Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 An Anchôromé Campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2019 :  20:47:25  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've recently attempted to detail as much of the continent of Anchôromé as possible. I have a 100 page campaign guide coming out in a few weeks, after the cartographer I hired is finished with a few maps (greater Anchôromé and the Pasocada Basin). Otherwise it is ready to go. I have also detailed a "nation" mentioned in City of Gold known as "The Land of the Insect Men" in much closer detail. It's all fanon, but I have tried not to contradict any bit of the little written about the continent.

Since I had some time to kill, and an artist eager to share his work, I wrote up a short, fun little preview that might also be used on mainland Faerun if one so desired.

I do hope you enjoy it.

ANS0 The Bee Tribe of Anchôromé

All "Maztica Alive" products can be found below, linked to the campaign guide.

TWC1 The Maztica Campaign Guide

Newest Addition: TWR1 The Sea Demon's Pearl

Also, please come join us on the Maztica Alive Yahoo Group:
Join Us

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
105 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2019 :  21:40:01  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh this is a cool idea. Hope to see it detailed like your work on Lopango

Just an idea for something to add if it falls within taste. I always thought it would be cool to have an Illuskan colony at the northeastern tip of Anchorome, perhaps this might be something worth adding? The island of Tuern is much closer to Anchorome than Faerun after all. Could be a hybrid of an indigenous tribe of Anchorome and Illuskans. And perhaps the people might be afflicted with lycanthropy which is why the land might have limited and perhaps hostile contact with the other Illuskan lands?

Edited by - deserk on 28 May 2019 21:42:07
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2019 :  22:18:04  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh that’s awesome. I’m going to have to read up a bit on Illusk to keep this as a future development. What you’ve described is very much like the Metahel, who are essentially Vikings that have learned to adapt because of their close contact to the Azuposi (canon from FMQ1). The settlement seems like it would be somewhere to the north of Fort Flame if I have my map knowledge correct?

Join Us
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
105 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2019 :  01:47:09  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Metahel are inspired by Pacific Native American tribes like the Haida, who themselves lived a way of life similar to the Norse, and were crafty ship builders and seamen, as well known for being coastal raiders. Also, the Metahel are mentioned to live in the Poscadar Basin which is in the Northwest of Maztica, whereas for my suggestion I would place such a concept as mentioned before in the Northeast tip of Anchorome, not far from the island of Tuern. Could be a fun idea to play on theme of a "a Vinland colony that survived". Maybe they might have made pacts to crueler gods or other entities to survive those lands, or some other element that may restrict regular contact from other Northlander islands (or some other reason to explain why there aren't regular voyages by Faerunians to Anchorome via those islands).

But yeah, the Anchorome continent is a pretty vast place, about a fifth or more of Faerun, by the looks of it. So there are plenty of concepts to fill in. The Maztica books touched upon a fairly small portion of it.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/c/c7/Toril-3e.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20190515202219

Edited by - deserk on 29 May 2019 01:50:16
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  02:46:27  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it’s here and it’s up! My biggest problem with this thing is the price because I spent over $300 on the artwork so I’m charging more than I’m comfortable with charging my friends (whom I consider many here). Please feel free to PM me if you’d like to talk over the price.

ANC1 The Anchôromé Campaign Guide

It explains pretty thoroughly what’s included in the description, but know that I have attempted to make a full campaign guide in the spirit of the SCAG. It’s about 50% lore, 50% crunch. If you do pick it up, I’d also be so grateful to hear feedback, even if it’s negative. It only helps you grow as a writer imo.

Join Us

Edited by - Seethyr on 18 Jun 2019 14:39:27
Go to Top of Page

jamesewelch
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  03:09:30  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats! It looks great. I've added it to my wish list and will pick it up soon.

I didn't see a credits page in the sample. Is that at the end of the doc? I like looking through the credits page, just to see editors, artists, etc. so I can check them out (as well as writers) to see if I might be able to use them as well.

Edited by - jamesewelch on 18 Jun 2019 03:12:44
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  03:13:12  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamesewelch

Congrats! It looks great. I've added it to my wish list and will pick it up soon.

I didn't see a credits page in the sample. Is that at the end of the doc?

