Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 5th edition??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2019 :  18:16:12  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really think every edition comes down to how the DM runs it and what directions he points his players in. I, like others, have a lot invested in previous edition rule books so I focus on buying adventures or settings books that might be "useful", easy to backport or for ideas to steal. The edition you know backwards/forwards/upside-down is also the easiest to often run. As many have said, and it is my feeling too, 5E is the easiest to pick up especially for new players.

I personally love character creation as much as playing a character or DMing a quest. So 3.5E lets me have the most fun, I jot down fun character ideas in a notepad and when I'm feeling creative I try to stat them out. Often I ignore Class/PrC/Feat names just trying to get the right feel. Oddly for me it is a weird give and take, the fluff idea leads to interesting crunch mechanics which leads to background, back and forth sort of weaving an interesting tapestry. When I do get a chance to game, players and DM agree on a power level so things don't get out of hand. I also find power level an interesting mechanic as it relates to RP, the country bumpkin who became a fighter isn't the min/max type but the pupil of the master swordsman who was raised to slay the great evil probably is.

At some point I will share the "Epic level" rogue,, that I've been working on for 2 years. Why 2 years? Well he has a business rivaling Aurora's, he has a Griffon Cohort/Mount, he has a Dragon Cohort who has a Cohort, and on it goes.

Remember the important thing is to have fun.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000