Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 What books would an insane lich keep?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
674 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2019 :  21:23:33  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
We are returning to the school of wizardry from the OGB. We didn't fight the lich the first time.

Now we are going to take all his books and items for lore reasons (my elf PC is a loremaster).

What books would he have?

I'm coming up blank.

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
583 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2019 :  21:58:57  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I put “library” in the search bar at DMsGuild and a couple of options that seem potentially interesting came up. If that’s not your thing, all I could think of is it having a lot of esoteric and forbidden lore. Perhaps even a Realms equivalent of the necronomicon but one that replaces beings like Cthulhu and Tsothoggua with Dendar and Kezef. It’s just a thought.

All "Maztica Alive" products can be found below, linked to the campaign guide.

TWC1 The Maztica Campaign Guide

Newest Addition: TWR1 The Sea Demon's Pearl

Also, please come join us on the Maztica Alive Yahoo Group:
Join Us
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1661 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2019 :  00:48:28  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A collection of magical lore worth at least 100,000 gold since he's an archmage capable of researching 9th (or higher) level spells. A fair portion of this should be dedicated to necromancy and poison (poison because the concoction created to become a lich involves several poisons). In addition, libraries dedicated to planar lore, the gods and monstrous lore make sense. Their value should be substantial but likely less than the magical library. I'd name a few interesting books to include interesting lore or plot hooks you wish to introduce into the campaign.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1661 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2019 :  00:53:01  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Donjon site's random generator for arcane tomes (to get the creative juices flowing):

Atydes' Grimoire of Psychometabolism: This libram is written in blood and bound in cedar plates inlaid with pewter. A seemingly unrelated list of materials has been added in the middle of the tome.

The Codex of Alcmaxos: This set of scrolls is bound by a fine chain. It is locked by magic, and can be opened only within magical Silence.

The Fiendish Scrolls of Pylasid: This tome is bound in monstrous hide. It is sealed by fell wards, and can be opened only within the Prison of the Gargoyle Emperor.

The Book of Aquatic Creatures: This set of carved wooden slates is bound by a fine chain. Whenever it is opened, any other spells affecting the reader cease functioning.

Amin's Manuscripts: This exotic book is bound in leather. It is locked by magic, and can be opened only within magical Silence.

The Codex of Kilmul: This compendium is bound in monstrous hide. It is locked by magic, and can be opened only in a mirror.

The Thunda Shards: This eldritch libram is written in illuminated script upon vellum and bound in monstrous hide trimmed with bone. It is written in Abyssal. When used in arcane research, this tome provides a +1 bonus to checks using alchemist's supplies.

The Infernal Fragments of Ilmin: This cryptic compendium is written in luminous script and bound in stained glass plates. It is locked by magic, and can be opened only by a maiden's kiss.

The Unearthly Incunabulum of Gili: This set of engraved stone slates is contained in a lacquered elm box.

Inien's Grimoire of the Lower Planes: This set of inscribed bones is contained in a birch box inlaid with copper. It is locked by magic, and can be opened only in a mirror.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 13 Jul 2019 00:55:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
32223 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2019 :  03:14:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the lich is insane, put some weird stuff in there. A book on goblin cuisine, a book detailing the family history and the lineage of the rulers of a land no one has heard of, a book of galeb duhr knock-knock jokes, a book on the care and feeding of carnivorous plants, a book of poetry that's so bad even the monks of Candlekeep would want to destroy it...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2019 :  04:50:20  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A book of Chosen jokes.

The Secret Lives of Demon Princes.

A personal diary detailing how the lich went insane when he realized that undeath removed his ability to taste coffee.

Graz'zt's Anatomy.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1838 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2019 :  05:00:41  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or results of a temporary obsession with some critter (which may have been good, bad or mixed blessing for the critters), i.e. a Crazy Cat Lich (or ditto with ferrets, geese, ghost rothe, etc).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
32223 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2019 :  16:03:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Or results of a temporary obsession with some critter (which may have been good, bad or mixed blessing for the critters), i.e. a Crazy Cat Lich (or ditto with ferrets, geese, ghost rothe, etc).



I love it! An entire shelf of books, many with the same information, on just one critter! You could do something normal, like tressym, or go a little weird and pick osquips, or be really out there, and do something like flumphs.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
674 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2019 :  16:44:26  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Or results of a temporary obsession with some critter (which may have been good, bad or mixed blessing for the critters), i.e. a Crazy Cat Lich (or ditto with ferrets, geese, ghost rothe, etc).



I love it! An entire shelf of books, many with the same information, on just one critter! You could do something normal, like tressym, or go a little weird and pick osquips, or be really out there, and do something like flumphs.



he is fond of the larvae from the Abyss...his favorite food :)

He thinks he still needs to eat
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
32223 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2019 :  17:15:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Or results of a temporary obsession with some critter (which may have been good, bad or mixed blessing for the critters), i.e. a Crazy Cat Lich (or ditto with ferrets, geese, ghost rothe, etc).



