Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Help with Eraka (Moonsea)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2019 :  16:21:18  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm collecting lore on the Barbarians of the Ride. I'm particullar interested in the following bits:

The Vaegould.The bloodthirsty “gods” worshiped by the Vaegould are in fact elemental princes or aspects of ancient primordials.
* Which one exactly? I know that they are related to Maram of the Great Spear, but the Vaegoulds of Monuments of the Ancient are stony type barbarians (in 4E)

The Varm. The Varm practice totem magic and venerate primal spirits.
I found a note somewhere that one of their totem is Raven. Certaintly not the Uthgarth Black Raven. But which Raven instead? Trickster Raven from indian mythos or Raven spirit (Rillifane) or Queen of Raven?

How would you model these guys ruleswise across the editions?
There is really not much about these dudes.

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2019 :  17:05:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The barbarians of the ride are in part descended from the barbarians of Netheril (angardt or rengarth depending upon how you read the quote). The barbarians of Netheril are also ancestors of the uthgardt so it is entirely possible that the totem worship came from Netheril and spread to both regions separately. While the uthgardt found an exceptional beast to worship in the form of those huge ravens, the varm remain true to an ancestor spirit type creature that they call the raven which represents wisdom and cunning (or at least that's how I was going to spin it in my Netheril rewrite if I had gotten as far as the diaspora age

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Brix
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2019 :  17:01:02  Show Profile Send Brix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a point!
Which Raven would you suggest then?
Raven (Trickster) from the Indian Mythos? He appeared at least once in Tales from the Outer Planes, which has ties to the Forgotten Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2019 :  17:55:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I don't stick to the widely held realms model where gods talk to there worshippers and control the form of that worship.

Instead I think the worship shapes the god and his aims and in some cases create a the god. Not all worship has to involve a deity and in previous editions priests could cast spells up to 2nd level without selecting any deity to worship at all.

So the Varm worship some raven spirit that they believe represents some aspect of humanity. They have myths and legends derived from their history which shapes their belief of the raven into a wide spirit or a trickster spirit or whatever you desire.
If enough people worship this ideal of the raven then an actual god is born. Alternatively some other religion of a related god can attempt to subvert the worship of the Varm towards their own religion.

At the end of the day if the Varm worship a real god he almost certainly isn't going to turn up and inform them of who he is and what he wants so the truth behind their worship is unimportant.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page