Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mithral Hall Side Slinger?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2019 :  14:51:26  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
An image search reveals farm implements. Anyone seen an artist rendition of this military weapon?

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2019 :  15:54:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What kind of weapon is a "Mithral Hall Side Slinger"? From what published source(s)?
Is it a prominent thing or just a passingly-mentioned obscurity? Is it known by other names? Is it canon or fanon?

Many military weapons were derived from common tools and farm implements. Although "Mithral Hall" suggests dwarves and underground stuff, I'd expect their weapons to be derived more from mining and forging than from farming.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2019 :  16:54:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Side-slinger ballistae" is written in the prologue of Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf by R. A. Salvatore. There is no description of it in the prologue.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2019 :  18:09:04  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it was a catapult, looks like it was a ballistae, mounted on a wall that swings to the side inside of up in an arc. Pwent used one in Siege of Darkness to shoot himself around a corner to get to Uthegental Del'Armgo. Gauntlgrym, when it was being retaken had some of them installed on the walls in or near the throne room when they were fortifying.

Edited by - Eilserus on 29 May 2019 18:10:09
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2019 :  18:25:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Ballista" could technically refer to anything from a wagon-sized siege engine to a one-handed crossbow which fits on your belt.

But there were all sorts of variations and refinements. Especially on those which had to be portable (taken to the battlefield instead of built into the defenses). I'm guessing (from the name) that a "side-slinger" uses side-mounted elastic slings instead of the common crossbow arches ... maybe something like this?

(You could always ask RAS what sort of weapon he was thinking of or what sort of weapon inspired him when he wrote the text, lol.)

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 29 May 2019 20:13:55
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2019 :  19:57:45  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've recently finished the companion Codex series by Salvatore. It's mentioned multiple times through the books, and I recall it being referenced long ago when I was reading novels in the 90s. They are a known instrument used in Mithral Hall. Im sure Salvatore has given a description in the past, i vaguely recall reading a description, but Im looking for an artist's representation.

Here is an excerpt from siege of darkness

Mounted against that left-hand wall, just bend the dude tunnel, was a curious contraption, a deadly dwarven side-slinger catapult, with a short, string arm that whipped around to the side, not over the

The quote I found online is cut short there.

Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2019 :  22:17:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought it was a catapult that shot horizontally rather than vertically.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2019 :  02:43:24  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-That's what it sounds like. Think a pitcher that throws sidearm or very low three-quarters, not over the top.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2019 :  03:08:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

What kind of weapon is a "Mithral Hall Side Slinger"?

It's used in dwarven restaurants, to put other foods next to the main course. "One baked potato, coming right up!" Thwang! (a baked potato soars across the room, a thin stream of sour cream trailing in its wake)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2019 :  04:27:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It's used in dwarven restaurants, to put other foods next to the main course. "One baked potato, coming right up!" Thwang! (a baked potato soars across the room, a thin stream of sour cream trailing in its wake)

A Gnomish potato finger?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2019 :  04:32:34  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

A Gnomish potato finger?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2019 :  05:40:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
A Gnomish potato finger?
Gnomes have probably invented a variety of convoluted table-sized machines for potato flinging.

Not like halfling food fights which only involve slings and slingshots.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2019 :  10:04:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
A Gnomish potato finger?
Gnomes have probably invented a variety of convoluted table-sized machines for potato flinging.

I'm told it's considered bad form to use siege weapons during a food fight.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2019 :  15:44:46  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:
A Gnomish potato finger?

I'm told it's considered bad form to use siege weapons during a food fight.

But would be completely in character of a dwarf to do.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000