeet between them and its a long distance. Plus, the majority of the east coast is forest. We COULD have the Urskan civilization of "snow bear folk" becoming pirates, but I don't really buy it, just like I had a problem believing in minotaur sailors. That being said, on the far north east ABOVE Anchorome, above the volcanic lands I put the Pyre Giants in (and why these lands this far north are volcanic is a possible other mystery) I was considering putting some islands that actually hold the ancestors of the people that went to Ruathym…. a rugged people, fatalistic, who are simply struggling to survive. They would have to come through the frozen northern waters... which are already plied by northmen pirates... so even if they DID raid a city, there would be a good chance they themselves might get pirated on the way home.

Now, travelling further south... there might be some possibilities of piracy down near Lopango and Katashaka like I was talking IF we actually put Laerakond there and start having Amn and Laerakond interacting.

I was kind of talking with Seethyr at a high level last night about what people's might have gone where, etc... and I drew up this map with some basic circles showing things (note the Jakandor reference isn't going to be anything official... I'm just putting an island the same rough shape and size of Jakandor way out in the middle of nowhere because its story absolutely fits with the spellplague, etc... but I don't think we can reference it since there's no actual links to FR). Call it an easter egg that just makes me smile.

Link to that very high level map (and its small for easy download)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/185ByQdwQZjPrUrRimyKqkNZLiaT0tuzx/view?usp=sharing

Those northmen islands that I circled are entirely my own addition and don't appear on current maps.

The Lopango Tharch, Western Pridelands, and New Eltabbar will all be new red wizard territories, but when I say "red wizard" don't think Thay... think a Faerunian influence on a small scale that can serve as a home point in those territories. They aren't necessarily evil, and they have nothing to do with Thay other than their grandparents were from there. Also, while Mulans are in these societies, they've brought in numerous people from the other nearby territories, so each is a bit of a new place. My view of the Lopango for instance is that those "red wizards" have embraced the native cultures and traditions (which pissed off some of the Mulans who decided to leave rather than lose their racial purity).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2019 :  16:51:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, hey, in talking with AJA in another thread and thinking about how we were talking about the spirit realms being an "overlay" of what the world is like copied into the spirit realm... it might be fun to just have some names for "places" in the spirit realm that kind of mirror Anchorome directly. They don't need uber amounts of data. One that he mentioned (not specifically as spirit realm or anchorome) was a place he called "the Plains of the Ever-Living", and it stuck in my head that to me that could definitely sound like a "mirror" of everything in the Pasocada basin and the Minnenewah lands to the spirit realm, and possibly filled with ancestor spirits who are "ever-living" there. Again, not a big requirement, because we're supposed to have similar with the shadowfell and feywild and noone defined them all out, but could be neat to come up with some names. For instance, the "mirror" of mount Dodaliv where the Thunderbird lives in the spirit realm I'm picturing as a place just hugely high, with constant raging thunder and lightning storms around it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

BadLuckBugbear
Seeker

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2019 :  18:47:31  Show Profile Send BadLuckBugbear a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I like Sleyvas' monster list. Deadlands is a game I never really checked out, so its contents remain mysterious to me.

Irrelevant factoid: Tumbleweed isn't indigenous to the Americas.

Cannibals feature in the folklore and legendary of a number of Eastern Woodland Indians. These could be ghouls and /or ogres with different names, or might be new monsters.

What about Raven Mockers?

Ewan Cummins
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2019 :  21:03:46  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the things I did for my own purposes is reskinned the Couatl to be the albino raven(s) of myth.

I'd love an east coast civilization of some sort, but it's kinda hard without a st. lawrence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroquois

but take 5 tribes (3 human, 1 elf, and 1 orc) and force them to work together against the ghoulish spirit world filled with spirits that bring in and play on their own darkness and the darkness of others and I think it could be a serious spin on the concept.

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2019 :  02:43:51  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All this talk of tumbleweeds reminds me of the odopi from the 3.5 Monster Manual III. Perhaps they are a good creature to update and include in the Pasocada Basin. I know they are from Carceri, but a little incursion into the Realms (Anchorome) might make for a weird encounter.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2019 :  14:01:01  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well

https://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

there was this silly hoax that wouldn't be out of the ordinary in the forgotten realms. :D

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2019 :  00:06:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

All this talk of tumbleweeds reminds me of the odopi from the 3.5 Monster Manual III. Perhaps they are a good creature to update and include in the Pasocada Basin. I know they are from Carceri, but a little incursion into the Realms (Anchorome) might make for a weird encounter.

They're a lot bigger than a tumbleweed too. They're size huge (or even gargantuan), and thus bigger than most giants. Granted, you could adapt them to a smaller thing, but then its not the same.

By the way, given that there are probably couatl up here as well, flying snakes might be a common thing in certain forests or something.It might alse be interesting to have some couatl variants. Just throwing that out. That being said, the couatl may not be as numerous as they were centuries back.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000