Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Canon (again)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alexander Clark
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2019 :  22:39:23  Show Profile Send Alexander Clark a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am sorry to bother ya with that topic yet again, but I find lots of mentions that Ed stated that anything published with FR logo is canon.

They post it on the wiki:
"Canon", according to Ed Greenwood, is any published source relating to the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. This means that if it is for sale in paper (or digital) form then it is official Realmslore"

And I see the same thing mentioned on this here forum:
"The most recent stuff I saw was from mid-2000's, Ed says "any published source"

But I can't find the original source proving that Ed ever said something like that. The closest thing I could find is that:
"anything I write or say about the Realms IS official canon"

So does anyone have the source for that Ed statement?

Update: Actually, Candlekeep's FAQ has that:
Jim Butler gives the official (or canon) answer ;)

Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon. Where two sources contradict one another, a decision needs to be made as to which one should be followed. For game products, that would mean you'd follow a game product over a novel. Later products have precedence over older products.

Can it be that people misattribute Butler's quote to Greenwood?

Edited by - Alexander Clark on 19 Mar 2019 23:07:38

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  03:16:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, Ed has on many occasions stated that his contract with TSR/WotC is such that anything that he says about the Realms is canon unless superseded or contradicted by an officially published company product. Obviously, all published FR products are canon although there is some "grey area" when it comes to the "outcomes" of the various computer games. Elements of those games (i.e. characters and some of the events) are certainly canon if put into a novel or published game product.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  08:18:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

No, Ed has on many occasions stated that his contract with TSR/WotC is such that anything that he says about the Realms is canon unless superseded or contradicted by an officially published company product. Obviously, all published FR products are canon although there is some "grey area" when it comes to the "outcomes" of the various computer games. Elements of those games (i.e. characters and some of the events) are certainly canon if put into a novel or published game product.

-- George Krashos

...With the exception of the Double Diamond Triangle Saga series of books, which WotC called "Apocrypha / Volo's Attempts at Fiction" in their long-ago "Presenting . . . Seven Millennia of Realms Fiction" web article/fiction chronology.

Of course, since the advent of 3E, "canon" has become kind of a lose concept for WotC; they have developed a tendency to ignore prior canon on a distressingly regular basis.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Mar 2019 08:19:45
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Clark
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  10:58:15  Show Profile Send Alexander Clark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
With the exception of the Double Diamond Triangle Saga series of books, which WotC called "Apocrypha / Volo's Attempts at Fiction" in their long-ago "Presenting . . . Seven Millennia of Realms Fiction" web article/fiction chronology.

Thanks, that's an interesting bit of information. I found that article archived.
http://web.archive.org/web/20030626011859/http://www.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/FR_Timeline2.asp#Apocrypha

quote:
Of course, since the advent of 3E, "canon" has become kind of a lose concept for WotC; they have developed a tendency to ignore prior canon on a distressingly regular basis.

I just wanted Ed's quote for a debate on another forum. I mean I can just give them a link to FR wiki, but I like to use sources better than that.

Edited by - Alexander Clark on 20 Mar 2019 11:04:24
Go to Top of Page

Matthian
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  11:35:47  Show Profile Send Matthian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
...With the exception of the Double Diamond Triangle Saga series of books

Why did they remove that specific series from canon? Was it especially bad or something?
Go to Top of Page

Bulak
Acolyte

Netherlands
26 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  11:51:46  Show Profile Send Bulak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=556
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Making the Double Diamond Triangle Saga the work of Volo (and hence fiction within fiction) was one of the last FR decisions made by Steven Schend before he left WotC. It didn't fit into plans for FR 3E, was a noose around designers necks as it was set so far into the future, and wasn't an all that brilliant FR product in the first place. It wasn't a tough decision to make.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  12:04:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't have said it better myself.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000