Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Brainstorming Anchorome
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2020 :  03:28:16  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

I appreciate the very thorough and detailed information there. I'll certainly check in with Senior Scribe Seethyr.

I was also curious though, and I apologize for not clarifying this before, if you feel that Senior Scribe Seethyr would still be the correct sage to go to for pre-Spellplague information on Maztica? To be clear, I do not mean that in an impugning manner; rather, I just don't know if he has been a focused sage on post-Spellplague, or just across the board in the know on Maztica. I don't play post-Spellplague at all, so I don't want to invest in that reading for something I won't use, of course.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9738 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2020 :  10:46:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We've both put aside the notion of worrying about trying to design a campaign in earlier timelines, but both of us are pretty knowledgable about the earlier lore as well. That being said, Maztica itself, he's delved more on, where I put my main focus on further north. For instance, I read the main novels and the main campaign guide, and I've perused the modules but not thoroughly read them. I have read through City of Gold a lot though, and it was me that put together certain assumptions like "the metahel were northmen stranded in Anchorome" which was hinted at in the lore but not outright said. He has also tried to stay a bit truer to the source material as well, whereas I've more wandered the edges to explore while keeping the source material in mind. He had a much freer hand when it came to Lopango, since nothing was written previously, and I've put my own spin to it after reading his. Blacktoe Glacier, I really liked what he did, and I can see where some of the ideas we've talked about he brought out (i.e. the elves are snow elves, the urskan exist, there are shatjan from the hordelands boxed set in Anchorome, etc...), but he put together a good history and some good spins in it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 27 Oct 2020 11:19:48
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9738 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2020 :  15:57:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Cervidae Folk (Shatjan) with Giant Elk Antler Staff and bow (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4625745) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

While Cervidae Folk serve to protect the herds of deer, caribou, elk, and even such fantastic creatures as giant elk, they are also attentive to using that which they provide. In particular, reusing antlers that have been shed is a common practice, and giant elk antlers are prized for their creation of deadly antler staves. Though typically connected with wood, its not uncommon for bones of dead giants or other powerful, large creatures to be use for the center part of the staff. This weapon is so common that most cervidae folk are trained in its use.

Some practictioners of hishna have spread their knowledge northward, particularly amongst the metahel humans (who have an almost reverence for horn based weapons), snow elves, shatjan, urskan, and Poscadari elves. They have developed spells to harden horn to the strength of steel. As a result, reindeer, elk, and moose antlers, whether shed or captured from a kill, are a commonly traded commodity. Other horns, such as that found on jackalopes of all sizes, bison, flying rothe, foxibou, and even intelligent creatures like shatjan and hybsil are also favored by the people of Anchorome.
The art of scrimshaw to make fish hooks is perhaps one of the most commonly seen uses. However, antler knives, antler arrowheads, antler wands, antler staves, antler-head spears and harpoons, moose antler axes, and small shields made of entwined reindeer antlers or bucklers made of moose antlers. Most notably there are even monks using unusual fighting styles not found in Faerun or kara-tur but using weapons similar to a kama, punch daggers, or even a "spiked chain" made from leather and antlers. There are even individuals using weapons believed to have originated in Kara-tur, such as the maduvu which consists of two antlers joined together in opposite directions, with the wielder holding one antler and his fingers sitting between the two sets of antler.

However, this working of hishna magics with antlers goes well beyond just making antlers less brittle by giving them strength similar to metals. Some hishna magics work with the spirits of the animal itself, and as a result, some magics which are less common in Faerun are actually more commonly found in Anchorome. For instance, weapons and shields made of horn are not as rare that have the ability to animate themselves and either attack or defend their wielder. In fact, one metahel goddess, Sifya the war mother, is said to use a shield of interlocking antlers that can also come apart into the separate antlers and attack her enemies if she feels the need to be more offensive. Also, not all hishna magics are used to strengthen horn, for some are used to make horn a bit more flexible, such as the hishna magics used on longhorn herd animals to make powerful bows wieldable by beings with exceptional strength of arms.

That is really cool to have hishna added to the shatjan repertoire. What other kind of spells effects do you think a shatjan would want? I see them as they were originally described in the Horde boxed set as protectors of the wild reindeer herds, so I figure they might also use a lot of misdirectional magics and even some fear effects that could keep errant caribou from running off. Heck, you could create a whole different "True World Artisan" magic type specific to the shatjan. Once again, getting that idea mill flowing, if only there was more time.