It is, and boy do I have credits! It took an army to get me through this piece that I literally started in 2016!

Thank you so much for the kind words too!

EDIT: I'll PM you a link to a shot of the credits page. I can't seem to get DMSGuild to preview pages at the end, unless I make it go all the way to the end.

Join Us

Edited by - Seethyr on 18 Jun 2019 03:17:14
Go to Top of Page

jamesewelch
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  03:23:55  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hahaha. 2016....

I started my book in Dec 2018, and I feel like it's taking forever (currently 100+ pages, and I'm doing another good size overhaul after some gameplay mechanics feedback that sparked a new idea or two on how to do things better).

Also, if you're not already a member of the Facebook "DMG Creator's Circle" (if you use FB, you can search for that group name to find it), I'd highly recommend joining. There's a ton of great writers there and its a good forum for DMG creators to talk about stuff (not product selling/advertising, but about the process of creating, helping each other out, giving writer-to-writer feedback, etc.)

Also, you should make a few 'Bundles' of your related products as well. That's a new feature they just added. You can bundle all of your Maztica books into a 'Maztica Bundle'. So you can just direct people to the bundle to get all of the books in one download.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  14:30:37  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hahaha. 2016....

Yeahhh, I just couldn't get it right to begin with. I knew what an undertaking it would be and procrastinated for years. Once it got going, other than gathering art and maps, the writing went rather quickly.
quote:

I started my book in Dec 2018, and I feel like it's taking forever (currently 100+ pages, and I'm doing another good size overhaul after some gameplay mechanics feedback that sparked a new idea or two on how to do things better).

What's the foundation of this book? Color me interested.

quote:

Also, if you're not already a member of the Facebook "DMG Creator's Circle" (if you use FB, you can search for that group name to find it), I'd highly recommend joining. There's a ton of great writers there and its a good forum for DMG creators to talk about stuff (not product selling/advertising, but about the process of creating, helping each other out, giving writer-to-writer feedback, etc.)

Unfortunately, I am not familiar...but will be soon!

quote:
Also, you should make a few 'Bundles' of your related products as well. That's a new feature they just added. You can bundle all of your Maztica books into a 'Maztica Bundle'. So you can just direct people to the bundle to get all of the books in one download.

You are right. I've seen the bundles before, and thought about putting one together, but I let the thought go. It is a lot less annoying I am sure, than hunting down each product individually. I don't charge for any of them (other than PWYW) so I might as well.

Join Us

Edited by - Seethyr on 18 Jun 2019 14:31:16
Go to Top of Page

jamesewelch
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  18:09:03  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My book is based on the god represented by my forum icon. :)

I've procrastinated too much as well. Since I've asked a few people to review and provide feedback, I've gotten my second wind and I'm spending hours every night working on it again.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  18:48:35  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My book is based on the god represented by my forum icon. :)

I've procrastinated too much as well. Since I've asked a few people to review and provide feedback, I've gotten my second wind and I'm spending hours every night working on it again.

Malar! Excellent. Please include his connections to Ithyak-Ortheel from the past. I've been dying for an update to that thing. If you need any ideas or an extra eye for editing, I'd be happy to help where I can.

Join Us
Go to Top of Page

jamesewelch
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2019 :  21:47:39  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Lore and stories about the Elf-Eater is included and I've converted its stats to 5e and put it in the monsters appendix.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2019 :  23:33:26  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, this isn't up on DMsGuild yet, and they have a policy that you can't share on other websites once its up I guess I'll remove the link. It's also a WIP and the creatures after the Piasa Bird are just notes and the art I will end up using.

I figured I'd share it here now as a bit of a preview. I am trying to make a monster book for Anchorome but I'd like to give it a broader appeal than just for that continent. I have gone through Indigenous American legends and pulled creatures that haven't been done (I think) anywhere else before. In the end there will be 32...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HCC3NjqrY_ifC6NI2-S19ZXrCzzwBM9f/view

Join Us
Go to Top of Page

jamesewelch
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2019 :  01:30:57  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you the same Bryan Holmes from DMG discord? (the copyright says Bryan Holmes (c) 2018 in it, if not you might want to update the legalize before you forget)

Looks good. Lots of good artworks. That cover is awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2019 :  15:42:24  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are you the same Bryan Holmes from DMG discord? (the copyright says Bryan Holmes (c) 2018 in it, if not you might want to update the legalize before you forget)

Looks good. Lots of good artworks. That cover is awesome.

