Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 FR Podcast
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2019 :  01:56:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Delete Topic
Hi all the "Friends of Ed Greenwood" Facebook page is organising a recorded interview with Ed and I this Saturday (Friday night in the US)which will eventually be uploaded to YouTube. If you have any questions you want to put to Ed, me or both of us, please post them here so they can be collated and hopefully answered in a suitably sagacious manner.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2019 :  03:29:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Ed,

Can you officially name all of the "unknown" continents for us from the Scholar's view of Abeir-Toril? Granted, I know it could have ALL changed with the spellplague, but it would be nice to not have people wondering which continent is definitely Katashaka, which is Osse for certain, etc... I know we have that map of Markustay's that's been floating around with some names that most of us have accepted, but "land of the flying monkeys"... Also, if any of them have alternate names (i.e. Faerunians call it X, but natives call it Y, and the Shou call it Z)… that might be interesting to know.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2019 :  22:32:21  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message
I have a few some aren't directly Realms related but here goes:
There are plenty of tips, tricks and guides for writing books out there. I was curious if there were any tips for writing and organizing notes for a new FR project/adventure? Do you use some sort of template as a guide?

I do my best to try to weave as many threads and hooks into my Forgotten Realms quests as possible. I have gotten better at having my players identifying the dangling bait but inevitably weeks or months later they have forgotten all about it. Do you make your players rely on their notes? Do you give them dice rolls to see if their characters would remember this or that piece of information? Or do you just include it in recaps?

Any more information on Chronomancers or Chronomancy in the Forgotten Realms? The only Chronomancer I know of is Jeriah Chronos.

P.S. If you plan to use my handles/names mine is pronounced ghel-kur

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2019 :  00:20:08  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message

"Hi, Ed. How are you?"

and

"George, you've been writing and wrangling Realmslore for a number of years and a number of edition changes. What keeps you from burning out and what keeps you coming back?"

As to actual Realmslore, I suspect the format won't allow for "hold on, give me about 40 minutes to dig through my loreboxes" -type answers, but it might be worth a look through the last year or so of the "Ask Ed" thread; there's bound to be more than a few readily answerable queries lost in those lonely depths.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2019 :  00:59:46  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
Mmm I've burned all my questions in Twitter. So, one on the fly:

For Ed:
"Is the Eminence of Araunt active in Faerūn in the post-Second Sundering Realms?

Do you know if your Stormtalon novels have been translated in foreign languages (such as Spanish)?"

And for George:
"Do you have plans to update your Great History of Impiltur to 1490s DR?"

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2019 :  13:30:01  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
For Ed:

1)It must be amazing to see what other creative people have done with your world. Who are among your favourite creations (in terms of characters or even bits of lore) created by other authors/creators in the Realms? Particularly interested in your favourites from the 80s and 90s characters/concepts.

2) How would we ever be able to get a Volo's Guide to the Moonsea produced? I'd sponsor it myself if there was a way! Would the DM's Guild ever be a format to get such a work done via some kind of Pantheon/Kickstarter/crowd funder?

3) In "your" Realms - what has become of Naergoth Bladelord and Salvarad and Zilvreen from the Saerloonian Cult Leadership?

Thanks for any and all responses :) :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2019 :  17:12:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I still want to know more about Susprina Arkenneld.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2019 :  09:24:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Hi Ed, George.

My question is about illuskan society on the sword coast, how is that society structured, how does that structure function in regards to the law, is there any social mobility upwards or downwards. How do the common people interact with nobility and how do they live in this society.

Most importantly how is this current version of society (with established nobility and most land claimed/owned) different from earlier periods when settlements were new.

If it helps my particular period and place of interest is stornanter so I'm talking about illuskans post their merging with netherese populations.

Kind Regards

Gary

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2019 :  09:25:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Also any interesting customs and insights would be fab

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2019 :  11:59:55  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
Ed,

Can you describe some of the currency employed in Aryvandaar (fell - in -9000 DR), Eaerlannn (fell in 883 DR), Siluvanede, (fell in 883 DR), and Sharrven (fell in -2770 DR)?

Was there currency? What form did it take? Is it still in use today? Would the elves in each kingdom's heyday have buried it in tombs for any reason?

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2019 :  15:01:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

For Ed:
"Is the Eminence of Araunt active in Faerūn in the post-Second Sundering Realms?

Let me second this question.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2019 :  15:02:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

For Ed:

Let me second this question.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2019 :  17:05:05  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
I guess I have another question for Ed. I know blood magic is a thing in the Realms, but how does it works?

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2019 :  23:16:42  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi George,

In one of the previous podcasts Ed mentioned a bit about dwarven feuds. I'd love to know more about this topic in order to bring a shield dwarf city to life. Specific examples of feuds? If/when do dwarves actually try to kill one another or go to war with another clan? Any lines they will not cross in villainy (theft seems to be one from Dwarves Deep)? If I were to include a place for the discussion, the dwarves under the Far Hills or the rumored lost clan of dwarves in the Storm Horns would be awesome for some info, but even hypothetical examples would be great. :)

The War of Gold and Gloom ended on an interesting note. Are the dwarves and duergar still together? How is that working out?