I love it! An entire shelf of books, many with the same information, on just one critter! You could do something normal, like tressym, or go a little weird and pick osquips, or be really out there, and do something like flumphs.



he is fond of the larvae from the Abyss...his favorite food :)

He thinks he still needs to eat



There you go -- a couple larvae recipe books, a tome on the care and feeding of Abyssal larvae, maybe a tome on making beverages from fermented larvae ichor...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Jul 2019 17:15:49
Go to Top of Page

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

98 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2019 :  08:51:09  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Books on phrenology labelled "Demi-lich Porn" and "Acerak Undressed."

Also known on other forums as ChazSexington, Kusghuul, and Claudius.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8139 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2019 :  17:47:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check this forum thread from last year. Icelander was looking for book names to stick in a library for Unther. I literally started making up book names that would fit realms history. It would be great to continue this tradition, but if it gives you some ideas for titles, great. A lot of times all you need is something to suggest what the history is about, so that players who KNOW the history can say "I consult book X to see if I can find out information about Y".

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22383

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2019 :  01:48:39  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also What's on the Shelf: 1001 Essays, Treatises, and Books on Magic from the Giant In The Playground forums. Just as many horrid puns as you'd expect from a crowd-sourced list, but there are some that may fit your criteria.

I also second Sleyvas' thread recommendation and there is, of course, Steven Schend (et al.)'s The Candlekeep Collection on the old WotC site (WayBack Machine link, so you'll have to manually c/p it);
https://web.archive.org/web/20041102212601/http://www.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/FR_20001129b_P1.asp


AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 17 Jul 2019 01:49:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
32223 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2019 :  04:36:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA


I also second Sleyvas' thread recommendation and there is, of course, Steven Schend (et al.)'s The Candlekeep Collection on the old WotC site (WayBack Machine link, so you'll have to manually c/p it);
https://web.archive.org/web/20041102212601/http://www.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/FR_20001129b_P1.asp





We have that copied here. Check out Krash's Book List for Tomes in Candlekeep, which builds on Steven Schend's Candlekeep Collection article.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
235 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2019 :  15:47:56  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm tempted to say a "The Book of Keeping", a book of Yugoloth names, for summoning generic, and named big boss Yugoloths, but that's a bit like adding Karsus diary.

Seriously: Add a bit varied side stuff from diverse areas and times. Netheril books on craftsmens canta glyphs, Imaskari books, history, poetry, Dustmen history and lore books from Sigil, books penned by the Djinn in Calimsham on the Elemental planes and it's lore.
These examples is basically books on Knowledge Arcana and Knowledge The Planes.

Edited by - Starshade on 17 Jul 2019 16:11:31
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Seeker

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2019 :  00:58:21  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about an original copy of Volo's Guide to All Things Magical? Elminster may very well have missed one in his purge. It would be a great plot hook if the party wizard actually uses the contents.
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
543 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2019 :  13:30:24  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

How about an original copy of Volo's Guide to All Things Magical? Elminster may very well have missed one in his purge. It would be a great plot hook if the party wizard actually uses the contents.



Can you elaborate on that purge by Elminster?
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1838 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2019 :  16:52:54  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

How about an original copy of Volo's Guide to All Things Magical? Elminster may very well have missed one in his purge. It would be a great plot hook if the party wizard actually uses the contents.

He and others probably missed anything not in Prime/Realmspace at the time.
And could have "missed" the pieces used in the ways that avoid the problems with this work. I mean, someone probably used fragments of VGtATM 1.0 as handouts for apprentices with "find at least 2 ways in which following instructions on these pages could get you killed" work, etc. Which would proactively improve the situation.
For the same reason, yes, if the party wizard (or anyone else) tries to actually use the contents, it has great potential for !!FUN!! (in Dwarf Fortress terms).
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

Can you elaborate on that purge by Elminster?

He elaborated on it himself (in the introduction to VGtATM 2.0 we know):
quote:
  In the interests of reader safety, I was forced to spearhead an exhaustive search for every last copy of his masterpiece of
horrors — I think we got them all — and then convince him of the error of his ways. Just about every other mage who had
seen the work offered to help in this little task. After due passage of time, I agreed that something called Volo's Guide to All
Things Magical
(that titlewhat an arrogant longnose!) should become available across Faerűn, if only to stop greedy adventurers
from getting themselves killed in the defenses of every mage's tower between Evermeet and Kara-Tur in an attempt
to gain a copy of the work rumored to yet to survive.ą Yet — mark ye — it was not going to be the same opus Volo fondly
thought of as his great gift to all seekers after magic. I set to work on the only copy of the text remaining (safely kept up to
that point in my library) to expunge the worst of his distortions and just plain errors in order to keep Faerűn from being overrun
with uncontrolled elementals and worse summoned extraplanar beasts — to identify just one consideration.
  And then, of course, a little minor surgery was necessary on what he got right. I really do not think the Realms would be
better off without any wizards around to keep the beholders, dragons, drow, orc hordes, petty sword-swinging tyrants,
insane Baneliches, and other evils at bay — and that is what would have happened if Volo's little list of carefully pilfered
command words, phrases of activation, truenames, and the like had fallen into the hands of the inhabitants of wider
Faerűn. Some things only the magically enlightened, whether wizards or priests, are meant to know — really!