Seethyr,

Hey, with the whole idea of "True World Artisans" and laying out the various races and where I want to put them, I feel the need to define some of their cities a little more. You know, so that its not just "and here's a city of bearfolk", but more
"these bearfolk are hunters of the kaaya'yeeda. They also capture animals and monstrosities and train them to serve the bearfolk. Giant beaver, Giant woodpecker, giant elk, owlbear, and winged owlbear are..."

"this is a city of bearfolk who have chosen to take their focus in life from hunting and instead become craftsmen, studiers of magic, etc... They focus on using cast off reindeer horns to make yada yada, giant beaver teeth to make large gnashing saw mills, giant woodpecker bills for drilling, dire hummingbird bills as knitting needles, onyx elk antlers are carved into yada yada, axebeak bills make axes, aarakocra, axebeak and owlbear feathers used in plumacraft make... etc.."

"these bearfolk are lumberjacks who use giant beavers and giant woodpeckers to down trees rather than axes and deliver them down river using giant elk to haul the logs. Bearfolk druids have befriended over a dozen wildleaf stags and they use these creatures to plant and regrow the trees from where they are removed. Unlike human lumberjacks, these woodland urskan are very conscious of the need to keep the forest growing and not destroy the habitat. They also must feed all the giant beavers, elk, and woodpeckers, which requires them to grow acres of maize, soybeans, and ... In order to pollinate so many flowering plants, priestesses of Balanis the Honey Queen encourage hives..."

I wanted to throw out there.... of all the creatures we've talked about, do any of them occur to you as something "from which things can be made" just because they're bigger, etc... For instance, I know beaver teeth are a strong as iron, so giant beaver teeth should be as well (possibly even stronger as they're more dense).

I've got some rather odd pictures in my head right now of things like a series of giant beaver skulls that's made to open and close via a river with a waterwheel and belts, and then trees are "fed" through the gnashing teeth. The leftover "pulp" (because its not as efficient as say a saw) from this is used to make paper, and the outer bark used for firewood, etc..

I'm looking for any thoughts of a similar nature that pop in your head

just to throw out some of the ideas again of creatures (none of which I've written up)... and maybe some uses

giant beaver (see above). Picturing these as size medium. Also thinking their teeth might be turned at an angle and attached to a long bone to make a two man "saw" that might be used in sawmills .

giant woodpecker (see above) drilling holes in wood. Feathers used in plumacraft. Kept as pets, but bodies used when they die. If alchemically hardened, might drill into stone. Picturing size medium creatures.

dire hummingbird - picturing size small. feathers used in plumacraft. Bills used for knitting

wildleaf stags - kept as animal companions and treated well. They help grow fields of agriculture and regrow trees.

onxy elk - bones and antlers produce onyx. Bred like cattle. Source of enmity with the shatjan.

giant elks - kept as beasts of burden and treated well. Antlers are cast off periodically and used to make antler staves. Source of enmity with the shatjan.

giant porcupine - picturing size medium. Considered a tasty treat by the bearfolk. Quills harvested for???

giant skunk - scent glands are drained to create "stink bombs" that are sometimes used on the outskirts of communities to discourage interloping animals

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 27 Oct 2020 16:39:53
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9738 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2020 :  03:41:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FeSmale Frost Sprite (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4642050) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

In blacktoe glacier, known as Wootenai by most residents, there exists a place of portals that connects to the great glacier. In this place, known as Quivyre, Kupuks roam free, having migrated across gateways from the great glacier. However, they are not the only creatures to have come to Wootenai via the portal networks there. Uldra from the spirit world are also seen here. However, the ones who have been here the longest are the frost sprites who brought worship of Rellavar Danuvien to Toril. Some say that a great archfey named Aurilandur was also brought by the frost sprites, who proclaimed her their queen at one point. In fact, some frost sprites have turned to the dark side, as they say that their queen has been affected by the power of a great black diamond of primordial cold. These frost sprites have become known as simply "frosts", though some refer to them as snow sprites or snow fairies. Still, some still hold to following Rellavar, and have to given themselves over to the sway of darkness and evil.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9738 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2020 :  14:04:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Female Frost Sprite Ranger / Cleric / Druid (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4645192) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Even the smallest creature can have a great impact. It wasn't the powerful urskan, the steadfast shatjan, or the brave snow elves of wootenai that established the Ice Ramparts of Al'keyan in the Keanorin mountains of northern Anchorome. It was a contingent of the tiny frost sprites of Quivyre with their Uldra allies that built the fortress ring of ice surrounding the Blood Ice Spire of Cryonax. It was the frost sprite priests of Rellavar Danuvien that actually drew a coalition of urskan, shatjan, snow elves, kercpa, and anikiwah (also known as anchorome hybsil) together to protect the frozen north from this looming threat by creating the almost knightly "Order of Rimed Vigilance". Unfortunately, as time has passed and the threat of Cryonax seems more and more distant, fewer individuals are drawn to service, and larger and larger spans of the ramparts are falling undefended. There are even rumors that other beings, presumably snow goblins, have taken up residence in at least one keep. Some even believe that a small sect of frost sprites have been turned by Auril, the Queen of Air and Darkness, changing their essential nature to become what are known as "frosts" or "snow fairies" in service to the Unseelie Court and have even defaced the altar of Rellavar Danuvien with bloody sacrifice.

