Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elminster Handing Out Rulebooks & Boxed Sets
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2019 :  16:58:19  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So my wife and I were watching the tv show "The Goldbergs" (which I recommend to everyone!) and an episode called "Dungeons & Dragons Anyone?" came on (for sure at least watch that one!).

It got me to thinking though: how often might Elminster have visited Earth PRIOR to visiting Ed???

Was he at Woodstock? Did he see the World Wars? The Hundred Years War? How far back does his visitation go...

And if it was way back, did he use his visits to inspire people down certain paths.

The reason I'm being silly with this is that I'm thinking of having the party go through a "reverse portal" to Earth for an adventure where they have to recover something lost through the portal.

Would this be a good point for Elminster to encounter the group for the first time as sort of a "Lets get you all home so you don't mess up Earth!" or what have you.

Does the party go to a local library to recover a tome only to discover Ed Greenwood talking to Elminster...or even later and El is in disguise handing out rulebooks for D&D?

Not sure where to go with this one...but the question remains:

How long has Elminster been visiting Earth before Ed Greenwood was alive?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 17 Apr 2019 16:59:43

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2019 :  17:19:02  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found Yellowstone at about 1894...

Still looking for earlier.

EDIT:

changed to correct year...thanks Wooly

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 17 Apr 2019 17:22:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2019 :  17:21:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Realmspace, he has a portal keyed to Yellowstone National Park, in 1894.

On a related note, I recently asked Ed if anyone from the Realms had gone to Earth and stayed there -- after all, we know of multiple wizards that have gone to Ed's place, or to TSR headquarters. I also asked if any dragons had journeyed to Earth.

Ed's response was that there was a big NDA in place, there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2019 :  17:22:45  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

According to Realmspace, he has a portal keyed to Yellowstone National Park, in 1894.

On a related note, I recently asked Ed if anyone from the Realms had gone to Earth and stayed there -- after all, we know of multiple wizards that have gone to Ed's place, or to TSR headquarters. I also asked if any dragons had journeyed to Earth.

Sounds like a big fat yes.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2019 :  17:05:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was El SECRETLY also visiting George Lucas and showed him a brilliant energy vorpal weapon? Were "star destroyers" actually just spelljammers, and travelling at light speed simply passing through a crystal sphere?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2019 :  17:14:12  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

I'm guessing Will Wheaton. He seems like a Red Wizard of Thay.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2019 :  17:47:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

quote:

I'm guessing Will Wheaton. He seems like a Red Wizard of Thay.

Nah, not enough tattoos.... unless he's using a hat of disguise.... hmmm....

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2019 :  00:00:59  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well crap, I HATE NDAs lol. Now I'm reeeaaallly interested to know who is hiding out on Earth.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2019 :  03:24:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Well crap, I HATE NDAs lol. Now I'm reeeaaallly interested to know who is hiding out on Earth.

It's Bill Gates. He's secretly a Red Wizard. It was, in fact, his idea for the Thayan mercantile enclaves. The early ones were partially funded by sales of Windows 98.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2019 :  17:10:55  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I'm thinking it would be agents of certain power groups but I now have this nagging suspicion in my head that, among groups such as the Harpers and the Zhentarim, one of the most likely candidates would be the Twisted Rune...and that's scary.

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2019 :  16:55:58  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So my wife and I were watching the tv show "The Goldbergs" (which I recommend to everyone!) and an episode called "Dungeons & Dragons Anyone?" came on (for sure at least watch that one!).

It got me to thinking though: how often might Elminster have visited Earth PRIOR to visiting Ed???

Was he at Woodstock? Did he see the World Wars? The Hundred Years War? How far back does his visitation go...

And if it was way back, did he use his visits to inspire people down certain paths.

I sure hope Elminster was always mindful of the "Prime Directive" hehehe.

P.S. D&D's canonical Baba Yaga is also a time traveller. But she was apparently a meddler in Earth history. In the old Dragon Magazine article adventure devoted to her, Baba's Hut is spacious inside (like a dimensional pocket with vast amount of space), and she has a museum that contains a Soviet tank, among other "trophies" she collected from the past.

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2019 :  16:57:47  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Was El SECRETLY also visiting George Lucas and showed him a brilliant energy vorpal weapon? Were "star destroyers" actually just spelljammers, and travelling at light speed simply passing through a crystal sphere?

I posit that Jar Jar Binks only existed because of El's meddling in 1980s Earth history.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2019 :  17:05:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

quote:

P.S. D&D's canonical Baba Yaga is also a time traveller. But she was apparently a meddler in Earth history. In the old Dragon Magazine article adventure devoted to her, Baba's Hut is spacious inside (like a dimensional pocket with vast amount of space), and she has a museum that contains a Soviet tank, among other "trophies" she collected from the past.

Baba Yaga has shown up in a lot of RPG settings. She's a fourth-generation Nosferatu in the old Vampire: The Masquerade game; there are some scary D&D versions of her (depending on edition); in Pathfinder, she conquered one of the northern nations in a matter of days *and* is the mother of the historical Rasputin; and the Iron Kingdoms even has a version of her -- though they just call her the Old Witch and make her a powerful warcaster.