People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 18 Jul 2019 17:15:36
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8139 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2019 :  17:42:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

There's also What's on the Shelf: 1001 Essays, Treatises, and Books on Magic from the Giant In The Playground forums. Just as many horrid puns as you'd expect from a crowd-sourced list, but there are some that may fit your criteria.

I also second Sleyvas' thread recommendation and there is, of course, Steven Schend (et al.)'s The Candlekeep Collection on the old WotC site (WayBack Machine link, so you'll have to manually c/p it);
https://web.archive.org/web/20041102212601/http://www.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/FR_20001129b_P1.asp





Oh, I must say, that link by Steven Schend is wonderful... and also since I have a second for continuing the tradition of just making up titles of texts that might appear in the realms... I'm going to throw down the gauntlet and challenge everyone who comes to this site and considers themselves a sage to come up with say ten such title names and post them (they can be histories, treatises on magic, biographies, lessons on monsters, or anything else that comes to mind). If you want to note the author name and date written, so much better.

So, consider formal gauntlet thrown (see below). Note that this gauntlet extends to all sages, both professional and not, and I look forward to hopefully seeing titles from Ed, Eric, Steven, George, and any other authors lurking here. No idea is stupid, and all ideas are welcome.

        -------
       /        )
-------       ---------
                       )
 gauntlet     -----------
                          )
 of sagery     ------------
                            )
-------         ------------
                         )
        ------------------

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 18 Jul 2019 17:58:06
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8139 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2019 :  20:02:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, since I threw down the gauntlet, let me quickly come up with some ideas for books of the realms that can help someone quickly create a list for players


Wheel of Spells, Talis, Sava, Elemental Empires, Chase the Dragon, and Lanceboard - A study of games of strategy and the worship of the red knight

Swords of the Lords of Imphras II and the Gathered Pennings of their Scribes

Bheuristahl, Narathmault, and Dun-Tharos - Buried Secrets of the Eastern Realms

Gray, black, red, mountain, half, and orog - Orcish Breeding in Faerun
Durthan, Oni, Uthraki, and Mur-Zhagul, a study of the machinations of the hags of the eastern wastelands
Year of the Bright Blade, Chaos and Violence of the Ten Black Days of Eleint
Dreams of Firewine and Flame Magic, the story of a Rashemi Exile
Raumathari Battlemages, a study of eldritch spellswords and warwizardry
Udoxias, Mythallars, and Mythals - a modern study of the ancient arts of magic fields
Triggers, Contingencies, and Hung Spells- manipulating the weave for offense and defense
Failings of the Weave - a study of Karsus' Folly, the time of troubles, and spellplague

######################################

All of the below are from the previous thread that I mentioned, but just including them to make forming a list later on an easier thing

######################################


A book surrounding the Utter East and the binding of Tartyron (from the video game blood & magic). Then possibly a later book detailing the blood wars and when he got released.
Breaking the Circle of Order, Secrets beneath the Land of Fire

Erkalla Reborn, the secret burial city of Nergal
Rise and Fall of the Great Enemy, Thayd
Secrets of the Surviving Theurgist Adepts

Secret Weapon of the Artificers, Pandorym

Burning Witchweed, the rise of Luthcheq's Karanok family
Datharathi Crystal, a study of the Rise of Plangent Limb Replacement

Rise of the Red Wizards, a story of Halruaan Exiles
Learning in the Garden of Eternity, a treatise on Dread Necromancy by Velsharoon the Vaunted
The Founding of Thay and creation of Eltabbar by Jorgmacdon Odesseiron, first Zulkir of Conjuration
Dreams of Lalthar, The True Story of the Council of the Black Star and the Formation of the Modern Day Zulkirate by Ythazz Buvarr

A treatise on Shandaular, the Mucklestones, and other planar nexi of the East

Pholzubbalt, City of Mulan Shame

Dun-Tharos and the Dark Rise of Narfell by Garthelaun Darakh "the Goreslayer"

Divine Origins, A Study of Jergal's Renunciation, Mellifleur's Accident, and Karsus' Folly by Larloch, Sorcerer-King of Jiksidur Enclave

Since we have no idea when the Necromancer Kings Kingdom was, all of these are in play

Ereshkigal and Inanna, Exile of a sister
Sahu Island, and the founding of the city of Nycopolis by the First Necromancer King, Uruk Kigal
The Iron Spires of Ereshkigal, city of Serene Death
Blood & Magic, a history of the Necromancer Kings
Vermissa and the Cult of Worms, fall of the Empire of Thasmudyan