For a hot moment, I had no clue what you were talking about, now I have to thank you so much. That’s what I get for copy/pasting legal material without reading it!

Join Us
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2019 :  00:42:25  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Put up a singular creature just on a whim. Had availability for the artwork so I thought I’d have some fun with it.

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/285666

Join Us
Go to Top of Page

jamesewelch
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2019 :  00:50:08  Show Profile Send jamesewelch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The other book images aren't loading for me, just the [x] missing image link. It's because you're linking to google.drive. They only allow linking to imgur.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8128 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2019 :  14:28:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Put up a singular creature just on a whim. Had availability for the artwork so I thought I’d have some fun with it.

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/285666

I love the artwork and idea... a snail dragon... reminds me of the old order of the stick joke of some kind of snail with a bunch of templates, but more interesting. That being said, the artwork makes this believable. I also love this because from what you're describing in it, it sounds like some of what I've talked about doing with Katashaka, you may be looking to do up in Anchorome. By that I mean that in GHotR, it mentions nyama-nummo in Katashaka, and we've debated "what" a nyama-nummo is. I finally settle on the idea that its something akin to a primordial and a kaiju (i.e. Godzilla, king kong, Mothra, etc...). I was planning to have a section of Katashaka known as "Manu-Ni-Maloa, Land of the Nyama-Nummo", and fill it with these beings and have "tribes" of beings that surround them, protect them, and worship them. Having many of the "great spirits" of Anchorome being similar beasts that don't copy "Faerunian great beasts" is a wonderful idea.

I planned to then open up to interpretation... are these avatars of gods in some way, the original forms of the gods, etc... So, there might be a giant "bat" that corresponds to Camazotz, worshipped by surface bainligor living in a jungle, werebats, and a tribe of daemonfey who somehow ended up in Katashaka

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21770

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21638

I also had an idea I was using for the "Wakanari Highlands" and the "Council of the Reborn Phoenix" that features powerful beings ruling over a group of bird folk, cat folk, mouse folk, and flower folk that live and work together. They're ruled by some sphinxes, but above the sphinxes are unique "entities". It also involves earth motes. It COULD fit in with the aearee actually (though the cat motif is more "african"), though I hadn't thought about that until now.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22380

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8128 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2019 :  15:21:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, and looking at your earlier post, it seems you're headed down the road that I was thinking. Developing large beasts that fit "north American" myths to a degree (giant skunks creatures, a "dinosaur" kinda similar to the creature rumored to be in Lake Champlain,

BTW, I love the base idea of the Chenoo. I recommend they have an ability to corrupt food and drink, such that they do so in order to "procreate" their race. Maybe a minor ability to extinguish small fires (like a campfire that a group is using to keep warm). I like the idea that the Metahel are familiar with these creatures and know them as "Rime Giants" and maybe they fill the role of frost giants in Anchorome. Maybe they even act like the fey stories of old and steal individuals to conduct a "ritual" with them and turn them into Chenoo. Thus, they may wander in small "tribes". It might be interesting if there is a link to Toril's ancient ice age and the disappearance of the sun. Maybe a race of dying creatures created "Chenoo the primal hunger" as a collective of their spirit as they lay dying and freezing (or some primordial drew upon their suffering and they had worshipped him). Since then, when a new, lesser "Chenoo" is created, its "linked" to this greater spirit, and anyone saved remembers this link vaguely. Thus, the metahel near the Azuposi may have stories of these creatures, though noone in their current generations has ever seen one. There may be a belief that if "Chenoo the Primal Hunger" can be destroyed that all the other Chenoo would be freed. He might also be a warlock patron. Just some ideas to throw out.

Cipelahq are cute... love it.

Deer Woman... yes, very well done... a swan may with an attitude. I was thinking an "owl woman", but this one fits well too. Both could exist with differing backgrounds or reasons for existing and acting.