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2019 :  03:13:05  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My 1st thought was, so Manshoon hid a clone here as well. And Azoun IV may have visited Earth in his ne'er do well youth.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2019 :  13:43:54  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Posted by Rymac:

quote:
My 1st thought was, so Manshoon hid a clone here as well. And Azoun IV may have visited Earth in his ne'er do well youth.

Now THIS I like. The idea that Azoun had a love-child on Earth brings up all sorts of cool possibilities. I wonder if he was at Woodstock?

Manshoon stashing a clone here raises the question as to why he didn't port over any tech to the Realms. Imagine the Zhentarim with modern firearms at their disposal.

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2019 :  14:24:47  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any spellcaster could casually declare himself absolute god-king of Earth. There's exactly diddly-squat that anyone could do against high level wizards.

Basically, this is a can of worms that nobody needs to open. Manshoon could declare himself God-Emperor and barring PIS, there is nothing anyone could do to stop the teleporting, mind-reading psycho who could be anywhere on the planet, listening in on your private conversations while chilling and enjoying a pina colada while disguised as the President of the United States.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2019 :  15:02:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Any spellcaster could casually declare himself absolute god-king of Earth. There's exactly diddly-squat that anyone could do against high level wizards.

Basically, this is a can of worms that nobody needs to open. Manshoon could declare himself God-Emperor and barring PIS, there is nothing anyone could do to stop the teleporting, mind-reading psycho who could be anywhere on the planet, listening in on your private conversations while chilling and enjoying a pina colada while disguised as the President of the United States.

Ah, but who's to say that there aren't people here to prevent exactly that sort of thing from happening?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2019 :  16:01:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

quote:

So... Baba Yaga is a time traveler... who uses a transportive device that's larger on the inside than the outside.... could it be that one of the reincarnations of Doctor Wh... no don't even think it …..

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2019 :  16:06:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ah, but who's to say that there aren't people here to prevent exactly that sort of thing from happening?

Yeah, are you saying I'm lazy and not doing my jo.... I mean, um, yes, yes, you're right, that's very scary. I mean he could be the president... or the pope... I mean he's probably Vladimir Putin himself.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2019 :  22:47:17  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But Doctor Who would stop him dead in his tracks.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2019 :  01:56:57  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I remember I brought this up years ago at the WotC boards in relation to the coming 4e time jump and the weirdness it would cause regarding the portals/connections to Earth and someone reported me and tried to get me banned for threatening Ed Greenwood. Good times, lol.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2019 :  05:21:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I remember I brought this up years ago at the WotC boards in relation to the coming 4e time jump and the weirdness it would cause regarding the portals/connections to Earth and someone reported me and tried to get me banned for threatening Ed Greenwood. Good times, lol.

I do not miss those forums at all.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2019 :  14:31:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sheesh... all you wanted to do was warn El so that he could make an adjustment to appear at the right coordinates in the time/space continuum. Some people.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2019 :  21:01:06  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-It was someone who posted here too.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2019 :  22:08:05  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-It was someone who posted here too.

Indeed, lol

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2019 :  01:02:08  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps there are still Imaskari portals connecting to what is now Egypt and Iraq. When the Imaskari wizards abducted the Mulan people, I would expect the grabbed Mulhorandi, Untheric and Chessentan people from these areas.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2019 :  01:12:47  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Would it also be reasonable to assume Earth does not have a Weave like Toril? Spellcasting would be far more difficult and presumably far riskier to the caster. Earth building that have been remodeled over the centuries would be death traps when teleporting with 500 year old outdated memories.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2019 :  07:45:38  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I really don't remember or not, but isn't it only heavily alluded but not actually downright said that the Imaskari abducted people from Earth and not actually explicitly said? Meaning there might not be Imaskari portals.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2019 :  15:25:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:

quote:

Would it also be reasonable to assume Earth does not have a Weave like Toril? Spellcasting would be far more difficult and presumably far riskier to the caster. Earth building that have been remodeled over the centuries would be death traps when teleporting with 500 year old outdated memories.

It may or may not have a Weave, but given the battle between Elminster, Dalamar, Mordenkainen, and Shaaan the Serpent Queen -- as well as visits by other Realms mages -- we can assume that magic is functionally similar.

Remember, the Weave is basically just a power grid. Your house and my house might be wired different, but take a lamp from one, and it'll function the same in the other.

Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2019 :  16:40:34  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some fun questions:

a) If there's a Weave or something that allows magic to work on Earth... and I think we must assume it does as far as the game goes (per Wooly's reasoning above)... how and why have there never been any public displays of magic, accidental or otherwise? Especially after the spread of multimedia with camera phones, are all attempts to "show the world magic exists" stymied in some way?

b) Elminster never does anything without a deeper, craftier reason, so why would he promote knowledge of Abeir-Toril through a game? Are gamers more likely to be accepting or understanding of other worlds through magic portals? Or does he need/want at least a segment of the population to know?

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2019 :  20:10:59  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
the battle between Elminster, Dalamar, Mordenkainen, and Shaaan the Serpent Queen

What battle? Where can I find info on this?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000