Maybe something detailing the Sarrukh involvement in the lands long ago The Ba'etith, who were they and what is their legacy

Something detailing the summoning of Eltab and the creation of demoncysts The Creation of the Adamantine Seal, the lost art of Narfellian Dembonbinding

Something detailing the witches of Rashemen binding Eltab and the creation of the Everlasting Wyrm Telthor Binding Rituals and other Durthan Magics, including the Wychlaran Binding of Xavarathimius


Something detailing the founding of Eltabranar The Theocracy of the Crusaders of Myrkul, Eltabranar

Something detailing the rise of Peleveran... this might be right around its formation time OR it might have been a couple centuries later. The Cliffside City of Peleverai, Blessed city of Khass the Rain Lord

Deciphering the Stone of Kest, the true history of the Orcgate Wars, a story of Divine Betrayal - author slain by the servants of the god-king Gilgeam and the only copy believed to be buried in the royal vault of Unther. Rumors abound of this book being copied.

######################################

The below are all referenced in official products, so I mention them for additional use, possibly with ties to said reference material

######################################

The Prophecies of Alaundo
The Black Chronology - a book of prophecy by a chosen of Shar
The Nycoptic Manuscripts from Complete Necromancer's Handbook and also Libris Mortis
Art of Necromancy - author Kazerabet, source complete Necromancer's Handbook
Book of Shadows - author Nebt Bhakau, source complete Necromancer's Handbook

Mors Mysterium Nominum - which is noted as "A big book of names". Its also mentioned in this 3e article which details some other layers of the Abyss.
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060620a&page=3

Also from the Fiendish Codex: Hordes of the Abyss page 138 regarding Apep is this book name, which is used "daily" by individuals to keep Apep bound in the Wells of Darkness
the Books of Overthrowing Apep

Also, in 4e Dragon Mag they started articles similar to the Demonomicon of Iggwilv, but these were focused on Hell, and were referred to as The Codex of Betrayal and detailed individuals from Hell. I have never read much on this, but I'm intrigued and may read through some of the 4e lore.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 18 Jul 2019 20:06:42
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2019 :  10:41:44  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are some I came up with for some adventures in Calimshan and sorrounding lands, title within quotes and then contents, author and date separated by semicolons

- “The Moraktars, dynasty of infamous pirates” (lives and deeds of the first fifteen pirates to bear this name in the waters of the Shining Sea and Lake of Steam; author unknown; believed to be 1141 DR as it stops at Moraktar XV and doesn't include the XVI who started his career in 1145 DR);
- “The Beholder Hunt” (novel, the story of the young Calishite slave Saibh adh Al’Adhan following a party of adventurers sponsored by his owner in an ill-fated beholder hunt in the Alimir Mountains and his first meeting with the charming and strange young drow maiden Zesstra; Mek adh Barenn, half-elf, ex-slave, bard, rumored Harper; 1362 DR);
- “The Underdark Menace” (novel, the second story on the troubles of Saibh adh Benoum, now a warrior-slave in the employ of another family, escorting one of the family scions to a fateful meeting with envoys from the drow city of Guallidurth and his second meeting with Zesstra; Mek adh Barenn; 1365 DR);
- “Drows Under the Treetops” (novel, the third instalment on Saibh yi Calimport, now an escaped slave, helping his paramour Zesstra escape the clutches of Lolthite priests in the Underdark and Vhaerunite assassins in the Forest of Mir; Mek adh Barenn; 1367 DR);
- “Nomad Swords, the Lions of the Arnaden” (essay on the culture, traditions and history of the Shadi’ar tribes of the Arnaden region, a clear change of tone and style for the author known mainly for his novels and the main reason many believe him to be much more than a simple rascal; Mek adh Barenn; 1371 DR);
- “Deities and Temples, a treaty on divinity and worship in ancient and modern Calimshan” (detailed essay on the history of religions in Calimshan, contains references to old Gods, forgotten cults, heresies, shrines and holy sites scattered across the region; Arhidan al Curna, sage and lorekeeper; 1237 DR);
- “Confessions of a Shoon Canopy Bed” (erotic novel, explores the extravagance and debauchery of hedonistic revels in the golden age of the Shoon Imperium; Safiya al Sharess, “The Tigress”, retired adventurer and fervent worshiper of the Lady of Festhalls; 1372 DR);
- “The Way of Passion, diary of a Sharessin experimenter” (autobiography/erotic novel following the author’s adventures in and out of the embrace of uncounted lovers of literally any kind; Safiya al Sharess; 1374 DR);
- “Secrets and Mysteries of Calimshan, the most complete collection of information on cults, secret societies, passphrases, codes and forgotten secrets of the Shining Sands” (essay or fictional work? The author claims to be freely sharing region-shattering secrets, insight into the true nature of the Powers Behind the Thrones and the secret trafficking of pasha’s and merchant guilds …; Oma yr Tora el Yabyid, unknown woman claiming a long forgotten family name as her own, many believe it to be one of the pseudonyms of Garghen “the Bold”, halfling troubador and rumored Harper infamous for his daring satire of the powerful and his skills in acting and disguise, sometimes magically aided; 1370 DR)
- “Secrets and Mysteries of the Lake of Steam, the truest account of all of the lost riches of the Land of the Lions and the secret manipulations of merchant-princes, beholders, illithids, drows, dragons, …” (essay or fictional work? Second book of her series on secrets and mysteries of the region, the author claims more region-shattering revelations; Oma yr Tora el Yabyid; 1370 DR)
- “True Story of the Rundeen, discover the hows and whys, the whos and wheres of the smugglers and slavers of the Shining Sea” (essay or fictional work? Third instalment of the series, this time focused only on the organisation of the Rundeen; Oma yr Tora el Yabyid; 1371 DR)
- “Lost Empires, Volume I – the Dwarves of Shanatar” (historical essay on the long forgotten empire kingdom, surprisingly accurate to the point it was used with some success as a reference by brave explorers of the Underdark; Faruk al Savras yi Almraiven, seer, sage, diviner, cartographer and sponsor of countless adventuring bands he sent on extremely specific missions that failed only if the agents strayed from the path and instructions he clearly laid out, believed to have been in possession of a powerful artifact or in direct contact with his patron god due to his extremely accurate divinations, disappeared with his whole house and all his possessions from Almraiven; 970 DR)
- “Lost Empires, Volume II – the Great Dragons” (historical essay on the mighty dragons that ruled the land in the ancient past and some still alive and troubling the region, much sought after by treasure-seekers for the reliability of its author; Faruk al Savras yi Almraiven; 992 DR)
- "Lost Empires, Volume III – the Lands of the Giants” (historical essay on the giant kingdoms that occupied the mountain ranges of the Lands of Intrigue, contains fairly accurate recountings of the battles between giants and dwarves in the region; Faruk al Savras yi Almraiven; 1015 DR)
- "Lost Empires, Volume IV – the Elven Forests” (historical essay on the elven realms of Shilmista, the Waeldath, the Forest of Mir and the Thornwood, marked for safe-keeping or outright destruction by the Eldreth Veluuthra; Faruk al Savras yi Almraiven; 1032 DR);

