Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Cover Art
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2019 :  03:59:15  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stephen Fabian was OBSESSED with borders. Like every illustration had a border that was as intricate as the drawing... :P He also did a LOT for the D&D / Mystara setting books.
Go to Top of Page

gylippus
Seeker

33 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2019 :  02:07:11  Show Profile Send gylippus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, I finished the Crypt of the Shadowking and wanted to comment on the cover. It is by Fred Fields, who also did Red Magic. I can't complain about his artwork. He does amazing art. However, I think the cover is definitely a loose interpretation of the events at the end of the book.

The Caledan figure on the cover seems accurate to me. I can't really see his face so it is hard to say, but everything else about him is close. Same with the Mari character.

My biggest issue is the Shadowking himself. In the book he has antlers and huge wings. The rest of the body is moderately accurate. He has sharp fangs and hooves.

The setting on the cover looks more like a cavern, whereas in the book the crypt is a large circular chamber of finished black stone. Plus, I don't think the Shadowking actually came out of a casket. The shadowking transformed Rivendas' body.

Still, I like the artwork and the cover catches your attention.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000