Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Sails and Scales Adventure
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2019 :  18:30:19  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
5e / Forgotten Realms

I like the Saurials

I like them so much I wrote a supplement on them for the dmsguild.

I also wrote a 4 hour con game where saurials look for dragonbait in chult.

With the soon to be released ghost of saltmarsh, I want to go back to an idea I had.

My concept is "the scales and sails adventure."

My idea is that you play a group of saurials on the high seas, most likely after finding dragonbait.

I'm thinking of placing it in the Nelanther Isles

I want to make it somewhat goonie like (aka a bit of a fun house in feel)

I already know I'm going to have a bullywug pirate crew chase them at some point,

but seeing what ideas if you are dinosaur folk riding around in the high seas, what would you want to do?

and more importantly, how long should it be before it outlives it welcome? I'm thinking 2-3 gaming sessions with enough plot hooks for a savvy dm to build off of for their own stuff.

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2019 :  00:51:28  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’m not sure which issue it was in exactly but the Dungeon Magazine adventure path “The Savage Tide” has a really great little encounter with a malignant sargasso - I believe known as the “mother of all”, that made a very unique encounter for the high seas. I’d recommend incorporating something similar in any seaborne adventure. Each stranded ship in the sargasso made for a great little mini-location to explore. If I find the issue # and you’re interested I’ll get back to you .

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2019 :  00:49:23  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sure, I'd be interested in figuring out which dungeon mag it is. :)

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2019 :  03:20:22  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found it. It’s the Sea Wyvern’s Wake in Dungeon issue 141. I remember that encounter being very memorable.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  01:21:25  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ty kindly. :)

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  01:40:54  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem! Hope you get to use it. The Mother of All was a nasty critter.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  06:07:38  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I learned about the saurials, I've always had the idea of sending a small delegation to Tymanther. I guess they'll get along with the dragonborn.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  12:05:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Along similar lines, I remember when we were all wondering if Abeir didn't have a bunch of saurials (as in the Sarrukh were just one form of the early Saurials before the realms split). I rather liked that idea. Granted, the saurials of today and the saurials of Abeir may have diverged heavily over about 30 millenia. Some might even believe that the dragonborn of Abeir came from draconic mating with saurials of certain types. It doesn't have to be true, it could just be a belief in some cultures of Abeir.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 13 Mar 2019 12:06:47
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  14:50:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Along similar lines, I remember when we were all wondering if Abeir didn't have a bunch of saurials (as in the Sarrukh were just one form of the early Saurials before the realms split). I rather liked that idea. Granted, the saurials of today and the saurials of Abeir may have diverged heavily over about 30 millenia. Some might even believe that the dragonborn of Abeir came from draconic mating with saurials of certain types. It doesn't have to be true, it could just be a belief in some cultures of Abeir.

I still think the saurials are from a third, unnamed world, and that they couldn't be from Abeir.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  16:07:08  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The shalarin were said to be from another world until a later source then said they came from a sea on the other side of toril (or is it the other way around).

The point is lore is quite fluid when it comes to origins, and quite rightly so, as far as the saurials are concerned they come from another land, but without modern technology who knows where that land is precisely.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  20:19:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

The shalarin were said to be from another world until a later source then said they came from a sea on the other side of toril (or is it the other way around).

Nope. Shalarin were intro'ed in Sea of Fallen Stars, which says on page 99 "Some sages theorize that this sea is either on the far-off planet of Karpri in Realmspace or on the other side of the planet Toril!"

quote:

The point is lore is quite fluid when it comes to origins, and quite rightly so, as far as the saurials are concerned they come from another land, but without modern technology who knows where that land is precisely.

We know that land isn't Abeir, because they had gods and didn't have the Steelsky.

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  21:03:45  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just to put my two cents in, I believe it is called the Sea of Corynactis. Do I also remember them worshiping Dagon, or was that fanon somewhere?

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 13 Mar 2019 21:04:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2019 :  02:05:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:

Just to put my two cents in, I believe it is called the Sea of Corynactis. Do I also remember them worshiping Dagon, or was that fanon somewhere?

The Sea of Corynactis is correct. I don't recall the Dagon part.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2019 :  22:29:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:

The Dagon link comes from Dragon #355, Demon Cults of the Realms by Eric Boyd.

Dagon restricted the influence of the deities venerated by the shalarin (see monsters of Faerun) who dwell in the Sea of Corynactis on the far side of Abeir-Toril, West of Maztica, to the confines of the Shalarin homeland. With his trap thus prepared, the Prince of darkened depths unleashed the first of five "wild tides", the goal of which was to sweep large numbers of Shalarin into the sea of fallen stars (and out of the Sea of Corynactis) where they could be destroyed by Dagon's readied armies.

it then goes on to give more detail on the wild tides historically.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2019 :  00:39:48  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't matter where is the original world of the saurials, though. I firmly believe they'll get along with the dragonborn regardless of origins. They are soul siblings, I'm sure of it

Proof? Their most famous individuals in Faerun are followers of gods from the Triad (Dragonbait and Medrash) (?)

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 15 Mar 2019 00:52:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000