Edited by - Demzer on 19 Jul 2019 10:42:53
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8139 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2019 :  17:43:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the "Secrets and Mysteries of the" line of books. It very much sounds like a book in the realms. Some of the cults may be trying to suppress the work. Others will be changing their passphrases, and some will be continuing to use them to grow their following OR to find people seeking to infiltrate them. Meanwhile "The Way of Passion" sounds like a great chapbook that might have the secret use of serving to attract followers to Sharess.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8139 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2019 :  18:09:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Using Deneirhand, a guide to practical use of the Faerunwide accepted system of codes, glyphs, and minor weave manipulations used by heralds and scribes

Travellers Heraldry, a guide to simple trailsigns and camp markings

Handsign for Heroes, an adaptation of dark elven hand signals for use by adventurers

Codified Laws of the Heartlands, a study of the standard accepted rule of law and punishment and the notable discrepancies in Amn, Tethyr, Cormyr, Impiltur, Sembia, and the Dalelands

Bountiful Harvests, a study of the use of fertilizers, aqueducts, and proper tilling

A Magnificent Manual of Malar's Monstrosities, a study of magical beasts, how to hunt them, and the uses to which they may be put, alive or dead

Mystics, Mindmages & the Mental Mysteries of Ancient Jhaamdath

War of Stone & Steel - a tactical study - This book, by an ancestor of Karlyn of House Kuldever, focuses on the war between the stone giants of Nedeheim and the dwarves of High Shanatar

Magical Metallurgy - A dwarven study comprising studies of the identifying, smelting, forging, and enchantment of unusual ores such as Mithral, Adamanantine, and other rare metals

Spinning Spidersilk, Working Wood and Leatherizing Leaves - a study of unusual druidic armors such as gigantic spidersilk, darkleaf, ironwood, and duskwood armors by an elven master


Starmetal - Shattering the Shaar - a theoretical work on geology of the shaar which looks into the creation of the landrise, collapse of Bhaerynden, formation of Lake Halarrah, creation of the river Shaar, and the creation of the black ash plains and smoking mountains, and links them to possible impacts from extra-Torilian sources. Furthermore, it goes into strange magical theories about the impact of these things on the surrounding societies and possible uses for the strange metals found in the areas.