But despite these rumors, the frost sprites of the Ice Ramparts of Al'keyan wait warily, keeping their antler bows readied and their blue ice arrows sharp. Despite their small size, they show the great size of their hearts. Their stubborn refusal to yield the field to an enemy who threatens to roll over them and leave their bodies in its wake reveals a sense of true heroism in these miniscule fey warriors, which in turn inspires others to resolve themselves to fight all that much harder.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 06 Nov 2020 15:21:11
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2020 :  16:24:29  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

I think that is really cool that you are going north. There is so much land there to develop, and with the DM's Guild available for putting that material out there, that makes it extra cool.

I really think more magic, ritual, etc. stuff as discussed elsewhere too, should be implemented. That would be amazing! I personally really like Hishna and Pluma magic. I love the idea of that kind of world magic being the only thing that can stop certain kinds of world based issues/problems that arise, i.e. super ancient material, perhaps such as Dendar.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2020 :  16:31:34  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome stuff as usual Sleyvas.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2020 :  19:02:32  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas and Senior Scribe Seethyr,

Is it either of you who produced the ANC1 The Anchorome Campaign Guide? I am assuming so, but wanted to double check.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2020 :  20:40:52  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Is it either of you who produced the ANC1 The Anchorome Campaign Guide? I am assuming so, but wanted to double check.

Best regards,

Yessir, always taking Sleyvas’ suggestions in the process.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2020 :  21:35:37  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Seethyr,

Very cool! I've been eyeballing that for a bit now. I think I will pick it up. Before I do, is there anything in it that would make it unusable for 3.5/Pathfinder?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9738 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2020 :  21:45:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Best regards,

Seethyr made the anchorome campaign guide after we discussed some things. I'd say about 40% of that is from city of gold with some updates, then about 50 percent seethyr and maybe a few percent me throwing out ideas. Some of the other things though I've had a decent bit more input into, like blacktoe glacier (also by Seethyr, wherein he fleshed out the urskan, shatjan, and snow elves, but I initially suggested they should be there).

In the above, "the keanorin mountains", "blood ice spire" using Cryonax, and "Quivyre" are also Seethyr's creations. I just decided to add frost sprites to the region because Rellavar Danuvien is noted as "king of the frost sprites", so I threw them in Quivyre to give the area some more fleshing out, and I created the "ice ramparts of Al'keyan". I also decided I wanted Uldra (from frostburn) up there as well as a kind of neutral race. Secondarily, I just wanted to create imagery of frost sprites to create them as a player race or as familiars.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 06 Nov 2020 21:46:42
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2020 :  22:04:33  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

Awesome. I just got it. I appreciate the input, and I'm really looking forward to reading through that!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9738 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2020 :  14:04:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, while writing up some rules for a frost sprite race, I once again went back to something that's been bothering me with blacktoe glacier. We have Auril. We have Cryonax. Meanwhile, over in Toril, the FR novel series introduces a spirit world queen of ice named Kunin Gatar. There's also the idea of the Queen of Air and Darkness in FR that was tied to Auril. We also have canonically that there is definitely a being in Anchorome representing winter named Shakak, who is also a being tied to magpies and opposes miochin the spirit of summer, and Shakak is also tied to magpies. But nothing in blacktoe glacier uses Shakak, even though canonically he's the most known power of ice and snow in anchorome. Now, we could say that "shakak" is cryonax or auril, but maybe there's something else we could do.

