Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Halfling magical items
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8204 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2019 :  22:00:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Or maybe anyone entering it gets automatically "adjusted" to hin-size and restored back to normal upon exit (but only if entering/exiting through the door, so anyone getting in through translocation spells or trying to skulk in through the windows/chimney will find itself constricted in awkward positions by the hin-fitting space within, as a little measure of added safety for the hin's inn).

Oh, I like that idea... anyone over 4 foot tall gets reduced. If that were the case.... I can see some halfling bachelors interested in obtaining this.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32279 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  02:36:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That is something to consider, though it does tend to limit the utility of it. It does make it halfling-specific, but a lot of halflings that travel do so in the company of taller folk.

Do many halflings travel? I rather thought the tend to be home bodies. Might travel from one Shire to another, where the item clearly would be useful. Or even the item used to help start to establish a new Shire.
Just a thought, it is big enough that humans can fit after all. Just some would want to sit down soon to a nice meal.

I'm thinking of adventuring halflings. Ones just staying in the Shire wouldn't really need this, because they're going to be near other halfling communities or established waystops. I should think that any halfling communities more that a day's travel from the next community are going to have waystops set up along the route, because having a comfortable place to rest and get out of the elements is very much going to be a thing for them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32279 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  02:39:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Or maybe anyone entering it gets automatically "adjusted" to hin-size and restored back to normal upon exit (but only if entering/exiting through the door, so anyone getting in through translocation spells or trying to skulk in through the windows/chimney will find itself constricted in awkward positions by the hin-fitting space within, as a little measure of added safety for the hin's inn).

That's a little more variant from the base Instant Fortress than I want to go. I was thinking that having the place stocked with food and having a cook there to make meals was kinda pushing the limits of what would be reasonable. (That's why I added the bit about uneaten food dissolving if carried out -- to put a limitation, minor though it may be, on it).

I'm also inclined to think that having it manned by a halfling, and catering to their love of comfort and food, goes a long way towards making this a halfling thing. YMMV, of course.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Apr 2019 02:40:54
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8204 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2019 :  03:10:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

That's a little more variant from the base Instant Fortress than I want to go. I was thinking that having the place stocked with food and having a cook there to make meals was kinda pushing the limits of what would be reasonable. (That's why I added the bit about uneaten food dissolving if carried out -- to put a limitation, minor though it may be, on it).

I'm also inclined to think that having it manned by a halfling, and catering to their love of comfort and food, goes a long way towards making this a halfling thing. YMMV, of course.

What might be interesting in the form of servants would be someone to manage the laundering of clothes, ironing clothes, mending of tears, etc... also perhaps someone to take care of their feet (grooming the hair, soaking and cleaning, clipping the nails, possibly even painting them). Maybe it fills a tub with boiling water. That way the halfling can be "presentable" when they leave, because it just "wouldn't do" to look like a ragamuffin. Now, I'm not picturing a "halfling" servant in this instance, but more something like a construct... but a construct made of something vey weak..... maybe an animated shirt with attached gloves. Of course, that might be a little too magery… but I like the idea that their focus is on keeping up their image.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1662 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2019 :  10:43:18  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but the old (non-advanced) D&D game had a book called The Five Shires that had halfling specific magic items in it. I believe it's tied to the world of Mystara and some of the items were interesting and centered on something called 'blackflame' I think. There was also a dragon article with items specific to halflings and gnomes in it.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6835 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2019 :  14:30:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but the old (non-advanced) D&D game had a book called The Five Shires that had halfling specific magic items in it. I believe it's tied to the world of Mystara and some of the items were interesting and centered on something called 'blackflame' I think. There was also a dragon article with items specific to halflings and gnomes in it.
I recall one of the Basic D&D (Mystara) cyclopedias described some sort of magical item functionally similar to a Cube of the Planes - which could connect Mystara PCs to any world or setting the DM liked (including Gamma World, Boot Hill, Greyhawk, Krynn, Forgotten Realms, etc).

And there's several iterations of all the Savage Coast stuff, some of which contain footnotes about how/where the setting could be inserted into existing settings (like the Realms) if not located on Mystara.

And of course there's always the Demiplane of Dread (Ravenloft) ... the mists can descend upon any place on any world and take things away when they depart ... and the denizens/victims of Ravenloft can (in theory) depart the demiplane for any world it touches. A tenuous planar mechanism but other people and things in canon have been displaced or migrated from world to world through the mists. Other transitive planes (like the Shadowfell, Feywild, Temporal Prime, etc) could theoretically connect Mystara and the Realms in similar fashion although each imposes its own special hazards and such connections aren't as well documented.

I've seen "Blackflame" and "Darkflame" in several adventures, at least one module, at least two rulebooks (of which at least one was Realms-centric). It's even listed in several sources as a fairly ordinary low-level spell for wizards and/or priests - it's one of those things which TSR/WotC duplicated and republished in minor variations many times circa 2E era.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 28 May 2019 14:44:41
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32279 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2019 :  20:45:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I mentioned it in my first post.

Most of those items are the Blackfame stuff, and are a little too tied into the Five Shires to make me want to modify them.

Sleyvas's "folding door of Halfling Holy Holery" is a nifty idea. I'm expanding on that, and making a small portable inn, as my unique halfling magical item. It's more of a McGuffin than anything else, but I'm a bit of an oddball and like to put at least a little development into my McGuffins.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Master of Realmslore

Colombia
1363 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2019 :  23:56:02  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember the hornblades from the Year of the Rogue Dragons novels... is the only halfling-only item I know of

Long ago, in the distant past, they fell into decay. The philosopher’s path... The river of glory... Even the saints resting in the darkness rise up without response and block the way...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000