Hisshishtawia ... love the idea of this hag. Recommend changing some of her spells to make the "twisted wand" seem to fit the idea that they have some power with plants. Acid splash, change that to Thorn Whip, with the hags using the Thorn Whip to drag people closer to them. Change Hold Person to entangle, and the Thorn Whip drags people into the entangle area (or spike growth area). Give them tree stride, sleet storm, and spike growth 1/day.

Jipijka'm ... downplay the strength of its horn if recovered. Its not a major deal, but making it say +2 instead of +3, since +3 is so strong in 5e. I do like the indestructible part, but perhaps magic can destroy it (disintegrate for instance)... or perhaps someone using the weapon "dishonorably" in some way makes it decay rapidly.

Mitchehant - good use of another "great beast". The story is a bit weird though.

Piasa Bird - love the picture... move the text to make it easier to read the myth.

Uktena - again, love the picture. I'd like to have these creatures be in Metahel lore as creatures they had to fight "in their homeland", but they haven't seen them down in the Pasocada basin. Their horns and scaled skin might have uses. From that reference you say Uktena is a dragon-like horned serpent of Cherokee legend.
The first Uktena was said to be transformed from a human
man in a failed assassination attempt on the sun.
.... I'd change this and reference that the Uktena have some kind of link to the Norse "dragon" that nibbled on the world tree Nidhogg... or to change the spelling some Naedhagg for the metahel... and then possibly linked to Dendar the Night Serpent). Basically do something to link it more to the realms and less to our world's myth.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 14 Aug 2019 16:34:46
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8128 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2019 :  19:46:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I've been thinking more on that Chenoo idea. What if as discusses they are a collective of some spirits that died during the Faerunian ice age. The picture shows them having horns. What if those are wood? What if the beings that died were a race of plant people, and the idea of eating "flesh" is as normal to them as eating "plants" is to us... also the concept you have is that you can physically pull someone out of the Chenoo to rescue them. What if its not so easy. What if its got to be more of an exorcism of sorts because the spirit inhabits their body and then modifies them. Picturing having to capture a Chenoo and stake it down in a tent, while some Minnenewah uses incense and pipeweed and steam on burning coals to make the conditions for the spirit inside the body have to leave (because it can only exist in cold with clean air to breathe). Then, if the "spirit" of the Chenoo is expelled, maybe there's some chance to "trap" it in a vessel (like a medicine bag). This might be something that only the Minnenewah learned. The Metahel may just kill every Chenoo they meet.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8128 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2019 :  01:16:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I'm looking into the anchorome product in more detail from the perspective of "find location listed in text, find it on map" and I'm comparing your map in the product and the map pack that was released by the guy that you were working with. In some instances, it looks like the map pack is correct, and in others, its looking like the stuff in the anchorome product is correct, and I'm noting that there's discrepancies between the two on the general shapes of things. Is there a newer update? To give clearer examples, here's the two issues I've noted up so far:

From the Anchorome guide
Aarakocra patrol the northern wilds from their eyrie on Amoyeli Island

It took me a bit to find this, because I was looking at the map pack that the person you were working with for the map released. On it he's showing Amoyeli in the mountains off to the east of the Unole Ama. Just to note, he modified the Unole Ama Lake basin and entirely got rid of this island in his version that you show in the Anchorome product.

Sesnaajiini mountains
From the text of the Anchorome work
snowcapped, high, river runs to fort flame. Poscadari elves along river. desert dwarves roam the base of the mountain.
From the MAP of the Anchorome work
These mountains are shown as the mountains that are between the Pasocada Basin and the land of the insect men. So the text and the map in the same work don't seem to agree
From the map pack that the guy you were working with put out
These mountains are shown to the EAST of the Pasocada Basin not the north and on the other side of the desert and the mountains where the short ones live. Note, this would seem to match the description of text.

The Adusgi Forest
In your anchorome product you're showing this forest pretty far north of Fort Flame, but the guy's map pack is showing this as much smaller and almost directly east of fort flame.

I'm mainly bringing this up in case there's some easy discrepancy where some newer map version needs to be updated. That being said, I bought his map pack on the hopes that I could use it to update things and reference it and keep us all on the same page. Its looking like sorting out the discrepancies are going to make this more of a problem than its worth.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 15 Aug 2019 01:41:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000