One of the things from 4e that I liked was its exploration of the feywild and the rulers of faerie. So, in dragon #374, they introduce a being known as "The Prince of Frost". He lives in the "Fortress of Frozen Tears" and is "the mightiest of the winter fey" per the article (though everyone is always the mightiest). He is ALSO, per the Sword Coast Adv. Guide, a canon entity in FR who serves as a Patron for warlocks.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Prince_of_Frost

When I look at his picture, he reminds me of a snow elf. That being said, he SHOULD since he's supposed to be an eladrin/elf type fey being from the feywild. We also don't know "The Prince of Frosts" name. We do know that he used to be "The Sun Prince", and he was the eldest son of the Summer Queen (quite likely Titania).

It occurs to me to try and link Shakak.... who we know decidedly little about except that he's tied to magpies, winter, and he fights with Miochin, the power of summer, hoping to gain "the corn maidens".... and to link this Shakak to the Prince of Frost as the same being. Also, to link THAT being to the snow elves. We know that the Prince of Frost sometimes is in opposition to the "the summer court", so he is similar to Shakak in that respect as well. We also know that Shakak "seeks the corn maidens", and that the prince of frost is chasing his love, one of the fey powers who was a "daughter of delight".

So, perhaps there are some snow elves (and possibly shadar-kai) that worship Shakak/"The Prince of Frost" and are decidedly evil.

What else do we know of "the Prince of Frost"? Well, he was in love with and betrothed some other powerful archfey, one of the three "Daughters of Delight", by the name of Sharae, who fell in love with a mortal. She doesn't seem anything like Shar btw. She turned to the Raven Queen for aid to prevent the prince of frost killing her mortal lover. The Raven Queen casts Sharae and her lover into the future to escape the prince of frost. The Prince's heart turns to ice at the loss of his betrothed and he affects others around him. Sharae's two sisters (Velayn and Loralae) are imprisoned by the prince of frost and changed from being "the daughters of delight" to wraithlike incorporeal entities known as "the sisters of lament" and now have the names Mournwind and Soulsorrow. The Prince of Frost is pissed at the Raven Queen, but the Raven Queen is intrigued with him and would like to make him her own exarch or even consort.

So, I know what a lot of you are thinking... what does any of this matter? Its all high end story telling outside of the PC's involvement. Well, then let's link it to the world and how we might use it.

First off... Shakak being the Prince of Frost... maybe he is a power of the snow elves, but an evil one. He has ties to magpies, so perhaps these snow elves ride giant magpies to hunt the glacier (not necessarily blacktoe glacier, as there's a lot in the north mind you) from their lofty mountain heights than can't be climbed to. Then again, maybe we take and spread shakak's power beyond just snow elves. There is a note that Auril was possibly known as Aurilandur, queen of the frost sprites, an archfey. We also have Rellavar Danuvien as "King of the Frost Sprites" and friend of the god of the snow elves. So, possibly some frost sprites have become twisted servants of Shakak. Then there's the concept from 3e of the uldra as small size winter fey from the spirit world with ties to animals. Then there's also an idea that if we're doing some kind of fey high up in the mountains where its cold... maybe some avariel elves that aren't good. Also, since we've got these wraithlike "sisters of lament"... banshees fit this as well.

So, maybe a "realm" on the western north side of the continent. Maybe up in the mountains there are evil uldra that ride "giant magpies" which are size medium. Maybe there are "frostfell fairies" that are an evil subrace of frost sprites (and literally, their alignment changes them into this form). Maybe there are snow elves who can traverse the mountains, but there may also be some who have some other type of flying mount like giant owls. Maybe there are evil avariels as well. Maybe this fey realm opposes the aearee. Maybe there are warlocks and spirit shamans here, and some of them have pacts with Shakak. Shakak/Prince of Frost himself is not a "god", but he is a powerful archfey (whom some consider a "great spirit").

It should be noted that the prince of frost is still noted to be an ally of the fey when they have need against other powers of the feywild. He hates fomorians. He hates goblins. So perhaps the people of his realm also opposes the snow goblins of the north. Maybe there are frost giants on the western north that this group opposes, and possibly fomorians. Maybe they even oppose fire giants on the eastern side of the continent on that peninsula that stretches towards faerun.

Maybe these fey seek to capture the "corn maidens" lesser spirits, and maybe the corn maidens are just lesser royalty of the feywild/spirit world. Since the corn maidens are known to wander the world, letting animals free from their baskets, and presumably helping plants/corn grow, they may be some kind of powers of the same court that the Prince of Frost's love came from. One of them may in fact hold the spirit of his love, Sharae, since time has now passed since the Raven Queen cast her soul forward in time.