Hope this isn't too many questions. Thanks! :)

Edited by - Eilserus on 22 Feb 2019 23:17:37
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2019 :  01:50:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Thanks to everyone for contributing questions. We got to most of them over a nearly 3 hour chat and I look forward to what the finished product will be like. More to come, so if anyone has any other questions, keep 'em coming.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2019 :  12:18:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Have you got a link to the video so I can have a listen

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Clark
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2019 :  14:21:43  Show Profile Send Alexander Clark a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
More to come, so if anyone has any other questions, keep 'em coming.

Are you going to have interviews like that on regular basis?
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2019 :  15:25:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Next question for Ed or George or whoever can answer, and hopefully it doesn't make Ed groan inside, but could he elaborate upon the beginnings of the church of Helm (not the god). So what timeframe (approximately), what region, what people, did the church arise out of cults or smaller churches merging. I'm not asking for a big historical evaluation (although that would be nice) just a clue or two as to it's origin pretty please

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2019 :  16:29:58  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
Here's one for George: Can you elaborate on the founding of Neverwinter? And, if possible, reconcile the stories of Eigger and Halueth Never.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 24 Feb 2019 16:30:42
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2019 :  22:09:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Ed,

Can you officially name all of the "unknown" continents for us from the Scholar's view of Abeir-Toril? Granted, I know it could have ALL changed with the spellplague, but it would be nice to not have people wondering which continent is definitely Katashaka, which is Osse for certain, etc... I know we have that map of Markustay's that's been floating around with some names that most of us have accepted, but "land of the flying monkeys"... Also, if any of them have alternate names (i.e. Faerunians call it X, but natives call it Y, and the Shou call it Z)… that might be interesting to know.

Hey George... did Ed answer this? And please don't tell me his answer was just "yes"

Ah, I'm guessin this is under the mages and sages podcast where there's a link there. Guess I'll listen to the latest edition of that from 3 days ago? Hopefully that's it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 27 Feb 2019 22:19:39
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  00:58:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
We did address the question but you'll have to wait for the podcast. I suspect it won't necessarily be the response you would have preferred.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  01:01:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander Clark

quote:

The one I was involved in has not yet been edited and finalised. Jeff Thetford is working hard on it as we speak.

Yes, I think the plan going forward is to do these on a semi-regular basis and Eric Boyd has signed up for the next one - I may step out or not. We'll see.

Of course, the quality of the Q&A sessions is dependant on the questions received, so keep 'em coming.

Ed did note in the last podcast that more narrow questions are preferable to broad, "tell me about the gods"-type questions.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 28 Feb 2019 01:01:55
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  02:51:48  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message
Big time meta question:

How do you organize and collate ALL of your Realms knowledge and lore?

I feel like there is SO much information, that I cannot possibly use it all and/or organize it in a meaningful way.
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Clark
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  14:21:13  Show Profile Send Alexander Clark a Private Message
That stuff went hardcore. I've no idea what to ask Eric Boys cause I am not sure what he specializes on.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  16:11:10  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
quote:

That stuff went hardcore. I've no idea what to ask Eric Boys cause I am not sure what he specializes on.

Ask me anything 1375 or earlier. You can see books I wrote by putting my name into Amazon.

Particular focus of late is Shining Vale and High Forest.

Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  17:13:20  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Ask me anything 1375 or earlier. You can see books I wrote by putting my name into Amazon.

Eric

This is the perfect time to pump you for information on your famous High Forest supplement

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  23:20:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:

We did address the question but you'll have to wait for the podcast. I suspect it won't necessarily be the response you would have preferred.

-- George Krashos

Ah, its fine, we've debated whether Katashaka is the big land mass or the smaller one to the east (that's the only big thing that might mess with me... and its easy enough to say that the people that settled it messed up.... look at Columbus and Indians). Unless the response is one more of "I'd like to leave it open for development" or "I can't because of an NDA" or somesuch. Anyway, it would just hopefully be good to finalize on some things.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  23:23:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Eric

If you had to pick a god for yourself Eric that you just really have more interest in... which would it be? I only ask this because of all the rich development you had with them, so I'd be intrigued if any particular one just struck a chord for you.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  23:24:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Eric

If you had to pick a god for yourself Eric that you just really have more interest in... which would it be? I only ask this because of all the rich development you had with them, so I'd be intrigued if any particular one just struck a chord for you.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2019 :  00:02:10  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message
quote:

Ed did note in the last podcast that more narrow questions are preferable to broad, "tell me about the gods"-type questions.

Oh, I've got "narrow" (obscure is a type of narrow, right?);

Ed, in the Spelljammer supplement SJR1 Lost Ships one of the delightful personalities you get to meet is a Sharangar Szeltune. Any relation to Mhair Szeltune of the Watchful Order? How so? And is she indeed from Greyhawk or is the phrase "....the last surviving member of a long-ago adventuring band – humans who sought fortunes in the stars when the civilization of Blackmoor was at its height on the Greyhawk of years ago" just a fanciful way of saying she's really old?

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2019 :  17:51:19  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage Send JEThetford a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Yes, there are! Our next interview will be with Ed, George and Eric Boyd. So send in those questions!

The only good Drow, is a dead Drow.

Aaomas Balkrim, Drow Hunter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000