Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Pantheons and races
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  17:51:51  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How rigidly do you interpret the boundaries between pantheons?

A player in my campaign wants to be a dwarven cleric of Tymora. Realmslore states that Tymora has human and halfling worshippers. But what about worshippers of other races?

I’m taking it as a given that this dwarf would be unusual. There’s no established dwarven tradition of Tymora worship, so her PC is “going their own way” and is leaving her clan for an adventurer’s life precisely in order to seek out other worshippers of Tymora and learn more about this strange deity who has begun granting her spells.

How plausible is it that Tymora would have “sought out” a dwarven follower? Would Tymora be risking conflict with the dwarven pantheon for infringing on their divine territory? How do you conceive the relationships between pantheons? If it matters, we are adventuring in the post-Second Sundering era, in the Moonsea region.

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  18:39:05  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Daker

How rigidly do you interpret the boundaries between pantheons?

A player in my campaign wants to be a dwarven cleric of Tymora. Realmslore states that Tymora has human and halfling worshippers. But what about worshippers of other races?

I’m taking it as a given that this dwarf would be unusual. There’s no established dwarven tradition of Tymora worship, so her PC is “going their own way” and is leaving her clan for an adventurer’s life precisely in order to seek out other worshippers of Tymora and learn more about this strange deity who has begun granting her spells.

How plausible is it that Tymora would have “sought out” a dwarven follower? Would Tymora be risking conflict with the dwarven pantheon for infringing on their divine territory? How do you conceive the relationships between pantheons? If it matters, we are adventuring in the post-Second Sundering era, in the Moonsea region.

So, Tymora's portfolio most closely overlaps with Haela Brightaxe. The real question is why doesn't the dwarf character worship Haela.

If you are going to stick with Tymora, i would suggest the dwarf gradually learns that he/she is the "token" in a divine bet or debt. I'm thinking of that perfume commercial where Elizabeth Taylor says "these have always brought me luck". The dwarf is the physical manifestation of a "luck loan" from Haela to Tymora as a result of a bet or in gratitude for Tymora helping Haela as some previous point in history.

This might eventually lead to the character acquiring or being gifted a magic relic with powers from both deities.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

John Daker
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  22:44:09  Show Profile Send John Daker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That’s a fantastic suggestion, Eric! I was perusing Demihuman Deities when I saw your response. What a great book that is. Thanks for everything you’ve done for the Realms.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000