Unraveling the Yuir - a theoretical work by sages of modern day Aglarond seeking to uncover the history of the elves, centaurs, fey, and primitive humans, as well as uncovering lore on their deities which are now gone. It also delves into the formation of some portal network within the woodlands and the possibility of some lost elven civilization

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 20 Jul 2019 03:18:02
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2019 :  02:08:30  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote


MEMOIRS/GENERAL MUSINGS
And Mind the Zzar: A Life Lived Table-Dancing (1338DR, Gleethra the Glim-Dancer)
Dark Sayings Upon the Harp (1374DR, Maelanja Stror, Tarnharp of Ireiabor)
Letters From An Owlbear Hunt (1270DR, Halarad Foehammer, Lord Utmost of the Tower Blackthorn)
My Talks With the Dead (1197DR, Sundrar Sumbralstone, The Unquiet Sage of Triboar)
Sowing Shadows Dark and Treasonous (1361DR, Uldalara the Soft Weft, Whisperwyvern of Shar)

SAGE TREATISES [ ANIMAL LORE ]
Curious Discoveries In The Art of Beast-Melding (1333DR, Orlavvan the Beastmaker)
Ongul's Accounting of Fur & Fang, Vol.1: Beasts of Field and Forest
Ongul's Accounting of Fur & Fang, Vol.2: Beasts of Cave and Crag
Ongul's Accounting of Fur & Fang, Vol.3: Beasts of Dungeon and Darkness
The Sarkastodonskin Book (Daglendur's Book of Beasts)


SAGE TREATISES [ THE ART and MAGICAL THEORY ]
A Dictionary of Terms in The Art (1353DR, Ragefast of Baldur's Gate)
A Theory on the Nature of Celestial Distillates (1359DR, Maskar Wands)
Moot-Mutterings: Various Wizardly Dialogues From the Spell-Moots of 1234 and 1237DR
On Elemental Laws of Waves and Moving Waters (When Not Unduly or Otherwise Influenced by Godly Writ or Whim) (1057DR, Mordalan the High-Spoken, Senior Art-Wielder of Harathast)
That Which Is and That Which Echoes in The Weave (1310DR, Emmdalance the Moon-Faced Dancer)

SAGE TREATISES [ FORGING and METALLURGY ]
A Dwarf's View of the Iron-Works of the Kingdom of Man (1335DR, Durrgan Brűnshield)
Casting, Forging, Brazing, and Mage-Sheathing: A Compleat Practical Treatise on the Smithing and Forging Arts
Little Gods of Hammer and Forge: Master Smithing Techniques of the Dwarves (or: What Is Known to Man)
Of Arrental and Grugdane and Sharrask Shining-Bright: A Master Smith's Guide to the Abjurations of Lawful Metals
(1241DR, Haevhalrűne of the Dwarves)
On The Founding of Metals (1308DR, Irrym Sulanheer, "Master Mage of Mintar")

SAGE TREATISES [ HISTORIES LOW and HIGH ]
A History of the Bugbear-Men (1225DR, Abberstamn, Sage Second Royal of Tethyr)
The Collected Legends of Halaster the Mad (Known Variously and Correctly as The Lord of Twists and Turns, The Eater of Echoes [That Fade Down The Halls], The Waiter At The Threshold, The Mirth of Terror, The Cackling Crow and He Who Eagerly Awaits) (1361DR, Zeltabbar Iliphar)
Sable The Lords, Ermine The Ladies: An Accounting of Cormyrean Lordships 900 – 1100 DR (1192DR, Sarscala of Marsember)
Unturned Stones: A High History of Faerie (1343DR, Tashlurra "Tarries-Late," Lady Sweet-Laurel of the Court of Lloralundara)
Zarhoond's Early and Later Histories of the Fallen Kingdom

SAGE TREATISES [ POISONS, POISONERS and EVIL ALCHEMIES ]
In The House of The Viper: A Low History of the Guilds of Murderers, Poisoners, and Assassins
The Livid Circle: A Holy Treatise on the Mother of Poisons
(1367DR, Ilua Yhestin, Most Fatal Horror of Talona, High Prestess of The Place of Waiting Death)
Llazuntra (The Scorpion's Bite) (1147DR, Azedaur of the Gentle Poisonings)
The Messengers of Thy Vengeance: An Accounting of Night-Slayers and Hired Killers, their Methods and Manner
The Yellow Nectar of Talona: A Guide to the Poisons of Animal and Aberration and Their Uses in the Slaying Arts


SAGE TREATISES [ WAR and THE MARTIAL ARTS ]
A Judgment of Steel (1253DR, Beleron of Tempus)
Danskar's Bloody Red Book of War (1032DR, Danskar of Kzelter, Sower of Blood and Sorrow, High Standard-Bearer of The Swords of the South)
Salfren's Swordpoints: Puissant Methods of Using Arms, For Both Offense and Defense
Sword-Dancing The Elven Way: Swordfighting Secrets of the Fair Folk (1328DR, Rűshaerl of Riyatavin)
Tavern-Knife And Table-Leg: A Guide to Surviving Swordery Without Your Sword

