Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Grand History of the Realms - softcover
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2019 :  03:42:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Sharing this because I've seen people on eBay paying through the nose for the original hardcover...

The DM's Guild now has a softcover version of The Grand History of the Realms for just $20. (And right now, it and the pdf together are $22. No idea how long that deal will last).

So if you weren't lucky enough to get a copy (or two!) in hardcover when it came out, now you can go softcover on it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

jamesewelch
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2019 :  13:33:01  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just be aware that it looks awful.

I purchased the POD and PDF. I also requested a refund (got refund yesterday).

The PDF is image scans (not text, so not searchable). There's white space margins around the scanned pages, so the POD and PDF pages aren't even full pages. The PDF does have bookmarks/TOC.

I really hope WotC cleans up this scan, so I can buy a few.

Edited by - jamesewelch on 03 Jul 2019 13:39:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2019 :  04:05:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamesewelch

Just be aware that it looks awful.

I purchased the POD and PDF. I also requested a refund (got refund yesterday).

The PDF is image scans (not text, so not searchable). There's white space margins around the scanned pages, so the POD and PDF pages aren't even full pages. The PDF does have bookmarks/TOC.

I really hope WotC cleans up this scan, so I can buy a few.

That's really quite odd. They just updated the file a few weeks ago; the prior version was text, or at least OCR'ed, so it was searchable. I wonder why they would replace a searchable version with a larger file that wasn't searchable.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I just dug up one of the older copies, so I could have the searchable one handy. I'd replaced it with the newest version of the file, not knowing it wasn't searchable.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2019 :  23:21:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just have your own.

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 05 Jul 2019 04:00:24
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2019 :  00:37:34  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert That's really quite odd. They just updated the file a few weeks ago; the prior version was text, or at least OCR'ed, so it was searchable. I wonder why they would replace a searchable version with a larger file that wasn't searchable.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I just dug up one of the older copies, so I could have the searchable one handy. I'd replaced it with the newest version of the file, not knowing it wasn't searchable.

It wouldn't be the first time.

I got The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde when it was first released on the DM's Guild. The file was so large and such poor quality that I went and downloaded a pirated version to take its place.

Yep, amateur pirates had better quality control....

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2019 :  02:48:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert That's really quite odd. They just updated the file a few weeks ago; the prior version was text, or at least OCR'ed, so it was searchable. I wonder why they would replace a searchable version with a larger file that wasn't searchable.

It wouldn't be the first time.

I got The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde when it was first released on the DM's Guild. The file was so large and such poor quality that I went and downloaded a pirated version to take its place.

Yep, amateur pirates had better quality control....

Yeah, but this is going the other way: they replaced the better copy with the worse one.

I've gotten a lot of TSR/WotC pdfs, and honestly, I've had very few complaints about them.

Go to Top of Page

dagger
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2019 :  01:36:35  Show Profile Send dagger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Print on Demand looks pretty decent.

https://imgur.com/a/f7iUosh

“I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.” #8213; Groucho Marx
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2020 :  23:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I really wish they'd do is offer reprints of the various poster maps. My 3e ones are pretty much worn to tatters, sadly, and I don't know a great way to replace them.
Go to Top of Page

jamesewelch
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2020 :  00:22:41  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been hoping for some reprints of the old 2e "Complete" books.
Go to Top of Page

RealmProtector
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2020 :  01:01:10  Show Profile Send RealmProtector a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys, Have any of you bought the Shining South POD? Is it any good as in quality of printing and paper? Or should I just get the original on eBay?? Any help would be appreciated.

They say that life's a carousel spinning back you gotta ride it well, the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's Heaven and Hell
Go to Top of Page

Fayne
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2021 :  01:40:30  Show Profile Send Fayne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did they ever improve the PDF file on this? Restore it to the searchable text, rather than the image scans? How is the quality of the softcover POD? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000