Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Everything about Shar and her Clergy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  16:52:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

It would still be a bit of a hassle for Shar if Ibranduls followers started crucifying every sharworshipper they got their hands on, wouldn`t it?

No, because Shar's worshippers have a goddess on their side. Thus, they've got the advantage. If Ibrandul's worshippers broke with the Sharran clergy, they'd essentially be powerless.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  23:31:04  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah but in the hassle that follows Besheba would be laughing and Mask would likely try to steal himself some worshippers. *loL*

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  09:09:32  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, Ibranduls followers go over to a god that hates Shar and THEN go on a crusade against them. Does that sound plausible?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  11:23:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, Ibranduls followers go over to a god that hates Shar and THEN go on a crusade against them. Does that sound plausible?

They could do that, but it would still be a handful of people versus a horde. Not much for Shar or her worshippers to worry about.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  15:23:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
They could do that, but it would still be a handful of people versus a horde. Not much for Shar or her worshippers to worry about.

And which God are Ibrandul's followers going to join to conduct this crusade against Shar? Are they going to go to a God with a radically different dogma just to gain revenge?
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  16:52:35  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

And which God are Ibrandul's followers going to join to conduct this crusade against Shar? Are they going to go to a God with a radically different dogma just to gain revenge?

There are hundreds of gods in FR. They are bound to run into someone.
Ps. This is the realms, and everything is possible here.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  17:41:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But, I'm asking you, which clery would take a group of new followers who's sole reason to worship is to gain revenge against Shar? Selune comes to mind, but do her dogmas and Ibrandul's dogma actually match?
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  19:32:47  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That might not be their sole reason to worship but......ugh, I`m getting a headache from all of this.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  21:36:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That might not be their sole reason to worship but......ugh, I`m getting a headache from all of this.

If you feel better, I was going to ask you to describe a situation with a certain clery that you could see Ibrandul's followers going to. I'd be curious to hear you elaborate on your idea.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  05:04:31  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I think of Shar's clergy for some reason I'm always reminded of a certain Temptation of Elminster scene. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  05:09:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

When I think of Shar's clergy for some reason I'm always reminded of a certain Temptation of Elminster scene. :)

For those of us who haven't read the novel...care to elaborate a bit on the scene?
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  05:13:29  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For those of us who haven't read the novel...care to elaborate a bit on the scene?

I don't think I could do Ed justice. :)

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  05:17:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't think I could do Ed justice. :)

Ah, understood. Is this a scene that would definitely be PG-13 rated?
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  16:09:06  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeap. On the alter.

Edited by - SirUrza on 10 Apr 2005 16:09:40
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  16:11:03  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeap. On the alter.

Well, always nice to see fervent worship.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  16:43:32  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol. You could call it that.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  16:48:03  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not wishing to be a nit-picker I'll still make an attempt at it... Wasn't that particular altar more to do with Bane than Shar? (or maybe we're just thinking of different scenes)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  19:18:04  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kajehase, there's a shrine of Bane scene which happened earlier in the novel when Mystra was testing Elminster. Then there's a altar of Shar scene which happens near the end of the novel when the Sharrans decide to steal magic and kill as many of Mystra's worshipers as possible.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  20:23:09  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I stand corrected, or well, sort of at least, since I was thinking of the first one Anyway, just goes to show I shouldn't nit-pick when I can't be bothered to walk the two steps it would take me to reach a spot where I can pull down the book and check my facts first

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 10 Apr 2005 20:26:15
Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  21:34:13  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

What about a deity of vengeance?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  23:40:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mareka

quote:

quote:

quote:

What about a deity of vengeance?

I think that Hoar would leave that one alone... The proper vengeance would be the death of Shar, since she killed Ibrandul. And that's something beyond Hoar and a whole lot of other deities.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  07:49:49  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But if a whole lot of other deities banded together?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  11:25:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But if a whole lot of other deities banded together?

What would this whole lot of deities hope to gain? If it was a whole lot, then you're talking war in the heavens... I don't think anyone is going to start that over the death of a minor godling.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  14:00:14  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well of course they wouldn`t start a war just because of Ibrandul, but it could be an excuse. After all, aren`t there a lot of deities who really don`t like Shar?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  17:12:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well of course they wouldn`t start a war just because of Ibrandul, but it could be an excuse. After all, aren`t there a lot of deities who really don`t like Shar?

Yes, but what now would suddenly make them band together to combat her?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  17:34:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cyric isn't overly popular, either, and he's done a lot more to irk his fellow deities than Shar has. And yet, there's not yet been a holy smackdown attempted against him, at least not in terms of war.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  18:57:26  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, they did try to strip him of his godhood in court........which amounts to the same thing as war.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  19:38:42  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, they did try to strip him of his godhood in court........which amounts to the same thing as war.

So, to take your statement to its logical conclusion, you consider the impeachment of Bill Clinton to have been the same thing as the American Civil War?

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  20:09:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase
So, to take your statement to its logical conclusion, you consider the impeachment of Bill Clinton to have been the same thing as the American Civil War?

Well, the aforementioned individual does think of himself as a God.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  23:16:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Well, the aforementioned individual does think of himself as a God.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000