TRAVELOGUES, GENERAL
Lore and Divers Trail-Notes on the Frozenfar
My Travels in the Amn Lands
(1307DR, Laensparra of Wheloon)
On the Tethyr Road: A History and A Caravan-Eye Travelogue
The Poor Wayfarer's Guide to the Trade Way
The Trail-Dusted Hin's Guide to the Nooks and Corners of Cormyr
(1311DR, Mereen "Merry" Duskfoot)

TRAVELOGUES [ "TRUE-TELL-ALLS" ]
Baubles and Trumpery: A True-Tell-All of A Life In Dungeons Damp and Gallows High (1345DR, Jhasprair Lightfoot, Luckmaster of Tymora and of of The Five Flashing Swords)
Of Depths Immeasurable: One Delver's Descent Into The Undermountain (1362DR, Dundald Gost)
To The End of My Ten-Foot Pole: A Delver's Truthful Recollections (1330DR, Tlommur "Barrel-Mouth")
Turralsk Strongsword, Master Sellsword of Amn and Tethyr: My Perils and Adventures (1362DR, Turralsk Strongsword, "Master Sellsword of Amn and Tethyr")
Unscaleer in the Underdepths: A True Tale Dark and Mysterious (1254DR, Unscaleer the Bold)

The Five BARDIC BALLADS Currently Popular in Waterdeep
A Song of Shilarn
Cobbles of Gold (Where My Jhentyra Danced)
The Hills of Delimbiyran
(My Love Lies) In A Silvered Bower
The Winding Road Ever Rises


The Five COMMONER'S SONGS and SEA CHANTIES Currently Popular in Waterdeep
The Cock-Crow Song
Creak the Wood, Rattle The Latch (The Goblins Are Coming)
Laratha Come Dancing
Nine Cups of Wine (On An Old Orc's Head)
Raven-Haired Rauleene


The Five STAGE PLAYS Currently Popular in Waterdeep
A Mage So Charming (bawdy comedy)
A Wench In No Bad Sense (bawdy comedy)
Ilanair and Ilirtha (romantic tragedy)
The Merry Month of Mirtul (comedic farce)
When Tyr Sleeps (political satire)



AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8139 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2019 :  03:26:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA



MEMOIRS/GENERAL MUSINGS
And Mind the Zzar: A Life Lived Table-Dancing (1338DR, Gleethra the Glim-Dancer)
Dark Sayings Upon the Harp (1374DR, Maelanja Stror, Tarnharp of Ireiabor)
Letters From An Owlbear Hunt (1270DR, Halarad Foehammer, Lord Utmost of the Tower Blackthorn)
My Talks With the Dead (1197DR, Sundrar Sumbralstone, The Unquiet Sage of Triboar)
Sowing Shadows Dark and Treasonous (1361DR, Uldalara the Soft Weft, Whisperwyvern of Shar)

SAGE TREATISES [ ANIMAL LORE ]
Curious Discoveries In The Art of Beast-Melding (1333DR, Orlavvan the Beastmaker)
Ongul's Accounting of Fur & Fang, Vol.1: Beasts of Field and Forest
Ongul's Accounting of Fur & Fang, Vol.2: Beasts of Cave and Crag
Ongul's Accounting of Fur & Fang, Vol.3: Beasts of Dungeon and Darkness
The Sarkastodonskin Book (Daglendur's Book of Beasts)


SAGE TREATISES [ THE ART and MAGICAL THEORY ]
A Dictionary of Terms in The Art (1353DR, Ragefast of Baldur's Gate)
A Theory on the Nature of Celestial Distillates (1359DR, Maskar Wands)
Moot-Mutterings: Various Wizardly Dialogues From the Spell-Moots of 1234 and 1237DR
On Elemental Laws of Waves and Moving Waters (When Not Unduly or Otherwise Influenced by Godly Writ or Whim) (1057DR, Mordalan the High-Spoken, Senior Art-Wielder of Harathast)
That Which Is and That Which Echoes in The Weave (1310DR, Emmdalance the Moon-Faced Dancer)

SAGE TREATISES [ FORGING and METALLURGY ]
A Dwarf's View of the Iron-Works of the Kingdom of Man (1335DR, Durrgan Brűnshield)
Casting, Forging, Brazing, and Mage-Sheathing: A Compleat Practical Treatise on the Smithing and Forging Arts
Little Gods of Hammer and Forge: Master Smithing Techniques of the Dwarves (or: What Is Known to Man)
Of Arrental and Grugdane and Sharrask Shining-Bright: A Master Smith's Guide to the Abjurations of Lawful Metals
(1241DR, Haevhalrűne of the Dwarves)
On The Founding of Metals (1308DR, Irrym Sulanheer, "Master Mage of Mintar")