The prince of frost hates the raven queen, who is related to ravens. Shakak has ties to magpies (relatives of the ravens) and may have issues with the great raven spirit, which may be something of a servant to the raven queen. He may consider the great raven to be a spy who watches the world and reports back to the raven queen (in some ways not unlike the norse ravens huginn and muninn). Main thing, Shakak's people may not like the great raven spirit or the people that worship it (which would include the Azuposi, and may include some Metahel as well).

As a final aside, and not so much anchorome based, the current "story" for the Rime of the Frostmaiden adventure, could actually be that the being representing itself as "Auril" is in fact some other entity. That or "Auril" is another archfey power and not nearly as powerful as a god as she's been given credit for. Like the "Prince of frost" she may be a being who was changed as a result of the actions of the Raven Queen/ Queen of Air and Darkness. The recent twitter hints we have from Ed are that for a time the QoA&D was using Auril's name, possibly since the spellplague. So there definitely can be some kind of work done there... I'm not sure what I like, but I think I do like the idea of "Auril" becoming "Aurilandur" again. The idea of a dark goddess actually gaining redemption, but then some dark power stepping in to fulfill her role as a cruel power of winter has some draws.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 12 Nov 2020 14:17:34
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9738 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2020 :  17:55:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bisontaur (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4651352) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

The tatankatu, known to faerunians by the names "bisontaur" and "rothetaur" and "werebuffalo" amongst other nicknames, is believed by some to be a form of hengeyokai, others call it a lyncanthrope. In truth, it is neither, for it only has a bison, rothe or buffalo form and a hybrid form that resembles a minotaurs upper torso and the bottom half being a full bison,rothe, or buffalo. They live in minnenewah lands, primarily in Tabaah Ayani where the white bison is revered, and spend the majority of their time grazing in their animal form. As a result, few know just how many of these creatures actually exist. In fact, most believe them to be a myth, but in every generation there are reports of an attempted culling of a herd running awry when one of the animals suddenly took on tauric form and suddenly began killing everyone in the hunting party. Some believe that, like the shatjans found in the north, these creatures were sent by Besparr the Many-legged to protect the herds from predators. Others of course believe that they are the children of The Great White Bison spirit. The true origins are of course lost to history.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 12 Nov 2020 22:17:18
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9738 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  00:49:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
antler bow for minis (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4659202) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Finding a reuse for shed antlers is a commmon function for most cultures of Anchorome. In fact, there is a hishna spell which causes a deer, elk, or moose to harmlessly shed its antlers and immediately begin growth of a new set. Antler bows are one such common use of shed antlers, especially when treated with hishna magic to make them more flexible while maintaining their strength. Antler bows are commonly found in use amongst the shatjan, anikiwah (who faerunians call "anchorome hybsil"), snow elves, snow goblins, the metahel, and even uldra.

Uldra Female Caster (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4658222) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

The arctic uldra of the wootenai glacier are mainly found around quivyre and are known for their skill with frostfell magics.

Uldra with Staghorn Bow (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4659264) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

uldra rangers are protectors of the animals that roam the glacier.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 20 Nov 2020 02:33:26
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9738 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  13:36:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since we had been discussing the idea of using hishna with bone and antler weapons, and because I was looking at the old great glacier product, I thought it appropriate to list some of the weapons discussed in said product, because they actually fit some of the concepts. The naulagak is mechanically different enough to be a weird special weapon, in that you attack, then pull the rope, and a bone "hook" then turns inside the body holding the harpoon in place to keep a creature from leaving. The Iuak seems an appropriate replacement for a short sword, in that people would use it for other purposes (chopping up ice) and its significantly different from a maca. There are more in that product, but there's not much difference for them than just saying a "bone spear" or "bone harpoon" or "arrow made from bone", so they'd just be the names to be used mainly for flavor reasons.

Naulagak. Another type of harpoon, the naulagak is a wood or bone shaft shaped like a wishbone at one end. A separate blade of bone, razor-sharp on all sides, is fixed between the shafts of the wishbone, held so that the blade can toggle back and forth. A long cord attaches to the other end of the naulagak. When the shaft pierces an animal, the hunter jerks the cord, which causes the blade to toggle. Not only does this increase the damage, it also secures the animal to the shaft, making it much harder for the animal to get away.

Garnok. A foot-long bone rod with a leather thong on one end and a small cup on the other. It's used to hurl small (3-inch or less) bone darts.

Iuak. A bone blade resembling a machete, about 2 feet long and 6 inches wide. The end of the blade is flat, not pointed. Mainly used to cut blocks to make snowhouses, the iuak also makes a good offensive weapon.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 20 Nov 2020 14:03:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000