Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elminster Handing Out Rulebooks & Boxed Sets
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2019 :  05:05:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

quote:
the battle between Elminster, Dalamar, Mordenkainen, and Shaaan the Serpent Queen

What battle? Where can I find info on this?

It was one of the old Wizards Three articles in Dragon Magazine (back when it was really a print magazine, and not a handful of web articles).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2019 :  05:09:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

Some fun questions:

a) If there's a Weave or something that allows magic to work on Earth... and I think we must assume it does as far as the game goes (per Wooly's reasoning above)... how and why have there never been any public displays of magic, accidental or otherwise? Especially after the spread of multimedia with camera phones, are all attempts to "show the world magic exists" stymied in some way?

My personal thinking is that either magical knowledge was lost, here, or there is someone out there who is making sure it's actively suppressed.

If it's the latter, it could be something like Rowling's Ministry of Magic, or it could be some shadowy group that keeps that knowledge for itself, or even some form of Inquisition that zealously hunts down any practitioners and then deals with the witnesses, to keep anyone else from finding out.

And if it's the former, it could be because of that Inquisition group, or because mages went into hiding and died out, or because of cycles of high magic and low, like in Shadowrun.

There's also the Dresden Files approach: Magic exists, and no one is actively hiding it -- but anyone who sees magic assumes it was something else, because hey, everyone knows magic isn't real!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 May 2019 05:10:26
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2019 :  05:13:46  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Also, physics work differently, hence gunpower here and smokepowder there. Magic might work, but things might work in such a way that make it dangerous to use and it's not worth delving into to attempt, or the way to do so safely has been forgotten.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2019 :  06:12:02  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC Earth is the least magical world in the D&D multiverse. Or, well, the least magical of the Earth-like worlds (Earth, Uerth, Aerth, Yarth and Oerth).

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 06 May 2019 06:13:38
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2019 :  19:29:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

Some fun questions:

a) If there's a Weave or something that allows magic to work on Earth... and I think we must assume it does as far as the game goes (per Wooly's reasoning above)... how and why have there never been any public displays of magic, accidental or otherwise? Especially after the spread of multimedia with camera phones, are all attempts to "show the world magic exists" stymied in some way?

b) Elminster never does anything without a deeper, craftier reason, so why would he promote knowledge of Abeir-Toril through a game? Are gamers more likely to be accepting or understanding of other worlds through magic portals? Or does he need/want at least a segment of the population to know?

Of course magic exists on Earth. There's this thing called "the internet" which is an advanced combination of scrying and other forms of divination, illusion, and enchantment.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2019 :  19:53:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I really don't remember or not, but isn't it only heavily alluded but not actually downright said that the Imaskari abducted people from Earth and not actually explicitly said? Meaning there might not be Imaskari portals.

That's correct, and I personally prefer that they not be from earth. I actually prefer that given the amount of time... maybe the people from earth were instead people from that other world who used spelljamming to come to earth. I mean we have all these "UFO stories" for the Egyptians, etc... what if THAT is the truth. For that matter, combining the concept with some of the concepts of Stargate could be very interesting IF we were to discover that the Stargate isn't jumping within the same universe. The manifestations as "Goa'uld" without being "worms in a human host"... but rather avatars inhabiting a human host like happened in the ToT… and the Jaffa race of human like beings would very much fit with the Mulans as a servitor race of divine beings with an Egyptian feel.

Obviously that world isn't WITHOUT magic of some sort, because portals did work there that the Imaskari used, and I'd bet the Imaskari used magic to enslave the Mulan people. The main question may come down to what level of magical skill did they have (i.e. were they like pre-Netherese humans in the northlands). After all, we know that the Imaskari got these humans "from two different regions and two different times" on the same world. So, each gate was not only opening a portal across space. They were also opening it across time. Heck, for all we know, they could have pulled those humans from Abeir (and before you poo poo that idea, look at the Untheric gods and tell me how many of them couldn't be gods of elements or negative energy, and thus matching up to the ideas of primordials... and then look at that primordial Ubtao... etc...)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000