SAGE TREATISES [ HISTORIES LOW and HIGH ]
A History of the Bugbear-Men (1225DR, Abberstamn, Sage Second Royal of Tethyr)
The Collected Legends of Halaster the Mad (Known Variously and Correctly as The Lord of Twists and Turns, The Eater of Echoes [That Fade Down The Halls], The Waiter At The Threshold, The Mirth of Terror, The Cackling Crow and He Who Eagerly Awaits) (1361DR, Zeltabbar Iliphar)
Sable The Lords, Ermine The Ladies: An Accounting of Cormyrean Lordships 900 – 1100 DR (1192DR, Sarscala of Marsember)
Unturned Stones: A High History of Faerie (1343DR, Tashlurra "Tarries-Late," Lady Sweet-Laurel of the Court of Lloralundara)
Zarhoond's Early and Later Histories of the Fallen Kingdom

SAGE TREATISES [ POISONS, POISONERS and EVIL ALCHEMIES ]
In The House of The Viper: A Low History of the Guilds of Murderers, Poisoners, and Assassins
The Livid Circle: A Holy Treatise on the Mother of Poisons
(1367DR, Ilua Yhestin, Most Fatal Horror of Talona, High Prestess of The Place of Waiting Death)
Llazuntra (The Scorpion's Bite) (1147DR, Azedaur of the Gentle Poisonings)
The Messengers of Thy Vengeance: An Accounting of Night-Slayers and Hired Killers, their Methods and Manner
The Yellow Nectar of Talona: A Guide to the Poisons of Animal and Aberration and Their Uses in the Slaying Arts


SAGE TREATISES [ WAR and THE MARTIAL ARTS ]
A Judgment of Steel (1253DR, Beleron of Tempus)
Danskar's Bloody Red Book of War (1032DR, Danskar of Kzelter, Sower of Blood and Sorrow, High Standard-Bearer of The Swords of the South)
Salfren's Swordpoints: Puissant Methods of Using Arms, For Both Offense and Defense
Sword-Dancing The Elven Way: Swordfighting Secrets of the Fair Folk (1328DR, Rűshaerl of Riyatavin)
Tavern-Knife And Table-Leg: A Guide to Surviving Swordery Without Your Sword

TRAVELOGUES, GENERAL
Lore and Divers Trail-Notes on the Frozenfar
My Travels in the Amn Lands
(1307DR, Laensparra of Wheloon)
On the Tethyr Road: A History and A Caravan-Eye Travelogue
The Poor Wayfarer's Guide to the Trade Way
The Trail-Dusted Hin's Guide to the Nooks and Corners of Cormyr
(1311DR, Mereen "Merry" Duskfoot)

TRAVELOGUES [ "TRUE-TELL-ALLS" ]
Baubles and Trumpery: A True-Tell-All of A Life In Dungeons Damp and Gallows High (1345DR, Jhasprair Lightfoot, Luckmaster of Tymora and of of The Five Flashing Swords)
Of Depths Immeasurable: One Delver's Descent Into The Undermountain (1362DR, Dundald Gost)
To The End of My Ten-Foot Pole: A Delver's Truthful Recollections (1330DR, Tlommur "Barrel-Mouth")
Turralsk Strongsword, Master Sellsword of Amn and Tethyr: My Perils and Adventures (1362DR, Turralsk Strongsword, "Master Sellsword of Amn and Tethyr")
Unscaleer in the Underdepths: A True Tale Dark and Mysterious (1254DR, Unscaleer the Bold)

The Five BARDIC BALLADS Currently Popular in Waterdeep
A Song of Shilarn
Cobbles of Gold (Where My Jhentyra Danced)
The Hills of Delimbiyran
(My Love Lies) In A Silvered Bower
The Winding Road Ever Rises


The Five COMMONER'S SONGS and SEA CHANTIES Currently Popular in Waterdeep
The Cock-Crow Song
Creak the Wood, Rattle The Latch (The Goblins Are Coming)
Laratha Come Dancing
Nine Cups of Wine (On An Old Orc's Head)
Raven-Haired Rauleene


The Five STAGE PLAYS Currently Popular in Waterdeep
A Mage So Charming (bawdy comedy)
A Wench In No Bad Sense (bawdy comedy)
Ilanair and Ilirtha (romantic tragedy)
The Merry Month of Mirtul (comedic farce)
When Tyr Sleeps (political satire)






NICE. I like "When Tyr Sleeps". I also like the song "Cobbles of Gold" that probably has a refrain that says "Where my Jhentyra Danced". I'd actually like to see that song just because it sounds catchy. It kind of reminds me of "the devil went down to Georgia", but with a very different take (but maybe the reward was golden shoes for whatever competition it was). I also like the Talonite poison book.

Question
Whisperwyvern of Shar? Is this an actual title somewhere. its really odd.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2019 :  23:44:55  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
Question
Whisperwyvern of Shar? Is this an actual title somewhere. its really odd.

Not so far as I know.

And remember, before 3E's inane SHADOW SHADOW SHADE SHADOW SHADE SHADE SHADOW, the Lady of Loss was a god of bitterness, jealousy and discord. The faithful Uldalara's insidious whisperings are just as sharp and poisonous (in their plottings) as the sting of a wyvern, hence....


AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000